Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Demon's Souls

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 06, 2009

Demon's Souls is an action-RPG developed by From Software and released in 2009. It quickly became popular within hardcore circles for its relentlessly steep difficulty level, deep combat system, and unique multiplayer integration.

Demon's Souls - Someone please explain World Tendancy

Smeatbass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey, guys, I'm going through Demon's Souls again. The servers shutting down got me to want to try and platinum it before they do. I know that I need all unique weapons for a trophy, which means ones like the Dragon God weapon.

I never paid attention to world tendency my first two times through the game, so someone please explain it to me? I've beaten 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, and 4-1. I heard it has something to do with killing bosses without dying... I beat the armored spider, Flamelurker, and Adjuticator and their levels without dying, so do I still have a shot on this play through?

Any help would be appreciate. Thanks!

CrimsonJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. You can't just be up there and just doin' world tendency like that.

1a. World tendency is when you

1b. Okay well listen. World tendency is when you world tendency the

1c. Let me start over

1c-a. The player is not allowed to do a motion to the, uh, boss, that prohibits the boss from doing, you know, just trying to hit the player. You can't do that.

1c-b. Once the player is in the animation, he can't be over here and say to the NPC, like, "I'm gonna get ya! I'm gonna take you out! You better watch your butt!" and then just be like he didn't even do that.

1c-b(1).Like, if you're about to attack and then don't attack , you have to still attack. You cannot not attack. Does that make any sense?

1c-b(2). You gotta be, swinging motion of the attack, and then, until you just finish it.

1c-b(2)-a.Okay, well, you can have the swing up here, like this, but then there's the world tendency you gotta think about.

1c-b(2)-b.Fairuza Balk hasn't been in any movies in forever. I hope she wasn't typecast as that racist lady in American History X.

1c-b(2)-b(i). Oh wait, she was in The Waterboy too! That would be even worse.

1c-b(2)-b(ii). "get in mah bellah" -- Adam Water, "The Waterboy." Haha, classic...

1c-b(3).Okay seriously though. World tendency is when the player makes a movement that, as determined by, when you do a move involving Demon's Souls and King's field of

2. Do not do world tendency please.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

You're probably just going to want to read a wiki page on world tendency. It's actually pretty complicated and there are different rules depending on if you are playing offline versus online.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By LeStephan

@smeatbass: First of: play offline, If you play online world tendency gets affected by other players.

I believe it mostly comes down to beating levels without dying in human form, so if you want to go for pure white in a level you want to make sure you dont die as a human(with the full healthbar) in that level. dying in soulform (which is the half health form) doesnst affect shit afaik. Everytime you beat a boss, you turn human automatically and want to kill yourself inmediately in a level you want to "make blacker" so you dont risk dying as human in world you want to make whiter.

So:

-Beating a level without dying in human form and killing invaders or black phantoms makes it go towards white.

-Dying as human, killing npcs or invading other people and killing them makes it go towards black.

Theres also character tendency which basically works the same except it carries across all the levels.

I honestly dont think you should occupy yourself with it too much though, I see it more as a way they implemented a way for repeated playthhroughs to be slightly different. if you really want to know everything about it you should indeed check out the wiki :P

Avatar image for purpleeggshells
    purpleeggshells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

It's worth remembering there are 8 states of world ranging from pure black, through to neutral and pure white.

this is a useful resource from the demon's souls wikidot wiki. You can influence world tendency whilst playing online, but be aware if you login to the server again it will automatically restore your world tendency to the server average (I don't know what this is today, back in the day it was generally light grey).

Pure White world tendency events are difficult to get without planning, as any death in body form will reduce world tendency, offsetting the bonuses from killing bosses, but pure black can be achieved by simply dying, restoring yourself to body form in that world and dying again over and over until pure black is achieved.

These extreme world states are tied to events throughout - new NPCs appear, small areas unlock and new items are available. If I were you I'd take some time to look at the pure white tendency events and pure black tendency events, and decide which, if any, you'd like to attempt. It's likely you'll need to start a new playthrough.

Additionally to world tendency, there is character tendency, which follows the same scale and is indicated as the human icon in the centre of the world tendency indicator on the main menu. Pure white increases damage and gives you access to some items, whereas pure black unlocks multiple assassination quests.

As you can see, this is a complicated subject and requires some planning if you want to try and access all the content. My advice is go for white worlds first and complete all 3 stages (because worlds start slightly closer to white than black on the server, usually), and then manually turn it to black by dying in body form 7 times. Of course as previously mentioned, all of this works best offline to avoid risk of the server resetting the world tendencies, so if you'd rather join in with online events until then and tackle this at a later date! (Also, there is a useful method of item duplication should you want to complete everything in a playthrough, otherwise restoring yourself to life without a supply of stones of stones of ephemeral eyes is painful and tedious to say the least, but I won't spoil that if you would rather not).

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Yeah if you want to do 100% of the items and events you need a perfect guide to follow or multiple playthroughs. I honestly don't even know if it's possible to do all of it in one go, though I'd assume it is?

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

@crimsonjesus: Thank you. I'm not sure why but thank you for this.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Turambar

@tobbrobb said:

Yeah if you want to do 100% of the items and events you need a perfect guide to follow or multiple playthroughs. I honestly don't even know if it's possible to do all of it in one go, though I'd assume it is?

Most pure white tendency events allows you to do a quest for a character while pure black tendency events results you killing them, and both can be done if you achieve pure white first. However, I believe World 1 (and maybe world 4?) is an exception where both ends of the tendency meter involves you killing the same NPC, meaning you can only do one of them.

purpleeggshells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turambar said:
    @tobbrobb said:

Most pure white tendency events allows you to do a quest for a character while pure black tendency events results you killing them, and both can be done if you achieve pure white first. However, I believe World 1 (and maybe world 4?) is an exception where both ends of the tendency meter involves you killing the same NPC, meaning you can only do one of them.

actually the PWWT and PBWT characters with the same name are independent of each other - killing one does not prevent the other showing up once you alter the world tendency

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@turambar said:
    @tobbrobb said:

actually the PWWT and PBWT characters with the same name are independent of each other - killing one does not prevent the other showing up once you alter the world tendency

Does it not? I could swear I remember killing Sasaki in PWWT and not being able to fight him in PBWT.

purpleeggshells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turambar: I could be mistaken, but I'd put money on the accuracy of a memory I have of killing Miranda in PW, turning the WT to PB and fighting her phantom form in the same game, just for one example

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.