Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

New Game Plus, Curse You...

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mwng

Question for those of you who have started new game + really. Where are you and how are you finding it?

After not doing an awful lot of research on how new game plus works, I decided to give it a go, how hard can it be right?..

Long story short, have probably spent around 2 hours on Ornstein and Smough now. They were kinda ok the first time around with lots of blocking and strafing, but now they've moved into insta-kill territory, they're a nightmare to contend with!

I'm sitting at around soul level 110, unsure what kind of level I should be for this, or even if it makes much difference.

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Nadril

I breezed through most of NG+. The hardest was fighting the four kings when I was only like SL80.  

A lot of the harder fights I just summoned people just to get past them quicker. Really my biggest difficulty was that I went through all of the regular game with 12 vitality. I had to grind out vit a bit so that monsters wouldn't just 1 shot me. once I got up to 1200 hp or so it was a lot easier though and with a +10 fire greatsword most of the bosses were a joke. 

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mwng

Only trouble I have with summoning is staying human, that place is a PvP bonanza. Seem to get invaded the moment I step foot in that area as a human, good fun though, welcome destraction to the bosses...

Should probably try your elemental weapon idea, I've just been throwing around a black knight greatsword. Probably where I'm going wrong.

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Nadril

Just a regular one or +5? 

Either way that is pretty bad, such a weak weapon. 

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By bkbroiler

Trying joining the Way of the White covenant? I've been a part of that and never been invaded.

Giacomito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Giacomito

@mwng: funny, I'm stuck at the same spot.

They are a bitch in new game +. I usually dont have a problem until I kill Ornstein, then the big dude is super annoying.

Once, he had one hit left to die, and he hit me with his running attack and I died. Damn did that piss me off.

So I decided to go do some other stuff and level up some, currently at level 92.

I'll try to get my ascended Pyromancy flame to +5 and get some awesome pyromancy spells from quelana and see if that helps

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mwng
    @Nadril: +5 I've dumped all my points in strength as I had no idea what I was doing when I started, seems to hit for a little more than the fire greatsword you mentioned after some testing.

@Giacomito: I finally got them with some help from Knight Solaire, he distracted the fatty long enough for me to kill Ornstein with all 15 flasks still in tow. So it was just a case of outlasting the other dude (which I barely managed).

4 Kings were AWFUL too. First round I could just swing away as they didn't really do much damage, but on new game plus they were flooring me pretty often, meaning I couldn't zerg them down quick enough to not get swamped by them. It all got very messy, still don't know how I managed that one.

Nito is next on the hit list, I can't imagine the tree/seath would give much trouble as they barely hit me at all last time. Hopefully I can summon a bit of a posse for Nito though...
    Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Nadril

@mwng: 

I have a +5 Black Knight sword (not greatsword though) and a +10 fire greatsword. The fire greatsword massively out damages it even with 50 str. 

Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By Stahlbrand

I've been playing NG+ and I had a hard time with Smough and Orsntein myself. I banged that drum for like 4 hours before I finally cracked the nut. My problem was I needed to kill Ornstein second so I could get his soul, and I was playing at 5am so I couldn't find any help.

Did the Four Kings before going to bed this morning, it was pretty challenging as well. I tried summoning the witch a few times, but in the end, I did it hollowed with help from Iron Flesh.

Get more VIT. I've got like 25 VIT and it isn't really enough. I've got the Ring of Divine Favour on, so that helps, but I started NG+ with 15 VIT and was getting one-shot through my +9 armour. I should probably farm some souls and increase my VIT further.

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Nadril

^ That was my same story Stahlbrand. Started NG+ with 13 vit lol.  I feel like 25 ish vit though with RoDF is fine though (like 1200hp)

Awolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Awolf007

Just started ng+ about 20 mins ago. The novelty of running thru areas with a +5 lightening claymore that on the first play thru were a hassle is still holding me pretty well. But I'm not sure how long it will last. Just like with Demon's Souls I was psyched to start NG+ with sick weapons but it all too quickly became what amounts to a quasi speed run since my attention just tends to fade after I've played the game once already. The patience I had on first play just doesn't stick around on #2.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By shirogane

Upgrade your pyro hand. I took down those two with pyromancies on NG+ with my level 60 Thief. Hardly got touched. It did take me like 50 tries though. Solo i might add, not even Solaire, mainly cause, he'd disappear everytime i summoned him and wouldn't come into the boss room to help. That bastard.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By McShank

i farmed to much last game and got to SL 260. Been at this level for a while and not going to go higher. Cleared everything (Including all of the forest) up to sens fortress today starting at taurus demon. I also found that everything hurts me even with havels armor on (Whole reason i farmed that much was to wear this crap).

Awolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Awolf007

@mcshank - I got killed today by a fucking black knight while wearing Havels armor on NG+. Just goes to show that it can get a little ridiculous. Of course i was feeling invincible (as we often do in NG+) and instead of being smart i didn't drink any Estus and took an extra swipe at him when I should have took a step back.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By Humanity

I did NG+ on Demons Souls and found it wholly unsatisfying. In Demons Souls at least you can progress a little more non-lineary with a new character. If I made a new char in Dark Souls it seems like theres only one way I'd progress through most of the game.

I think the main problem is that in NG+ enemy scaling completely surpasses your stat scaling.

In Demons Souls I had a mage type character with most points in INT - in NG+ with INT around the 70-80's range (99 being maximum) and the insanity catalyst which doubled your spells attack rating AND rings boosting spell power - EVEN with all that, simply on NG+, the FIRST plus, some basic enemies not even bosses were taking 4-6 shots of soul ray. Considering the enemies keep getting tougher it goes to reason that I'd max out my INT stat and plateua with spell damage while the enemies would just keep getting beefier.

Those of you that tried the dragonstone glitch and powered your character to some ridiculous levels might have noticed that despite all that - you're never some walking God. Sure you can argue that the game is supposed to be humbling or whatever but at some point theres no payoff for all the grinding and hard work as enemies always outclass you.

I like the Souls games, but once I finally beat Dark Souls I doubt I'll play it again unless they release some patches or completely fix the summoning system to try some stress free pvp.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.