Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Demon's Souls

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 06, 2009

Demon's Souls is an action-RPG developed by From Software and released in 2009. It quickly became popular within hardcore circles for its relentlessly steep difficulty level, deep combat system, and unique multiplayer integration.

European about to start the game

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By gosukiller

I'm getting the game friday, really excited to see what all the fuzz is about. 
    Seeing as this is a very very unforgiving RPG, I'd like to ask the GB community for some spoiler-free tips. 
    Anything I should be paying special attention to, that could ruin a playthrough? 
    I don't have unlimited time to restart 2 or 3 times because I've made a fatal error.

Again, no spoilers please, I just want to get some starting tips.

sikila

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By sikila

Do not go for a Mage the first time. The Game is alot more fun with a Meele Character. Also I would look up a Character Build in the DS Wiki:
    http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/
    Otherwise play very carefully and use your Shield as much as possible. Also when you are gonna heal do it when far away from the enemy.
     That´s all for now and if you wanna know some more stuff I´ll gladly help you out.

Kazzurak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Kazzurak
    @gosukiller: Cool im also getting it friday :) Im having a hard time not reading too much into it / watching gameplay and what not. But im really excited about getting it
    HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By HypoXenophobia

Don't invest in luck, dexterity will help you in the long run. If you feel your not doing enough damage, light your sword on fire.

My spoiler-free advice

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#5  Edited By Jazz

First time through, go with a Royal. 
    You have a low Soul level, so it doesn't cost much to level up, a nice long range spell and a ring that refills your MP. 
    Best thing to use to get used to the game..after that, its totally down to personal preference.

FrankWeidner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By FrankWeidner

Give the Royalty class a shot to start. You start with a healing spell, but more importantly, it's the only class that starts with a ring that restores MP. Plus, the class is flexible enough that you can be pretty decent in both melee and magic, or you can specialize in one of them. 

But man, MP restoring and healing spells are a sweet combo.

FrankWeidner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By FrankWeidner
    @Jazz said:
    " First time through, go with a Royal. You have a low Soul level, so it doesn't cost much to level up, a nice long range spell and a ring that refills your MP. Best thing to use to get used to the game..after that, its totally down to personal preference. "
    Beat me to it!
    gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By gosukiller
    @HypoXenophobia:@HypoXenophobia:@GilbertMordinAndSullivan:@Sikila: 
    Thanks everyone for the good help, I'll start with a Royal then.
    Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Quacktastic

There's a kind of huge thing you should know but it could be considered a spoiler.  But it is something that can mess up your game pretty bad, so:

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#10  Edited By Jazz

Yeah..that's a good thing to remember.

ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By ToxicFruit

hmm I bought the bought the game from america last December and played the shit out of it  but I am live in Iceland, do  you guys think I will be able to play with other EU ppl ?

mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mano521

fuck!  the title of this thread made me lose the game

MrMuscle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By MrMuscle

Im getting this as well when it comes to Norway on friday. I just bought a Ps3 last weekend mostly because of this and Heavy Rain. The quick look up on the site wasnt very forgiving. But after eading about this game for months its clear to me that although a challenging, this game will be fun to play.
    gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By gosukiller
    @mano521: What?
    Onigenko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Onigenko

I'm getting it on Friday also. I'm thinking of playing through it using Fist weapons only, is that even possible?

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#16  Edited By Icemael

You  do know that you'll get a strategy guide with the game, right? I'm guessing that'll contain all sorts of neat advice on classes and stuff like that.

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By gosukiller
    @Icemael: I totally forgot about that! I've never used a strategy guide in my life, except for a quick glance at the Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion.

I'm kind of doubting wherther I should use it off the batt, since I want to experience stuff for myself mostly instead of being guided around.
    HaniBall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HaniBall

Been a while since I played DS. 

One thing that people tend to miss out on is the "story". Pay attention to all the clues. Each conversation contains information about the wolrd and how it ended up in its current state. 
    Unlike other Japanese titles, DS wastes no words. The is NO exposition in this game. You really have to work for it.
    And chances are it will only really open up to you after 2 or three playthroughs.

And oh, invest in a decent bow. Life saver in first playthrough.
    If youre not a purist pump up Dex enough for it to do some damage. (chances are your first char wont be perfect anyways and you have a number of options to delevel in the game if you need to)

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By dbz1995

I'll happily start a new game with you-I'll probably be a Mage or something like that

Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Carlos1408

I just got it this week dude! :D 
    In Spain! Man I was so upset when this didn't come out in Europe when it first came out. So glad it finally came out in Europe. Man it's a tough game, but fair and good if you are cautious and respectful. It's what I expected and more, just love it.  

I started out as a Templar Knight, I just wanted someone that specialized in close range and had some guaranteed healing spells. Man the "something" Falchion +1 (sorry can't remember what it's called) and a healing spell I have at the moment are an awesome combo. I think I'm around level 34 or 36 at the moment.
    Can't really give you advice, you're probably way further than me by now. But yeah, just thought I'd share the happiness :P

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Karkarov

Royal is the easiest starting class, it does not get a healing spell though.  Spoiler free?  Learn to love your shield, do not mistake the game for diablo play the game like you would if you really were stuck in a crappy hell hole and everyone you met wanted to kill you.  That said learn to dodge because not getting hit is always better than getting hit even if you take no damage from it.  Do not read wiki's or strategy guides.  You will be a better player by learning the hard way.  Do not pump any stat until you experiment and decide what you really want to play.  Pumping dex is fine, if you love bows, don't plan to use much magic beyond defensive, and only like katana's, scimitars, and war scythes.  If you wanted to use something else though you just gimped yourself.  If you have to pump one stat pump vitality, being harder to kill is always good.  And did I mention don't read wiki's, especially ones about builds.  Learn the game yourself or you will be forever a newb no matter what weapon you have or how good your build is for it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.