Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Please recommend a good mid-game armor !

herderotop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By herderotop

Hey :) i've been playing dark souls for some time now,but i cant find a armor that is good.... Im currently using the elite knight set,but it is too heavy... Maybe you guys can give me tips for good armors that i can find? Thx !

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The secret is that armor does not matter, you might be able to take 1-extra hit but it barely makes a difference. All that matters is that it is light enough for you to be able to roll quickly. Pick whatever looks cool and mix and match different parts so you can roll while still having some protection.

ikramit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ikramit

Armor does not play a big role in dark souls outside of fat roll heavy armor, so just go with something that lets you fast role (under 25%) of your equip limit and upgrade it using titanite

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I always go heavy armour: fat roll all day, baby! During my playthrough I used pieces from the following sets:

• Knight Set
    • Elite Knight Set
    • Xanthous Set
    • Havel's Set
    • Black Iron Set (finishing with this set)

I just found the lighter armour's to not be worth the extra speed. That just isn't my kind of play style (though, when I wanted speed I went with the Xanthous Set)

I should say that I wore Havel's Ring for almost the entirety of the game (obviously once you can get it).

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I spent a good long time in the gold hemmed stuff. After that I went with the silver knight and havels sets

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Armour does matter when it comes to status effects or elemental defence. I used Havel's set for most of the game. Its a crutch but whatever. I appreciate a good roll these days. I'll second the Gold Hemmed set.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Don't listen to the people who say that heavier armor doesn't matter because they're wrong. Depending on your build and playstyle, it can be completely invaluable.

a) Dying in 3 hits to a 3-hit combo vs. dying in 4+ hits to a 3-hit combo. It should be fairly obvious why one would be preferential to the other.

b) Poise is fairly necessary when using slower, heavier weapons, especially to players who are on their first playthrough, as they are likely the ones asking questions like this in the first place. The heavier armor sets provide significantly more poise than the lighter ones.

Elite Knight is a decent middle-ground armor before you get into the super heavy stuff; if you find yourself fat-rolling (or medium-rolling) and want to be faster, invest more points into Endurance to raise your Equip Load, and/or try to get your hands on Havel's Ring and/or the Ring of Favor and Protection. There are many sets of stronger, heavier armor after Elite Knight, but if you're already feeling too slow, equipping even heavier armor without raising your Equip Load first is obviously not the right answer.

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Elite Knight set upgraded to +10 is really good, bus most importantly it's the best looking armor for my taste.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

Right now I'm rolling with the red robes on my torso and legs, the elite knight gauntlets and the black iron helm. I'm all about the fast roll. But there are times where I need poise and I switch to the whole black iron set.

ikramit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ikramit

@ajamafalous: yeah full Havel and a great shield make the game a lot easier and alot less interesting if your me

@flashflood_29:Do you have the wolf ring?

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anybody saying that armor doesn't matter hasn't played with heavy armor.

Black Iron all the way.

I have a character sitting at SL 8, Havel's Ring, fully upgraded Black Iron set, and he takes unblocked hits like a SL 120. Still has medium roll, too.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are some pretty good calculators to figure out good combos. You'll end up wearing a loincloth and Havel's armor and look like a fool. But it actually works out well.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By Justin258

Go get Havel's Ring or put more points into Endurance. The Elite Knight armor is good mid-game armor, you just need the stats for it. Alternatively, go get the Gold-Hemmed set from in front of the Ceaseless Discharge.

Dragon_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Black Iron set is pretty great overall and doesn't weigh as much as some of the other heavy sets.

I ran it together with Blood-Stained Skirt because it made somewhat up for the lacking elemental defense and resistances + it made my guy look like a Dark Angels Space Marine, which was pretty awesome.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@ikramit: I do, but I'm wearing Havel's ring plus the one you get from Lautrec that you can't take off, right now.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Crimson Set

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

Saying "Armour doesn't matter" probably isn't the right way to phrase it. A better point would be "any armour can be useful to you depending on playstyle".

Unless you're looking for a specific resistance type, you'll often do well just to load up as close as you can get weight-wise to the tier you are happy being at (whether that's 25%, 50%, or 100%). Don't go halfway - if you find yourself at around 30% of your encumbrance limit, decide if you want to go down to 25% or up closer to 50%, because by being in that middle ground you kinda miss out on either benefit. Personally I used to favour a mid-roll but these days I tend to want a fast-roll. Even now though there are certain times when going for full Havel's and getting those big poise numbers can be super helpful.

I'd actually say if anything a bigger concern is finding a good shield. There's a few to pick from here but you're generally looking for 100% physical damage resistance and a high stability number (this affects how much stamina is used to block attacks). Unless, of course, you're playing a primarily evasive playstyle - but then you'd likely not be as concerned about armour, so I assume you're doing some blocking.

In answer to your original question though, Elite Knight is a pretty good set. If you're rolling too slowly you can take bits off - remember its okay to mix and match between sets, or to have a slot with nothing equipped in it - or look to increase your stamina. Havel's Ring is a great help too in those sorts of situations, if you have it. Remember too that you can upgrade your armour at the blacksmith, though only invest the materials there if you're certain you won't be changing it out soon (because otherwise the materials will be much better spent on your weapon).

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you want something light I would recommend the gold hemmed black set. It`s easy to get and I ended up using it through the whole game.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Getz

Who's that guy who says "Aye, shimwae"

I think he sells a pretty decent set for early to mid game

herderotop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for all the answers guys you really helped me out !! thx

herderotop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thx again guys :) i got the havel ring and now im using parts of different armors and i can still fast roll :) im going to defeat queelag now !

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By NeverGameOver

Fashion souls but really if you are struggling with a particular boss, the key is to look at what kind of damage the boss doess and wear whatever you have that has the highest resistance in that type of damage. Against Quelaag, a high fire resist armor with a high fire resist shield is best. You probably don't have it yet but Black Knight shield makes that fight a joke on NG+. On NG, I think I usually use the heater shield, but if you are really struggling, perhaps grab the Dragon Crest Shield in the Valley of Drakes. For armor, I think the pyro set is the best you're likely to have on NG.

pcorb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dixavd said:

I always go heavy armour: fat roll all day, baby! During my playthrough I used pieces from the following sets:

• Knight Set
    • Elite Knight Set
    • Xanthous Set
    • Havel's Set
    • Black Iron Set (finishing with this set)

I just found the lighter armour's to not be worth the extra speed. That just isn't my kind of play style (though, when I wanted speed I went with the Xanthous Set)

I should say that I wore Havel's Ring for almost the entirety of the game (obviously once you can get it).

A used a combination of Havel's ring, the Dark wood grain ring, and questionable stat point investment to do fast rolls in full Havel armour. It was great.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I can't wait for this to hit BC so I can fat roll all day again baby!

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Paladin Armor is an often overlooked incredible armor set that also looks badass. It has super high resistances and defense, great curse and bleed resist, and it's not even that heavy. Plus it's easy to get!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.