Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Diablo III

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released May 15, 2012

Diablo III returns to the world of Sanctuary twenty years after the events of Diablo II with a new generation of heroes that must defeat the demonic threat from Hell.

Skipping conversations in multiplayer

kartanaold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By kartanaold

Why would they let other people skip the conversation? It could just continue to play for me if anyone wants to skip it. I don't understand that. This pretty much kills the MP for me. At least for the fest walkthrough.

TheJappernaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TheJappernaut

Maybe you should play alone or with friends then. Why are you complaining about this? The solution seems obvious.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Gargantuan

First time you play through a game should either be solo or with friends

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By EXTomar

@Kartana: I don't think it is so much "skipping conversations in multiplayer" as much as "skipping conversations I've seen multiple times before".

kartanaold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kartanaold
    @TheJappernaut said:

Maybe you should play alone or with friends then. Why are you complaining about this? The solution seems obvious.

Yes but it would be easier if I could just hear the conversation. You can skip it if you want but skipping it for everyone is stupid imho.
    TheJappernaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheJappernaut

@Kartana: It would be easier to play with friends so you don't have to deal with people you don't know that don't care about story in games and just skip everything.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Tennmuerti

There are frequently event triggers when a conversation ends, especially outside of town. In those cases the event does not trigger untill the conversation finishes, like an NPC performing certain actions etc. This is the reason why in MP conversation skips for everyoen so that you aren't going to be holding back other players.

Grixxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Grixxel

Then ... *gasp* ... play single player on your first playthrough!!! I'm a genius, I know, I know.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Funkydupe

@Kartana: Yes, they should have let people do a simple click-to-vote system for passing dialogue, it'd be very simple for them to do. If they haven't yet, maybe they will in a future update. It will make public co-op much more enjoyable for when friends aren't around. Please disregard all the fucking morons in this thread.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Funkydupe:

The vote system is unfortunately not an ideal solution. Ultimately it will slow down the flow of the MP with everyone having to vote, wait for a vote etc, as it is with 4 people and everyone skipping in public the action keeps moving at an extremrly fast pace and it feels great. Having to vote for each and every conversation may not seem like much initially but there are a lot of those in D3 and people would get annoyed real fast. I would personally loose my shit if everyone had to vote every time at every single convo in a MP game. Also many conversations happen in town when people are doing their maintainance shit like buying stuff, crafting, selling etc, having a vote screen pop up every time would be again annoying.

It's a SP vs. MP issue, D3 has been built almost entirely with a focus on a smooth MP experience and to be played multiple times through. Will voting help out those who want to experience story? Yes. But over 4 game difficulties and most people playing the game in MP (especially as time goes on) over and over, the voting system would actually be a net negative for the majority of the time. So it's a simpler solution for those that want story either do a single tun solo in SP or with like minded friends.

Calling everyone fucking morons is uncalled for dude.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By EXTomar

It seems to me the solution is not some voting system but to do a better mechanism to give information in a cut scene without taking control away from any of the players.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.