Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Rising 2

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Sep 02, 2010

Dead Rising 2 is a third-person action-adventure survival horror game that takes place five years after the end of the original Dead Rising, moving its zombie apocalypse setting into the glamorous Fortune City.

I wish I had bought the PC version of DR2

Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

Edited By Stahlbrand

I'm really enjoying DR2 so far, I've put a dozen hours in or so -- enough to play the first bit a few times and go on a survivor-only run through to the D ending and end up at level 37 or so.

I have a great gaming computer, and I had a hard time deciding between getting the game on PC or my 360.  In the end I decided that I would go with the 360 because I had played the first on on the 360 (obviously), I had played Case Zero, and I might play co-op with it eventually.  I also held GFWL against the PC version, because I didn't really want to have to mess with that, or get those dubious PC achievements on my record (merely personal preference).

I was, however just listening to the Bombcast while taking care of the dishes, and hearing them talk about the game running at 1920x1080 at a solid 60fps with snap-fast load times.

I really wish they had made a PC demo.  I didn't know if this was going to be a 'good' PC port, or if it was going to be one of those 'no better than the console' ports.

Oh well, money spent and time invested, no point in going back now.  Maybe if they put DR2 on sale during one of their crazy Steam sales....

So, if you're reading this and trying to decide between PC and console, go with the PC if you have an up to date box.

Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Stahlbrand

I'm really enjoying DR2 so far, I've put a dozen hours in or so -- enough to play the first bit a few times and go on a survivor-only run through to the D ending and end up at level 37 or so.

I have a great gaming computer, and I had a hard time deciding between getting the game on PC or my 360.  In the end I decided that I would go with the 360 because I had played the first on on the 360 (obviously), I had played Case Zero, and I might play co-op with it eventually.  I also held GFWL against the PC version, because I didn't really want to have to mess with that, or get those dubious PC achievements on my record (merely personal preference).

I was, however just listening to the Bombcast while taking care of the dishes, and hearing them talk about the game running at 1920x1080 at a solid 60fps with snap-fast load times.

I really wish they had made a PC demo.  I didn't know if this was going to be a 'good' PC port, or if it was going to be one of those 'no better than the console' ports.

Oh well, money spent and time invested, no point in going back now.  Maybe if they put DR2 on sale during one of their crazy Steam sales....

So, if you're reading this and trying to decide between PC and console, go with the PC if you have an up to date box.

Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Malakhii

The PC version is $20 cheaper too....... If you have a nice rig always go PC, especially if it's a good port, because they PC version will almost always be better. 

Avatar image for dork_metamorphosis
    Dork_Metamorphosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I don't play games on PC unless I have no other option.  To me, being able to sit on the couch and play on a big screen with minimal fuss is worth much more than improvements in graphics or whatever.   I'm old and value convenience.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Dork_Metamorphosis: I use my hdtv as my pc monitor, problem solved. If you can't get over pc controls just use a xbox360 controller.  

To the op, thanks for the info, I was sort of on the fence whether I will run it well or not. I guess it shouldn't be a problem.
    Jeldh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Jeldh
    @Dork_Metamorphosis said:
    " I don't play games on PC unless I have no other option.  To me, being able to sit on the couch and play on a big screen with minimal fuss is worth much more than improvements in graphics or whatever.   I'm old and value convenience. "
    Agreed, also playing split screen is a major thing for me. Although Dead Rising 2 does not have splitscreen I will probably get it for Xbox. 

@HitmanAgent47 said:
    " @Dork_Metamorphosis: I use my hdtv as my pc monitor, problem solved. If you can't get over pc controls just use a xbox360 controller.   To the op, thanks for the info, I was sort of on the fence whether I will run it well or not. I guess it shouldn't be a problem. "

Well, that works. Too bad I'm a poor student :(
    Dork_Metamorphosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MrCaptain said:
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    " @Dork_Metamorphosis: I use my hdtv as my pc monitor, problem solved. If you can't get over pc controls just use a xbox360 controller.   To the op, thanks for the info, I was sort of on the fence whether I will run it well or not. I guess it shouldn't be a problem. "
    Well, that works. Too bad I'm a poor student :( "
    That might work if I was okay with the idea of putting a PC in the living room. 
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Dork_Metamorphosis: here is how I did it. I put it on my desk, seriously it works. If there isn't enough distance, just put another table in front of it. Of course you don't sit right in front, you move away arms length. Also it looks good because when games are full 1080p, you see every pixel, it's not blurry at all, you can't do this with console games without keeping a distance.

For the thread, I used to remember reading on the steam forum how alot of ppl can't even get the game started or it doesn't work well. There are ppl with very strong videocards that said they can't run it well, then again, i'm hearing to the contrary so that's good.
    Dork_Metamorphosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@HitmanAgent47: 

How big is that TV?  I've been meaning to get a bigger one for the living room and I guess I would have a spare ...
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Dork_Metamorphosis: 40" toshiba regza 120hz hdtv. 

For the thread, i'm thinking about getting this game, i'm on the fence, not sure if I would like it or not because I heard the timer could be fustrating. However I was looking forward to a new game recently and I hope there is replay value without being overly fustrating. I'm sure the graphics are phenomenal because I seen a few screenshots from the pc version.
    sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By sins_of_mosin
    @Malakhii: 
    How so?  Is it only to visual whores?  When you make a baseless claim like that, it sure makes you look like a tool.

@HitmanAgent47:

How close do you sit to that screen?  The keyboard/mouse location would suggest you sit within two feet of that screen.  Makes my eyes hurt just thinking about it. 

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @sins_of_mosin: three and a half feet, I lean back on my very comfortable chair. To describe it, it's like looking through a windshield, it's not that big because you don't pay attention that much to the borders and you just look through it like a window. Trust me someone else on the forum did exactly the same thing as me as an experiment and he really liked it. Don't knock it until you tried it I say. I might try it with two hdtvs one day, even three when I get enough money, however I have to move my other sony 120hz hdtv out here and it's not the same height, so it's a hassle and I can't see the crosshair in the middle. Both hdtvs are 40" 

It all started when I was looking for a good monitor, I have a list of features it must have, like hdmi, bigger size, speakers, good reviews, I couldn't find one. I looked at thousands of monitors until I thought why not just use a hdtv instead. Not too many ppl has put one on their desk and I like looking for innovative sort of ideas for pc gaming. I had to get someone else to carry this in the house, and after he saw the screen, he said you must be crazy, looking at the big screen. However you will get used to it in a week and you won't ever go back to a smaller monitor. Even a 27" monitor is laughable.
    sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By sins_of_mosin

I lean back from my 24" but my keyboard/mouse is at a further distance then yours.

Liminality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By Liminality
    " @HitmanAgent47:   How big is that TV?  I've been meaning to get a bigger one for the living room and I guess I would have a spare ... "
    I have 2 screens plugged into my PC, one 19" monitor and a 32" TV to use from my bed, also playing Dead Rising 2 with the wireless 360 controller on the PC :P
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#14  Edited By alistercat

The PC version just got patched. Anyone know what it's for? I need my patch notes!

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15  Edited By Cincaid

This thread made me look at my monitor and TV. And weep.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By agentboolen
    @Stahlbrand:  I'm already planning on buying it through a good Steam sale, even though I already own it on Xbox 360.  Me my problem was no demo of course, and I don't have a clue if my laptop has a chance in hell of running it.  Its a Dell with a AMD Turion x2 dual core processor that runs at 2.2ghz with ATI Mobilty Radeon HD 4330.  In all truth I would think it could run it on decent settings (seems to meet specs to me) but the way it runs Left 4 Dead 2 (which also seemed to meet specs) I didn't think I would have a chance in hell.
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Driadon

I've been quite surprised, outside of a few black sheep (Resident Evil 4 and Lost Planet) most Capcom published PC ports have been exceptional in performance. Me thinks someone over there realizes that as long as they make their graphics engines efficient, then can rake in a few extra sales from the PC dudes, plus they are damned cheap compared to the console versions. 

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By iam3green

i got it for the ps3. i didn't know if it was going to be good or not either. i can always buy it some other time.

Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Stahlbrand

I'm really enjoying it still on the 360, and I think I'll probably go for the S-rank, but if it drops low on a Steam sale I will pick it up.  

Always make a demo for a PC game - there are so many variables from user to user that a demo really helps consume confidence.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Stahlbrand: Oh and there's mods on the PC too. 

Salt in the wound.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Driadon said:
    " Lost Planet "
    ..was exceptional on PC, as was the Colonies edition.  What are you talking about?
    Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Grillbar

if you dont care about trophy's/achivements and have a pc that can run it at max then you should buy it on the pc.
    it looks better, less/allmost none load time and no frame rate drop. the mods are just there to ruin the fun, but they are there

i personally bought the ps3 and love it i completed the came in my first try and ended up as lvl 47. with a a ending. the only reason i diddent get a the best rank was i diddent give the give something to someone (trying not to spoil anything) and diddent wanna waste time on it, just wanted to complete the game 

my second playthough i completed everything saved all the survivers, killed all the psychos and got the best ending (allso filled out the notebook for all the "secret" survivers)  
    now i only need to complete it 3 more times 1 in co-op 1 where i kill the 72000 + some zombies and 1 where im going to get all the clothes eat all the food/drinks and use all meele/fireams/eksplosive weapons on a zombie and so on. 

have allready gotten kathy all the gifts platnium here i come allthough the t.k's favorit is going to be a pain only need master shafter and pounds of flesh and they are the ones im worst at. i have won the others multiple times but cant win those even though i have come really really close urgh
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By Driadon
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @Driadon said:
    " Lost Planet "
    ..was exceptional on PC, as was the Colonies edition.  What are you talking about? "
    Performance was borked for me, read some forums and it sounded like it was the same across the board.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Driadon said:
    " @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @Driadon said:
    " Lost Planet "
    ..was exceptional on PC, as was the Colonies edition.  What are you talking about? "
    Performance was borked for me, read some forums and it sounded like it was the same across the board. "
    Well it wasn't borked for me and there was a benchmark too.  Even the PC reviews rarely complained of performance issues.
    Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
    " I don't play games on PC unless I have no other option.  To me, being able to sit on the couch and play on a big screen with minimal fuss is worth much more than improvements in graphics or whatever.   I'm old and value convenience. "
    Get an HDMI cable, and a converter for your 3.5 if you need one, and get a wireless 360 gamepad receiver. Better performance, better graphics, access to mods, equal convenience.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.