Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Demon's Souls

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 06, 2009

Demon's Souls is an action-RPG developed by From Software and released in 2009. It quickly became popular within hardcore circles for its relentlessly steep difficulty level, deep combat system, and unique multiplayer integration.

My copy comes today

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By sagesebas

Any tips for starting out?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

Choose Royal class. Never go around a corner without your shield up, and just take your time really. You'll learn the gameplay elements slowly but surely as you play.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By shivermetimbers

Play the healer class (forgot the name), memorize boss patterns, and take your time and have your shield up. Don't expect huge progress each time you play.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By CL60

Don't use the boss souls on yourself. They can be used for upgrades. Be patient. The game isn't really hard if you're patient.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By animateria

Take the combat slow, wildly swinging your weapon doesn't work here.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose

Don't go Royalty, it gets too easy in the early parts of the game.
    You might wanna think about killing yourself whenever you return to human form (because of all that world tendency stuff).
    Take things slow.

Oh, and be sure to snag the Cling and Thief rings in 1-1, they're some of the most useful items you'll come across.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sagesebas

Cool thanks everyone, I am really excited to start this one

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Yummylee
    @TheSeductiveMoose said:

" Don't go Royalty, it gets too easy in the early parts of the game. You might wanna think about killing yourself whenever you return to human form (because of all that world tendency stuff). Take things slow.  Oh, and be sure to snag the Cling and Thief rings in 1-1, they're some of the most useful items you'll come across. "

I personally never used a Royal (I admittedly didn't know of the gear/magic that class had during my first playthrough), though I figured it's always best to point out that it is one of the easiest classes for the people who have trouble with the game otherwise. 

@CL60 said:

" Don't use the boss souls on yourself. They can be used for upgrades. Be patient. The game isn't really hard if you're patient. "

A very vital tip. Same goes for any ''coloured'' demon's souls, should you find any.
    Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Akeldama
    @sagesebas said:
    " Any tips for starting out? "
    Allow yourself ample time to play.
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Abyssfull:  Yeah, but I think it gets a little too easy, seeing as you can kill most of the things you'll encounter in the earlier parts with just 1-2 Soul Arrows (which also makes the Tower Knight fight a walk in the park). I'd personally recommend the knight as a good starting class.

Though, if you're having too much trouble definitely go with the Royal.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Yummylee
    @TheSeductiveMoose said:
    " @Abyssfull:  Yeah, but I think it gets a little too easy, seeing as you can kill most of the things you'll encounter in the earlier parts with just 1-2 Soul Arrows (which also makes the Tower Knight fight a walk in the park). I'd personally recommend the knight as a good starting class. "
    Fair point. That or The Wanderer, since I feel that's the most ideal class to ease you into crafting your own play style from the outset, with their stats being pretty evenly distributed.
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By animateria
    @TheSeductiveMoose said:
    "  You might wanna think about killing yourself whenever you return to human form (because of all that world tendency stuff). "
    At the Nexus.
    coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By coaxmetal

Don't worry about losing souls too much, they easy to farm later if you want to and dieing is part of the game. You can get away with putting points into whatever is cool, but it might benefit you to look up at a build or two on the demon's souls wiki (  http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/). I wouldn't recommend following one of those builds strictly though, esp not for a first time. 

Basically, don't screw yourself, so unless you are going to be using the blueblood sword, for example, don't bother with luck, and unless you plan to focus on miracles, don't bother putting mor into faith than you need to get 1 (or maybe 2) miracle slots. Endurance is useful, esp for a melee character. Try to keep your equip encumberance under 50% so you can roll well. If you have questions about what stuff means, since the game doesn't explain itself very well, and don't want to try to divine it for yourself, that wiki is good and you can always just ask. 

Also as someone mentioned, don't use the boss souls. The exceptions are the red and blue dragons should you choose to kill them (they are optional). You can't do anything with their souls. Also, completing world 2 is useful, and its archemon is easy, and allows you to forge weapons. 

Have fun.

TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animateria said:
    " @TheSeductiveMoose said:
    "  You might wanna think about killing yourself whenever you return to human form (because of all that world tendency stuff). "
    At the Nexus. "
    Oh yeah, that's really important, otherwise it'd be kinda pointless. Also remember to check the staircases for your souls, if you had any.
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Gabriel
    @animateria said:
    " @TheSeductiveMoose said:
    At the Nexus. "
    we still talking about Demon's Souls?
    sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sagesebas
    @Gabriel: yeah
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, if you decide on melee, don't go with heavy plate armor for your first play-through.  I find it much more useful to have the agility to dodge attacks.  I would wear some type of leather armor until you can get the Shaman's gear from the fifth world.  I use the Shaman's gear and the Northern Regalia.

EDIT:  Something else I didn't see, don't use colorless demon's souls, as they can upgrade several of the "special" weapons.

Andheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By Andheez
    @sagesebas: 
     Go slow and don't under estimate ANY enemy at any level, take your time and practice the things you have learned.  Do your best to single enemies out.  Explore.
    Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Nasar7

Take it slow and enjoy!

PatriotsAreGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#21  Edited By PatriotsAreGod

Get a bow. Period.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By sagesebas
    @Andheez:  I am having a bunch of fun with it, I beat the first boss last night

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.