Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Jun 18, 2015

A remastering of Capcom's fourth Devil May Cry game featuring 3 additional playable characters, enhanced graphics and balance tweaks.

DMC4 SE ups its Sexy Sick Style with playable Lady & Trish

• 71 results
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By musubi
    Pierre42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Pierre42

Y'see THAT'S A REMAKE!

New characters! New Story Mode! The works!

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By TobbRobb

That's really exciting! I was already pretty deep into just playing with the characters in spite of the environments, adding more moveset variety is more than fine with me. :D

I hope all the characters can be used in Bloody Palace. That is hopefully a safe bet?

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

Loading Video...

Here's the trailer. I am more likely to play this game than I am to mess with the remaster of DmC.

baka_shinji17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I've never played DMC4 but I like Lady and her impractical rocket launcher with a bayonet.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright, fine! I'll buy it!

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Interesting, might actually buy this in like 5 years. I'm sure every character will be pathetically underpowered compared to Nero though.

Edit: Also IGN title.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ezekiel

@baka_shinji17 said:

I've never played DMC4 but I like Lady and her impractical rocket launcher with a bayonet.

I liked her in DMC3. In DMC4 she looks less punkish and generically hot. I'm more interested in playing as Trish. But you play through the same the same levels...

I'm not sure I want this. I find the game kind of mediocre and repetitive, and the graded levels make it an unrewarding chore. I usually stop playing when I die.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

The time has come and so. have. I!

I am so excited to play this I could shit! Wait, is that what excited people do? Just me? Man I really should reschedule that colonoscopy...

Anyhow, DMC4 is one of my favorites. I put a ton of hours in that game. It made buying the collectors edition and getting to watch that shit DMC anime so much more worth it. Then of course I went through the other ones and found out about that hidden gem DMC3.

Oh yes. The nostalgia. I am ready.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel: The Graded levels are what make it replayable. I'm not sure how that makes it less rewarding.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

GOTY Confirmed. I am so fucking hyped for this game.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh I forgot how awesome the sound track was.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'M MOTIVATED!

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

Well this went from totally skip to one more reason to go current gen sooner rather than later.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oscar__explosion: It's also gonna be on PC if you have one of those. The original version of DMC4 on PC looked amazing and didn't require much to run.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

I am a little curious about this game post Bayonetta. I remember thinking the game was ok at release, Nero was waaaay more fun than Dante.

smokeyd123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Absolute joy. ABSOLUTE. JOY.

matmaelstrom11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll probably skip. DMC4 was fun until you play as Dante and start backtracking. Playing as Vergil could be cool but not enough to make it worth while.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@TechnoSyndrome: I don't have a PC yet, but good info to know none the less. Thanks a lot.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TechnoSyndrome
    No Caption Provided

Looks like Gloria and DMC3 Lady will be some kind of pre-order costumes in Japan. The Western release is going to be digital only though so maybe they won't be exclusive here.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

May end up getting this one since they are adding more characters.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

aaaaaaaaaaaa GOTY! GOTY! GOTY!

This is how you do a remake!

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

AAAaaaAAAaaaa!!!! What a game! DMC4 is so good!!! Forgot how good the music was.

This is the best example of how to do a remake!

Also, that MT Framework engine putting in work. Really not looking bad after all this time.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ezekiel

@flstyle said:

Tomb Raider: Anniversary and Resident Evil are how you do remakes. This isn't even a remake, it's a remaster. With skins, basically. Are there any new areas or bosses? Have they improved the dreadful repetition or enhanced the graphics, aside from increasing the resolution?

I haven't played them, but Nintendo seems to do good remasters, significantly enhancing the graphics and tweaking the gameplay. Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask and The Wind Waker. Though, I dislike handhelds.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel said:

@flstyle said:

Tomb Raider: Anniversary and Resident Evil are how you do remakes. This isn't even a remake, it's a remaster. With skins, basically. Are there any new areas or bosses? Have they improved the dreadful repetition or enhanced the graphics, aside from increasing the resolution?

I haven't played them, but Nintendo seems to do good remasters, significantly enhancing the graphics and tweaking the gameplay. Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask and The Wind Waker. Though, I dislike handhelds.

How is adding three new playable characters not adding/tweaking the gameplay? There's a hell of a lot more meaningful new content in this than any of those Zelda remasters.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AaaaAAAaaaa this scene is creepy:

Loading Video...

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Damn, I thought this was about DmC. You know, a real Devil May Cry game.

No, seriously, trolling aside, I hated DMC4. I have zero interest in revisiting this. I've given it maybe three or four solid shots over the years and every time I backed out, bored as hell and annoyed at all the jank and corner cutting. DMC3, we can talk about, this is a skip for me.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ezekiel
    @TechnoSyndrome said:

@ezekiel said:

@flstyle said:

How is adding three new playable characters not adding/tweaking the gameplay? There's a hell of a lot more meaningful new content in this than any of those Zelda remasters.

I didn't mean to imply that this remaster isn't tweaked. I just didn't want to make it seem like those remasters are only noteworthy for their graphics. I don't care much about the new characters, simply because they don't have their own campaigns. As in DMC3 SE, there is likely no context for their actions. Vergil only had an opening cutscene and an ending cutscene. Everything in between was meaningless.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yup, playing the hell out of this! Been away from the series for a bit too long!

Xel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lady? LADY!?

Holy shit, consider me hyped. I wonder how the Kalina Ann handles.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love that everyone is screaming "GOTY" now that they've announced you'll be playing through those same levels a third time as another character, when doing it a second time was the thing everyone hated about it.

I'm still tempted to pick this up since DMC4 was the first PS3 game I ever played, so nostalgia, but I already picked up the PC version and I didn't even finish that one.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

@teddie said:

I love that everyone is screaming "GOTY" now that they've announced you'll be playing through those same levels a third time as another character, when doing it a second time was the thing everyone hated about it.

Replaying levels is what the people who didn't get very deep into the gameplay complained about, but those of us who got super into the combat didn't care because Dante and Nero play completely differently. I didn't care when I played as Dante going through the same levels backwards, and I didn't care that I was playing those levels a third time when I replayed the game, or a fourth time, or a fifth. I think the kind of person who likes replaying games could not possibly care less because the game was so deep, whereas the kind of person who would only play a game once didn't like having to repeat content, even if the enemy encounters were largely different.

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teddie said:

Replaying levels is what the people who didn't get very deep into the gameplay complained about, but those of us who got super into the combat didn't care because Dante and Nero play completely differently. I didn't care when I played as Dante going through the same levels backwards, and I didn't care that I was playing those levels a third time when I replayed the game, or a fourth time, or a fifth. I think the kind of person who likes replaying games could not possibly care less because the game was so deep, whereas the kind of person who would only play a game once didn't like having to repeat content, even if the enemy encounters were largely different.

Amen. Also:

LAWD!
    LAWD!

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

see, this is what you do for a remaster.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

welp sign me the fuck up.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@altairre said:

@TechnoSyndrome said:

@teddie said:

Amen. Also:

LAWD!
    LAWD!

I agree with the sentiment but in this case it's letting a developer off the hook for some extremely shitty game design, and that I'm not ok with.

I remember playing this when it came out, back when all the DMC fans hated it, and thinking there was a ton of really bad decisions obscuring a pretty good game. Guess I'll buy the remaster and see how it holds up now. It's good that they are taking care in actually adding something instead of just upscaling some graphics and regurgitating it back out like so many other remasters.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Looks neat, I guess. Will probably think about picking it up if it's 20-30$. Anything over that price and, well yeah, no.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Ezekiel

@TechnoSyndrome said:

@teddie said:

I was bothered by how little content there was. It's half a game played twice. Well, more than twice, if you count the game of dice at the end where you have to fight the same bosses AGAIN. It's not the backtracking that's the problem, although that is a problem. It's that you don't spend enough of the story playing as either character. I wanted more when my time with Nero ended and I disliked having to get used to new controls. I think there should have been just one character.

Nero doesn't have enough moves and Dante has too many weapons. I seldom use them all. When you have three weapons on each controller trigger, switching weapons changes from a toggle to a series of steps that you have to think about. I have the same problem with Dark Souls II, where I only have two weapons in each hand, to save time and minimize missteps. I really think DMC4 should have let you carry only the weapons you liked. I also find it easy to forget which style is active and sometimes confusing to act accordingly. They probably could have done a better job of combining the styles.

I find few of the enemies fun to fight. There are too many aerial enemies. I dislike it when any action game wants you to jump over and over. It's lame. The flying ghosts who wait in the walls are especially annoying.

The dice and Gyro Blades are tedious, the camera often faces the wrong way, the environments are mostly bland and the music is too repetitive outside of bosses and cutscenes.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

That's cool, though I tought the redesign for Lady in DMC4 was kinda lame. Also she was barely even in the game, so that was weird.

I remember not liking the game a lot at release, but since then my perspective on action games have changed somewhat so I can't quite dismiss it yet. This game just went from a "maybe" to a "maybe+".

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#40  Edited By Yummylee

Real fucking cool. I was already sold with the addition of Vergil, let alone two whole new characters, one of whom is making her playable debut. That in itself is pretty crazy considering this is just a remastering. Trish is practically making her debut as well, given that her first playable appearance was in DMC2 - aka the DMC that never officially happened and let's all just go back to forgetting its existence.

Though all of the adjustments to both this and DmC really make their work with the RE remake remastering rather paltry in comparison... Still hoping they'll get around to doing something with RE5 down the line, as I'd love to be able to play Mercenaries on my PS4 at 1080p60.

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: I do think that the backtracking is very unfortunate and a bad choice don't get me wrong. It's just that the combat is so good that I still played through that game 12 times. It's why I much prefer it to the new DmC (though that was enjoyable as well). I mostly care about the combat so three new characters are a huge deal and in the end it doesn't really bother me that there won't be any new levels.

@ezekiel: They should have made it an option to limit the weapons that's true but overall I think it was a massive improvement that you're able to switch styles on the fly. It takes time to get it down obviously but there is a lot of room for experimentation. The dice part was unnecessary but it doesn't take long to get through once you know how it works. I disagree that the enemies aren't fun to fight but that comes down to personal taste obviously. I still think that DMC4 has the best combat system of any character action game and Nero's arm is possibly the best way to integrate incredibly flashy moves into the combat without resorting to quick time events.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel said:

@flstyle said:

Remake, remaster, whatever, don't care. Putting old games on current consoles is all the same to me. Go make a snarky reply to someone who cares.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@altairre: I personally think Bayonetta is better and probably the best game in this genre to date. DMC4 had a "everything and the kitchen sink" approach to combat. There was a ton of it to memorize and learn, but quantity doesn't always equal quality. Bayonetta to me is an overall smooth and well integrated experience. It has just the right amount of intricacy to be challenging and rewarding without becoming cluttered with a million control inputs for single throwaway actions. Like you mentioned though all of this falls under the realm of subjective taste, but I think technically Bayonetta is an objectively better made game.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Quarters

Cool, really looking forward to it. It isn't my favorite in the series, but I really like DMC4. Hope it has more than that one Vergil cutscene though. It probably won't if DMC3 is anything to go by.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, I really hope they'll potentially let you fight against at least Nero as well in Bloody Palace. Thought it was really stupid how even as Dante you'd just fight another Dante at the top. Almost as bad as fighting Vergil BUT IN A RED COAT in DMC3: SE...

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@altairre: DMC4 had a "everything and the kitchen sink" approach to combat. There was a ton of it to memorize and learn, but quantity doesn't always equal quality. Bayonetta to me is an overall smooth and well integrated experience. It has just the right amount of intricacy to be challenging and rewarding without becoming cluttered with a million control inputs for single throwaway actions.

....I'm sorry wot. Doesn't Bayonetta have a commands list that's as long as something out of Street Fighter, while also featuring like a billion weapons?...

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By TechnoSyndrome
    @yummylee said:

Also, I really hope they'll potentially let you fight against at least Nero as well in Bloody Palace. Thought it was really stupid how even as Dante you'd just fight another Dante at the top. Almost as bad as fighting Vergil BUT IN A RED COAT in DMC3: SE...

Hey, at least the dream of fighting Dante as Vergil will finally be fulfilled in this game.

No Caption Provided

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

@humanity said:

@altairre: DMC4 had a "everything and the kitchen sink" approach to combat. There was a ton of it to memorize and learn, but quantity doesn't always equal quality. Bayonetta to me is an overall smooth and well integrated experience. It has just the right amount of intricacy to be challenging and rewarding without becoming cluttered with a million control inputs for single throwaway actions.

....I'm sorry wot. Doesn't Bayonetta have a commands list that's as long as something out of Street Fighter, while also featuring like a billion weapons?...

Well considering each character in SF has less than 10 unique attacks thats not a very long list at all. Bayonetta has a fair share of combos but they are just variations of heavy and medium hits and mostly are pretty intuitive. As for weapons, not really, it has about 8 weapons with unique attack patterns if we discount the guns. I guess 8 can be seen as a lot but it's a far cry from "a billion." The beauty of Bayonetta is that it's easy to play but difficult to master as all good games should be, so you don't feel the toll of combos as heavily as in DMC4 where you really need to hunker down and learn those moves or even the beginning enemies will rip you apart.

Although I could see some people treat that as something positive.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@yummylee said:

@humanity said:

Well considering each character in SF has less than 10 unique attacks thats not a very long list at all. Bayonetta has a fair share of combos but they are just variations of heavy and medium hits and mostly are pretty intuitive. As for weapons, not really, it has about 8 weapons with unique attack patterns if we discount the guns. I guess 8 can be seen as a lot but it's a far cry from "a billion." The beauty of Bayonetta is that it's easy to play but difficult to master as all good games should be, so you don't feel the toll of combos as heavily as in DMC4 where you really need to hunker down and learn those moves or even the beginning enemies will rip you apart.

Although I could see some people treat that as something positive.

Well, Tekken then, whatever. Eight weapons is also still more weapons than what's in DMC4. And DMC4 is hardly impenetrable and its highest default difficulty--being Devil Hunter--is generally pretty easy. Even Dante Must Die is a far cry from the difficulty of DMC3 & DMC.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After DmC (and DE) bombing universally, I am glad DMC is back on track again. Day FUCKING one. Also some Trish footage that looks dope.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.