Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Company of Heroes Online

Game » consists of 0 releases.

Relic's cancelled WWII RTS game, redesigned as a free-to-play online game. Its cancellation was confirmed in a THQ investor's call in February 2011.

Free-To-Play Company of Heroes Unveiled

• 64 results
    mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

Edited By mattbodega
    THQ and Relic announced today that the next installment of the much-loved RTS, Company of Heroes, will be a free-to-play online game. Company of Heroes Online, according to the developers, will feature many of the same mechanics as the previous game--scouting the map for strategic points, building squads, destroying buildings, and calling in battle-changing bombing runs and artillery barrages--only this time, instead of buying the game in a dumb ol' box, you'll download the game for free and support it with  microtransactions (or, at least, that's what THQ and Relic hope you'll do). The game is currently in open beta in Korea, but that will extend to China and the US later this year.

The most drastic departure from the retail Company of Heroes is that now, when a match is over, your upgrades are coming with you. Company of Heroes Online will let you choose a commander path that will allow your army to specialize in various roles on the battlefield. There will be six of these different paths available, each with a unique set of units, upgrades, and commander abilities. As you play online, you'll earn "improvement points" that can be spent on a wide selection of upgrades that can improve a unit's statistics, provide them with new abilities, and unlock more powerful soldiers and equipment.  

A look at one of the game's upgrade paths.
    As you might have guessed, that persistent leveling system will be supplemented with a paid unlock system. While Relic hasn't revealed all of the specifics of the transaction system, the company says that you'll be able to purchase various infantry, vehicles, unit bonuses, and commander powers. The most substantial of the proposed paid unlocks are hero units. Just like in Warcraft III, these powered up soldiers are tougher and faster than the other troops in your army, and come into battle with an additional set of unique combat abilities. 

Now before you start shouting at your computer screen, "But wait a minute! You have to pay to have access powerful hero units? That's the craziest thing I've ever heard! The only way I'll be able to stay competitive is to buy these unlocks! What is the point of playing that game for free? I'm going to toss my Company of Heroes disc out the window! And the Dawn of War/Homeworld discs are next!", don't worry. All of the paid upgrades can still be earned just by leveling and ranking up in the game. You're only allowed a finite number of paid unlocks in a multiplayer match, so players who fork out the cash aren't necessarily able to take every upgrade and lay low-level opponents to waste. Finally, Relic says that the game's matchmaking system will help to keep players away from games against players who have an unlock advantage.   

The game still looks pretty good. That's a plus.

So, you'll still get those upgrades and hero units. You'll just get them... later. Or you could get them now! And it would make your battles so much easier. And you got the game for free, right? An unlock is only a few dollars. It's so cheap! You're still getting so much value from the game! You need to stay competitive, right? Go ahead... buy a hero. You're worth it.

And that, folks, is how free-to-play games happen.

Here's the debut trailer that accompanied the announcement:

And some screenshots of the game in action:  

What do you guys think? Company of Heroes Online sounds like it's borrowing the most interesting aspects of Command & Conquer 4 (its persistent online army). The game looks very similar to the 2006 release, but the changes to the multiplayer structure seem more substantial than what you might find in a re-release. The unlock system sounds like a good way to make multiplayer matches more meaningful as well. And it's free, and comes with the entire Company of Heroes single player campaign. That's pretty good too.
    mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By mattbodega
    THQ and Relic announced today that the next installment of the much-loved RTS, Company of Heroes, will be a free-to-play online game. Company of Heroes Online, according to the developers, will feature many of the same mechanics as the previous game--scouting the map for strategic points, building squads, destroying buildings, and calling in battle-changing bombing runs and artillery barrages--only this time, instead of buying the game in a dumb ol' box, you'll download the game for free and support it with  microtransactions (or, at least, that's what THQ and Relic hope you'll do). The game is currently in open beta in Korea, but that will extend to China and the US later this year.

The most drastic departure from the retail Company of Heroes is that now, when a match is over, your upgrades are coming with you. Company of Heroes Online will let you choose a commander path that will allow your army to specialize in various roles on the battlefield. There will be six of these different paths available, each with a unique set of units, upgrades, and commander abilities. As you play online, you'll earn "improvement points" that can be spent on a wide selection of upgrades that can improve a unit's statistics, provide them with new abilities, and unlock more powerful soldiers and equipment.  

As you might have guessed, that persistent leveling system will be supplemented with a paid unlock system. While Relic hasn't revealed all of the specifics of the transaction system, the company says that you'll be able to purchase various infantry, vehicles, unit bonuses, and commander powers. The most substantial of the proposed paid unlocks are hero units. Just like in Warcraft III, these powered up soldiers are tougher and faster than the other troops in your army, and come into battle with an additional set of unique combat abilities. 

Now before you start shouting at your computer screen, "But wait a minute! You have to pay to have access powerful hero units? That's the craziest thing I've ever heard! The only way I'll be able to stay competitive is to buy these unlocks! What is the point of playing that game for free? I'm going to toss my Company of Heroes disc out the window! And the Dawn of War/Homeworld discs are next!", don't worry. All of the paid upgrades can still be earned just by leveling and ranking up in the game. You're only allowed a finite number of paid unlocks in a multiplayer match, so players who fork out the cash aren't necessarily able to take every upgrade and lay low-level opponents to waste. Finally, Relic says that the game's matchmaking system will help to keep players away from games against players who have an unlock advantage.   

So, you'll still get those upgrades and hero units. You'll just get them... later. Or you could get them now! And it would make your battles so much easier. And you got the game for free, right? An unlock is only a few dollars. It's so cheap! You're still getting so much value from the game! You need to stay competitive, right? Go ahead... buy a hero. You're worth it.

And that, folks, is how free-to-play games happen.

Here's the debut trailer that accompanied the announcement:

And some screenshots of the game in action:  

What do you guys think? Company of Heroes Online sounds like it's borrowing the most interesting aspects of Command & Conquer 4 (its persistent online army). The game looks very similar to the 2006 release, but the changes to the multiplayer structure seem more substantial than what you might find in a re-release. The unlock system sounds like a good way to make multiplayer matches more meaningful as well. And it's free, and comes with the entire Company of Heroes single player campaign. That's pretty good too.
    Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Venatio

Awesome

Colin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Colin

Fuck yes I love COH
    DudeFromJersey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By DudeFromJersey

EPIC!!!

stephengotlost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By stephengotlost

great way to get back into it
    not to mention, it's free!!!

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By raiz265

i have coh and all addons... so whatever 

microtransactions, pah :E

Vod_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Vod_Crack

This RTS single-handedly makes all other RTS games look terrible in comparison.

TheChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheChaos

I dunno about this.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Marz

sounds good.  If it does have micro transactions then lets hope it's not game balance breaking.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Milkman

Awesome stuff. At the time, Company of Heroes was one of the best RTS games I've ever played, though I don't know how well it holds up now. Nonetheless, you can't argue with free.

Kefkaesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Kefkaesque

I like the business model.

If the game is good, I'll play it enough so that I'll get the bonuses by playing the game.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By meteora

Hmm, sounds cool. I mean, its free, so it can't be all that bad. We might bitch about the microtransition thing, but hey its free.

Mariorules85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Mariorules85

The free to play model has been popular with a lot of devs lately. It's not surprising that Company of Heroes would get the F2P treatment. Who here doesn't like this? I don't think this is bad at all.

ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ZeroCast

Considering the quality of the previous games I am totally willing to pay money for this. 

This is awesome news.

Contra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Contra

Sounds fun.  Always up for a good RTS.  Especially online

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By EthanielRain

I approve of free-to-play-but-with-microtransactions (that aren't 100% required to be competitive).  Never played this before, will be sure to check it out :O)

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#17  Edited By Claude

Does this mean no single player campaign?

Agent_Eli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By Agent_Eli

Wow, I just reinstalled CoH like last week. this is a great way to get all my friends into it!

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By slyspider

i still play this all the fucking time!!!!! HELL YES!!!!

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jmrwacko

omg whhhhat?

Haha I'm playing through Dawn of War II right now and loving it. Relic is the bomb!

Tasus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By Tasus

If you have to compare it to anything, it would be Dawn of War 2 because of the commander unit, army items (loot), and so forth. Basically, it sounds like they are taking everything that is awesome about Dawn of War 2 and insert them into Company of Heroes, which is awesome!

Also, CAN'T WAIT!

Avatar image for deactivated-649f07b15d7b8
    deactivated-649f07b15d7b8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can see some footage of the game being played here: 
    http://v.game.sohu.com/v/1/10721/60/NjAwNjMx  

And if you use chrome, then you'll be able to translate the language on COH:O Korean home page and even download the open beta full game LOL 
     http://coho.sdo.com/homepage/index.html 

Have fun :)  

For the most part, the game is identical to the original COH, it's just that you can bring in special stuff... I'm not sure it's enough to bring me back in...

GozerTC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By GozerTC

LOL the guys over at MMORPG would be all up in arms over a F2P game like this.  Some of those guys just can't stand the idea of microtransactions.   

For me, I'm not a RTS player, let alone a competative one so this is a pass.   Good show though I hope Relic makes some money off of them and comes back to the only RTS I want from them (Even though I do like Dawn of War II),  Homeworld. :)  
    ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ISuperGamerI
    @Milkman said:
    " Awesome stuff. At the time, Company of Heroes was one of the best RTS games I've ever played, though I don't know how well it holds up now. Nonetheless, you can't argue with free. "
    I agree and this is great news, so I'm happy about it. :)
    Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Death_Unicorn

I'll wait and see for the extent of the microstransactions.

Then I will determine my excited-ness

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26  Edited By crusader8463

We will see, but from what I just read I'm not interested.

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By kishan6

wait why did i buy the coh games again 
    the important part is free now

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By kishan6

wait why did i buy the coh games again 

and... 
    @Vod_Crack said:

" This RTS single-handedly makes all other RTS games look terrible in comparison. "
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 
    he hasnt played starcraft
    koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By koolaid

COH is my favorite RTS.  I think it's the best since Starcraft.   

And so they turned it into Mafia Wars?  

This sounds impossible to balance.   And impossible to enjoy.  I'll have to start asking the question "Do I suck at the game?  Or do I need to spend more time/money?  "

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mikeeegeee

How's the single player campaign? Awesome, I presume? If I went after this, it'd be strictly for that. Not big into getting my ass handed to me in a game where I know I'm terrible.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mikeeegeee
    @Flaime:

@MattBodega said:

"And it's free, and comes with the entire Company of Heroes single player campaign. That's pretty good too. "

So is this accurate? Or shoddy reporting?

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#32  Edited By MeatSim

Can't beat free to play and it looks good.

Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Detrian

Huh giantbomb is the first place where I've heard the unlocks will be actual units and powers instead of "things that help you level up faster". I already have COH and will be there on day one but I want to know what's really up with that.

Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Detrian
    @mikeeegeee said:

" How's the single player campaign? Awesome, I presume? If I went after this, it'd be strictly for that. Not big into getting my ass handed to me in a game where I know I'm terrible. "

The game is reported as including the full original campaign yes. And yes it is awesome but kinda drags on in a couple missions near the end.
    jeffk38uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By jeffk38uk

This just reminds me to actually finish Company of Heroes I bought on steam, pretty decent RTS. Surprised they are making this a f2p title with microtransactions, if it plays exactly the same as the original, I can see it being pretty successful.

Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
    lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By lilburtonboy7489

caliope ftw

ZmillA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ZmillA

free? and comes with full single player game? and free? yes please

karneh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By karneh

What's in it for people who already own CoH?

Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Detrian
    @Karn said:
    " What's in it for people who already own CoH? "
    A seriously revamped multiplayer?
    adamfedoruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By adamfedoruk

holy crap. awesome. also, i should prolly finish CoH and all the expansions. I know what I'm doing tomorrow

rapid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#41  Edited By rapid

As long as the micro-transactions do not break the game

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#42  Edited By armaan8014

Good!

LOZZAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By LOZZAT

Hooraaay! ^^

Vod_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Vod_Crack
    @kishan6 said:
    " wait why did i buy the coh games again 

and... 
    @Vod_Crack said:
    " This RTS single-handedly makes all other RTS games look terrible in comparison. "
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ he hasnt played starcraft "
    I have, it's just an opinion.
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By shirogane

Nothing should ever be compared to CnC4, EVER. 

Hell, that game should never ever be mentioned. Especially if you're trying to say something is good.
    ectoplasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ectoplasma

The Verbosinat0r is back!

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Anund
    @Vod_Crack said:
    " @kishan6 said:
    " wait why did i buy the coh games again 

and... 
    @Vod_Crack said:
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ he hasnt played starcraft "
    I have, it's just an opinion. "
    I'll second that opinion. Starcraft was good for its time, but recent RTS games like CoH have since advanced the genre and improved upon it.
    Korne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Korne

This could work! If League of Legends has shown anything, its that microtransactions can definitely work.

Eurobum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Eurobum

This will (hopefully) blow the poligonal turd that is Starcraft II out of the water. 

random_guy23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#50  Edited By random_guy23

I played a lot of Company of Heroes, and it was a fantastic game. I could never max it out on my PC tho, which was a shame, but it still was fun. Hopefully they port this to mac, so i can play it for free on there too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.