Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dan Ryckert

Person » credited in 4 games

Senior Editor at Giant Bomb from 2014 to 2020. Formerly of Game Informer. Author, Guinness World Record holder, lifelong wrestling mark, and failed musician. After a brief stint as Podcast Producer at WWE Ryckert returned to help guide the next generation of Giant Bomb.

Our hero has been robbed. :(

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I HATE WHEN STUFF IS STOLEN!

gregispurple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm guessing that he didn't have renter's insurance? Duders should note that renters insurance is generally cheap.

bowlcut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I threw down a cool benji for the duder. Stuff is just stuff. But when you are looking at having all your stuff gone its pretty tough. I had a few friends help me out when I was robbed once. So its the least i can do to pay it forward.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This happened to me once. Luckily I was insured and that covered most of the cost. I lost a bunch of save data that was irreplaceable though. And the event is shaking for a long time afterwards.

This is pretty funny read along side the news that Microsoft is selling these things for $150 though.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i had a rough day, but not this bad! MY TENNER IS YOURS, DANIEL. NEVER SURRENDER!

karmaghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By karmaghost

@gregispurple: It's so damn cheap. When I rented (granted, in Central PA with credit that the lady on the phone was astonished was as good as it was) I think I paid $85 per year. Yes, per year. I don't remember what was covered, exactly, but it was not minimal coverage by any means.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#157  Edited By Slag

Man I hate thieves

Sorry Dan Ryckert. :(

Fushichou187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By Fushichou187

I thought Dan lived in the Sunset District? Robberies are not as common out there as other neighborhoods so this is surprising and super sad. I wonder if he lives along a busy corridor... he did say something about hearing the Muni from his place on one of the Bombcasts so he's probably along the L or N line which would probably raise the risk of shit like this a little. Living in the city and making absolute crap for salary-- then having more than half spirited away for basic living expenses-- I know how difficult it'd be for me to bounce back from getting my flat broken into, so my sympathies go out to him.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The indiegogo is absolutely flying. I am genuinely moved by how much money has been raised to help recoup his losses. Gets me all emotional. I might cry.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#160  Edited By csl316

I still think the indiegogo is super weird and I'm kind of against it. I feel that if something bad happens, you should have to deal with it like the rest of us do.

Nevertheless, the generosity is an example of good internet and I'll probably pitch in a couple bucks.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By Maajin
    @csl316 said:

I still think the indiegogo is super weird and I'm kind of against it. I feel that if something bad happens, you should have to deal with it like the rest of us do.

Nevertheless, the generosity is an example of good internet and I'll probably pitch in a couple bucks.

I think it's okay for you to be against it, but that's a really weird reason. If I had my shit stolen and a very rich friend wanted to help me with money I would take it. This community is Dan's rich friend, nothing wrong with accepting help from someone willing to give it.

Aristotled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dude who robbed Dan better watch out. Wouldn't be surprised to see a news story with a Drunk Dan sleep walking the streets until he finds the man and pees all over him

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@maajin said:
    @csl316 said:

I think it's okay for you to be against it, but that's a really weird reason. If I had my shit stolen and a very rich friend wanted to help me with money I would take it. This community is Dan's rich friend, nothing wrong with accepting help from someone willing to give it.

Yeah, he's not wrong to take it or anything. Again, it's a nice gesture by the community and I'll help Dan. He's a decent dude, by all accounts.

It just reminds me of how Frank Grimes sees Homer Simpson coast through things that would cripple normal folk. I mean... this is gonna raise more money than Jose Canseco (again!)

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hatking said:

This happened to me once. Luckily I was insured and that covered most of the cost. I lost a bunch of save data that was irreplaceable though. And the event is shaking for a long time afterwards.

This is pretty funny read along side the news that Microsoft is selling these things for $150 though.

Guy's got a sense of humor where mine would fail.

That's the big city for you.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

For as much as I feel bad for the guy, does there need to be a fund for him? He is gainfully employed, and can clearly afford a lot of consoles, games, and has for a while now. Do people have no other place to put their money? No better causes?

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

I don't really think Dan necessarily needs an indiegogo to help replenish his video game collection, but I'm still occasionally floored by this community's generosity after being on these forums for 6 years.

dkessler175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By dkessler175

I am all for the indie gogo fund raiser. I can understand that if you don't want to donate to the cause and respect that but to come out as against it makes me scratch my head. As silly as it sounds for most of us we haven't really met these guys other than a quick hello at a pax or something but I think that same majority considers everyone on the staff a close friend. I don't even think this is necessarily about the money or the materials that were taken, but more so about the community that Dan picked up everything and moved across the country to be a part of. I think at a time when he probably feels extremely violated having a warm outreach from our community may be the best feeling he can have. That and maybe he should take the 2,700 and get some google glass and butt tumblr as much as he damn well pleases.

Corwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is all a ruse. In a Pax Rumble twist, Alex will reveal he was the one to steal Dans stuff just to screw with his mind.

Yes, I am joking.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find it hard to believe you'd grab all that stuff and still manage a ladder. Or that multiple ladder trips wouldn't arouse suspicion. Someone in his building would've nicked the gear.

I'm sure Dan can figure this out, though. He was in LA Noire.

gyozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By gyozilla

That totally sucks. Sorry, Dan.

@corwag said:

This is all a ruse. In a Pax Rumble twist, Alex will reveal he was the one to steal Dans stuff just to screw with his mind.

Yes, I am joking.

Oh man they should TOTALLY write that into the storyline anyway!

chrjz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@dkessler175 said:

I am all for the indie gogo fund raiser. I can understand that if you don't want to donate to the cause and respect that but to come out as against it makes me scratch my head. As silly as it sounds for most of us we haven't really met these guys other than a quick hello at a pax or something but I think that same majority considers everyone on the staff a close friend. I don't even think this is necessarily about the money or the materials that were taken, but more so about the community that Dan picked up everything and moved across the country to be a part of. I think at a time when he probably feels extremely violated having a warm outreach from our community may be the best feeling he can have. That and maybe he should take the 2,700 and get some google glass and butt tumblr as much as he damn well pleases.

I agree I think it's weird that people are saying there shouldn't be the Indiegogo fundraiser. So, maybe Dan doesn't need the money like a third world orphan but that is beside the point; helping a friend is a great cause. I might go as far as to say it's more important than any #alsicebucketchallenge, but do that too while you're at it. Just don't go saying there shouldn't be a way for people to help Dan if they want to.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

As others have mentioned, hopefully he was smart enough to get renter's insurance. That's the best $10/mo I ever spent. When I suffered a home invasion and they took $30,000 worth of electronics and games and other equipment, all I had to do after the police left was file an itemized list with the insurance company and they paid out. I replaced some of the stuff and used the rest of the cash as down payment on a house, so I wouldn't have to deal with being robbed again (I am certain it was an inside job as they let themselves in with a pair of keys).

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Giving the extra money to charity is sweet and all, but I also hope he'll invest in some extra locks and such :)

jArmAhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chrjz said:

@dkessler175 said:

I agree I think it's weird that people are saying there shouldn't be the Indiegogo fundraiser. So, maybe Dan doesn't need the money like a third world orphan but that is beside the point; helping a friend is a great cause. I might go as far as to say it's more important than any #alsicebucketchallenge, but do that too while you're at it. Just don't go saying there shouldn't be a way for people to help Dan if they want to.

Oh I don't know. Like, he lost video games. And not, in the grand scheme of theft, that much in the way of value either. It's super fucking weird to help a guy with less than $5000 in losses that you don't know and who can recoup that cost fairly easily if he is a responsible renter. How the hell is that more important than helping ease the burden of those with a disease that causes horrible slow deaths? I think it's sort of gross how defensive people are about the idea of paying a man because he lost a relatively small chunk of stuff that in the long run is almost all optional to his chosen way of life. It's not even that there are worthier causes, it's just that he doesn't need to to be dug out of a hole he needs to take care of his own business. Internet famousness is a poor reason to have people pay for your hardship for you, willing or otherwise. If people want to put their money towards that, it's totally fine and I'm sure his actual friends will also support him as best they can in the situation. I just think it's weird to be as invested in it being "okay" to give this guy such a ridiculously generous perk because he's a funny guy on the internet. Save your money, put it towards a savings account for your kids or something.

Honestly the whole thing is weird and I don't think the conversation has a place here. I feel weird even saying what I've said already.

@branthog said:

As others have mentioned, hopefully he was smart enough to get renter's insurance. That's the best $10/mo I ever spent. When I suffered a home invasion and they took $30,000 worth of electronics and games and other equipment, all I had to do after the police left was file an itemized list with the insurance company and they paid out. I replaced some of the stuff and used the rest of the cash as down payment on a house, so I wouldn't have to deal with being robbed again (I am certain it was an inside job as they let themselves in with a pair of keys).

I think this is good context for why people are weirded out by paying for a grown man losing less electronics worth less than $5000. If you see him at PAX, give him a pat on the back and give him the business card of that San Fran based personal Ninja you know. That's probably better for the poor guy than paying for his video games.

jArmAhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chrjz said:

@dkessler175 said:

Oh I don't know. Like, he lost video games. And not, in the grand scheme of theft, that much in the way of value either. It's super fucking weird to help a guy with less than $5000 in losses that you don't know and who can recoup that cost fairly easily if he is a responsible renter. How the hell is that more important than helping ease the burden of those with a disease that causes horrible slow deaths? I think it's sort of gross how defensive people are about the idea of paying a man because he lost a relatively small chunk of stuff that in the long run is almost all optional to his chosen way of life. It's not even that there are worthier causes, it's just that he doesn't need to to be dug out of a hole he needs to take care of his own business. Internet famousness is a poor reason to have people pay for your hardship for you, willing or otherwise. If people want to put their money towards that, it's totally fine and I'm sure his actual friends will also support him as best they can in the situation. I just think it's weird to be as invested in it being "okay" to give this guy such a ridiculously generous perk because he's a funny guy on the internet. Save your money, put it towards a savings account for your kids or something.

@branthog said:

I think this is good context for why people are weirded out by paying for a grown man losing less electronics worth less than $5000. If you see him at PAX, give him a pat on the back and give him the business card of that San Fran based personal Ninja you know. That's probably better for the poor guy than paying for his video games.

Honestly the whole thing is weird and I don't think the conversation has a place here. I feel weird even saying what I've said already.

@shindig said:

I find it hard to believe you'd grab all that stuff and still manage a ladder. Or that multiple ladder trips wouldn't arouse suspicion. Someone in his building would've nicked the gear.

I'm sure Dan can figure this out, though. He was in LA Noire.

I'd play that DLC. Imagine how real the pee based facial deformations would be.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He should just blow it all on LaserDiscs.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@branthog said:

In many apartment complexes, you are required to provide proof of acquiring renter's insurance within thirty days of moving in. You'll probably get dropped by your insurance the moment you file a claim, but my day was completely ruined when I had the home invasion... until one of the cops asked if I had insurance and I thought "holy shit, wait yes I do!". It was such a fucking relief.

Also, I hope he reported his serial numbers to the police, because they'll put that shit in a database that every pawn shop has to check. Chances are, he was robbed by meth heads and they already ditched the goodies for pennies on the dollar.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#179  Edited By BisonHero

@fattony12000: Or hummingbird feeder face masks. What, we weren't going for Ryan-themed wastes of money? My bad.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, my previous comments aside about renter's insurance, I'm down for $10. I wouldn't normally feel right doing this, but it's GiantBomb. If Dan can use $10, good. If not, I'll tolerate it going to the fucking god damn children. I would do this for any of the duders in a fucked situation -- because I'm in a situation where $10 is like half of a trip to Chick-Fil-A... and that would mean more to a dude who just moved across the country to entertain us.

And yeah.. CBS blah blah blah. I fucking hate corporate bullshit and all that, but they're not going to help him with anything outside of his salary and whatever work equipment they alot everyone. I would not give $10 to someone working for a site that is part of a $30,000,000,000.00 corporation . . . . but I'll make an exception, here.

Plus, I've spent far more to get fucked far harder by way worse crowdfunding.

...wrestling is still dumb...

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By Jesus_Phish

Here's how I see it.

Dan's a cool dude. $10 is the equivalent to buying a round of beers for me and him to shoot shit over. Since I'll never be able to buy the guy a beer as thanks for his entertaining me, I'll give him it this way.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
    charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Just out of curiosity, what kind of windows do you have in San Fransisco? Where I live opening (double glassed with lever locks) window silently from the outside of the 3rd floor is pretty much impossible.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just out of curiosity, what kind of windows do you have in San Fransisco? Where I live opening (double glassed with lever locks) window silently from the outside of the 3rd floor is pretty much impossible.

He left it open.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fattony12000: Or hummingbird feeder face masks. What, we weren't going for Ryan-themed wastes of money? My bad.

Dan pays to watch professional wrestling.

mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really think that just handing over our money to get him "back on his feet" is a dumb idea. I have sympathy for the guy it must suck but it's not like he's been made homeless or anything. I'm sure he'll survive without our money.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah maybe we could use a little less holier-than-thou, judgemental opinionating up in here, eh gang?

this is a video game website, after all. where we routinely spend money to watch grown men play pogs. 10 bucks here and there to help a guy who got a raw deal doesn't signify the moral demise of humanity. besides, it's kinda shitty to decry a nice thing by essentially saying 'YEAH WELL YOU COULD DO A NICER THING!' or 'SOMEONE ELSE DESERVES THAT NICE THING.'

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jarmahead: I'm really glad I don't share your perspective on things. Like, really so glad.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fattony12000: But he only pays the incredibly low price of $9.99 a month to watch it on the WWE Network!

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@jarmahead: Who the hell are you to tell people what to do with thier money. If they feel that is the best use of thier money then there should be no reason to be upset. Choosing between donating to Dan or starving children isn't a fucking mutually exclusive decision. You CAN do both you know.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
    GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jarmahead Nobody is telling you how to spend your money. So why are you trying to guilt people about how they spend theirs? If you want to be reductive probably 95% of the shit your spend your money on isn't necessary and could be spent on somebody with greater need. Why do you deserve to even ever have fun if somebody someplace else is suffering? Just get off your high horse and let people be. They are trying to help somebody out. You are lecturing people on the internet.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fattony12000: But he only pays the incredibly low price of $9.99 a month to watch it on the WWE Network!

HE'D BE LOSING MONEY IF HE DIDN'T BUY IT!

Avatar image for thelastgunslinger
    thelastgunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

this is a video game website, after all. where we routinely spend money to watch grown men play pogs.

Thank you for making me realize that.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@charlie_victor_bravo said:

He left it open.

Do you want spidermen? Because that's how you get spidermen.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really think that just handing over our money to get him "back on his feet" is a dumb idea. I have sympathy for the guy it must suck but it's not like he's been made homeless or anything. I'm sure he'll survive without our money.

Not so much to help him get back on his feet as to restore his gaming stuff. Nothing wrong with that. I organized the power of the internet almost a decade ago to help raise several thousands of dollars to replace game systems and games and a TV and other stuff for a kid no the east coast who had muscular dystrophy and was stuck at home (even for schooling) and was the victim of burglars who took absolutely everything.

This is just like that. Except with a grown man. And without the muscular dystrophy. Nothing wrong with lending a hand to someone. (Hell, remember with Gies or whoever on RebelFM had a fire in their apartment and they used donations to buy a new computer or whatever?).

There are a lot of variations on this that would make me feel icky about it, but I can happily part with ten bucks and I'm happy to kick it Dan's way to help a fellow gamer. He doesn't have to be a charity case or anything for me to want to do that.

Plus, I have presumed that I am alotted a certain limited ownership over Dan Ryckert in proportion to my $10.

TheKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#195  Edited By TheKing

Sucks that it happened and I'm glad he is okay. But the indiegogo seems unnecessary, I really hope he does the right thing and donates all the money from it. He's a grown man with a decent job (and hopefully renters insurance) he doesn't need donations. Please throw your money at people who really need it.

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#196  Edited By extintor

@theking: There's no obligation here. A voluntary donation is not a mandatory tax. People who have disposable cash available can spend it in any way they want... and just how they choose to do that is exclusively their business.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theking said:

Sucks that it happened and I'm glad he is okay. But the indiegogo seems unnecessary, I really hope he does the right thing and donates all the money from it. He's a grown man with a decent job (and hopefully renters insurance) he doesn't need donations. Please throw your money at people who really need it.

The charitable causes I donate thousands a year to aren't going to suffer because I kicked $10 to someone I watch on a regular basis for entertainment.

Yeah, it's almost borderline, but at least it is straightforward and voluntary.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By splodge

@theking would you but a mate a beer? Because the money I donated was roughly the same as buying two beers. I dint live near dan, so I cant physically buy him a few beers, but I am going to virtually do it. If someone has a problem with that, because he is a grown man who can afford his own beer, then I guess that is their prerogative.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By Jesus_Phish

@splodge: This is exactly how I look at it. If I could make it to PAX or a wrestling event and buy him a beer as a thanks for his entertainment I would. But I don't live in the states and I'll likely never encounter him unless him and Danny come to Dublin on that euro tour and have a duder meetup to get pissed and play video games.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jesus_Phish I think it is just basic neighbourly behaviour. Its entirely up to someone whether they should throw him a few bucks or not, and they should never feel obligated or guilted into it, which I dont think anyone the comments have attempted to do. But to say that people should not help someone in a spot of trouble at all, because he has a job and is a grown man.... That's incredibly negative and frankly UN-AMERICAN. Thats right. communists.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.