Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

DiRT 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 24, 2011

Dirt 3 is the latest installment in Codemasters' long-running Colin McRae Rally franchise. The game returns to the series' rally roots with dynamic weather, a career focusing on team-based racing, as well as introducing the freestyle event: Gymkhana.

Driveline in a Rally Game?

DeltaKilo24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DeltaKilo24

Kind of a small nitpick I guess, but my only complaint is having a rally game with a driving line. I don't know if the other DiRT games had them (didn't play them) but I find this mildly annoying. Isn't this what the Co-Driver is for, to call out corners? Isn't Trailblazer about driving the fine line between aggressive and cautious and paying the penalty or reaping the rewards of that decision? With a driving line, it takes away the 'unknown factor' that partially defines Rally racing. 

I understand individual skill still trumps a stupid line, I just find the design decision a bit odd considering. 

Edit: I should also say I don't mind it in single player because I can just turn that off, but in multiplayer most people have it on. IMO it kinda ruins the ascetic of racing at night when people have line-vision.

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By KarlPilkington

Just turn it off.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Franstone

Just a learning tool for those that totally suck at driving games in general...
    Turn it off and keep it off.  
    : )

yoob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By yoob

That thing is too technical anyway, the most fun you have with rally racing is with a strong differential and plenty of powerslides. The racing line would actually have you SLOW DOWN before hairpins! That's just absolute nonsense.

DeltaKilo24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DeltaKilo24

Sorry yea... should've said that I do have it off but most people online don't. I have been playing hardcore mainly because it levels the playing field a lot more, just surprised that they allow it in default multiplayer.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By buft

following that line wont make you more competitive online just help you see the corners coming up, its not a big deal.

ApolloBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By ApolloBob

I, too, was surprised to see a driveline by default on my first rally stage - but only because it hasn't been the norm in the series so far.  Turned that shit right off.

The_Chosen_Bum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Chosen_Bum
    @buft: Yo bro it does make you more competitive, racing at night time without is scary as hell because you don't know what's coming until you see it, having it on lets you see what's ahead of you in the dark, giving you an advantage over someone whose not.
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Vinny_Says

Deaf people?

The_Chosen_Bum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_Chosen_Bum

Yeah probably

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ShockD

It's made for the casual gamers or those who aren't good at racing. If you're so hardcore, you can always turn off all assists and play like it's mean to be.

DeltaKilo24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DeltaKilo24

Wow nobody does read. The problem isn't that it is in the game, its that people will use it in multiplayer like a crutch. Trailblazer, at night, in norway? In Hardcore, more than half the field usually wrecks their cars. In normal you're lucky if you have someone finish 5 seconds behind first place. Why is this? Probably because of a magical glowing green line that shows them where the corners are and when to slow down.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CptBedlam
    @DeltaKilo24: So hardcore mode fixes this issue in mp  ... what's the problem then?
    JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By JasonR86

I'd rather have a driveline then a co-driver.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Fuck Codemasters for adding an optional feature that will help bring in new players and help them improve to point where they won't need that optional feature.  Where are the Codemasters offices located ?  We need to storm their offices and demand this optional feature be removed as soon as possible.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.