Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Champions Online

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Sep 01, 2009

Champions Online is a superhero action-MMORPG for PC. It was developed by Cryptic Studios, the makers of City of Heroes.

Champions Online Beta, Days Two-Three

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By End_Boss

HOPEFUL

Is what I feel after spending the past two days roaming Cryptic's comic book universe, vanquishing the forces of evil alongside friends and strangers alike. Despite it's bumpy (and that's putting it very politely) start, once you actually gain access to Cryptic's spandex-clad RPG, it's quite enjoyable. The storyline and world that support it are classic comic book fare: you have your good guys and your bad guys, your Avengers and your Sinister Six (albeit under different monikers), your evil plots to take over the world and valiant efforts to defend it and so on and so forth; and thankfully, the writers at Cryptic clearly never took the subject matter or themselves too seriously.

The combat system, despite having some bugs to work out here and there and not being all that inventive (abilities are still assigned to number keys, the tab key targets enemies, etc.) is solid and relays the necessary information loud and clear via crisp character animations that, with the exception of the odd hiccup, begin and end exactly when they're supposed to.

All-in-all, if Champions can overcome its technical failings, I can see nothing else stopping it from having a successful future and bringing a little (much needed) variety to today's MMO scene.

Thanks for reading,
    End Boss.
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By End_Boss

HOPEFUL

Is what I feel after spending the past two days roaming Cryptic's comic book universe, vanquishing the forces of evil alongside friends and strangers alike. Despite it's bumpy (and that's putting it very politely) start, once you actually gain access to Cryptic's spandex-clad RPG, it's quite enjoyable. The storyline and world that support it are classic comic book fare: you have your good guys and your bad guys, your Avengers and your Sinister Six (albeit under different monikers), your evil plots to take over the world and valiant efforts to defend it and so on and so forth; and thankfully, the writers at Cryptic clearly never took the subject matter or themselves too seriously.

The combat system, despite having some bugs to work out here and there and not being all that inventive (abilities are still assigned to number keys, the tab key targets enemies, etc.) is solid and relays the necessary information loud and clear via crisp character animations that, with the exception of the odd hiccup, begin and end exactly when they're supposed to.

All-in-all, if Champions can overcome its technical failings, I can see nothing else stopping it from having a successful future and bringing a little (much needed) variety to today's MMO scene.

Thanks for reading,
    End Boss.
    Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

I've been trying it too. I had one crash yesterday but so far, I like the look & feel.

My only gripe is that the turn radius is too fast & it gives me
    a dizzy feeling. This might make it work better with a controller
    rather than a keyboard, but with the mouse it's hard to wield.

I looked for a sensitivity setting to slow the turn down but
    there was no setting for that.

EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By EdIsCool
    @Lind_L_Taylor said:

" I've been trying it too. I had one crash yesterday but so far, I like the look & feel.  My only gripe is that the turn radius is too fast & it gives me a dizzy feeling. This might make it work better with a controller rather than a keyboard, but with the mouse it's hard to wield.  I looked for a sensitivity setting to slow the turn down but there was no setting for that. "

Yeah often until I got my teleport ability trying to escape led to running straight at the mobs attacking me.Teleport ignores combat meaning its always lightning fast.The other travel powers are affected by being in combat. 
    Is there a way to skip the tut, as I dont want to keep going on my main as it will be wiped at end of beta, but I also dont want to do the tut again.I want to go to Canada.
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By End_Boss
    @EdIsCool said:
    " @Lind_L_Taylor said:

" I've been trying it too. I had one crash yesterday but so far, I like the look & feel.  My only gripe is that the turn radius is too fast & it gives me a dizzy feeling. This might make it work better with a controller rather than a keyboard, but with the mouse it's hard to wield.  I looked for a sensitivity setting to slow the turn down but there was no setting for that. "

Yeah often until I got my teleport ability trying to escape led to running straight at the mobs attacking me.Teleport ignores combat meaning its always lightning fast.The other travel powers are affected by being in combat.  Is there a way to skip the tut, as I dont want to keep going on my main as it will be wiped at end of beta, but I also dont want to do the tut again.I want to go to Canada. "
    As far as I know it is not possible to skip the tutorial section, and anyway, why would you want to be dropped into a place like the Desert or Canada at level one? Just consider the tutorial as a free five levels.

Also, apparently the Canada zone sucks. I don't know firsthand as I've always gone to the Desert, but I've not heard great things.
    breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By breadfan

I'm really looking forward to Champions Online, it may be the first MMO that I actually get into

EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By EdIsCool

I wouldnt I'd like to start in a level 5 zone at level 5...unrealistic I know I enjoyed the tut but I really dont want to play through it again so soon after completing it.
    Im  a rubbish beta tester..I may not buy the game because I dont want to redo the  hours I've put in.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @EdIsCool said:
    " I wouldnt I'd like to start in a level 5 zone at level 5...unrealistic I know I enjoyed the tut but I really dont want to play through it again so soon after completing it. Im  a rubbish beta tester..I may not buy the game because I dont want to redo the  hours I've put in. "

Thanks for the tip on teleporting. I'll have to check that out.

It sounds like you've really put the Beta through its paces.  I'm assuming that over the next few months they will be expanding the online content significantly, so you won't feel like you've wasted too much time.  To keep from "doing the whole game at one time in beta" mode, I spent less time in the Hero designer.  I'm already going to assume that is great.  I looked at everything but just created a quick hero so I can start trying out the content.  I haven't got very far into it though, with only about 2-3 hours of play.

I doubt I'll get to the middle levels before the Beta is up though, so I'm just going to look around, play through it at a slow pace & then make up my mind if I'm going to get the Lifetime subscription.  So far, I think it's a good idea, since they might not offer it ever again later on & the game still has a lot of growing room.  I believe they designed the game so it will scale well, unlike City of Heroes, which doesn't seem to scale at all.
    snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By snide

Played this a bunch today. For the most part pretty fun and as usual for this type of game spent a good 2 hours alone just making a costume. I picked Canada and can't really complain, though I haven't tried out the desert yet. Heh I did have a little problems with the controls in that I didn't know I could charge my main sorcery attack. Spent a good 8 levels just pummeling dudes with the lowest form of that attack till I noticed the bar. 

Maybe I'll write something up for the site (and comicvine) tomorrow after I've put it through the paces.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I'm buying it. Sold.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.