Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space 2

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Jan 25, 2011

Dead Space 2 is the sequel to the 2008 surprise hit Dead Space. The no-longer-silent Isaac Clarke finds himself trapped on a city-sized space station called the Sprawl, which has been overtaken by another Necromorph infestation.

How do I remove the (free DLC) 1.1 patch in Dead Space 2?

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I got Dead Space 2 on Origin, it was the cheapest place, after loving Dead Space 1 (from the Humble Bundle). Sadly I am having an issue where it auto-patch the game and it now includes a whole host of free DLC suits and weapons that I dont want in my shop, kind of ruins the upgrading part of the game. If absolutely needed I could try and just ignore it but I would much rather remove the patch.

Does anyone know how to downgrade Dead Space 2, specifically on Origin, to the launch version?

I have tried downloading the 1.0 .exe, linked on steam but apparently downloaded from Origin, but it complains about lack of an activation .dll.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I think you need to build up that willpower a little bit, man. Sorry, no constructive answer.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think you need to build up that willpower a little bit, man. Sorry, no constructive answer.

Its not so much about the Willpower. They added in 40 weapons (though mostly just high end stat-increased versions) and about 10 suits (with are health, inventory etc.) and I cant tell which is the one Im supposed to be buying. In the original game, and ive yet to test in Dead Space 2, when you buy an upgraded suit there is no way to downgrade which would ruin the difficulty and tension of the game if I am super overpowered.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Yeah, that dlc was pretty awful when I played it. It ruined the difficulty of the early stuff by saving you a ton of money and getting you tons of stats, and it made all the normal upgrades you find worthless. Not to mention having 50+ options in the store is a pain to sort through.

Between that and the inane dialogue from Isaac, it made the game feel like a really cheap sell-out sequel. Never did finish it, which is a shame because I thought the first was pretty great.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

Your best bet is to find a list of the the suits and weapons and force yourself to stick to them

This is what gamespot has. Just don't use any of the suits unless they are listed there

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its kind of gratifying to know its not just me that has in issue with this, I may have to run with a list of what weapons and suits unlock where.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Yep, I absolutely fucking hated this when i played it. Unfortunately, it seems the best you can do is just make a mental note of the regular items and stick to them. DO NOT put them all into the store, if you do, it will possibly break the game and even cause indefinite loading screens (I found this the hard way D:).

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Bump up the difficulty?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Bump up the difficulty?

I think you've misunderstood. That is not the issue, they're basically clogging up the inventory/shop with items that are essentially cheats (you get items at the start of the game that are more powerful than anything else in the game). It just becomes very hard to immediately tell which items you should have access to at a certain point in the game. Using the items on any difficulty still makes you far more powerful than you should be.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13  Edited By Justin258

@beachthunder said:

@believer258 said:

Bump up the difficulty?

I think you've misunderstood. That is not the issue, they're basically clogging up the inventory/shop with items that are essentially cheats (you get items at the start of the game that are more powerful than anything else in the game). It just becomes very hard to immediately tell which items you should have access to at a certain point in the game. Using the items on any difficulty still makes you far more powerful than you should be.

Oh.

I don't remember getting them in the 360 version, and I just played the Origin version and the only thing available to me was the engineering suit and the refurbished Plasma Cutter. I guess I just didn't get the update, or maybe the OP has hope and there's a way to get rid of them.

EDIT: My Google-fu has gotten better! That's a link to someone on the Steam forums with the same problems. You could start looking for a solution there. Apparently it is an issue with the Steam version of DS2. Here's the Google search I did.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

my Google-fu has gotten better! That's a link to someone on the Steam forums with the same problems. You could start looking for a solution there. Apparently it is an issue with the Steam version of DS2. Here's the Google search I did.

Sadly I already know about that stuff. What they recommend is getting the 1.0 exe from Origin, where I already am, or using one they pre-downloaded from Origin. Sadly Origin has since added the patch and forced me to update. Despite deleting and redownloading the entire 9gb (Im on a fairly slowly connection) I cant find a why to not have that patch. When you put the Exe in from the Steam post it complains about not having an activation .dll.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I remember having this issue but not really being bothered by it too much when I saw what it was. About 2/3rds of the way through the game I felt I maxed out my suite of weapons I liked and I didn't feel too much of a stretch to replace them with the slightly beefier versions of the guns from the DLC as part of the progression path. Point being that if you do it right, with little effort you can just integrate them into the normal progression curve. Granted it kinda sucks the player has to do it with a possibility of failure but far from automatically breaking the game.

It's more a question of just not going for the suits unless you really feel like you're being outpaced by the difficulty or progression. I didn't and never used them until much later to see what they did etc. For what it's worth it's still one of my favorite games of this generation.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I remember having this issue but not really being bothered by it too much when I saw what it was. About 2/3rds of the way through the game I felt I maxed out my suite of weapons I liked and I didn't feel too much of a stretch to replace them with the slightly beefier versions of the guns from the DLC as part of the progression path. Point being that if you do it right, with little effort you can just integrate them into the normal progression curve. Granted it kinda sucks the player has to do it with a possibility of failure but far from automatically breaking the game.

It's more a question of just not going for the suits unless you really feel like you're being outpaced by the difficulty or progression. I didn't and never used them until much later to see what they did etc. For what it's worth it's still one of my favorite games of this generation.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pazy said:

@spoonman671 said:

Its not so much about the Willpower. They added in 40 weapons (though mostly just high end stat-increased versions) and about 10 suits (with are health, inventory etc.) and I cant tell which is the one Im supposed to be buying. In the original game, and ive yet to test in Dead Space 2, when you buy an upgraded suit there is no way to downgrade which would ruin the difficulty and tension of the game if I am super overpowered.

Holy crap, that's a lot of guns. Yeah, that might be a pain from an inventory management perspective.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.