Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Champions Online

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Sep 01, 2009

Champions Online is a superhero action-MMORPG for PC. It was developed by Cryptic Studios, the makers of City of Heroes.

Champions Online Offers 1-Time Subscription Fee Before Launch

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 6

Edited By DrRandle

Prepare Your Kidneys for Ebay

by Randy Marr
    But I don't have $200!
    But I don't have $200!
       I don't know if you're as excited for Champions as I am, but I've got some interesting news either way. It seems that they're trying to get some pre-launch funds. For just 200 dollars you can purchase yourself a lifetime subscription. No more monthly fees. Just 200 bones up front. That's roughly 14 months of game time at the standard rate of $15 a month, and after that, it's open sailing. (what does open sailing have to do with a superhero MMO? Ugh, I'm rusty.)

But they're not just letting it go there, you'll also get a few exclusive costume sets (known as "Art Deco" and "Retro-Future"), 8 extra character slots, a guaranteed entrance into the Star Trek MMO beta, as well as an exclusive costume for said Star Trek MMO. Oh, and the real seller, a Foxbat in-game action figure. Foxbat, people. That's all I should have to say.

If that's a bit much up-front for you, they're also throwing a 6-month discounted special of 60 dollars which nets you an "Art Deco" costume set.

So what do you think? Is this offer worth it? Even if you're not interested in Champions Online, would you take this kind of deal for some smaller MMO like WoW? (Flame-shields activate!) Feel free to feedback, I love to know what people are thinking.

(Instrumental)
    Grame Norgate - Spaceways (from TimeSplitters)
    DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By DrRandle

Prepare Your Kidneys for Ebay

by Randy Marr
    But I don't have $200!
    But I don't have $200!
       I don't know if you're as excited for Champions as I am, but I've got some interesting news either way. It seems that they're trying to get some pre-launch funds. For just 200 dollars you can purchase yourself a lifetime subscription. No more monthly fees. Just 200 bones up front. That's roughly 14 months of game time at the standard rate of $15 a month, and after that, it's open sailing. (what does open sailing have to do with a superhero MMO? Ugh, I'm rusty.)

But they're not just letting it go there, you'll also get a few exclusive costume sets (known as "Art Deco" and "Retro-Future"), 8 extra character slots, a guaranteed entrance into the Star Trek MMO beta, as well as an exclusive costume for said Star Trek MMO. Oh, and the real seller, a Foxbat in-game action figure. Foxbat, people. That's all I should have to say.

If that's a bit much up-front for you, they're also throwing a 6-month discounted special of 60 dollars which nets you an "Art Deco" costume set.

So what do you think? Is this offer worth it? Even if you're not interested in Champions Online, would you take this kind of deal for some smaller MMO like WoW? (Flame-shields activate!) Feel free to feedback, I love to know what people are thinking.

(Instrumental)
    Grame Norgate - Spaceways (from TimeSplitters)
    sgjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By sgjackson

I could see people buying this for the Star Trek beta and item, actually.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By the8bitNacho

So long as the open beta impresses, I'll probably go for that $200 lifetime subscription fee.

Phantom_Crash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Phantom_Crash

I would consider the Life time thing. Im not excited for the game really, I have not really followed it but it does seem cool. I Have played CoV and I really did not like the combat style so I hope this is better.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By JoelTGM

I bought it.  Now there are no more worries about monthly fees.  As long as I play it for a year it's already worth it.  What you said about offering the same deal for WoW, that would lose them a lot of money because millions of players are addicted to it and would surely put down money to save in the future.  With a new MMO it's a gamble, so it could save you money or just give Cryptic money.

GiantTarget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By GiantTarget
    @Phantom_Crash:  I believe that they're changing the fighting system to be something more like Age of Conan.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Jayge_

Not bad, if you consider monthly fees like that worth paying for that game.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By jakob187

That's a pretty damn good deal.  Unfortunately, it could also be a bad deal in the end, especially when you look at how much money WoW has made on its subscription fee.  =  /

Jared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Jared

It's a pretty good deal if the game takes off and you plan on sticking with it. I really wish I did the same with Lord of the Rings Online!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.