Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

First review is in

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Grissefar

90/90/95/95 from Dengeki Playstation

Phew, what a relief - it doesn't suck. It would have been funny if it had gotten a 60/90/95/40 though.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Aetheldod

Wha??? So soon? I assume that it is a magazine

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
    BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By BulletproofMonk

I should get that pre-order going.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Binman88

God damn. There are too many games to buy this Autumn/Winter. I might actually hold off on this one though. Much as I love Demon's Souls (enough to import it before its EU release), I still haven't fully completed a playthrough of it. Think I have the last few sections of the 5th world/area to do and the final area after that.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Enigma777

I don't really trust early reviews. At least it's not Famitsu.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By ProfessorEss

I'm gonna find it hard to trust reviews of this game. 
    I'm getting it regardless, but they could totally jack this game and still get good reviews from dudes who don't want to risk looking uncool. 

darklight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By darklight

Pretty sure it will be good but a month before the release is too much to trust the review. 

I'll get the game anyway  thought :)

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By kingzetta
    @Aetheldod said:

well it comes out like next week in EU
    Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Aetheldod

@kingzetta: But why ...? D: I cant wait for the game and knowing someone else has it will make me jelous , damn you Europeans >:3!!!!!

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By alternate

japan was going to be last month wasn't it - but it got pushed a few weeks. 

for reference - anyone know what this magazine gave demons' souls

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kingzetta
    @Aetheldod said:

@kingzetta: But why ...? D: I cant wait for the game and knowing someone else has it will make me jelous , damn you Europeans >:3!!!!!

you could import it
    Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Aetheldod

@kingzetta:

!!!!! D: *does pesos to euros convertion ... looks at skinny tinny wallet .... cries*

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#13  Edited By Yummylee

I don't need no reviews to know Dark Souls is gonna be balla.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ghost_cat

I hope there is little to no music in this game.  The eerie silence is what sealed the deal for me in Demon's Souls.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By eroticfishcake

Considering how it's the same team that made Demon's Souls I'm pretty sure it's more or less the same thing albeit better in some ways. Chances are that if you care about DS then you're going to buy this game anyway. Otherwise you're going to be one of those people who just don't enjoy the quirky mechanics of it (not that you're "wrong" or anything). But next week, eh? Hope it isn't too expensive. I've always spent a lot on building my PC...

Supercancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Supercancer
    @Abyssfull: That's the spirit.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @kingzetta said:
    @Aetheldod said:

Really, I'm jealous. 
    Is this some sort of Demon's Souls related apology? 
    karatetron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By karatetron

What do the four scores mean?

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mordukai
    @Abyssfull said:
    I don't need no reviews to know Dark Souls is gonna be balla.
    I have a feeling this game is going to consume my very existence. 
    Ursus_Veritas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Ursus_Veritas
    @ProfessorEss said:
    @kingzetta said:
    @Aetheldod said:

Really, I'm jealous. Is this some sort of Demon's Souls related apology? 
    It's not out in Europe next week... we get it on October 7th. Well, at least that's what my preorder says. It's out in Japan soon though, in two weeks I think.
    Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By Nate
    @TrippinBungalow said:

What do the four scores mean?

Ditto. This makes no sense to me.  
    EDIT: found it on another site: "Dark Souls was given an average of 92.5 by Dengeki PlayStation, with two of the four critics presenting it with 90s while the remaining two gave it 95s."

And I agree with those who said no review scores necessary. I'll read reviews because I enjoy hearing what others think of games I love, but all it needs to be is a little more Demon's Souls to make me happy, and I'm sure it's going to be even better than that.
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#22  Edited By Undeadpool

@ProfessorEss said:

I'm gonna find it hard to trust reviews of this game. I'm getting it regardless, but they could totally jack this game and still get good reviews from dudes who don't want to risk looking uncool.

Well put. I too am reserving judgement until a few more reviews come out, but I know my roommate will be chomping at the bit to get it, so I'll just see how he likes it.

Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By Nate
    @alternate said:
    japan was going to be last month wasn't it - but it got pushed a few weeks.  for reference - anyone know what this magazine gave demons' souls

Dengeki gave Demon's Souls ---    85/85/95/85
    Avatar image for bobby_the_great
    Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bobby_The_Great
    @Grissefar: Sweet! Glad I preordered. 
    Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Karkarov
    @Enigma777 said:

I don't really trust early reviews. At least it's not Famitsu.

Famitsu actually bombed Demon's Souls on the review so I will laugh if this game gets a good score from them.
    Xanth93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By Xanth93

@Binman88 said:

God damn. There are too many games to buy this Autumn/Winter. I might actually hold off on this one though. Much as I love Demon's Souls (enough to import it before its EU release), I still haven't fully completed a playthrough of it. Think I have the last few sections of the 5th world/area to do and the final area after that.

Hurry with that one. The servers for Demon's Souls are scheduled to be shut down next month, so get all the Demon's Souls multiplayer greatness that you can before Dark Souls comes out.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Vorbis

People already know if they want this game or not, can't see a review changing that.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By UnrealDP

Awesome! It's great to see some positive reviews flowing in! I was pretty on the fence, but now i'm getting hyped and i just can't wait!

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#29  Edited By Timing

Well, the Famitsu review is in: 9/9/9/10.

For the record, they gave Demon's Souls 9/7/7/6, mainly complaining about the difficulty. So either Dark Souls is much easier than Demon's Souls of Famitsu has just come around. The first scenario, fortunately, doesn't seem likely.

And here's the full prologue:

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By handlas

@Timing said:

For the record, the gave Demon's Souls 9/7/7/6.

Strange then. Literally, it looks identical to Demon's Souls. Which is great but its funny to see who flip-flops their opinion. Assuming its reviewed by the same people. Demon's Souls is definitely above a 6/10...cmon.

Wonder if ol' Giant Bomb will actually review it this time. I assume so since it's reaching more people this time around.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#31  Edited By Hailinel

@handlas said:

@Timing said:

Strange then. Literally, it looks identical to Demon's Souls. Which is great but its funny to see who flip-flops their opinion. Assuming its reviewed by the same people. Demon's Souls is definitely above a 6/10...cmon.

Wonder if ol' Giant Bomb will actually review it this time. I assume so since it's reaching more people this time around.

Here's the most likely scenario:

The guys do a Quick Look of it with Vinny at the controls. Vinny shows honest interest in figuring the game out, while everyone else remains baffled by why anyone would design a game in such a way, and then crack jokes about how Japanese the game is and From Software's track record.

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Timing

@handlas said:

I don't know. Jeff doesn't seem very enthusiastic about it and I don't see Ryan, Brad or Patrick caring much about it either. I guess our hopes our set on Kessler and Vinny for this one. I think if anyone's going to review it, it'll probably be Kessler since Vinny doesn't seem to have time to review games any more these days, especially those the (assumed) size of Dark Souls. Or maybe Rorie will do it... but probably not.

Most likely though, as with Monster Hunter they'll probably just do a Quick Look, talk about it some on the Bombcast and end by saying: "Those interested in this game will probably already know whatever we might have to say about it, namely that it's mostly more [previous game in series], which most of us didn't really care for."

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By handlas

@Timing said:

@handlas said:

I don't know. Jeff doesn't seem very enthusiastic about it and I don't see Ryan, Brad or Patrick caring much about it either. I guess our hopes our set on Kessler and Vinny for this one. I think if anyone's going to review it, it'll probably be Kessler since Vinny doesn't seem to have time to review games any more these days, especially those the (assumed) size of Dark Souls. Or maybe Rorie will do it... but probably not.

Most likely though, as with Monster Hunter they'll probably just do a Quick Look, talk about it some on the Bombcast and end by saying: "Those interested in this game will probably already know whatever we might have to say about it, namely that it's mostly more [previous game in series], which most of us didn't really care for."

wow...welp if they don't even wanna give it a chance I guess I don't want them to give it a bad score. Demon Soul's was pretty much bashed by them from the get-go yet it's still my favorite game released for PS3 or 360.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By alternate

I think Rorie is the only one at WH that seems to have been in to the first one. maybe draft him in. If it were on PC I would expect Dave to be all up in it.

@handlas said:

@Timing said:

It is Famitsu. Either they bough some adverts with them this time or they just gave in to what the public opinion is - maybe selecting reviewers that were positive to the first one.

Ironically the Famitsu review of DA is likely quite accurate. i.e. if you gave 4 random gamers a copy one would love it, two would think it was okay and one would hate it :D

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea641329300b
    deactivated-5ea641329300b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hailinel said:

@handlas said:

@Timing said:

The guys do a Quick Look of it with Vinny at the controls. Vinny shows honest interest in figuring the game out, while everyone else remains baffled by why anyone would design a game in such a way, and then crack jokes about how Japanese the game is and From Software's track record.

This post cracked me up because this is exactly how it's going to go if they do a quick look.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Marcsman

Excellent. Time to die...........
    metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#37  Edited By metalsnakezero

I assume they will some sort of Quick Look just to get it out there for people who like it. But whatever Jeff didn't like Catherine but everyone else did. We all have options and it just happens that Giant bomb didn't like the game but we did.

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Timing

@handlas said:

@Timing said:

@handlas said:

wow...welp if they don't even wanna give it a chance I guess I don't want them to give it a bad score. Demon Soul's was pretty much bashed by them from the get-go yet it's still my favorite game released for PS3 or 360.

That's just a prediction though. Who knows, maybe we'll get a Quick Look with Dave, Vinny, Rorie and Kessler, all coming off very positive, then spreading the word around the office, garnering massive interest and weeks of coverage. I don't know. It might happen, it just doesn't seem very likely based on their earlier coverage of non-fighting, non-platforming Japanese games (see Monster Hunter Tri, Nier, Endless Ocean, Demon's Souls and any JRPG that isn't Persona).

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Turambar
    @xSUFFOKATEx said:

@Hailinel said:

@handlas said:

@Timing said:

This post cracked me up because this is exactly how it's going to go if they do a quick look.

The truth is funny and incredibly depressing at the same time.
    handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By handlas

@Timing said:

@handlas said:

On the latest podcast at Screened Rorie and Alex kind of more than hinted that Rorie is playing thru Dark Souls already.

...so good news? I dunno if that means he is gonna actually review it tho; don't think i've ever seen a Rorie review here. I like him tho so I wouldn't care. Maybe at least a Quick Look then.

edit: see someone mentioned it on another thread. Carry on!

Pathard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Pathard

@TrippinBungalow: I believe it's Graphics/Audio/Gameplay/Story (Not in that order) - I could be wrong. Each score is out of 100.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.