Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Diablo III

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released May 15, 2012

Diablo III returns to the world of Sanctuary twenty years after the events of Diablo II with a new generation of heroes that must defeat the demonic threat from Hell.

Scrubs ASK Vets ANSWER

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Adamsons

@Tennmuerti said:

@Adamsons said:

@Tennmuerti said:

Seven Sided strike looks kinda insane. Especially with the extra exlposions. The number are craaaazy. 777% damage spread over whatever is in the area, then each of the 7 hits also does a 111% damge aoe? It's NUTS!!!

I think that rune means each of the 7 111% hits is an aoe, so 777% aoe damage, just clarifying. The seven sided strike runes seem to vary on how you intend to use the skill - as burst damage against one or a small number of enemies, or against groups.

The thing is that in theory all those 111% aoe effects are seperate (because the tooltip says and therefore will overalp in the groups you do it on, with tight groupings of enemies you will be stacking several of those 111% aoes on every dude in the group. "each strike explodes dealing damage ... in a 7 yard radius around a target"

Yeah, I mean you will probably have 777% aoe damage on a tight group overall, instead of having the aoe damage + punches as well. There will obviously be places where that is useful, but also where the extra strikes / 1007% damage, will come in handy like bosses or sturdy single targets.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#52  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Adamsons: Oh yea for sure.
    alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#53  Edited By alanm26v5

Oh man forgot about my "biggest complaint" from the whole beta experience: monk thunderclap teleport rune, maybe it was just me or maybe my graphics were messed up. To me there were zero animation cues and it felt really jarring to the point of slight motion sickness when it went off. It felt really out of place considering the rest of the detail to animation given elsewhere.

Here's an example video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi9YwEHinRU

Panpipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#54  Edited By Panpipe

@Rayeth: Thanks, you nailed it.

Personally I don't want to play alone - just wondered why in the beta sometimes i was joining an empty game and sometimes I was joining a game with 3 other people.

Co-op really seems like the way to go. It really was fun and giving friends loot that helped them out felt really rewarding, but you're never forced to because no-one knows what loot you just picked up.

StrawHatLaw13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By StrawHatLaw13

When you name a character, does it still have to be unique? I'm hoping it doesn't have to be since your character is already tied to your battle.net account which is already unique.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By Ravenlight

@StrawHatLaw13 said:

When you name a character, does it still have to be unique? I'm hoping it doesn't have to be since your character is already tied to your battle.net account which is already unique.

I'm 99% sure the answer to that is "no." You barely ever see a character's name ingame anyway.

xxNBxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#57  Edited By xxNBxx

@Tennmuerti said:

@gamefreak9 said:

@Sjupp said:

@Adamsons: Man the Wave of Light ability looks so awesome but It was extremely underwhelming in the beta. (I was dual wielding 15 dps + 13 dps 1h's) at lv 12 (Only played during open beta). I did not dig deep into it but 75 spirit for 215% + 15% vs 30 spirit for 200% seems like a real one-sided fight.

I agree that wave of light was terrible... it looks cool but its weak... and the attack doesnt seem to go straight. What's REALLy making me consider the monk is that exploding palm technique!

I personally found the very first skill Fists of Thunder combined with Thunderclap to be kind of OP. You get super fast strikes, plus a little teleport action, plus an AoE effect that also does extra damage on primary target. You just cut through dudes with this and generate shitloads aof spirit in the process. Didn't see a reason to use Deadly Reach or Crippling Wave at all. Seven Sided strike looks kinda insane. Especially with the extra exlposions. The number are craaaazy. 777% damage spread over whatever is in the area, then each of the 7 hits also does a 111% damge aoe? It's NUTS!!!

Wave of Light is good for when you are being chased and have a big pack grouped up in a line. Deadly Reach is another skill great for keeping your distance between you and your heavy hitting enemies like the Unburied. I look at Crippling Wave as a good secondary combo skill.

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Adamsons

@StrawHatLaw13 said:

No, I have all of my characters named the same thing, so it isn't unique.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By gamefreak9

@alanm26v5 said:

Oh man forgot about my "biggest complaint" from the whole beta experience: monk thunderclap teleport rune, maybe it was just me or maybe my graphics were messed up. To me there were zero animation cues and it felt really jarring to the point of slight motion sickness when it went off. It felt really out of place considering the rest of the detail to animation given elsewhere.

yeah that does look janky though an animation would slow it down... I guess they could add some colors or something

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Karl_Boss

What are you a vet at?

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By scarace360

Question: Can you play on hard right at the start.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#62  Edited By ch3burashka

I was hoping this was a 'Scrubs' Q&A thread. That Zach Braff, he's so dreamy.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#63  Edited By Seppli
    @scarace360 said:

I read something in the client about unlocking difficulty. So I guess not. Just wonder if higher difficulty settings are unlocked per quest or chapter or playthrough.
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By scarace360

@Seppli said:

@scarace360 said:

I read something in the client about unlocking difficulty. So I guess not. Just wonder if higher difficulty settings are unlocked per quest or chapter or playthrough.

Aww that sucks.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#65  Edited By StarvingGamer

@scarace360: If you mean Hardcore mode then you have to get a character to level 10 to unlock it. If you're talking about Nightmare, then no because it would be impossible since difficulty levels follow a linear progression Normal > Nightmare > Hell > Inferno. For example, on a Normal playthrough players should level from 1-30 meaning enemies in Act 1 of Nightmare will start somewhere between levels 28 and 32. It would be impossible to play on Nightmare from the start since your level 1 character would be dying in one hit from anything and would need to land 300+ attacks on a single weak enemy to kill it.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @gamefreak9 said:

@alanm26v5 said:

yeah that does look janky though an animation would slow it down... I guess they could add some colors or something

It's hard to just watch in the youtube vid, but had no issues when using it meself.
    Dunno why for certain.

It's seems kind of similar to watching a decent person play a PC fps, if you are just watchiing them it's really jaring because of the jerkiness of mouse movement (always looking around), but totally not an issue when doing the same thing yourself.
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By scarace360

@StarvingGamer said:

@scarace360: If you mean Hardcore mode then you have to get a character to level 10 to unlock it. If you're talking about Nightmare, then no because it would be impossible since difficulty levels follow a linear progression Normal > Nightmare > Hell > Inferno. For example, on a Normal playthrough players should level from 1-30 meaning enemies in Act 1 of Nightmare will start somewhere between levels 28 and 32. It would be impossible to play on Nightmare from the start since your level 1 character would be dying in one hit from anything and would need to land 300+ attacks on a single weak enemy to kill it.

Huh.

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#68  Edited By alanm26v5

It's more like New Game Plus where everything's harder than picking a difficulty from the start.

khidi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By khidi

@scarace360: It's the diablo thing, you complete normal and then unlock nightmare. Nightmare monsters will be higher level (health and damage) like others said already, they will probably also gain new skills / affixes (elemental damage etc), they'll be more aggressive and there will be more of them, so in short, everything will be harder. Champions/elites/uniques gain more affixes/attributes, on normal you are lucky if you find those with more than 1 "skill". So in short everything gets harder.

With increased difficulty there will be new items and stats/affixes in the items, resistances and such probably. You will most likely be around 30 when you complete normal, 45-50ish when you complete nightmare I guess and probably will reach 60 (cap) when you complete hell and unlock the new inferno difficulty which will kick our asses like a boss.

You will continue to unlock runes up to level 60, you'll "run out" of new skills at 30 when you'll probably hit nightmare.

Hardcore is unlocked at lvl 10 like already said, it's just like "softcore" with 1 difference. Death is permanent and you can die only once. Regardless of the reason, once you die it's over.

Also there is no RMAH (real money auction house) for hardcore characters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya8-3eYVRmw&feature=fvsr

A short bit about ai scaling/difficulty change.

- edit - Normal is supposed to teach how the game works for you and real challenge starts in nightmare when you have gotten familiar with the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-Zd7YD3uuM

The Blizzcon panel about difficulty levels in general.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By scarace360

@khidi said:

@scarace360: It's the diablo thing, you complete normal and then unlock nightmare. Nightmare monsters will be higher level (health and damage) like others said already, they will probably also gain new skills / affixes (elemental damage etc), they'll be more aggressive and there will be more of them, so in short, everything will be harder. Champions/elites/uniques gain more affixes/attributes, on normal you are lucky if you find those with more than 1 "skill". So in short everything gets harder.

With increased difficulty there will be new items and stats/affixes in the items, resistances and such probably. You will most likely be around 30 when you complete normal, 45-50ish when you complete nightmare I guess and probably will reach 60 (cap) when you complete hell and unlock the new inferno difficulty which will kick our asses like a boss.

You will continue to unlock runes up to level 60, you'll "run out" of new skills at 30 when you'll probably hit nightmare.

Hardcore is unlocked at lvl 10 like already said, it's just like "softcore" with 1 difference. Death is permanent and you can die only once. Regardless of the reason, once you die it's over.

Also there is no RMAH (real money auction house) for hardcore characters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya8-3eYVRmw&feature=fvsr

A short bit about ai scaling/difficulty change.

- edit - Normal is supposed to teach how the game works for you and real challenge starts in nightmare when you have gotten familiar with the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-Zd7YD3uuM

The Blizzcon panel about difficulty levels in general.

So i can bring my character from normal over to nightmare and hell.

khidi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By khidi

@scarace360: Yes, everything you have carries over to new difficulties. Gold, gear, lvl, inventory, everything.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Ravenlight

@scarace360 said:

So i can bring my character from normal over to nightmare and hell.

Yes. After you complete the game at one difficult, you an then play the next difficulty with that character. Traditionally difficulties have been unlocked only on a per-class basis.

IE: You can unlock Hell difficulty with your Barbarian but you still have to beat Normal and Nightmare with your Witch Doctor to play Hell with that character.

Difficulty levels are backwards-compatible, too. So if your Witch Doctor isn't ready for Hell yet, you can run through Nightmare some more to gather better gear and level up.

MrMuscle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By MrMuscle

I have another question about the chat. I have 2 brothers that will play the game and in the beginning we will all be playing solo. Can i have a party chat with them without being in the same game?

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By gamefreak9

@MrMuscle:

I dno if you can have "party" chat since thats for when your in a party but you can definetely communicate with them, though probably one a a time.... why don't you just use skype?

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@MrMuscle: There was a mechanic to form parties from the character menu but I'm not sure if that locked you to the same game however, it did allow me to talk with a friend while switching characters however, so the groundwork is there.
    Otherwise you can talk with them, one at a time, via Battle.net chat.
    MrMuscle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By MrMuscle
    @gamefreak9 said:

@MrMuscle:

I dno if you can have "party" chat since thats for when your in a party but you can definetely communicate with them, though probably one a a time.... why don't you just use skype?

Yeah i kinda figured I would have to talk to them seperately. We use Vent when we play togheter i just figured it would be nice to talk to the both thru the ingame chat.
    MrMuscle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By MrMuscle
    @TaliciaDragonsong said:
    @MrMuscle: There was a mechanic to form parties from the character menu but I'm not sure if that locked you to the same game however, it did allow me to talk with a friend while switching characters however, so the groundwork is there. Otherwise you can talk with them, one at a time, via Battle.net chat.
    I saw the party option also but never gave it a try. I figured it mean inviting them to a game, i guess we will know in a couple of weeks! 
    gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By gamefreak9

@MrMuscle said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:
    @MrMuscle: There was a mechanic to form parties from the character menu but I'm not sure if that locked you to the same game however, it did allow me to talk with a friend while switching characters however, so the groundwork is there. Otherwise you can talk with them, one at a time, via Battle.net chat.
    I saw the party option also but never gave it a try. I figured it mean inviting them to a game, i guess we will know in a couple of weeks!

Also, there might be channels that allow you to talk(not sure if they are accessible from game).

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Ravenlight

@MrMuscle said:

I have another question about the chat. I have 2 brothers that will play the game and in the beginning we will all be playing solo. Can i have a party chat with them without being in the same game?

Just curious, why don't you all play in the same game?

xxNBxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#80  Edited By xxNBxx

@MrMuscle: If you form a group you will all be in the same game. The chat channels they have only work for players in the same game, or if you are at the main menu. They haven't added things like Guild chat yet as your playing. That might change after release. You can only send private messages to one person at a time on your friends list as of now. So I agree with gamefreak9 you should just talk on skype anyways.

MrMuscle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By MrMuscle
    @Ravenlight said:

@MrMuscle said:

Just curious, why don't you all play in the same game?

Oh we definately will be playing together as well. But for my first run thru Im going to want to talk to all npcs, read every scrap I can find, listen to all the lore and that really isnt very coop friendly.  

@xxNBxx said:

@MrMuscle: If you form a group you will all be in the same game. The chat channels they have only work for players in the same game, or if you are at the main menu. They haven't added things like Guild chat yet as your playing. That might change after release. You can only send private messages to one person at a time on your friends list as of now. So I agree with gamefreak9 you should just talk on skype anyways.

Thanks! 
    Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Scrawnto

@gamefreak9 said:

@alanm26v5 said:

I noticed that as well. I don't think they would need to add an animation. They could just have the camera "slide" to recenter on the monk where he ended up, rather than instantly jumping along with the monk.

khidi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By khidi

@MrMuscle: A bit late answer but you can also add them to your Real ID and chat through that, which is same as just sending whispers (PM) to their char, don't know which it is though. Just BattleTag or char name but anyways.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#84  Edited By Grillbar

@StarvingGamer said:

Can a Monk equip a shield? I am out eating dinner so it's easier to ask here than try and look it up lol.

yep they can or atleast i could in the beta

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Tennmuerti

Is it me or does the "One with Everything" passive seems kind of OP?
    Seeing how Hell and Inferno difficulties were stated to once again have Elites that will be one shotting you without proper resist.
    Monk will be the only class that can just have a set that stacks a single kind of elemental resist and use it for every elite there is, unlike other clases that will either need to balance resists across the board or have several sets.
    This seems further multiplied by the buff that Blizzard is introducing for killing elites that will increase magic find.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By gamefreak9

@Tennmuerti said:

Is it me or does the "One with Everything" passive seems kind of OP? Seeing how Hell and Inferno difficulties were stated to once again have Elites that will be one shotting you without proper resist. Monk will be the only class that can just have a set that stacks a single kind of elemental resist and use it for every elite there is, unlike other clases that will either need to balance resists across the board or have several sets. This seems further multiplied by the buff that Blizzard is introducing for killing elites that will increase magic find.

um in Inferno difficulty, any other class other than monk and barb will probably be very reliant on not getting hit. So no its not OP i find abilities than avoid attacks altogether better than abilities that merely reduce the damage. It could be OP compared to the BARB's ability to survive though "Superstition" is probably a very good alternative that doesn't rely on your loot having resistances. Or Nerves of Steel which does rely on your loot can probably make a massive difference in hell/inferno, especially if you get items with lots of vitality. So sure Monk might have less trouble with elemental damage but Barb looks like he has less trouble with non elemental.

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#87  Edited By Crono

@Scrawnto said:

@gamefreak9 said:

@alanm26v5 said:

I noticed that as well. I don't think they would need to add an animation. They could just have the camera "slide" to recenter on the monk where he ended up, rather than instantly jumping along with the monk.

Yeah I really liked using this skill a lot but I noticed a distinct lack of an animation as well and it bothered me too. I think they could definitely clean this skill up some and add something to cue it better. The first time I used the skill I thought I just got a lag spike. Anyway, I think one thing they could do would be to leave a ghost of your hero behind that just fades away shortly after using the skill... like you're so fast that it looks like you're in 2 places at once. I think that idea gels well with the way they have crafted the Monk.

thornie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By thornie

Here's a dumb question for you guys...

I can't stand the character designs for all of the available classes (male and female). Has Blizzard ever sold "skins" or provided different character designs in the past? If no, do you think they would, or is it impossible? Can this be modded by the community?

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
    deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No modding as long as your want to play the game, as its always online. I don't know if they will ever do any modding tools for D3 like they have with SC. As for skins you never know.

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#90  Edited By Crono

@thornie said:

Here's a dumb question for you guys...

I can't stand the character designs for all of the available classes (male and female). Has Blizzard ever sold "skins" or provided different character designs in the past? If no, do you think they would, or is it impossible? Can this be modded by the community?

No they have not done this in the past. There will be no modding tools for the game either. They have never had official mod tools for the Diablo series but this time around, with the inclusion of a real-money auction house, they have to keep everyone on a level playing field. Allowing players to mod the game could give them an advantage. You could certainly argue "but what if they only allowed them to change textures/models of characters" or something like that but Blizzard isn't going to spend the time or resources to do that, unfortunately.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Scrawnto

@Crono: That could work. I definitely think some camera 'tweening' would be necessary too.

Panpipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Panpipe

Question: If I played the beta, will my current version of client work with the final game, or should I delete that and download the client from the Blizzard site?

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Panpipe: You need to download the retail client.
    gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By gamefreak9

@Panpipe said:

Question: If I played the beta, will my current version of client work with the final game, or should I delete that and download the client from the Blizzard site?

I'm not sure but from the way they are selling the pre-load I would guess you have to get rid of your beta. Also there's a different client for testing in their other games. So you should delete it.

Panpipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Panpipe

@Tennmuerti said:

@Panpipe: You need to download the retail client.

@gamefreak9 said:

@Panpipe said:

I'm not sure but from the way they are selling the pre-load I would guess you have to get rid of your beta. Also there's a different client for testing in their other games. So you should delete it.

okay.jpg

Thanks guys.

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Adamsons

@Tennmuerti said:

Is it me or does the "One with Everything" passive seems kind of OP? Seeing how Hell and Inferno difficulties were stated to once again have Elites that will be one shotting you without proper resist. Monk will be the only class that can just have a set that stacks a single kind of elemental resist and use it for every elite there is, unlike other clases that will either need to balance resists across the board or have several sets. This seems further multiplied by the buff that Blizzard is introducing for killing elites that will increase magic find.

IIRC Int increases resistance anyway, so the witch doctor / wizard will probably have a decent pool of resist just from stacking damage.

It isn't the only way to mitigate magic damage though, pretty sure armor reduces all damage including elemental, and dodge works on ranged and aoe effects.

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By shaunk

Question: Haven't bought a PC game in like 10 years that wasn't digital. I intend to buy the box, but I heard that there was some weird things with Starcraft 2 like buying the box only included a digital download code. If that was true will D3 be the same thing? Or will it be just like D2 where everything will be on the disc? Sorry for the stupid question.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By gamefreak9

@Adamsons said:

@Tennmuerti said:

IIRC Int increases resistance anyway, so the witch doctor / wizard will probably have a decent pool of resist just from stacking damage.

It isn't the only way to mitigate magic damage though, pretty sure armor reduces all damage including elemental, and dodge works on ranged and aoe effects.

are you sure armor helps with elemental damage? i've never heard this before. And the dodge thing is also new to me... where did you read this?

@MasturbatingestBear said:

Question: Haven't bought a PC game in like 10 years that wasn't digital. I intend to buy the box, but I heard that there was some weird things with Starcraft 2 like buying the box only included a digital download code. If that was true will D3 be the same thing? Or will it be just like D2 where everything will be on the disc? Sorry for the stupid question.

um the disk will exist but lots of people only buy it because its cheaper to buy that than the digital version, and then just input the code online. Either way D3 is run on servers so you need internet anyway so the game being on a disk doesn't really enable you to do anything you would not otherwise be able to do.

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Adamsons

@gamefreak9 said:

are you sure armor helps with elemental damage? i've never heard this before. And the dodge thing is also new to me... where did you read this?

Re dodge: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug454JiZYFQ

That says there is a 50% dodge cap though, but I don't know why - I cant see anything in the video that points to a 50% cap.

Armor / Def has always said reduces all damage iirc.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By emem
    @MasturbatingestBear said:

That was never the case, the boxed version of Starcraft 2 always came with a disc (every single boxed version comes with at least one disc)... people made things up or failed to make their point. You can enter the key that's in the box (as well as a DVD) into your battlenet account and download the game instead of installing it from DVD. I (for example) don't own a disc drive anymore so that's what I'm going to do.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.