Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Champions Online

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Sep 01, 2009

Champions Online is a superhero action-MMORPG for PC. It was developed by Cryptic Studios, the makers of City of Heroes.

Bill Roper on: Nemesis system, costumes, environments, and more!

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By BiggerBomb

There is no reason for me to write an essay, in showcasing Allakhazam's latest interview with Cryptic's Bill Roper. But I will provide you with a link to their interesting little sit down, as well as which of Bill's sentiments I found to be the most appealing. Linkage: http://allakhazam.com/story.html?story=16753

Highlight:

Tamat : Creating your own Nemesis sounds like a great idea. Can you give us any more details on this aspect of the game? Will this enemy be with you for the long haul, such as through future expansions?

BillRoper : The Nemesis system allows players to create a series of villains that become a part of their personal storyline and challenge them unlike any other enemies in the game. Players create a customized Nemesis, including their costume, power set, minions and THEIR power sets, and their motivation. We'll have reasons for you not only to defeat your Nemesis, but to create others once you lock your first away in Stronghold. Best of all, this is just the foundation of the future for the Nemesis system. It’s a big part of our current and future plans for the game, so expect to see them with you for a long time.

And lastly, here is a decidedly unprofessional video preview on G4TV's X-Play!:

This game is definitely one that I will keep in my peripherals. What do you GiantBombers think?! :D
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Shadow

I really, really hope the release date is announced at GDC.  Otherwise, we'll have to wait till E3 to find out when it's coming out, and I'm really hoping it'll be released before then..........we're still getting an E3 this year right?

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Jayge_

It sounds bad-ass, but I've said it many times and I'll say it again- I'm no supporter of monthly-fee games. I probably won't get it if it has one (and I'm pretty sure it'll have one). It's a shitty standard that discourages eclectic gaming. Guild Wars got it right.

Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
    deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

But it's an MMO? I thought your Nemesis would be other players.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jayge_
    Gorillawhat said:
    "But it's an MMO? I thought your Nemesis would be other players."
    No, your nemesis is an individual who pops up from time to time that you get to create and customize, part of the "create your own hero and story" deal. It's an NPC.
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Shadow
    Gorillawhat said:
    "But it's an MMO? I thought your Nemesis would be other players."

That wouldn't work well at all.  What if your nemesis suddenly just stops playing and never logs back in?  You'd be stuck with nothing to do and you'd have to make a new character and HOPE your new nemesis will be committed.  Besides, that's actually just a rumor started by the Bombcast.
    TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheFreeMan
    Jayge said:
    "It sounds bad-ass, but I've said it many times and I'll say it again- I'm no supporter of monthly-fee games. I probably won't get it if it has one (and I'm pretty sure it'll have one). It's a shitty standard that discourages eclectic gaming. Guild Wars got it right."
    Wait, do you still have to pay monthly fees for MMOs on the 360, or does XBL Gold cover it?
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jayge_
    TheFreeMan said:
    "Jayge said:
    "It sounds bad-ass, but I've said it many times and I'll say it again- I'm no supporter of monthly-fee games. I probably won't get it if it has one (and I'm pretty sure it'll have one). It's a shitty standard that discourages eclectic gaming. Guild Wars got it right."
    Wait, do you still have to pay monthly fees for MMOs on the 360, or does XBL Gold cover it?"
    Well, the only MMO on the 360 that I know of is Phantasy Star Universe, and that's 10+ dollars a month, if I remember.
    TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheFreeMan
    Jayge said:
    "TheFreeMan said:
    "Jayge said:
    Wait, do you still have to pay monthly fees for MMOs on the 360, or does XBL Gold cover it?"
    Well, the only MMO on the 360 that I know of is Phantasy Star Universe, and that's 10+ dollars a month, if I remember."
    Damn. I was really looking forward to this game, but there's no way in hell I'm paying per month.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Jayge said:
    Considering that both City of Heroes and World of Warcraft are much better games and are highly more praised, by gamers and critics alike, I'll go ahead and say that subscriptions are a necessary evil. No one likes spending money, but sometimes your money goes to the cause of further improving what it is you're paying for.

I'll include MMO's in that subcategory. I'm also going to continue to keep a watchful eye on this potential gem.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jayge_
    BiggerBomb said:
    "Considering that both City of Heroes and World of Warcraft are much better games and are highly more praised, by gamers and critics alike, I'll go ahead and say that subscriptions are a necessary evil. No one likes spending money, but sometimes your money goes to the cause of further improving what it is you're paying for.

I'll include MMO's in that subcategory. I'm also going to continue to keep a watchful eye on this potential gem."
    The only MMO more critically praised than Guild Wars is World of Warcraft. World of Warcraft has 12+ million subscribers if I remember correctly. Guild Wars has 5+ million. City of Heroes has less than 200,000. Overall, Guild Wars is one of the most succesfull MMOs of all time, and the most popular non-subscription-based MMO of all time. It's also one of NCSoft's largest earners. In terms of updates, balancing and content, Guild Wars has released constant streams of updates, minor and major, sometimes daily, for 3 or 4 years now. It's considered one of the best PVP MMOs of all time, and ArenaNet is considered one of the best developers in terms of customer-developer relations on the internet. The point is, you definitely don't need a subscription model to launch a wildly succesfull MMO, even if WoW has managed to stay at the very top.

Many people would like to copy Blizzard's absolutely ridiculous revenue river (I'd say stream, but really...), but nobody has managed to. MMOs have been proven to make money through many other channels though, through things like the Guild Wars model or the Asian MMO model that couples item stores and currency with the game, effectively taking care of any illegal gold markets too. Subscription fees are not a necessary evil. Especially not at the standard $15-a-month premium that many people have been suckered into paying.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BiggerBomb

People haven't been "suckered into" paying a subscription fee. They are playing a game that is better, largely because of the support their money provides for.  What Guild Wars is, is an "MMO" that is realistically a myriad of separated instances populated by characters that are all emulations of eachother; each having minimalistic differences, comparitively in terms of aesthetics and progressive character development (read: lackthereof.)

The game is about swapping powers, none of which transcend the across-the-board generic nature of player abilities, the process of which nullifies any sense of persistence. The segregation of "realms" is also counter-intuitive to the purpose of MMO's, this being living in a persistent online world, populated by other players.

Without a revenue stream Guild Wars is unable to support this play-style, the likes of which is the literal definition of MMORPG: Massively Multiplayer Online  Role Playing Game.

Subscriptions are very much a necessary evil.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jayge_
    BiggerBomb said:
    "People haven't been "suckered into" paying a subscription fee. They are playing a game that is better, largely because of the support their money provides for.  What Guild Wars is, is an "MMO" that is realistically a myriad of separated instances populated by characters that are all emulations of eachother; each having minimalistic differences, comparitively in terms of aesthetics and progressive character development (read: lackthereof.)

The game is about swapping powers, none of which transcend the across-the-board generic nature of player abilities, the process of which nullifies any sense of persistence. The segregation of "realms" is also counter-intuitive to the purpose of MMO's, this being living in a persistent online world, populated by other players.

Without a revenue stream Guild Wars is unable to support this play-style, the likes of which is the literal definition of MMORPG: Massively Multiplayer Online  Role Playing Game.

Subscriptions are very much a necessary evil."
    Have you ever actually played Guild Wars?
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Jayge said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "People haven't been "suckered into" paying a subscription fee. They are playing a game that is better, largely because of the support their money provides for.  What Guild Wars is, is an "MMO" that is realistically a myriad of separated instances populated by characters that are all emulations of eachother; each having minimalistic differences, comparitively in terms of aesthetics and progressive character development (read: lackthereof.)

Subscriptions are very much a necessary evil."
    Have you ever actually played Guild Wars?"

No, I've also never played Star Wars Galaxies. But were you to ask, I could go on and on about it. Playing a game gives you perspective, as does researching it.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jayge_
    BiggerBomb said:
    "No, I've also never played Star Wars Galaxies. But were you to ask, I could go on and on about it. Playing a game gives you perspective, as does researching it."
    Then there really is no validity to your post. It's one thing to discuss mechanics and observable in-game systems and methods, it's another thing to play them. I've played every MMO I've mentioned in this thread, among many others. I know what I'm talking about. It's a slightly acceptable faux-pas to quote completely incorrect figures on game's popularity if you thought you had valid information, but that little diatribe on the more in-depth aspects of the Guild Wars world was just plain wrong. I'd advise you go pick the game up and play through it before you start saying anything like that again XD
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Jayge said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "No, I've also never played Star Wars Galaxies. But were you to ask, I could go on and on about it. Playing a game gives you perspective, as does researching it."
    Then there really is no validity to your post. It's one thing to discuss mechanics and observable in-game systems and methods, it's another thing to play them. I've played every MMO I've mentioned in this thread, among many others. I know what I'm talking about. It's a slightly acceptable faux-pas to quote completely incorrect figures on game's popularity if you thought you had valid information, but that little diatribe on the more in-depth aspects of the Guild Wars world was just plain wrong. I'd advise you go pick the game up and play through it before you start saying anything like that again XD"

Perhaps I had my statistics mixed up, but my not playing it does not invalidate my knowledge of the game. I'm not a Senator but I know what bills are worth passing and what bills may infringe on a person's inalieable rights. I know this because I know my research, not because I'm involved in the process.

I know the flaws of Big Rigs and I've never played that piece of crap. And please, I'm not saying that Guild Wars is lololololulzthesukx1; I'm saying that free=/=better. There is a reason why people pay subscriptions and contrary to John Smith-Internet Cynic At Law-, it's not to fatten corporate wallets. A good portion of the money goes to the tools developers can utilize to enhance their fans' experience.

I don't need to play Guild Wars to know that.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jayge_
    BiggerBomb said:
    "Perhaps I had my statistics mixed up, but my not playing it does not invalidate my knowledge of the game. I'm not a Senator but I know what bills are worth passing and what bills may infringe on a person's inalieable rights. I know this because I know my research, not because I'm involved in the process.

I know the flaws of Big Rigs and I've never played that piece of crap. And please, I'm not saying that Guild Wars is lololololulzthesukx1; I'm saying that free=/=better. There is a reason why people pay subscriptions and contrary to John Smith-Internet Cynic At Law-, it's not to fatten corporate wallets. A good portion of the money goes to the tools developers can utilize to enhance their fans' experience.

I don't need to play Guild Wars to know that."
    See, you do. Because, as I said, it's one thing to know things about the game, it's another thing to experience them. And as someone who knows much more about the game and has obviously experienced much more about the game than you have, I can safely tell you with complete confidence that your copy-pasted perceptions are flawed.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Jayge said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "Perhaps I had my statistics mixed up, but my not playing it does not invalidate my knowledge of the game. I'm not a Senator but I know what bills are worth passing and what bills may infringe on a person's inalieable rights. I know this because I know my research, not because I'm involved in the process.

I don't need to play Guild Wars to know that."
    See, you do. Because, as I said, it's one thing to know things about the game, it's another thing to experience them. And as someone who knows much more about the game and has obviously experienced much more about the game than you have, I can safely tell you with complete confidence that your copy-pasted perceptions are flawed."

My copy-pasted perceptions? Yeah, Jayge, because I'm such a conformist. I forget who it was that said this to me, but it was during the campaign season on these forums. The poster said something along the lines of, "No one will be convinced when a discussion turns into a debate." I definitely botched that! :P

I'll keep the peace and concede the argument, I'm probably wrong about Guild Wars. That said, we will have to agree to disagree about the necessity of subscriptions. To each his own, my friend. To each his own.
    Avatar image for 45hefvserg 34t34 t3
    45ysdfgsd g35t3t54 3t4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

BiggerBomb said:
    "Jayge said:
    Considering that both City of Heroes and World of Warcraft are much better games and are highly more praised, by gamers and critics alike, I'll go ahead and say that subscriptions are a necessary evil. No one likes spending money, but sometimes your money goes to the cause of further improving what it is you're paying for.I'll include MMO's in that subcategory. I'm also going to continue to keep a watchful eye on this potential gem."
    Are you on glue?

Although i am a long time player of WoW and  i have played CoH. And yes i agree, the monthly fee goes toward the running of the game and content and i have no problem paying a monthly fee for a game. How the hell can you say that WoW and GW are much better games and are much more higly praised? Especially CoH? GW is an amazing achievment that shows u dont have to pay monthly for a good MMO. Yes GW players will decline sooner due to the lack of content compared with these other games but it has lasted years! And people still love playing it now. Not because its free because its a good game.

Oh and in regards to your discription of an MMO, Arena net have never called GW an MMO. They call it a Competitive Online RPG or something. GW2 is an MMO. All the things you described and no fee.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.