Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Computer

Object » linked to 548 games

A computer is a common object in video games. They can be used for many purposes; to trigger objects - such as a lift or a bomb, gather information, or even to play games.

Video Card for gaming?

sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By sfighter21

Hey, what up people?  Just a quick question.  I don't know too much about video cards and I'm hoping to upgrade my standard factory video card to something better.  What are some affordable (and by affordable I mean less than $100) video cards that will help widen my gaming experience?  I don't need something SUPER awesome, but right now I can't even play The Witcher.  Help?

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

Maybe this

Search around Newegg a bit. You can sort by price, rating, etc. It's easy to find what's considered good by the ratings and reviews.

unclejohnny79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By unclejohnny79
    @WaylonJennings said:
    " You think you got it bad here are my PC specs : Pentium 4 processor, Nividia Ti 4200, 128 MB RAM , and a fucking sound blaster so ya my PC was great like 9 fuckin' years ago plus the real shitty part my favourite genre's are RTS, and Simulation Games. "
    get a new one?
    Sanryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Sanryd
    @JJWeatherman said:

" Maybe this?  Search around Newegg a bit. You can sort by price, rating, etc. It's easy to find what's considered good by the ratings and reviews. "

I almost have that one exactly and have no complaints. I'd say the best example of what I've ran on it is running Arkham Asylum at 60 fps on max settings (minus the PhysX, of course).
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Claude

I have a Pentium 4 3.2ghz. I just bought a PNY Geforce 512mb GT 240 for $99/US and it runs most games well. The Witcher runs great as does Dragon Age Origins.

The cool thing about about the GT 240 I bought is its low power consumption. I only have a 350 watt power supply and my new video card needs very little to run. You don't even need to connect it. I also bought the card at Best Buy.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Claude said:
    "  I have a Pentium 4 3.2ghz. I just bought a PNY Geforce 512mb GT 240 for $99/US and it runs most games well. The Witcher runs great as does Dragon Age Origins.  The cool thing about about the GT 240 I bought is its low power consumption. I only have a 350 watt power supply and my new video card needs very little to run. You don't even need to connect it. I also bought the card at Best Buy. "
    Holy crap dude. You should seriously consider upgrading that PSU. 350 is kinda low this day and age.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Claude
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " @Claude said:
    "  I have a Pentium 4 3.2ghz. I just bought a PNY Geforce 512mb GT 240 for $99/US and it runs most games well. The Witcher runs great as does Dragon Age Origins.  The cool thing about about the GT 240 I bought is its low power consumption. I only have a 350 watt power supply and my new video card needs very little to run. You don't even need to connect it. I also bought the card at Best Buy. "
    Holy crap dude. You should seriously consider upgrading that PSU. 350 is kinda low this day and age. "
    Not worth it with the P4. I plan on buying a new PC one day. The one I have now runs the games I need to run fine.
    sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sfighter21
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " Maybe this?  Search around Newegg a bit. You can sort by price, rating, etc. It's easy to find what's considered good by the ratings and reviews. "
    Sweet.  I'll look around here.@Claude said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:

Not worth it with the P4. I plan on buying a new PC one day. The one I have now runs the games I need to run fine. "
    Yeah, I'm probably at the same point as you.  I'm not a very big PC gamer.  If I have the option, I'll get the game on a console just because of preference.  However, there are some games once in a while that come out for the PC only and I want to play them.  Like the Witcher for example.  Lol, I use that game as an example because I recently bought it on Steam, but it doesn't work on my comp.  I'm guessing its the Video Card, haha.
    Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Lunar_Aura

I can't believe how fast video cards progressed with their innovative naming schemes.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Just get the HD5770, you have to spend a bit of money to get some performance. I think the hd4850 runs a bit too hot, stutters non stop for alot of ppl, especially crysis. Maybe you can find the HD5770 at $159, it has DX11 and it probally runs faster and cooler.

Before anyone says, why am I recommending an ati card over nvidia since lots of ppl thinks i'm an nvidia fanboy, it's only because they need to release the gtx460 before I can even recommend those lower end cards. You have to make sure you have a good enough power watt supply and also a pci express slot with your old pc, or it won't work.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Marz

you can grab an 8800gt for about 60$ on ebay, 2 generations behind but it plays witcher just fine, i recently upgraded to gtx 480 from an 8800gt.

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ISuperGamerI
    @Marz said:
    " you can grab an 8800gt for about 60$ on ebay, 2 generations behind but it plays witcher just fine, i recently upgraded to gtx 480 from an 8800gt. "
    Yeah the 8800GT is a great card and will run games with great performance. What are the specs of your computer though?
    Tomzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Tomzombie

look at toms hard ware they have great charts from comparting video cards and which are the best to do surtend things and they have infomration on video cards.

sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sfighter21
    @ISuperGamerI said:

" @Marz said:

" you can grab an 8800gt for about 60$ on ebay, 2 generations behind but it plays witcher just fine, i recently upgraded to gtx 480 from an 8800gt. "

Yeah the 8800GT is a great card and will run games with great performance. What are the specs of your computer though? "
    I don't know what all this means, only some of it, but here they are...

Operating System  System Model
    Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) (build 7600)
    Install Language: English (United States)
    System Locale: English (United States)
      Acer Aspire 5732Z V3.04
    System Serial Number: LXPGU0215600430F0A1601
    Enclosure Type: Notebook
    Processor   Main Circuit Board
    2.20 gigahertz Intel Pentium Dual-Core
    64 kilobyte primary memory cache
    1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    64-bit ready
    Multi-core (2 total)
    Not hyper-threaded
      Board: Acer Aspire 5732Z V3.04
    Serial Number: Base Board Serial Number
    Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
    BIOS: Acer V3.04 12/16/2009
    Drives  Memory Modules
    237.06 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    162.53 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ890AS [CD-ROM drive]

WDC WD2500BEVT-22A23T0 [Hard drive] (250.06 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WX90AB975625, SMART Status: Healthy
      3002 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM0' has 2048 MB
    Slot 'DIMM2' has 1024 MB

Controllers  Display
    Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller  Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family [Display adapter] (2x)
    LGD LP156WH1-TLA3 [Monitor] (15.3"vis)
    OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By OllyOxenFree

...Well it looks like you are using a laptop, duder.  Upgrading the video card (if your model can) might be expensive and not worth it.

sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sfighter21
    @OllyOxenFree said:
    " ...Well it looks like you are using a laptop, duder.  Upgrading the video card (if your model can) might be expensive and not worth it. "
    Yeah, it is a laptop.  How expensive we talkin exactly?  There are only two screws stopping me from opening up my laptop because they are like "embedded" and none of my screwdrivers are thin enough to fit.  Gonna have to go buy one that is...
    yani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By yani

You'd be better off getting a new laptop.  Assuming that you can upgrade the gpu on your laptop (which is unlikely), I'd seriously doubt you could find a half decent mobile gpu for $100.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Jadeskye
    @WaylonJennings: I had a machine just like that except i had an MX440 and 512MB of RAM. It was the BOMB! 

Then battlefield 1942 came along and i needed an upgrade!
    Avatar image for deactivated-608a5477560df
    deactivated-608a5477560df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

my advice, save up for awhile, i know it sucks, but then you can build your own gaming tower which a decent one can be actually pretty cheap. thats what I'm doing, I found a site that breaks down gaming PC's by how much you're willing to pay to build one. And yeah only certain laptops can be upgradeable, just how they're made.

ATrevelan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By ATrevelan

If you've got an integrated Intel video card, which it seems you do, you're likely stuck with it. 

There's always Warcraft 3, though!

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By defaulttag

Why are mobile graphics cards more difficult to acquire compared to desktop ones? newegg doesn't even sell them

sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By sfighter21

All right.  Well, it looks like I can't do much.  You guys really gave me a lot of insight.  My cousin had told me at the beginning that he wasn't sure if I could get a video card for my laptop, so I came here.  I do have a PC as well, it's just OLD.  I probably am better off getting something new.  Thanks to everyone!!

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By Marz

yah unfortunately it's going to be difficult to upgrade that laptops video card.  You probably are better off saving and buying a new one.

Questionable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Questionable

This could net you a decent $400 gaming rig if you are looking for that route. Nothing special but will be guaranteed to play anything current and then some.

CPUIntel Pentium G630 Boxed€ 54,95
    MainboardMSI H61MA-E35 (B3)€ 52,99
    MemoryCorsair CMV4GX3M2A1333C9€ 20,50
    HDDWestern Digital Blue WD5000AAKX, 500GB€ 58,90
    GPUSapphire HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB GDDR5€ 119,-
    CaseFractal Design Core 1000€ 31,84
    PSUAntec VP350P€ 30,95
    Optical DriveLG GH24NS90 Zwart€ 14,57
    € 383,70
    jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#25  Edited By jking47

I don't think the guy from 2 years ago still needs a graphics card. At least I hope not.

Also that processor could not even run my favorite snes emulator.EDIT: Rereading that came off dickish, its more of a comment on the emulator itself than anything else.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.