Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

DmC Devil May Cry

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Jan 15, 2013

DmC Devil May Cry is a reboot of the series from developer Ninja Theory, featuring a redesigned Dante and a new take on the franchise's fiction.

Impressions & Discussion thread

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#151  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Wraxend: @Demoskinos: I've been hit sometime so I never relayed on it much. Maybe i'll start using that tactic more for crowd control.

Wraxend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#152  Edited By Wraxend

@ImmortalSaiyan: Luckily they have a lot of audio cues for when they're about to attack so it does make it quite a useful tactic.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

The more I play this game the more I like it. Right now my only issue I have is with the colored enemys and how they limit what moves I can do. I kinda wish they all work like the witches and after some damage the aura disappear and you had some time to use all moves on them before it came back.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#154  Edited By musubi

@ImmortalSaiyan: When I get multi colored enemies I usually try to lock down the ice enemy with Aquila while I focus on the fire enemy. I think there is enough variety in moves between having two demon and two angel weapons to keep fighting the color enemies fun. My real beef is with the damn flying enemies. Real annoying to try to take those fuckers out in a crowd. Also, I just replayed mission 9 a second ago and I think you might be right turning the camera seems to only hinder them so long although it seems that before they do attack they also slowly saunter back within your camera view.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Demoskinos said:

@ImmortalSaiyan: When I get multi colored enemies I usually try to lock down the ice enemy with Aquila while I focus on the fire enemy. I think there is enough variety in moves between having two demon and two angel weapons to keep fighting the color enemies fun. My real beef is with the damn flying enemies. Real annoying to try to take those fuckers out in a crowd. Also, I just replayed mission 9 a second ago and I think you might be right turning the camera seems to only hinder them so long although it seems that before they do attack they also slowly saunter back within your camera view.

That is issue with it. I like the colored enenys in theory and the witch is super fun to fight. It is just that when you have a couple of the blue dudes it is not as fun, as the moves are so limited and I like experimenting with combos. The flying ones are not so bad. The one with the shields, I just pull them towards me and the harpys you can ground with the shotgun easily.

Sanious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#156  Edited By Sanious

It didn't even occur to me to hit the blade right back at the Hunter.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By musubi

@Sanious: Heh, on my second run through he never got a chance to even use the blade. Good to know though for future reference.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#158  Edited By Yummylee

Finally completed it, and while the Mundus boss battle was kinda underwhelming, the final mission was so bloody awesome. I had a massive grin on my face when Dante and Vergil were finally forced to butt heads. The boss battle itself was pretty cool, too -- and I especially liked how they've kept a lot of Vergil's trademark abilities in check. Really looking forward to the DLC for when we can play as him!

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#159  Edited By Zella

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

The more I play this game the more I like it. Right now my only issue I have is with the colored enemys and how they limit what moves I can do. I kinda wish they all work like the witches and after some damage the aura disappear and you had some time to use all moves on them before it came back.

Yeah they can break your flow. As a heads up DT makes them vulnerable to all weapons so if there's a bunch of multicoloured enemies DT can be used to juggle them all in the air pretty easily to kill or heavily damage them all.

I just beat SoS mode, not too difficult but certainly more of the traditional DMC feel to it. Doing a Heaven or Hell run before Dante must Die and man Heaven or Hell is so damn easy, Ebony and Ivory take out everything except shields. Aquila's delay attack does a good job of dispatching a bunch of enemies at once as well. I had to laugh when the Hunter demon died in one bullet. With the yellow orbs it seems Hell and Hell will be much easier than I originally thought. Not looking forward to DmD just cause of the length of time it will take, I think I'll be able to handle the difficulty but just going through it again with enemies with even more health is gonna take a little bit.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I never knew you could use DT whenever. I figured the bar needed to be full to activate it. This changes everything. I caused a bizarre glitch to happen. Near the end of chapter 5 during the part with the soda poison. One of the big armor guys was right next to the rail and I was in the air charging the fire fist move and punched down into the pit. When I spawned back the big dude was stuck on top of the railing. Could not even body splash off.

Sanious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By Sanious

Yeah your DT only has to be a quarter of the bar, but you'll only have it for a short amount of time anyway if you use it that low. Unless you like using items.

Heaven and Hell was fun, was hoping to unlock another costume but there isn't one for that mode. Did finish upgrading all my skills, outside of my Health and DT. After DMD I will probably run around and find all the keys/souls/challenge rooms. I attempted to look for a lot of the stuff myself but some of them are really tricky to find and even to get to when you do see them.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By musubi

@Sanious: There are a few that are obvious but really tricky. There is one in chapter 11 where a lost soul is waaaaay up high on a wall and the only way to get it is to pop the dream runner that you fight into the air and enemy step then air dodge over to it. You do a similar thing for a gold key in I think level 9. I've just been playing through Devil Hunter for items and missions. Wanna mop up so I can just 100% focus on running the other difficulties. I wanna have all those completion ranks. =p

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Demoskinos: I'm getting the items on my SoS run. Although I am missing some of them which i'll grab on Heaven or Hell. So I heard there was some sort of Vergil DLC coming at some point. Does anyone know about that?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By musubi

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Demoskinos: I'm getting the items on my SoS run. Although I am missing some of them which i'll grab on Heaven or Hell. So I heard there was some sort of Vergil DLC coming at some point. Does anyone know about that?

There is this game site that has a wiki I wonder if they would have any information on it?! =p Me being a smarmy asshole aside yes there is limited information out. The DLC is called "Vergil's Downfall" and it will follow Vergil post-game apparently from what is known of it. So apparently It might be a entire mini-campaign? Not much else is known beyond that there is a trailer out there too.

Sanious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By Sanious

Will be playing that, I am also eagerly waiting Bloody Palace.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#166  Edited By Humanity

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

I know you get to play as Vergil, that its DLC and that it's coming out "Early 2013" but thats it. I am a little more interested in the Bombcrew mentioning how there is a DLC coming out with that tower from DMC4 - I forgot the name but it's basically DMC horde mode. I enjoy the combat and have beaten the game so would like to just go into a place where I can battle baddies. Started playing on Son of Sparda and beat the first level - which actually surprised me with how much hidden stuff there was that I never got to see the first time around. Overall though I don't like replaying games over again, especially not when I just beat them so I'm a bit reluctant to go through it all again.

Talking about beating the end, without going into spoilers there is a very specific THING you gotta do to kill the last boss and I swear I did it and it totally didn't work that time around so I ended up re-doing the fight roughly 4 times trying different things before I checked YouTube to see that it was in fact exactly what I assumed except for some reason it didn't trigger properly the first time. Kinda soured that last fight for me.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By musubi

@Humanity: Bloody Palace Mode. Its been a staple in DMC games since DMC 2. =)

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By Zella

The Vergil DLC is supposed to be out February according to the website you redeem your code for it at. Got the code by pre-ordering, though knowing Capcom it will be up for sale when it comes out.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Demoskinos: I hope that is good and reasonably priced. I don't usually buy DLC but I'd consider that.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#170  Edited By Humanity

@Demoskinos: Ah yes, well I'm more excited about that than the Vergil stuff but I actually enjoyed my time with DmC to the point where I wouldn't mind dropping money for some new content - especially if I get to play a whole new character.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#171  Edited By Nux

I really like it so far. I'm not the biggest DMC fan but I really like the combat and art style. I also really like the new look for Dante and his attitude, it is a nice change for that character and I'm really looking forward to finishing tjis game.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By musubi

@Humanity: Also keep in mind that that would also mean a new character for Bloody Palace mode. ;D

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#173  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @ImmortalSaiyan

@Demoskinos: I hope that is good and reasonably priced. I don't usually buy DLC but I'd consider that.

It's the first game I've bought at GameStop since Xenoblade because preorders get Vergil for free $$$
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By musubi

Number 39! Finally I posted a half way decent score. I know I can do better but dammit I keep getting too greedy at times and drop combos. XD

No Caption Provided
    Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By Solh0und

I'm trying NOT to rush through it so I'm only playing a mission or two a day. I am quite happy with the final product of this game though. This might be the first game where I'll play the much,much harder difficulties. Can't wait for Virgil's Downfall....I am quite curious of that.

Also, Congrats for being number 39!

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By musubi

@Solh0und: Thanks!

So, I finally started SoS and its starting to finally get interesting. Also, man the scoring ceiling is sooo much higher. I just got 39 Million on mission 2 and I was pretty excited about the score and then I only managed to get #194 >_> Still, I'm finding SoS to be pretty fun I'm glad they actually changed enemy placements. Its one of the things I really enjoyed about Ninja Gaiden Black. Their take on difficulty wasn't just adjusting damage sliders and calling it a day. The game actually played differently.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#177  Edited By MezZa

I'm really glad you guys told me about parrying those teleporting guys. Played a bit deeper into SoS today and I can't imagine trying to fight the ones that spawn with other higher priority enemies without parrying them. Now I just need to get better at dealing with the sawblade things so I don't keep losing my SSS everytime one shows up. Seems like it might just be easier to get better at bouncing the saws back rather than trying to dodge all of them.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@MentalDisruption said:

I'm really glad you guys told me about parrying those teleporting guys. Played a bit deeper into SoS today and I can't imagine trying to fight the ones that spawn with other higher priority enemies without parrying them. Now I just need to get better at dealing with the sawblade things so I don't keep losing my SSS everytime one shows up. Seems like it might just be easier to get better at bouncing the saws back rather than trying to dodge all of them.

What I started doing against the saw dudes, is waiting back for them to shoot their blades and parry them with Propeller. Timing is simple with that move. Then dash in a Hit them with the charged fire fists uppercut to launch them.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By MezZa

@ImmortalSaiyan: Cool I'll give that a shot and see how it goes.

Supah_Ted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By Supah_Ted

Loving this game so far.

RaidenMitsuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By RaidenMitsuru

Waiting for PC version, I have it pre-ordered.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#182  Edited By metalsnakezero

Nearing the end of the game but here is my impressions.

It is surprisingly Devil May Cry in a lot of ways with just a over arcing storytelling and slightly easy combat. Dante character get some good development and makes him likable in a way. I would had liked the old Dante personality but what Ninja Theory used instead was pretty good. Brad is indeed right with how environments start to change in cooler and interesting ways and each new enemies have new combat designs and ways to stun them. I am very surprised that Ninja Theory was able to pull off some really good gameplay since there last games weren't good in that aspects. Story isn't anything special but it paced very well and it doesn't take itself too seriously but has some teaching moments in nice areas.

So yeah, really liking it.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By musubi

@metalsnakezero: The limbo thing is by far the best decision in the game. It really allowed for their team to go nuts with the level design. I don't think I've been so impressed with level design in a game since Portal 2.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#184  Edited By kerse

I really like it, but I'm still really bad at character action games.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By musubi

@kerse: Anything in particular you having trouble with? I'm open to giving advice. =D

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By kerse

@Demoskinos said:

@kerse: Anything in particular you having trouble with? I'm open to giving advice. =D

I'm just not quick enough most of the time, I know what I need to do but I do it too late like dodging, I see their weapon flash and then I know I gotta move but its too late, maybe I just need to play more and get used to it.

Aete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By Aete

I saw someone playing this on a stream last night and it seemed pretty fun even though I've never played a DmC game.

I'd like to give it a shot but I'm not sure if I want to get a copy for my 360 now or wait for a pc release. I know I have the pc to run it but I'm not sure whether I'm better of playing it with a controller or just with a mouse and keyboard.

Any tips?

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By Quarters

@Aete: I'd say go with a controller. Even if you play it on PC(which seems like it'll be a good version), try to grab a wired 360 controller you can use and play it with that.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#189  Edited By TobbRobb

@Aete: Play with a controller. You basically need to do that. Or an arcade stick if you have one, that works pretty well too.

The optimal way to play is on PC with a pad. The 60fps makes it flow much better. But that might not be noticable if you haven't played the older games, I don't know. Go for 360 if you don't have a working gamepad for PC.

Aete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By Aete

I'll probably get it for 360 then. Thanks!

I only have a wireless controller, which might be a bit of trouble to properly hook up to my pc. I've been looking for a reason to use my 360 again though so this is probably a good thing.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I was really hot on this game the past week but playing it today all of a sudden I lost interest in it. I can be like that with games. I think it comes down to the combat not being complex as 3 and 4. Plus the way the enemy design is. Which on SoS mode you rarely get to go nuts with the combat, it is more crowd control. Take out these two with the shield, over here to the Angel enemy, etc.

DMC4 was a game with some serious issues but I beat it multiple times because the combat was solid. I think DmC is a better games but not one that hold my attention as long. Funny how that works.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By musubi

@ImmortalSaiyan: Well that is a shame considering Bloody Palace and Vergil's DLC is hitting soon. Still trucking along myself.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Demoskinos said:

@ImmortalSaiyan: Well that is a shame considering Bloody Palace and Vergil's DLC is hitting soon. Still trucking along myself.

The bloody palace DLC is free, right? That may be what it takes to reel me back in. May be a short break away from the game.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By musubi

@ImmortalSaiyan: Yeah, Bloody Palace is free and apparently beating it nets you the DMC 3 costume or that is at least what speculation is right now.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By donchipotle

I gave it a shot, played through the whole thing and all, but I didn't much care for it. And not because it wasn't like the others or whatever. I agree that some of the levels were pretty nifty (though I hated that night club level something fierce) but the combat never really gripped me. And I never hopped on board the "this is real dumb but I accept that and roll with it" train when it came to the story and characters. The one time I thought that I was coming around was that Bob Barbas fight. But then I had to do that America's Got Talent bit and yeesh.

I dunno. Good on them for trying, I guess? I mean I'll probably see if the inevitable sequel can fare better with me.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By musubi

@DonChipotle: Hmm really? I thought the disco club was aaaaaamazing. But hey, at least you played it unlike so many other people. =)

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Demoskinos said:

@DonChipotle: Hmm really? I thought the disco club was aaaaaamazing. But hey, at least you played it unlike so many other people. =)

If you ask me that stage is easily the highlight of the entire game. Not just in level and visual design but as a whole.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By musubi

So I just now realized something tonight while going back through nephilim to do SSS ranks. When you are in devil trigger elemental enemies take damage from ANY attack. I had one of the blue and red ghost dog things and DT'ed only to find myself hitting both of them with my Aquila attacks I was trying to do on the blue one. Do with this information what you will!

Sanious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By Sanious

Some neat stuff. Ironically the funnest part of it for me is watching this guy do demon/angel dodges.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By musubi

@Sanious: Aquila's buy-in move is great. I never use the air version although that video is a good case for it. I like to do buy-in on the ground as the discs are pulling everyone switch to scythe and do the charge attack with it launching everyone in the air for more combos then come down with the charged fist shockwave attack. Super fun stuff.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.