Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny 2

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 06, 2017

The full-fledged follow-up to Bungie's sci-fi "looter shooter", streamlining much of the previous game's mechanics while featuring larger worlds and new abilities. It was later made free-to-play.

Bungie's hiring a senior progression designer

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1d502761653
    deactivated-5d1d502761653

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

• Create sustainable player progression and chase through Destiny 2’s Bright Engram
    • Work closely with our Live product manager to analyze key performance indicators to inform design
    • Design and implement new features and systems with an eye on engagement, retention, and monetization
    • Use data and design sensibilities to define strategies for maintaining ideal engagement patterns and maximizing player satisfaction
    • Work with Destiny 2 leadership to help define a cohesive monetization experience across multiple expansions and seasons

Link

After the XP throttling drama and base game content getting locked behind payed DLC (6 weeks after the game launched on PC) it seems Bungie is completely disconnected from the player base.

Honestly if they would actively try to drive me away from the game they could not do better than that.

Torrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Twist: Who gets the job is decided by loot box

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They don't need a Progression Designer. They need a . . . let's call it a "Common Sense Architect." The job would basically be telling the current leadership team "No, it's actually really stupid to do things that way." For example, the Common Sense Architect would look at that job posting and say, "No, that's actually a really stupid idea."

I suspect this would be a full-time job.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By BisonHero

Can I be the "Best Value" Designer?

Spoiler alert, you should spend $100 to get best value.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Justin258

"We need someone to help us keep players playing and edge them towards buying things while still being able to reasonably say you don't have to buy anything beyond the base game and DLC to potential customers".

I don't think this should be a surprise or an outrage, really. I could have told you this was their intention before release. Hiring someone to help better realize your vision doesn't sound like a bad move, if this is really how you plan to conduct business. I do still think this is shitty, it's just shitty in a way that everyone realized - or should have realized - before the game even hit store shelves.

I bought Destiny 2 and played several hours of it. I mean, I enjoyed playing it, but every time I closed it and went to do something else, I felt really empty. Like, "why did I just spend an hour and a half on that game?" It's not that I can't remember anything that happened, it's that absolutely nothing felt like it had any consequence whatsoever. It all looked pretty and played well and such but, eh, whatever.

I'm not their target audience, though, as I rarely spend more money on a game after purchasing it. When I do buy something for a game after the initial purchase, it's a meaningful expansion to the game (like the Artorias DLC in Dark Souls, Dragonborn in Skyrim) and not just some frivolous microtransaction or a fucking lootbox.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Cohesive monetization experience" sounds like satire. Jesus, I wish it was.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

The timing of this job listing is something they will never be able to shrug off. Bungie used to be known for Halo and the consistently good experience that series has provided. Now they are getting known for draining as much money from starving fans. Whether it is the full story or not, it is a bad look they shouldn't want to obtain.

I love me some Destiny and I think pretty much regardless of what happens, I will look back on Destiny 2 with joy as I am enjoying it a great deal despite shortcomings. But it is a little baffling to see the narrative around Bungie change this much. People have started digging up old statements they made about communication, monetization and progression; long story short, they have promised a lot over the years and delivered on none of that. Not only that, they actively do the opposite.

Bungie will be fine. It is a studio that creates games people want to play, no matter what happens. But as far as community reception goes, they have begun digging their own grave. They will undoubtedly still make good games and turn a profit going forward, but you'll never see a passionate playerbase behind it anymore I fear.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By Hestilllives19

Sad thing is, this isn't even the biggest controversy of the day. All night Microsoft/Sony/Amazon etc have been handing out refunds for Destiny 2 because Curse of Osiris made it to where players who haven't purchased Curse can no longer obtain the Platinum Trophy for the base game because they can't complete 1 and likely 2 of the needed Trophies as it currently stands, The Prestige (Prestige activities now require 330 Power Level, whereas the non-DLC game is limited to Power Level 300) and Lest Ye Be Judged (Trials will likely be moved to DLC only as it always has been, especially if they plan to add to the DLC maps to rotation). This is a huge no no, and legitimate grounds for a refund. Microsoft has stopped giving out refunds in the last hour on request from Bungie, and all complaints for refunds are being directed straight to Bungie. I'm assuming a patch will be coming out ASAP to adjust base Power Levels for non-Curse owners to be able to obtain 330 Power Level without Curse of Osiris.

First talked about with an SGA on Reddit 19 hours ago. https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/7i1l2n/you_can_get_sonyms_to_refund_your_purchase_thanks/

Newest info about Microsoft stopping Refunds. https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/7i5qet/microsoft_support_is_currently_gathering_all_the/

This story, even before all of the refunds was being picked up by the major media outlets already. I assume we will get updates to a lot of these.

https://kotaku.com/high-level-destiny-2-activities-are-now-locked-behind-d-1821058051

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/12/07/destiny-2-some-endgame-content-now-dlc-locked

Jim Sterling is having a field day with Destiny 2 lately.

I thought this was interesting as well, and ties in well with this thread. They are getting bad press around similar issues with Eververse and how pervasive it has become and how that philosophy is ruining Destiny, something I'm starting to not totally disagree with since almost all of these cool "Eververse" items were in Destiny 1 as loot drops for End Game Activities like Raids. Bungie is getting far too close to that slipperly slope on Eververse. If Exotic Sparrows and Ships still dropped from End Game activities and these were supplemental, I'd be completely fine with it. But it does seem more and more than those type of items have been removed from the game just to add them to Eververse. https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2017/12/07/curse-of-osiris-eververse-and-bright-engrams-feel-like-theyre-slowly-breaking-destiny-2/#167e02ec78b4

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

Destiny 2 is the Xbox One of video games.

All they had to do was add features, value, and content. Instead they made changes that nobody asked for, took away features and game modes that were found in the first game, and refused to listen to anyone who disagreed with them.

The only thing missing is for some Bungie rep to say "If you want 6 vs 6 crucible we have a product for you. It's called Destiny 1."

The Xbox One eventually became a great gaming console, but I'm not sure if the same will ever be true of Destiny 2 becoming a great game. Destiny 1 captured my interest for two years. Destiny 2 couldn't even make it to two months. Even if they do improve things, with the whole deceitful XP system and then lowering the XP you were given after "fixing" the issue makes me not want to even bother picking up the game again.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Brackstone

Sad thing is, this isn't even the biggest controversy of the day. All night Microsoft/Sony/Amazon etc have been handing out refunds for Destiny 2 because Curse of Osiris made it to where players who haven't purchased Curse can no longer obtain the Platinum Trophy for the base game because they can't complete 1 and likely 2 of the needed Trophies as it currently stands, The Prestige (Prestige activities now require 330 Power Level, whereas the non-DLC game is limited to Power Level 300) and Lest Ye Be Judged (Trials will likely be moved to DLC only as it always has been, especially if they plan to add to the DLC maps to rotation). This is a huge no no, and legitimate grounds for a refund. Microsoft has stopped giving out refunds in the last hour on request from Bungie, and all complaints for refunds are being directed straight to Bungie. I'm assuming a patch will be coming out ASAP to adjust base Power Levels for non-Curse owners to be able to obtain 330 Power Level without Curse of Osiris.

First talked about with an SGA on Reddit 19 hours ago. https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/7i1l2n/you_can_get_sonyms_to_refund_your_purchase_thanks/

Newest info about Microsoft stopping Refunds. https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/7i5qet/microsoft_support_is_currently_gathering_all_the/

Like everything else Bungie has been doing, this is something they'll say was a mistake or oversight, but was totally intentional. How they thought they could get away with this given how peachy their public image has been lately is beyond me.

Between this and Battlefront 2, it astounds me that such large, rich companies full of intelligent people can repeatedly make such utterly stupid moves.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

@torrim said:

Twist: Who gets the job is decided by loot box

I laughed at this. Well played, duder.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By OurSin_360

Hiring someone to make their games better is a bad thing? Seems like they acknowledge their design flaws and are looking for new talent to help, sounds good to me? Maybe they fired whoever green lit that hidden xp throttle.

icecoldfreezie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By icecoldfreezie

This seems like a good thing though. That stuff is already in the game and people have a ton of complaints, this seems like an attempt to hire a person to bring in a solid vision and rework it. I mean who gets mad at goals like "Work with the live team to make a better product", "Maximize player satisfaction", "Create sustainable player progression", and "Define a cohesive monetization experience"? All of these bullet points are things they NEED to be looking at if y'all want this system to get any better.

They're obviously not ditching the Eververse, so what do you people realistically want here? What is the benefit of not hiring a progression designer when that stuff is 100% going to remain in the game?

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

Bungie has been disconnected from the player base the second most of the people who made Bungie what Bungie is left in the middle of Destiny's production. This isn't a bad move by any stretch but I've long given up on thinking Bungie will ever get back to being one of my favorite developers again. Bungie gets so many passes when it comes to Destiny related crap its hilarious. Even when people get "really mad" they aren't mad at all. Like I've said before, for every step forward they've made they make 2 steps sideways and 2 steps backward.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360 said:

Hiring someone to make their games better is a bad thing? Seems like they acknowledge their design flaws and are looking for new talent to help, sounds good to me? Maybe they fired whoever green lit that hidden xp throttle.

The very first responsibility listed for the position as Senior Progression Designer by Bungie being "Create sustainable player progression (...) through Destiny 2’s Bright Engram" aka loot boxes.

I don't see that making the game better in any way but actually the polar opposite but of course you are entitled to your own opinion.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a shame. I love Destiny and Destiny 2 but Bungie/Activision just doesn't get it. They don't understand the backlash and they don't understand why their decisions are bad for their product.

Memu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These big companies with their loot box systems are proving the age old saying, "You cannot make someone understand something if their paycheck depends on them not understanding it." They want every game they make to pay them continuously like an MMO, but without putting the continuous resources into it to actually make an MMO. Having not been able to figure out how to do that they are reaching out for the answer.

flakmunkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By flakmunkey

Incentivizing people to level up their character (play/spend more) via a progression system that provides rewards (like loot boxes) for doing said progression is not an inherently bad thing, they just did it poorly. I get it, people get pissy about loot box mechanics in paid games but thats not going to stop, nor is it a bad thing. This is like saying democracy is bullshit because you don't like the current administration, it's a huge misplacement of blame. I think this is a great idea. Bungie has never made games like destiny until destiny, and they keep failing because they don't quite understand the mechanics they are working with. Anyone who bothered to look at their open design jobs can see that they are hiring a number of designers that cover a lot of the real issues that exist in D2 outside of its completely benign and unintrusive loot box mechanics. The absolute best thing they can do right now IMO is hire top talent that specializes in the types of things they are trying to do. Instead of having the same systems designers that are building levels and tuning the shooting model also try to build leveling progression that reinforces their monetization goals, hire some professionals with experience in these types of game economies develop a system that works within the D2 framework instead of being the guesswork that it clearly is today. And to anyone who's main issue with this is that "premium" games shouldn't try to continue to monetize after the $60 sale, I'm sorry, I don't know what to do for you. That is an entirely unreasonable expectation in the current market.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

It's a shame. I love Destiny and Destiny 2 but Bungie/Activision just doesn't get it. They don't understand the backlash and they don't understand why their decisions are bad for their product.

They do understand it. They put out a 45-minute podcast to address community concerns a week ago. They could articulate better what the community found lacking than the community does themselves. They fully understand. It seems they just don't really care enough.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360 said:

The very first responsibility listed for the position as Senior Progression Designer by Bungie being "Create sustainable player progression (...) through Destiny 2’s Bright Engram" aka loot boxes.

I don't see that making the game better in any way but actually the polar opposite but of course you are entitled to your own opinion.

ah, i haven't played 2 so i don't really know what that is lol. I get what you mean now.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By pyrodactyl

@zevvion said:
    @devilzrule27 said:

They do understand it. They put out a 45-minute podcast to address community concerns a week ago. They could articulate better what the community found lacking than the community does themselves. They fully understand. It seems they just don't really care enough.

Remember 2 years ago when Luke Smith could point out, and speak to, exactly what was wrong with the game? I sure can. Doesn't mean they addressed most of it. In some ways the game is worse than it ever was. What makes you think it's not just talk this time? Beyond the empty words, the push for evermore microtransactions at the expanse of everything else is the only trend that clearly emerged over the last 2 years. Not a push for more gameplay variety, an expansion on the strengths of Destiny 1 PvP or anything fans can get excited about. No, they seemingly spent the last 2 years making cutscenes and loot boxes instead of making the game better. I would be shocked if they could turn this ship around at this point.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
    BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It's amusing that they're hiring a "progression designer" at this point.

VeggiesBro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:
    @devilzrule27 said:

Just wanted to say - they should have totally released that podcast this week after the DLC launched. While it was bad before, I feel like it has only gained momentum this week especially with the negative news around locked content, the Eververse stuff and of course the lack of actual content in the DLC itself. The podcast was probably done in an attempt to increase sales of course but we have no new communication from Bungie on these items, and I am not sure we will ever get it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Incentivizing people to level up their character (play/spend more) via a progression system that provides rewards (like loot boxes) for doing said progression is not an inherently bad thing, they just did it poorly.

This is not how the job description is phrased. Giving out loot boxes as incentive to players that keep playing at max level is one thing - loot box based player progression something totally different.

This is like saying democracy is bullshit because you don't like the current administration, it's a huge misplacement of blame.

Wait what?!?

Bungie has never made games like destiny until destiny, and they keep failing because they don't quite understand the mechanics they are working with.

They did Destiny before Destiny 2 and apparently learned little from the mistakes the previous entry had. I understood Destiny 1 being limited by the tech and significant changes rather late in the development process didn't help as well.

However in Destiny 2 they removed the mindless grind at max level Destiny was infamous for but had nothing to replace it with.

On multiple occasions they stated Destiny 2 is not meant to be a game to be constantly played but picked up now and then once new (payed) DLC content gets added. Now they do a full 180 and want to change it to be worth playing constantly.

This just shows they don't have a scope for the game. Every other developer desperately want to create a game that people keep on playing to allow an ongoing revenue stream. Destiny fans wanted Destiny 2 to be exactly that a game as a service.

It's mind blowing Bungie didn't cash in on that designing Destiny 2 accordingly.

And to anyone who's main issue with this is that "premium" games shouldn't try to continue to monetize after the $60 sale, I'm sorry, I don't know what to do for you. That is an entirely unreasonable expectation in the current market.

If you need loot boxes in the successor to a full price game that - to take another prominent example - sold 14 million copies (Battlefront) to be profitable, stop making games.

This is not about making money, it's about maximizing profits to please shareholders. This in itself isn't something bad, it's business and games are just that a branch of the entertainment industry.

Personally you can charge me for 2 out of 3: The base game, DLC or microtransactions for cosmetics.

Destiny 2 tries to charge you for all these (plus added bonus of loot box gambling instead of straight forward microtransactions - also don't even let me start on the lack of content Curse of Osiris adds for the price tag of 20 €).

They crave for that constant revenue stream in a game which at its current state they expect players to pick up and play on occasion only.

It its current form the game design is in stark contrast to the monetization strategy.

If Bungie really wants to make this a game to be played over a longer period and need ways to make money all the time to justify ongoing development, be transparent on it and don't reach out to the community only ahead of the launch of a given DLC to increase interest just to go back to complete silence mode once it launched.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#27  Edited By Hestilllives19

@wolfstein_3d: I agree with a lot of what you are saying, especially in regards to how Bungie decided to push this weird notion that players needed to play Destiny 2 for 100 hours, then put the game down and come back later for the DLC. I think it's extremely funny that they are just now realizing that if they allow players, and actually actively create systems that encourage players, to put the game down at a certain point, many of those players will just not return and purchase DLC. That seems like such a no brainer to me, I don't know how any intelligent person thought that was a valid strategy. Don't get me wrong, I have no issues with the ease of use features they implemented with Destiny 2, but the fact that they actively took away any sort of... let's call it Post End Game progression, was a really stupid move.

Here is where I disagree. I don't have any problem with companies charging for a base game, DLC, and microtransactions for cosmetics (as long as it's done resonably). Destiny 1 always straddled the line of being solid Cosmetics players wanted, mostly reasonable implementation, and just barely away from danger zones of microtransactions. Here are my issues with Destiny 2's Eververse: No ability to actually purchase items for a specific amount of real currency (it's hidden behind a 2 layer system of Buy Silver, turn Silver to Bright Dust by buying Bright Engrams and maybe get Dust or destroy items you get, then buy the items of the week for extremely high Dust prices) and it seems like End Game activity cosmetic rewards have been removed so that they can add more items to Eververse every Season. In Destiny 1, for most of Eververse's lifetime, Emotes (the primary item in Eververse at the time) were sold for a specific amount of Silver (200/$2 for Rare Emotes or 500/$5 for the fancier Legendary Emotes). With Destiny 2 removing this ability, it's now only possibly to obtain these Emotes via Bright Engram loot boxes. Due to some changes they started with Destiny 1, of giving out 3 free Weekly loot boxes, at least for me, this is the lesser of the two issues at hand though. One of the great changes Destiny 2 has made is that for the first 3 Levels each week, you obtain XP 3x faster, thus obtaining your first 3 Bright Engrams rather quickly (about an hour or so of gameplay each week). After that you can more or less count on obtaining Bright Engrams at a rate of about 1 per hour through normal gameplay. Considering the price of Bright Engrams, 200 Silver for 1 BE or 500 Silver for 3 BE's or 800 Silver for 5 BE's (keep in mind Silver is 100 for every $1, with bonus Silver for more purchased at a time, for $50 you get 800 bonus Silver, best value... haha), if you buy 1 set of 5 BE's each week you are spending $8 to negate only 6 hours of gameplay for those same Cosmetics. Personally, I think that's a ridiculous waste of money, and haven't spent a dime on Eververse for D2, but some people do, and to each his own. My biggest issue comes from the trend that Bungie has stripped bare the rewards for completing activities within the game that were always present, like Sparrow, Ships, and Ghosts from Leviathan, especially Prestige, where things like this would have been an actual incentive for players to complete said activities (something Prestige Leviathan was sorely lacking).

TLDR: To summarize, I don't have an inherent issue with the fact that Eververse exists and Bungie sells microtransactions. I think the Emotes add a unique flavor to Destiny that honestly just gives it so much more personality. I do however wish items were able to be purchased for a specific $ amount in Silver so random loot boxes were the only viable way to obtain a specific item. Also, and most importantly, I am upset at this trend with Eververse due to the fact that Destiny content is being removed so that they can develop more items to put into Eververse. This is not good for the game. Chasing Raid, Trials, and other End Game cosmetics you were able to earn via Gameplay was a very special part of Destiny 1, and Eververse swallowing that up isn't healthy for the game at all. It all goes back to that discouragement of Post End Game progression we talked about at first, and Destiny 2's sore lack thereof.

Neurogia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Neurogia

This explains why there's no real design to the game's progression.

It sounds more like a massive cry for help for someone to come along and save the game, though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.