Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Sep 09, 2014

Shoot your way across the solar system to level up and collect new loot in this multiplayer-focused first-person shooter from Bungie and Activision.

Do you care about the story in Destiny?

• 58 results
    fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

Poll Do you care about the story in Destiny? (315 votes)

Yes, I'm watching all cutscenes and talking to NPCs 16%
    Mostly, I just watch the cutscenes 17%
    Sort of, I'm half paying attention 35%
    Not really, I'm in the menus during cutscenes 10%
    Not at all, I wish I could skip everything 20%

Are you into the story of Destiny? Are you even paying attention?

• 
    probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By probablytuna

Wait you can talk to NPCs?

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I heard somewhere that you can to get a little more juice outta the story... Maybe I shoulda confirmed that it was true first =P

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#3 rmanthorp  Moderator

I wish I could - but I feel like the game doesn't let me... :/ I really hope there is some kind of satisfying 'ending' as the latest bombcast talk has me worried.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@probablytuna said:

I heard somewhere that you can to get a little more juice outta the story... Maybe I shoulda confirmed that it was true first =P

I mean, it could be true, but everyone I've talked to so far has just sold me stuff or given me messages/bounties.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#5 riostarwind  Moderator

Kinda although they don't really seem to give much context to what's going on early on. I'm hoping it's a bit more than blah blah darkness blah blah.

tgammet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I want a full story. I don't buy games without stories at full price.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Where is the choice, "I'd like to care, I'm watching and asking all teh NPCs, but the story is not really showing up".

We should not blame the victims if they cannot find the story or the wherewithal to care about what little trickles down to them.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I like the story, and I've quite enjoyed the cutscenes. I think a lot of the story could be delivered better and from a wider variety of interesting characters, though.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I certainly would, because I think the vistas and the world are evocative enough. But I don't. That hasn't been a significant detriment to my experience with the game (which I'm actually enjoying quite a bit), but it does feel like a missed opportunity.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

It's so plain and boring right now. Go save the universe. There is evil out there. Uh huh. Maybe it turns up soon. I don't really care honestly, but a neat story would be nice.

Vanick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I really want to but so far the game is doing a pretty poor job of telling one.

kadaju86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wish I could, but feel as though the story completely fell through when I, as an Awoken character, went to the Awoken home and both my own dialogue and that of the Awoken there seemed to recognise me as a normal human character rather than Awoken :P Never mind that I have the same skin and eyes as they have, every bit of dialogue was just me telling them I was from earth and them being annoyed at me "trespassing" on their home.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. I'm playing it to put some holes in some fools.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What story? I'm glad i'm not the only one in the menu during cutscenes lol

Tomorrowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought Destiny to be a loot shoot. I'm a satisfied customer. Sometimes Peter dinklage tells me there might be better loot on another planet so I go to the other planet and shoot.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

im interested in the world of destiny, but like the "plot" of this first game, so far (im on venus) is a mess. and thats shocking and disappointing to me since the halo series had some of the best stories in a fps imo.

Still enjoying the game though, but i fully expect the reviews to slaughter the game, aand i hope bungie takes on some of the criticism and addresses it for the first expansion.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

im interested in the world of destiny, but like the "plot" of this first game, so far (im on venus) is a mess. and thats shocking and disappointing to me since the halo series had some of the best stories in a fps imo.

Still enjoying the game though, but i fully expect the reviews to slaughter the game, aand i hope bungie takes on some of the criticism and addresses it for the first expansion.

I too am interested in what the reviews are going to be like. More to see how Bungie reacts. I don't really but a lot of stock in scores, but they will have to. They have already been getting out in front of the negative ones, which seems a bit of a bizarre thing to do before any reviews are even out. IF the reviews are positive, great, but I wonder about their reaction to negativity.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm interested in the world they have here and really wish there was more of it.

So I..guess so?

Ford_Dent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kadaju86 said:

Wish I could, but feel as though the story completely fell through when I, as an Awoken character, went to the Awoken home and both my own dialogue and that of the Awoken there seemed to recognise me as a normal human character rather than Awoken :P Never mind that I have the same skin and eyes as they have, every bit of dialogue was just me telling them I was from earth and them being annoyed at me "trespassing" on their home.

Yeah I feel like they didn't record different dialog for the different races, which is a bizarre fucking decision to make.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

There's a story in this game? I really enjoy the gameplay, but when it comes to the story they never explain shit. What is up with the Traveler? who knows! why is it here? beats me! who are we fighting? the darkness! who are they and what do they want? just shut up because your the light! blah blah blah. Also here is some random info from this pamphlet i found about this place you are shooting through!

drainbamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess I'd say I wanted to care about the story, but so far that aspect of the game has been a bummer. It's super serious while also being real cheesy, which isn't a great combo. I really like the gameplay and that's keeping me going so far, but the story and some of the decisions they made with social stuff (lack of ways to interact, clan features being only available on their website, etc etc) seem really dumb.

@fobwashed said:

@probablytuna said:

I mean, it could be true, but everyone I've talked to so far has just sold me stuff or given me messages/bounties.

Yeahhhh, I really expected to get some kind of side stories/lore from the NPCs in the tower. There seem to be a bunch of different factions and stuff, but the NPCs don't seem to want to tell you anything about themselves or those factions lol. It feels like the "important" NPCs are missing a "sooooo, whats your deal?" or "whats your faction about?" button to at least attempt to get you into the world.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kadaju86 said:

I think there is a big difference between the awoken who live in the reef and those born in the city. The reef folk probably look down on an earthborn awoken the same way they do a human.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It has potential. It really does. Unfortunately almost all of the actual interesting bits are being told through the Grimoire, which is a completely separate thing that you can't even access in-game. Right now, the story you get is basically "go fight THE DARKNESS" in different locales. Its a bit disappointing but I guess Bungie is expecting you to fill in the blanks with your own experiences.

kadaju86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kadaju86 said:

Yeah I feel like they didn't record different dialog for the different races, which is a bizarre fucking decision to make.

Indeed.... Wouldn't really matter all that much if it hadn't been as specific as this example really. Just feels weird playing as a race just to have other members of the race seemingly not noticing I am one of them. If they could have explained why they act like that it would have kinda been okay, but, again, it just happens out of nowhere.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It feels like Bungie made this game they thought was going to totally blow everyone away, and only after the game neared completion did someone say, "you know we're just making Borderlands, right?" I mean, I know they in actuality weren't oblivious to Borderlands, but perhaps their past successes with Halo have caused them to have a little too much pride and confidence in themselves.

I haven't even played the game, though, so what do I know.

kadaju86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kadaju86 said:

I think there is a big difference between the awoken who live in the reef and those born in the city. The reef folk probably look down on an earthborn awoken the same way they do a human.

That was kind of what I was thinking after seeing that cutscene too, but as far as I know it hasn't been explained as such anywhere else before that.... Maybe as part of the grimoire? But, can't really expect most people will go through all those tiny little bits of lore just to find out something like that...

Elwoodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Elwoodan

It feels like a sequel to a long running series or something, there is so much terminology being thrown about with 0 context given beyond 'guardian good, darkness bad' and while I'm sure the grimoire has all sorts of background info for some unfathomable reason its not accessible in game. I want to like the story but it seems so obfuscated (and not in a good way, like dark souls).

Also, the exo have totally normal human voices and it freaks me out.

Homeslice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gameplay's great, it's awfully pretty, the in-game music fits it well, and there's enough of a skeleton to the story for me to fill in the blanks.

Specifically regarding the story, I think it's a nice change of pace to not have so many answers spoon-fed to me.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

If I was resurrected and told to save the world by a floating Portal cube, I'd demand answers. The game doesn't give me answers in a way I feel it should. This game has no personality to it. It has nothing resembling human thought or interaction.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By Dussck

I care as much about the story as I did in Halo and that's pretty close to 0%. When the ghost starts talking I just think "ye ye, just do your thing, let the enemies spawn". It's probably also due to the fact I'm playing the whole game co-op with 2 friends, who are chatting all over it :)

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

at some point I keep expecting it turn into Mass Effect part 1, but that's a lore I LOVE to dive into.

laika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm finding it really hard to care about the story. I appreciate that it's difficult to tell a compelling story in an MMO/mission-based setting, but it just seems bad regardless. Peter Dinklage not giving a crap doesn't help, either.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By laserbolts

What story?

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

i'm fairly certain they just pulled a Mad Libs on an old Halo script and inserted generic video game names for all the characters and important names. It's disappointing, but I wasn't into Halo for its story either, so... eh.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

Are we sure there is a story in Destiny?

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I need an option for the poll that is "I really wanted to get very into the story of Destiny, but the game itself has very little story and what it does have is so cryptic and mumbo-jumboy that I could not tell you what is really happening at any given time. Also, I have only have like 2 cutscenes so far and none of the NPCs at the Tower have any real, meaningful dialogue so I guess I don't care."

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@monkeyking1969 said:

Where is the choice, "I'd like to care, I'm watching and asking all teh NPCs, but the story is not really showing up".

We should not blame the victims if they cannot find the story or the wherewithal to care about what little trickles down to them.

My thoughts exactly, well said.

Also, I refuse to read the grimoire cards until they put them in the damn game. Mass Effect solved this problem by just having an codex option in the menu and that was 7 years ago - don't make me do homework on your video game just so I can understand 1/10th of what is going on.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kadaju86 said:
    @devil240z said:

@kadaju86 said:

That was kind of what I was thinking after seeing that cutscene too, but as far as I know it hasn't been explained as such anywhere else before that.... Maybe as part of the grimoire? But, can't really expect most people will go through all those tiny little bits of lore just to find out something like that...

Well what seems like 99% of the lore in this game is locked into that grimoire thing. So its probably in there some where. Along with why there are skeletons on the moon. A corpse would never rot on the moon.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Rebel_Scum

Where's the option for "I would, if Bungie told good stories"

or "Dunno, haven't played and want to see poll results"

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Generally, when it comes to first-person shooters, I only marginally follow the stories. Furthermore, I forget most of what's going on as soon as I am done. For example:

1. Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare. Something about a Russian terrorist then a bomb blows up. I think there was a knife fight at the end, but I could be thinking of MW3.
    2. Halo series. Covenant wants to use the rings to blow up the galaxy, a giant plant shows up, and you race in a warthog to reach an escape ship at the end.
    3. Borderlands / Borderlands 2. Go to Pandora, crazy lady wants you to find a key, evil corporation wants the vault loot / return to Pandora, evil corp dude tries to kill you, gather the band, brother-sister, etc...

I won't be playing Destiny until the weekend (no time, work), but I'm not expecting any more than what I got out of other similar shooters. Move from kill-box to kill-box then get a reward. RPG's are where I look for story, not FPS's.

chobobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By chobobot

I think the issue is developers don't try to make an effort to create engaging stories for FPS. Look at Half-Life and for the more recent one Wolfenstein, both have solid stories which are engaging and people can at least understand.

Developers do not have to go to serious lengths to create lore for a game, they just have to ensure its interesting, engaging, has depth and most importantly is understandable.

Nezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@chobobot said:

I think the issue is developers don't try to make an effort to create engaging stories for FPS. Look at Half-Life and for the more recent one Wolfenstein, both have solid stories which are engaging and people can at least understand.

Developers do not have to go to serious lengths to create lore for a game, they just have to ensure its interesting, engaging, has depth and most importantly is understandable.

As someone really not into FPS', I had zero interest in Wolfenstein until I watched the quick look and saw the interaction in the hub areas and a surprisingly engaging storyline. I was hoping for more of the same here.

That Destiny, a game that is heavily lent to an MMO and the expectation of their associated trappings, does not have the same sense of immersion is my biggest disappointment in what is otherwise an enjoyable experience.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are we sure there is a story in Destiny?

Having finished the game I will say that this is the question the OP should be asking.

chobobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nezza: Yep, I also didn't expect much from Wolfenstein's story either, I expected it to have a Duke Nukem feel to it but it was surprisingly good and the pace of the story was also good.

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#45  Edited By extintor

The game is thoroughly enjoyable to play with friends and has incredible gameplay and artistic polish.

The in-game story element is nearly non-existent. What little there is, we find only on the bungie website. There is even less in-game story exposition than Titanfall, which was relatively threadbare in terms of story itself. At least Titanfall had always been branded as a pure multiplayer release and so expectations were set accordingly. The messaging with Destiny has been much more vague and that is why so many people (myself included) are feeling disappointed. This isn't 'gamer entitlement' in my opinion.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's nuts how lame the story is. Fucking ridiculous. That moon sword thing seemed cool. It could have so easily been cool. A legendary weapon that destroyed countless guardians? Its owner sleeping, the sword buried underground? Protected by a series of princes? This is all story stuff that should be easy to translate. But no, what do you do? Kill a dude with yellow health, go underground, find the sword fucking sitting on the ground, pick it up I guess because it's literally just a sword?, kill everyone with it, and then it leaves your inventory because that's how you destroy one of the most deadly weapons in the history of Destiny's universe. Yay! Good work, let's go back to your dumb ship. There's a story there, but Bungie willfully ignores it in favor of being boring as shit.

And yet I can't wait to jump back in and play more.

This is one of the most fascinating games I've ever played.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

The story in destiny is an empty dry fart.

Not even a wet fart, as that has potential consequences.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I don't really care about the story. I like that there is one and I try to follow it as much as possible but I don't really consider this a story driven game.

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Destiny is one of those games that doesn't need a story. The story in Destiny just holds it back.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea35e2382c82
    deactivated-5ea35e2382c82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't really mind the story until getting into the level 20 stuff, going back and having a bunch of unskippable mid-mission cutscenes while replaying a level and dialogue that can't be muted separate from normal game sounds are making it a nuisance. It's at the point where I leave my TV on mute so I can listen to a podcast or video in the background and it sucks to not get any of the audio feedback from enemies and weapons as a result.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.