Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Champions Online

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Sep 01, 2009

Champions Online is a superhero action-MMORPG for PC. It was developed by Cryptic Studios, the makers of City of Heroes.

Champions Online Beta, Day One

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By End_Boss

FACEPLANT

Seems to be the best word to describe CO's first day in beta, with only a fraction of the players (and a small one at that) making it into the game proper, the rest stuck at the patching screen due to myriad problems originating from Cryptic's servers.

From interminably slow download speeds (14-30 KB/second) to patch client lockups to the eventual crashing of not only Cryptic's servers, but the Champions website itself, the MMO-in-tights has not had a good day. All of this led to Cryptic apologetically posting a workaround on the Champions news feed with the intention of fixing the patching issues. Not five minutes had gone by, however, before the community itself debunked the workaround as dysfunctional and provided an alternate solution. Yikes.

Champions' fate still remains unclear, but judging from what was seen today, its greatest adversary may not be a grandstanding ideologue in pajama pants; but the game itself.

Thanks for reading,
    End Boss.
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By End_Boss

FACEPLANT

Seems to be the best word to describe CO's first day in beta, with only a fraction of the players (and a small one at that) making it into the game proper, the rest stuck at the patching screen due to myriad problems originating from Cryptic's servers.

From interminably slow download speeds (14-30 KB/second) to patch client lockups to the eventual crashing of not only Cryptic's servers, but the Champions website itself, the MMO-in-tights has not had a good day. All of this led to Cryptic apologetically posting a workaround on the Champions news feed with the intention of fixing the patching issues. Not five minutes had gone by, however, before the community itself debunked the workaround as dysfunctional and provided an alternate solution. Yikes.

Champions' fate still remains unclear, but judging from what was seen today, its greatest adversary may not be a grandstanding ideologue in pajama pants; but the game itself.

Thanks for reading,
    End Boss.
    tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By tekmojo

Thanks for the info.

EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By EdIsCool

Its taken an 2 and a half hours between waiting and dling to dld a gig of the client(client is 2 gigs) and then I have a minimum 900mb patch which as End-Boss says will probably crash...god damn , "and we would have released a stable beta if it werent for those meddling kids"

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By TheMustacheHero

I haven't even been able to download anything because my internet keeps crapping out.

Looks like they got a ways to go before we start playing this... perhaps later this week.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Wow that sucks man, hope it goes good.

VicRattlehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By VicRattlehead

i got to play it for about 2 hours at 6pm (GMT)...
    the game seems kinda cool....struck me that there was a lackage of people running around and talking in the chat when i was playing...guess now i know why...

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Out_On_Bail

Good blog. Faceplant is a great title for it also. While I can understand it's a beta and problems like this are to be expected, it's still very aggrivating to of sat here for so many hours and now to only be at 1.8%.  Granted, most of my time has been spent reinstalling and redownloading the client. Oh well, hopefully I can play it sometime tonight. I only have 1 day off this week and today was it. How's that for bad luck?

Avatar image for 45hefvserg 34t34 t3
    45ysdfgsd g35t3t54 3t4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Guys,  go here for info on how to sort out patching problems. It sorted mine out and now its downloading pretty fast.

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Out_On_Bail

Yeah that's nice and all but I don't know how to access my router stuff, so I'm stuck with it freezing every damn megabyte. It's annoying as shit.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By sweep  Moderator

haha i see you trying to steal my blog sign-off and failing. 

WHERE IS THE LOVE, END_BOSS?

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By End_Boss
    @Sweep said:
    " haha i see you trying to steal my blog sign-off and failing. 

"
    Check my Gears 2 review. I've been using that for a looong time.
    citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#12  Edited By citizenkane

Yeah, it has definitely not been a good first day for the beta.  I'm still trying to patch.  =\

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By End_Boss
    @CitizenKane said:
    " Yeah, it has definitely not been a good first day for the beta.  I'm still trying to patch.  =\ "
    Ditto, amigo.
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @End_Boss said:
    " @Sweep said:
    " haha i see you trying to steal my blog sign-off and failing. 

"
    Check my Gears 2 review. I've been using that for a looong time. "
    um, check my blog. Then kiss my left testicle.
    karneh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By karneh

First Day:

Wait time went from 3 minutes to 21 minutes and reset my line # back to 200.

Fuck.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Scooper

57% of the 2GB client downloaded..... at a cool 60kb/s. Aaaaaaaah yeah, and I haven't even started with the magic you guys are at yet trying to patch the damn thing. Luckily I don't really care about the game to be bummed I can't play it at the moment.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OOOhhhhh the beta started 
    I wasn't even aware of that, thanks for the reminder

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By JoelTGM

yeah man, it's called "stress testing".  The whole point of open beta is to stress the servers so they can deal with it now instead of later when the game launches.  Good thing I patched it this morning though, because I can play it just fine right now.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By crusader8463

I have been playing since January and i only have one thing to say about it. Enjoy the first 2-3 hours as much as you can because after that its all down hill. After that point is when you realize your just spamming the same 1-2-3 keys over and over with the occasional 4 key. They designed the game to be playable with a 360 controller and because of this they dumbed it down to the point that its just not fun to play. You may feel differently and there are a few things about it i like but over all the combat is dull boring and repetitive. And in an MMO where 60% of the game is fighting, 30% is walking, and 10% is waiting for shit to spawn so you can kill it that's not good.

When you finally get it patched i strongly suggest you play it like this. Play through the tutorial, then go to the desert. Sadly the Canada zone sucks monster balls and is no fun at all. The desert zone has nice leveling progression and a small enough area that's designed linearly enough that you wont get lost. Which is very important when learning to play a new MMO. But once you place through the desert instance and after 20-30 minuets outside ofthat i will be surprised ifthe tedium doesnt set it fast. You might even make it to Millennium City before it hits ya, but it will. If you like it good for you, but i don't see anyone liking this game for more then a few months at most before it just becomes so mind numbingly tedious and repetitive that you just cant play it.  My condolences to everyone who buys the life time subscription, that's a lot of games you could have bought.

Avatar image for supersecretagenda
    SuperSecretAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@Sweep: Dude. Alot of people do that. 

You are not a special and unique snowflake.
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @SuperSecretAgenda: Dude... I don't care? I just want End_boss to kiss my reproductive organs.  

(it's ok, secretly he wants to as well)
    Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Xandurson

That's a shame because it looked like it could be pretty cool.

EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By EdIsCool

City Of Heroes was cool, Cryptic will fix it eventually..pity for thise who shelled out stupid money,

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#24  Edited By JackiJinx

It was fun listening to peeps complain about it in the IRC last night. Meanwhile, I still can't get Battlefield Heroes to run properly.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.