Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Aug 23, 2011

Human Revolution is the third game in the Deus Ex series, a prequel where players take control of augmented security officer Adam Jensen, and investigate attacks against Sarif Industries, a leader in augmentation technology.

Deus Ex: HR - Demo overview (no spoilers)

• 78 results
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#51  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @mfpantst said:
    No iron sights unless you have a scope  
    Not sure what you mean by that.
    You can use iron sights on all guns regardless of scope. Check your keybindings?

Also glad you are enjoying it :)
    mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By mfpantst
    @Tennmuerti: hmmm maybe I haven't checked.  I figured since they use the right mouse for cover mode they did away with iron sights.  i'll check it out but don't expect me to use it much!
    Theresonlyone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By Theresonlyone

I watched all 15 parts before they took youtube clips down, I'm much more excited for this game than I was before. I just hope they fix the worse-than-MGS2 AI that the enemies showed; in one instance he blew open a wall and a bad guy standing just the other side, another down the hall and one more round the corner didn't notice and another situation where he tranquilized one guy then another found him and got tranqed etc.

Also makes me really, really want to go play 1 again. Stupid iMac...

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Theresonlyone said:

I watched all 15 parts before they took youtube clips down, I'm much more excited for this game than I was before. I just hope they fix the worse-than-MGS2 AI that the enemies showed; in one instance he blew open a wall and a bad guy standing just the other side, another down the hall and one more round the corner didn't notice and another situation where he tranquilized one guy then another found him and got tranqed etc.

Also makes me really, really want to go play 1 again. Stupid iMac...

In my experience breaking the walls alerts any nearby guards upto a certain range.

But yea you can make piles of dead/tranqued guys when they run to check on their buddies. I was laughting my ass off making a pile of sleeping dudes in Derelict Row.
    Downside is ofcourse you loose the very significant bonuses for never beeing seen or never raising an alarm.
    Also it's a bit risky since you have to reload the tranq gun after every shot, so if dudes start piling in you pretty much need to hit with every shot or they start waking each other up.
    RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#55  Edited By RichardLOlson

I'm so ready for this game.  Looks really good.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Tennmuerti

I might be addicted.
    Going through it for the third time this time on the hardest difficulty.

Key differences:

1. you die way faster (duh)
    2. interactive objects are not highlighted, so if you are a Deus Ex purist and dislike the ferature, this is the way to go
    3. throwing shit around will not just attract enemies but will couse an alerted state
    Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#57  Edited By Zurv

i too played the "demo" - hrmm... combat is so bad. It very much is alpha protocol cyber punk sytle (as the OP pointed out).

But, even with the shitty combat i (realy) liked alpha protocol. (combat is worse thanAP). It feels like it has a lot of Japanese style game play added to it. ie, pointless scene cuts and style over substance. Environment looks great. people and weapons don't. Story was... getting paranoid verging on retarted (Japanese touch?)

If this wasn't deus ex i wouldn't get this or have preordered it. It won't be a great game but it will be fine. something good to kick back and play on my 63" HDTV with a 360 controller. It also supports ATI's HD3D so i can play it in 3d till I get a headache. (the 3d works in the "demo" too).

blah blah :)

I can live with the crappy combat is the story/feel/experience speaks to me... and so far it does - for whatever reason. (it didn't finisht he demo as i wanted to save myself for the full game).

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Zurv said:

i too played the "demo" - hrmm... combat is so bad. It very much is alpha protocol cyber punk sytle (as the OP pointed out).

Can you elaborate what you didn't like about the combat? Everything seemed to function properly. I pointed guns at people, shot and they died. Cover works, enemies try to flank you, etc...

@Zurv said:

Story was... getting paranoid verging on retarted (Japanese touch?)

The original Deus Ex story is exactly that. Super conspiracy theorist and very paranoid. If anything it's tamer in Human Revolution.

The demo cut-scenes are indeed out of place, especially considering that they look very low quality compared to in-game graphics.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By EuanDewar

Might have a look at this now if its still up somewhere. Haven't exactly been hot on this game after the gameplay videos but maybe a playthrough of the demo will change my mind.

Scotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#60  Edited By Scotto

Can someone give me a good link for where to find the demo? I'm trying to figure out if I want to pre-order, or wait until the reviews start rolling in.

Huge fan of the first game, but some of the less-than-enthusiastic comments coming from journalists has me really worried. I've loved all of the trailers, the black and gold aesthetic, the music, and the conspiracy theory plot - but I'd still like the game to be competent mechanically too.

- Scott

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#62  Edited By eroticfishcake

I've just remembered something. Anyone ever got the silencer for the pistol in the Beta leak? It's probably the most satisfying sound effect I've heard for a silencer in a long time. Yeah I know it's a small detail but I love those kinds of details.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Simmse said:

I refuse to read the rest of this because i just got up to the phrase "mixed bag" and it was used in a serious manner.

Shoo, little troll.

@eroticfishcake said:

I've just remembered something. Anyone ever got the silencer for the pistol in the Beta leak? It's probably the most satisfying sound effect I've heard for a silencer in a long time. Yeah I know it's a small detail but I love those kinds of details.

Yea you can put the silencer on the assault rifle too.

archer88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#64  Edited By archer88

I've been playing it as well (I also have it preordered) and when it comes to dealing with the "bad dude" and the hostage, I gave him a quick burst in the gut with the machine pistol and then punched him out. The burst breaks the hostage killing animation giving you a window to take him down. It was a great moment when I realized that fighting him didn't mean the hostage had to die and that my options really were that diverse.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Archer88 said:

I've been playing it as well (I also have it preordered) and when it comes to dealing with the "bad dude" and the hostage, I gave him a quick burst in the gut with the machine pistol and then punched him out. The burst breaks the hostage killing animation giving you a window to take him down. It was a great moment when I realized that fighting him didn't mean the hostage had to die and that my options really were that diverse.

Yeah, I managed to do it on the second playthrough using the stun gun.

Major_Lag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Major_Lag

Thanks for answering my specs question a while back. One other has occurred to me - can you tell whether the PC version supports Xbox360-style USB controllers, or just mouse & keyboard? I know M&K is the 'proper' way to play PC games, but controllers help to keep my RSI in check...

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#67  Edited By Zurv

Works fine with the 360.. it is better with the keyboard/mouse. There are games where the 360 is better.. batman, alpha protocol... some that are on par with keyboard/mouse... fallout, borderlands...

this is a little subpart vs the keyboard mouse.. but i might play it with the 360. 360 == 63" TV :) (and 3d.. till i get a headache)

When using the 360 it will give 360 controller prompts for key presses instead of keyboard commands.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Major_Lag: Yes there is support for gamepad. My 360 controller worked fine in the demo.

@Zurv: I found the default K+M scheme to be a bit clunky. Namely the ironsight/zoom binding and the stick to cover bind. So I rearranged them a bit and changed some sticky/toggle stuff too. Made sneaking around (and darting dudes) much less awkward.

Major_Lag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Major_Lag

Awesome - thanks for the info. =]

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Dude, thank you so much.

I was desperate for this game about a year ago, and then the more I saw (admittedly little) I became less enthusiastic.

With all the praise surrounding the leaked build, and your write-up here, I'm now fully on-board (of course, I've had it pre-ordered on Steam for a while now, anyway).

The pictures are the main draw. Looks damn like I'd imagine a current gen Deus Ex to look.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#71  Edited By Ravenlight

How did you guys take down the "boss" at the end? Is it possible to win through nonlethal means? 

I managed to get the boss in a stun lock cycle inside a gas grenade cloud by repeated tasering. The cutscene after that acted as if I had killed it through more extreme means.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Ravenlight said:

How did you guys take down the "boss" at the end? Is it possible to win through nonlethal means? I managed to get the boss in a stun lock cycle inside a gas grenade cloud by repeated tasering. The cutscene after that acted as if I had killed it through more extreme means.

Bosses always fight to the end from my understanding since some minimal consistency is necessary to keep the story on a common track (whether they all die or not we obviously can't say yet). That's why it's done in a cutscene and he basically kills himself. The achievement list kind of reflects that since there is an achievement for finishing the game without killing anyone with exception of bosses.

Similarly to the couple of bosses in the original Deus Ex (unless you used exploits)

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#73  Edited By atejas

Cool beans. Most of the problems sound like they should be ironed out by release or in the first round of patching, and I've already gotten a distinct impression that Eidos Montreal actually gives a shit about the community's response to this game.

@Tennmuerti said:

Similarly to the couple of bosses in the original Deus Ex (unless you used exploits)

Well, the killwords still killed the bosses, but it was a damn sight less violent than shooting/stabbing/powerstabbing/incinerating/exploding them.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Tennmuerti

@atejas said:

@Tennmuerti said:

Well, the killwords still killed the bosses, but it was a damn sight less violent than shooting/stabbing/powerstabbing/incinerating/exploding them.

Well we never know, maybe we will get to use a killword against one of the other bosses in Human Revolution too? It would be neat if we get to do that I'll admit.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Ravenlight
    @atejas said:

"I am not a machine!" *BOOM*
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By valrog
    @Tennmuerti: When you drag a body, is Jensen still holding the gun with both hands? Whoever thought that this was a good idea should be shot.
    Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Ravenlight
    @valrog said:
    @Tennmuerti: When you drag a body, is Jensen still holding the gun with both hands? Whoever thought that this was a good idea should be shot.
    Obviously that's an aug that gives you a second set of arms.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Tennmuerti

@valrog said:

Hmm never noticed that. Probably because I usually didn't have a gun out (unless it was necessary to tranq someone from long range). Can't check now, since demo leak has been uninstalled for a while now on my machine. Wonder if they will adjust it in the retail version or leave it like that?

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#79  Edited By atejas
    @valrog said:
    Clearly he's dragging them with his augmented teeth. I mean, think about it, have you seen any footage of Jensen talking to someone while dragging a body?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.