Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Doom

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 13, 2016

In a world with health regeneration and cover-based systems, one of the longest-running first-person shooter series returns to its brutal, fast-paced roots.

Doom - first impressions (rip and tear)

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

I can safely say that if you respect the FPS genre, buy this game. I know I haven't finished it yet, but I just can't stop thinking about it. And, fyi, the issues I mentioned earlier were fixed with the patch. This game had some love behind it. Again, I find it a bit too easy on default, but luckily you can change the difficulty at anytime.

It's not a perfect game, but I might actually come back to this one over the years like I have Dooms 1 & 2.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This game, you guys.

This FUCKING game.

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

I've never played a game which, in previews, looked boring/generic/a total betrayal of the original source material and the minute I got my hands on it turned out to be FUCKING AMAZING! I really agree with the people who say 'you have to play it to understand why it's so good'. It feels incredible to play.

The shooting is the best i've ever experienced, the re imagining of the enemies is superb and the balance between linearity and open ended exploration/secrets is perfect. They nailed it in my books. Absolutely nailed it!

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@altonbrown said:

Go to the foundry.

Jump in the lava.

You're welcome.

O.K. I guess this game is alright.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

It's a demonic bloodgasm of mutilated corpses and fountains of delicious viscera.

In other words: I fucking LOVE it. Jesus Christ, it is SO GOOD. I don't know how they pulled it off, but id did it. Even if it took them a goddamned eternity and a half, they fucking did it.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#106  Edited By Justin258

This is a very game-y game. If you're someone who has ever really enjoyed simply playing a shooter, then you're probably going to really like or even love this game. If you're someone who occasionally plays a shooter because you think it looks pretty or you want to learn more about the world or the story is what really grabs you, I don't think this game is for you. Just throwing that out there.

Me, personally, I've played a few hours of it and I'm definitely in the "I love it" camp. Almost all shooters these days seem to place the feel of shooting second and the story or the cinematics or whatever else first. There's certainly value in approaching game development from that direction, but you lose a lot of what this Doom has - pure gameplay, and it's excellent.

@cornbredx said:

Having actually played it for a couple hours now I'm not too impressed so far. Something feels off about it, the movement is slow, the melee really throws off the combat momentum in a way that is weird, it isn't scary or creepy at all but tries really hard to pretend it is, the story is awful (why are they even bothering with it?), the combat scenarios feel like arenas and not organic (although verticality and being kind of mobile do help with this it still feels bad- i thought it would help but so far it doesn't as much as I thought it would), the enemies are easy and there aren't very many of them, the enemy placement doesn't really make sense, the controls feel weird (on mouse and keyboard) almost like it was made for playing with a controller, and overall so far it doesn't feel like DOOM for me.

I'm pretty meh on it so far, but we'll see how it goes. My first impressions of this are bad which is a shame because I was so hyped to play this morning I skipped my morning excercise, and I never do that.

In the Gamespot and IGN previews where the developers played it and answered questions, they mentioned two things that got me pretty excited about the game, but seem to be some of the very things that are bumming you out a bit. The first is story - they specifically said it's second to the gameplay. I mean, it's there, but it's a background thing. It's context and that's kind of all they wanted it to be. That makes the presence of a codex kind of puzzling, but whatever. The second is level design - they designed the levels purely with gameplay in mind, and then had their artists and stuff design aesthetics to make it look like a real place, so while I'm really impressed with the level design, you might be wondering who in real life would actually design a facility like this. Basically, they feel like little more than arenas because that's all they are.

As for mouse and keyboard controls not feeling great or the game feeling slow, I just don't see that. Feels great to play to me, and really fast, too. Nowhere near as fast as the old games, sure, but it still feels pretty fast.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@obikwiet: There is always that fear that it won't run well and also I sometimes prefer to sit in front of the big TV instead of at my desk. I kind of should get a new monitor.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#108  Edited By GaspoweR

@cornbredx said:

it isn't scary or creepy at all but tries really hard to pretend it is, the story is awful (why are they even bothering with it?),

I don't feel like it's trying to be scary but I'm guessing Doom 3 might have skewed you towards thinking that way (it does have atmosphere but it leans more on the action if anything and not horror from what I've played) and the story is kind of tongue in cheek in a sense. A dev who previewed the game has said that it's not meant to be taken really seriously, it's just there for flavor or to add a bit of background more or less. This might be one of the cases that you aren't feeling the game or it just might not be for you, which is really understandable.

Also are you playing on Ultra violence? If you're not that might address enemies being too easy for you. Playing on that difficulty forced me to stay moving at all costs. If I stay put I die in seconds.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this the Mad Max: Fury Road of videogames?

ObiKwiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@humanity: It runs great on a i7 920 @ 4.0 ghz and a 980 on ultra settings. Rarely ever drops below 60. No microstutter. Most PC games have disappointed me lately, but this one is solid.

I'm kind of a lapsed PC gamer myself, but I'm really glad I got Doom on PC. It's the definition of a twitch game.

But hey man, you do what you like. The console version will be just as much fun.

Orexis97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heads up, if you're on PC the new drivers make a MASSIVE difference.

Kind of nuts how much of a difference actually, normally I'd be happy with a game getting a 10-20% performance increase and not messing up my system. For the new Doom I went from a fluctuating 40-60fps with high-medium settings to a steady 60+ fps with everything set to ultra! (on a 980m). It's night and day.

I have the same video card. Given how janky the recent drivers have been, I've been hesitant when it comes to updating it. How stable has the new one been for you?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I can't remember the last time there's been so much unanimous excitement about a video game. It's fucking great.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@obikwiet said:

@humanity: It runs great on a i7 920 @ 4.0 ghz and a 980 on ultra settings. Rarely ever drops below 60. No microstutter. Most PC games have disappointed me lately, but this one is solid.

I'm kind of a lapsed PC gamer myself, but I'm really glad I got Doom on PC. It's the definition of a twitch game.

But hey man, you do what you like. The console version will be just as much fun.

I mean uh, on a high on end PC like that yeah I can believe it runs great.

I have a pretty decent PC but an older generation CPU which kinda bottlenecks some stuff sometimes. I'll probably end up getting it on PC though just cause I've heard that it actually runs pretty well on a wide array of configurations.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@orexis97: Haven't had any problems yet since updating, unlike some of the previous versions. I also create a system restore point just before a major update like this just in case.

Technician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am I doing something wrong with my settings or is the sound design in this game awful? I'm getting hit but can't even hear it, I hear enemy screams/noises but not movement, my character is completely silent.

It's even more of a problem in multiplayer, you can't hear anything that you'd want to hear at all. You'll be getting hit and not even notice until too late.

Definitely my biggest problem with this game right now.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Tennmuerti

@technician: Something is up with your sounds, they're definitely there. First thing I'd do is try to validate the files.

ObiKwiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@humanity said:
    @obikwiet said:

I have a pretty decent PC but an older generation CPU which kinda bottlenecks some stuff sometimes. I'll probably end up getting it on PC though just cause I've heard that it actually runs pretty well on a wide array of configurations.

No doubt a 980 helps, but my CPU is as old as dirt (2007). Doom doesn't seem to be CPU limited. Performance will depend on the GPU you have.

RIP AND TEAR! Whatever you decide.

Technician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tennmuerti: I'm on PS4, would I have to re d/l the game? I tried with headphones and my TV speakers and still not hearing most movement, even shooting sounds very muted. Stuff like voices, doors opening sound good though.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316: I have played the first two levels and loved it. My fiancée is away this weekend so I'm going to order pizza and play a lot of Doom.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@technician: Hmm, that's weird especially shooting as it's quite loud, I wouldn't know how to help with this on a PS4, re downloading the whole thing sounds like it could be quite an undertaking, does ID have tech support forums you could refer to?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By csl316

@csl316: I have played the first two levels and loved it. My fiancée is away this weekend so I'm going to order pizza and play a lot of Doom.

I was supposed to go out tonight but naaaahhhh...

Technician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tennmuerti: Well as a sanity check I watched some of the quick look and the sound was basically the same as what I'm hearing, so I think I just have a problem with how they chose to balance/prioritize the sounds. It's not like the sounds themselves are bad, but I don't like how they have mixed them. It's a very personal complaint so maybe "awful" is a bit strong, but this is probably the first time I've reacted so negatively to the sound design in a game like this. Maybe I'll get used to it?

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By OurSin_360

Single player looks real good, multiplayer looks kinda terrible though. I wonder how long the campaign is?

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just finished the main campaign at 10hr 32min and I can say it only gets better and better as it progresses. Some of the combat scenarios are just fucking insane and the bosses are actually surprisingly fun. The ending however is pretty eh, but it alludes to some cool shit down the road.

So I cannot recommend his game enough if you're someone who likes gameplay first and foremost. If you need a story to propel you forward through a game (first why are you even here this is Doom you crazy person) then you should certainly skip this.

I usually never say this, but I hope this game gets some substantial DLC because I just want more. Time to checkout Snapmap.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@baronsamedi: the season pass description on alludes to multiplayer stuff which is a real shame. hopefully the positive reaction to the single player stuff gets them working on an expansion or something

sinjunb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By sinjunb

@baronsamedi said:

Just finished the main campaign at 10hr 32min and I can say it only gets better and better as it progresses. Some of the combat scenarios are just fucking insane and the bosses are actually surprisingly fun. The ending however is pretty eh, but it alludes to some cool shit down the road.

So I cannot recommend his game enough if you're someone who likes gameplay first and foremost. If you need a story to propel you forward through a game (first why are you even here this is Doom you crazy person) then you should certainly skip this.

I usually never say this, but I hope this game gets some substantial DLC because I just want more. Time to checkout Snapmap.

I beat it too. They're 100% planning on a SP DLC / Expansion pack in a year or so if this does well, I guarantee it. Doom 3 and Wolfenstein TNO had it, seems like a no brainer here. My wishlist -

Bump up the scale even bigger, as crazy as that sounds. Non-Boss Cyberdemon's, like having to fight two at a time on a map would be amazing. Bring back the Archvile since that's the only original enemy missing, and some kind of Icon of Sin v2 final boss would be awesome.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By csl316

Planned to beat the first mission tonight. But I couldn't stop for a good 4 hours and even played an hour of multiplayer.

Game's good, man. It's just so damn smooth. I like the fact that this time the tech they're showcasing is purely for the benefit of the gameplay.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baronsamedi: the season pass description on alludes to multiplayer stuff which is a real shame. hopefully the positive reaction to the single player stuff gets them working on an expansion or something

Yea, I'm actually glad single player DLC doesn't seem to be included in on that. It means I don't have to waste the ludicrous $55 it costs here to get the DLC.

@sinjunb said:

I beat it too. They're 100% planning on a SP DLC / Expansion pack in a year or so if this does well, I guarantee it. Doom 3 and Wolfenstein TNO had it, seems like a no brainer here. My wishlist -

An expansion pack method would be ideal. With Wolfenstein and other games like The Witcher 3 I really hope expansion packs become a thing again.

Strangestories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playing on PS4 and one of the end-of-the-level menus straight up broke. It didn't crash but hitting 'x' to continue playing made the button sound but didn't actually do anything.

Had to force close the game and when I loaded it back up it put me at a checkpoint 40 minutes earlier...

EpicReflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#130  Edited By EpicReflex

This game is pretty fucking good you guys

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baronsamedi: An expandalone would make sense like Wolfenstein The Old Blood.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@gundogan: yeah and just make it hell on earth

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Wow this got off to an amazing start. After two chapters I'm super jazzed and can't wait to see what people make with snap map since its so fun to just play.

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

This game is really fucking good.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they make a sequel they should set it on Venus on a giant floating cloud city.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#136  Edited By handlas

I hear nothing but good things but does it hold up over the entire campaign? Watching the QL and GBE play, it looks fun but the shoot, stun, melee was already getting tiresome imo. Are there good set pieces and/or bosses?

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@handlas said:

I hear nothing but good things but does it hold up over the entire campaign? Watching the QL and GBE play, it looks fun but the shoot, stun, melee was already getting tiresome imo. Are there good set pieces and/or bosses?

It manages to maintain a pretty high level throughout. It just keeps getting more over the top and ridiculous in the best possible ways. They actually managed to layer in quite a few mechanics. What the QL showed the only the very, very beginning. No Rune Trials, didn't really touch the weapon or suit upgrades, didn't go nuts looking for secrets, etc.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9d14856890c
    deactivated-5c9d14856890c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Positive impressions on the playdate and quick look broke my resolve. Watching the Steam download progress bar with anticipation now :D

wildpomme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game is so good. The single player is pretty much everything I wanted it to be so far. Hell Knights just started showing up and they make things real tense with how much damage they do.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By ivdamke

@handlas: The QL and Playdate show what seems to be a common misconception with the Glory Kills. At the beginning it seems like that's exactly what the game wants you to do but as the game goes on a couple things change. The first major thing is combat gets too hectic and you generally will miss a lot of chances to go for glory kills, you can stun a demon but he'll be in amongst about 6-7 other demons all of which can kill you quite quickly. The second thing is your weapons start to out scale enemies stagger defenses so the enemies outright die before you even get the chance to Glory Kill.

The other major component of the glory kills that the GB crew didn't notice or really get a chance to display is that the the health reward from a glory kill scales in tiers based on what your current health is. So constantly Glory Killing is actually a waste of time because you'll only get a ~5 health most of the time. Once you get below around 25% health and you perform a Glory Kill enemies will spurt out about ~65-75 health. So Glory Kills are far better used as finishers for big enemies that take a lot of ammo to go down or when you're quite low on health. Using them non-stop is pointless.

As for the bosses and set pieces, there's a few bosses and I'd call 2 of them surprisingly good the final one especially so. One I found a bit lackluster but it wasn't bad by any means. There aren't any set pieces however the game does well to ignore that type of design as it would detract from the constant flow it has.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#141  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@baronsamedi: Interesting info on that last post. I like a lot of how the game looks but shared the feeling the guys had about the melee. Not an issue with watching it, and the shooting looks fun, I was just worried I would be using a simple melee system that amounts to auto-killing a guy all game long. But I am also a guy who can hold off using something annoying in a game if it ruins things (I know others don't do this). I just want to play Doom on Ultraviolence and without the info you provided, it seems like you absolutely need to always melee everyone to stay alive. I may grab this soon after all.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At a technical level this game is pretty damn impressive. I use a 100hz ultrawide (3440x1440) G-Sync display and the game holds around 80fps average on Ultra provided you just stick with TAA on my 980 Ti.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:
    @obikwiet said:

That CPU is nearly 8 years old.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: I'm on ultraviolence and use the glory kills occasionally, but I want to keep moving. Doing a fatality basically stops me and I don't know what the hell sort of situation I'll be in. When it's the end of the fight or a guy is isolated, I'll go and do it.

Unless I'm using a shotgun, though, I'm usually far away and want someone dead immediately. I believe if you don't get there in time they'll get some health back and screw that.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By OurSin_360

Campaign worth 60$? Seems i can't find a good deal online as GMG is out of codes atm. Online looks kinda terrible to me.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One recommendation on PC, add +set m_smooth 0 to the launch options to disable smoothing.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tried to hold off for a while, but the buzz was so positive that I had to eventually buy it for PS4. Really liked what I've played so far. The story doesn't have the charm that The New Order did (for me at least) but it's still hilariously over the top, which I can appreciate. Of course the gameplay's where it's at and the game has definitely delivered on that aspect.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So who's the narrator in the beginning? God?

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@korwin: It is better to set that in your config file (in c:\users\yourusername\saved games) than in the launch options. It might trigger the developer mode which locks you out of online play and can corrupt your save if you continue playing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.