Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Doom

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 13, 2016

In a world with health regeneration and cover-based systems, one of the longest-running first-person shooter series returns to its brutal, fast-paced roots.

Doom - first impressions (rip and tear)

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Holy shit, this might be the best FPS I've played since Doom 1.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

Got to the Hell level on Ultra Violence and this game has now shown me it's not playing around. The first couple of levels were pretty easy in comparison. Really liking the challenge so far.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man this is fun. Never really played any of the old Doom games but this is great. When you walk into a combat arena and the music kicks in it's a great feeling, something about the care free lunacy of it makes me feel like a kid.

JohnTunoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By JohnTunoku

It's exactly the DOOM game I wanted and more. Fast, fun and fucking metal. Shame that it is an absolute dog on AMD cards right now, although I'm told things will get a lot better with Vulkan support which is supposed to happen soon. A driver update would be nice though...

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By OurSin_360

4 and a half hour download.....man i miss my texas internet speeds :-(

I kinda want to try M/Kb with this but my M/Kb are terrible for gaming

Avatar image for tavistavistavis
    tavistavistavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I LOVE THIS GAME!!!!!!!! AAHAHHAHAHHH

WezqApe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They really hit a sweet spot between respecting the old while mixing in more modern stuff. I reeeeaally like this game.

It's exactly the DOOM game I wanted and more. Fast, fun and fucking metal. Shame that it is an absolute dog on AMD cards right now, although I'm told things will get a lot better with Vulkan support which is supposed to happen soon. A driver update would be nice though...

Just curious, what kinds of problems are people having with AMD cards? It's running well on my R9 380 and looks beatiful.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#159  Edited By gundogan

@wezqape: They underperform a bit compared to similar Nvidia cards. Nothing to dramatic, but hopefully a new driver or Vulkan support can even things out.

@mister_v:

Loading Video...

The game is still holding up so far (over half way through I guess). Fantastic experience.

Anyone fiddled around with SnapMap yet? Seems like an awesome tool, but a bit buggy and unpolished. Scripting seems to break without reason and it starts mixing up to which object the script is attached to, making the level unplayable. Also the music doesn't seem to work. So you can make your own metal ripping wave based arena fights with ease (with demonic presence lady voice included), but the music always reverts back to the default non-combat music. :( Found out that the small icon before the big music icon sets the idle or combat variant of the theme you set in the big one. Now my encounters are RIPPING! It's also made with PvP multiplayer in mind. You can make cool singleplayer and co-op levels, but you still have only 2 weapons at a time and you can respawn when you die (and if you die in a lockdown part, you can't enter again unless you script something to the player that it resets the lockdown on death). Also no start-with-pistol option?

It clearly needs a singleplayer option when start making a level.

(whoops deleted this one on accident)

m3ds334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hey so for people who usually prefer to play fps on pc, but for whatever reason are playing on a console what is your impression. I want to get the game on PC but my computer is just not up to snuff and I'm just wondering if I'd feel like I'm missing out by playing with a controller because of the speed of the game.

JohnTunoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By JohnTunoku

@wezqape: fps hovers in the 40-50 range regardless of settings on my 390. Sometimes spiking into the 30s when lava or something is nearby.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@m3ds334: Im playing on a pc with a controller (blasphemy I know) and the speed still feels really good. I also haven't touched any stick sensitivity settings so I'm sure there is even more room to make it feel snappier. Although it will never feel the same as a mouse, it still feels pretty good to me.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#163  Edited By Tennmuerti

Man some of the late game upgrades get kinda nutso.

Fully upgraded turret chaingun (no overheating), inifine ammo from armor rune, plus armor on glory kills rune pretty much guarantees i'm just spitting infinite hot lead at an insane rate all the time.

BFG is ridiculous, it's so OP and so good.

Oh and any glory kill runes apply to the berzerk power up, so with the one that gives you a much longer lung distance it just becomes hilarious as you just mash attack and jump from enemy to enemy ripping everything apart.

Eboria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was gonna put this in spoilers but, comeon....it's fucking DOOM, you know you are going to go Hell eventually.

Just got to Hell, and holy shit has this game been good so far. They really nailed that essential DOOM speed, you really feel like you're zipping through the levels, especially during big fights. And I've got a pretty good graphics card as well, so it looks really good as well. Overall so far, absolutely nothing to complain about!

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I really need to stop visiting this thread until payday. Hype is through the roof.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@wezqape said:

They really hit a sweet spot between respecting the old while mixing in more modern stuff. I reeeeaally like this game.

@johntunoku said:

Just curious, what kinds of problems are people having with AMD cards? It's running well on my R9 380 and looks beatiful.

Fun thing about AMD - I just got the drivers that apparently are updated for Doom, and now I'm getting those microstutters people were talking about in Dark Souls 3 which weren't there at all when I was on the older version of drivers. One foot forward, one foot backward with AMD..

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By OurSin_360

thinking about making a performance thread but maybe this one will be active enough? Anyway

I can't get the game to run borderless fullscreen at any other resolution but 1080p, my monitor is 4k native and all resolutions work fullscreen but borderless it locks to 1080p?? I don't want fullscreen because of the vsync seems to cause a little stutter and without it the screen tearing, bordeless you get tripplebuffering.

gtx980, win 10 64 bit, dual monitor setups(tried disabling main monitor in windows but same issue so far)

Edit* just realized this is opengl? Maybe i can force tripple buffering in the nvidia console, gonna try. I do like getting fps over 60 though :-)

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By gundogan

Hmm SnapMap is proving to be quite addictive too. Spent most of my evening doing that instead of singleplayer or multiplayer. Almost finished making a singleplayer level with 200% player runspeed and 200% monster health and 400% monster damage. It has keys, secrets, ripping metal arena wave encounters, and a boss at the end, so pretty alright I hope.

PlasmaDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

First impression is a really good one for me. The game runs smooth as a baby's butt on max settings (except AA) and the shooting is sublime. Giving health pick-ups for melee kills is a brilliant idea, encouraging you to get in the center of combat. I found two secrets in the first level, thought I was really clever then proceeded to find nothing in the second level. I'm already looking forward to going back and scour previous levels for chibi doomguy toys. I haven't tried multiplayer or snapmap yet, though word on the street says the multiplayer is disappointing.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#170  Edited By newmoneytrash

i tried doing the first level on ultra nightmare for the achievement and holy shit is it hard

i look forward to seeing a full run by some lunatic

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am about midway through level five and just loving this thing to pieces so far. Just a constant adrenaline rush. I really don't know how they managed to capture the feeling of the old game, but update it in fun ways. Consider me impressed.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scientificpizza: I just got that achievement, shit is so intense I was right at the end of the mission and got hit by an energy blast from a Possessed Solider that put me on 3 health. I ran all the way away from that combat scenario back through the level to find some health pickups. It's such a short mission though so it's not so bad, the later missions however I am going to be so amazed at whoever pulls that off first.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been getting a few microstutters here and there with the fps not dropping noticeably(could be vsync issues), but other wise it's running suprisingly smooth at 1440p. Playing with a gamepad and it still feels very tight in single player at least, i think melee is a bit too easy to do at least on normal mode and I definitely see how people could be afraid of it getting monotonous(even if it's not 100% necessary). I really like the tone and combination of semi serious lore building around the complete nonsense of the plot, i'm having a good time reading the enemy descriptions in the codex.

sinjunb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By sinjunb

I can't believe the 7's I'm seeing on some of the early reviews. This is an easy 9 or 10, there literally isn't a single shooter in recent memory that does what this does. Even the "90's throwback" thing doesn't work as the verticality here and map design is absolutely ahead of anything else, it's a legit evolution of the Doom 1/2 formula. Jeff seems to love it judging by his Twitter, which I expected as this game is right up his alley. Maybe he'll do a review.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinjunb: Honestly I pegged this as another Max Payne 3 scenario where there will be several reviews that totally disregard the fact that the game has superb gameplay in favour of whinging about story, cutscenes, presentation with a dash of "this is too violent video games should be better than this."

It will probably be a low mid 80s game if you care about metacritic. Either way I just want more DOOM who gives a fuck about reviewers most of them spout factually incorrect shit in their reviews, just look at the IGN review.

Daveydave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I might have to pop the difficulty down from ultra violence, but part of me doesn't want to. But I don't my frustrations to hinder my enjoyment of the game itself as I really like it.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baronsamedi: ultra nightmare runs and speedruns are going to be so much fun to see. this game is as fun to watch as it is to play for me, which is a pretty rare thing

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@sinjunb said:

I can't believe the 7's I'm seeing on some of the early reviews. This is an easy 9 or 10, there literally isn't a single shooter in recent memory that does what this does. Even the "90's throwback" thing doesn't work as the verticality here and map design is absolutely ahead of anything else, it's a legit evolution of the Doom 1/2 formula. Jeff seems to love it judging by his Twitter, which I expected as this game is right up his alley. Maybe he'll do a review.

I'm not seeing too many reviews on Metacritic.

Guess it's not cinematic enough, I don't know, but it's been a long time since we've had a big-budget, heavily-advertised game like this where literally everything gets out of the way of the excellently-designed gameplay, instead of the gameplay feeling like second fiddle to everything else.

First impression is a really good one for me. The game runs smooth as a baby's butt on max settings (except AA) and the shooting is sublime. Giving health pick-ups for melee kills is a brilliant idea, encouraging you to get in the center of combat. I found two secrets in the first level, thought I was really clever then proceeded to find nothing in the second level. I'm already looking forward to going back and scour previous levels for chibi doomguy toys. I haven't tried multiplayer or snapmap yet, though word on the street says the multiplayer is disappointing.

Multiplayer isn't really bad or anything, it's just kinda generic. It's fast and frantic, but it feels a lot like Halo and has unlocks and loadouts like Call of Duty. Give it a shot, but it's definitely not going to blow anyone away who has played any multiplayer shooter not made by Valve in the past decade.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360 said:

I've been getting a few microstutters here and there with the fps not dropping noticeably(could be vsync issues), but other wise it's running suprisingly smooth at 1440p. Playing with a gamepad and it still feels very tight in single player at least, i think melee is a bit too easy to do at least on normal mode and I definitely see how people could be afraid of it getting monotonous(even if it's not 100% necessary). I really like the tone and combination of semi serious lore building around the complete nonsense of the plot, i'm having a good time reading the enemy descriptions in the codex.

I've been getting microstutters too with my 980 but also noticed other weird issues when trying to fullscreen. I eliminated the fullscreen issues by not using multi monitor for now when playing. For the microstutters I have nvidia default to the game's setting where I turned off vsync to have unlocked framerate. On average I get 75 fps or more with the occasional strange room that drops me down to high 40's (playing at 1440p) Having adaptive kept causing microstutters because it would constantly flick between 59 and 60 for whatever reason. Definitely room for improvement.

@humanity said:
    @wezqape said:

@johntunoku said:

Fun thing about AMD - I just got the drivers that apparently are updated for Doom, and now I'm getting those microstutters people were talking about in Dark Souls 3 which weren't there at all when I was on the older version of drivers. One foot forward, one foot backward with AMD..

You're on AMD so idk but whatever microstutters I had were fixed by turning off vsync and keeping framerate unlocked.

I'm having an insanely good time over here. Really liking going from one quality shooter (Overwatch) to another (Doom) and damn does it look gorgeous despite being dark as fuck (at least not Doom 3 levels of darkness)

I'll just leave this here
    I'll just leave this here

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colourful_hippie: Well just to be clear I was saying the microstutters were happening in Dark Souls 3 as a result of a driver update intended for Doom. Fortunately I am done playing Dark Souls 3 and that game never ran all that great either which was disappointing. I really should have gotten it on PS4 instead, but I assumed since those games never look all that great that I would go for that 60 FPS for once. Nope, and I have a pretty decent PC that handled better games at a smoother framerate. Hell, I could run Witcher 3 with better performance than Dark Soul 3, but hey this ain't the thread for that.

That FOV is downright criminal.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this game is as fun to watch as it is to play for me, which is a pretty rare thing

Yea speedruns should be great, though watching other people to me is entirely dependent on if they've left their FoV at 90 or not. 130 OR BUST!

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By ripelivejam

Wonder what kind of legs snapmap will give it. It's been said but i still find it strange how much they're doubling down on multiplayer; the beta was pretty fun from what i played but didn't seem that special.

Damn, i was about to turn in but now i feel like playing more doom. Surprise hit of the year?

E: im also playing on hurt me plenty and doing the melee kills (which actually don't break the flow at all imo) like a pleb.

sinjunb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By sinjunb

@justin258: I love writing and cinematic storytelling as much as anyone. Witcher 3 and Last of Us are in my top 5 of all time. But that's because they know what they are and execute flawlessly on that. Doom also knows exactly what it is. The story is self aware, hilarious, and pitch perfect. The tone of the entire presentation down to the music and art style just screams polish, like every inch of it was crafted precisely to make you feel like the biggest badass in the history of first person shooters - the unbelievably long development time makes some sense now that I've finished it. The economy of storytelling and atmosphere in this game goes really underlooked because like you said, it's all in service of the outstanding gameplay, but to me that's what tips it into the 9 and 10 score bracket. The multiplayer is completely irrelivant because the campaign in this is worth the $60 alone. I guess it figures that this becomes polarizing in the critical circles, Call of Duty has engrained in people's heads that you have to make shooters a certain way and that tongue in cheek humor needs to wink in a very obvious way for everyone to get it. I've already seen one review of this that actually thought the game took itself seriously.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By ivdamke

E: im also playing on hurt me plenty and doing the melee kills (which actually don't break the flow at all imo) like a pleb.

You sicken me.

As for SnapMap, it needs more modular sets so not everything is set in an industrial lab. It's actually quite in depth for an in-game editor and the way they tutorialise how to use it is borderline genius. Where it still shares issues with every other in-game editor is it's slower and more cumbersome to use than an actual external level editor. I wish there was an external tool, I would totally get back into my Hammer/UE3 days and make shit for it.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, they take half a second. I also think it's really well designed that when you're low on health, you have to run deeper into the carnage rather than behind a wall or something.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There, finished it on nightmare. Brilliant game. One of the best, if not the best singleplayer shooter I've ever played. If they do a good round of bug fixing (crashes mostly, but also scripting failed like one or two times and sometimes the music wouldn't go unless I went to the menu and then back to the game) and some additional support for SnapMap (yo where are my demonic level assests?) and multiplayer this could be one of my favourite games ever.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gundogan: how was nightmare? it looks... aptly named

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Taking my time with it, trying to find the secrets and such, but love it so far. Surprised IGN gave it such a low score honestly, sure the Mp is nothing great but i think the single player is worth the price alone.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gundogan: how was nightmare? it looks... aptly named

Not too bad I would say, especially once you get a decent arsenal*. Keep on moving and you should be alright, dead otherwise. But then again I did play a decent amount of Devil Daggers this year already.

* I feel that the game is a bit too generous with the BFG ammo. I used it a lot and never really ran out.

JohnTunoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justin258: A part of me thinks feelings about the lack of early review copies might've colored impressions of the game. See IGN's current review, which is littered with typos and pretty clearly rushed out the door as soon as possible.

Hope Bethesda doesn't pull similar shenanigans again.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sanity: It must be stressful trying to enjoy a game when you've been tasked with writing a review about it ASAP.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#192  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@baronsamedi said:

@sinjunb: Honestly I pegged this as another Max Payne 3 scenario where there will be several reviews that totally disregard the fact that the game has superb gameplay in favour of whinging about story, cutscenes, presentation with a dash of "this is too violent video games should be better than this."

That is a great call on MP3. Could see this being similar. I was seriously baffled with reviews for MP3 and how the reviewers didn't see the incredible TPS mechanics that game had going for it.

I think the line about the new DOOM not being "transformative" says it all in that IGN review. Nothing worse than when reviewers want a game to be something it's not trying to be. That "this isn't innovative" angle is just tiring. People still like FPS of this style.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: As much as I appreciated Max Payne 3 that was kind of hard game to get into. Once you got the hang of how weight and momentum factored into your dodges that game became a real ballet of bullets and swan dives. They just don't explain any of it at all and in all honesty it took a long time for that to click with me. It's tempting to play it like a cover shooter when that is absolutely not the way it should be played. Once it did "click" I thought it was really good, although mostly I appreciated MP3 for the gritty redemption of Max which I thought was really amazing.

I don't think Doom is nearly as difficult to get a grasp on. I mean you point and shoot and you keep on moving. If you don't like fast paced FPS action then I can see this not being a game for you although I already saw some user comments saying things like "this thing has no story it sucks it's just shooting" which is real unfortunate because thats the double edged sword of trying to appease oldschool fans and newcomers alike - and I think there is a slim cross section where the two meet and are happy with the end product.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@humanity: yeah that's definitely a fair point about how MP3 differs. I also didn't click with MP3 at first because of the weight. I thought it seemed like it was missing out on the fun in the series but in reality the weight made you actually feel fucking amazing when you did the bad ass stuff you used to more routinely do in the old games. I liked the rest too.

They just do remind me of each other because you can see the mechanical polish just glossed over because the reviewer wants the game to be something else. When I play a driving sim like Forza, that's not really my cup of tea but I still see the great execution and mechanics.

I think you're right on Doom as far as its aims. Again, goes back to my point of the "transformative" comment. I think it's that game journalist "we need innovation!" thing that is selectively used for some games and not others. I agree the older FPS stuff DOOM does still have room today.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By Humanity

@artisanbreads: Definitely agree on all points. Reviewers really do pick and choose when iteration is ok and when innovation is more important. Fallout games seem to skirt on iteration all the time while other genres get critiqued for being the same ol' thing.

Concerning Doom I think people with a slightly open mind will be able to find fun in it. You get a lot of folk like Brad or Jeff that feel the need to compare this new game to the old one when it's practically impossible. I mean there is just no way you can re-create the feel of shooting in a sprite based game from 20 years ago. What they've done here is truly, TRULY, admirable in how they married the old with the new in a really perfect balance. Those who say it doesn't feel like Doom because it has runes, and upgrades and it's not walking through a level at 2000 miles per hour.. well I don't know what to tell them. You are never going to get that stuff back, modern games just don't work like that anymore.

Edit: Not to say that Brad and Jeff are wrong or anything, since they're both obviously way into the new Doom. I just mean their skepticism to accept a new version of the old game leading up to release while understandable was also weirdly outdated.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a little past the quick look, do the enemies and environments get more varied?

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I started playing it today and while the game is great fun I'm sorta annoyed by all the challenges and secrets etc. I know I can just ignore them, but because they're so in your face it makes me want to do them, which slows down the game really badly. It also sucks to miss out on all the upgrades etc. Does anyone know if you do absolutely everything, will you overflow points by the end of the game ? or is it just enough, but you can easily get by with just one upgraded mod on each weapon ?

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ares42: There's just enough points/upgrades to get everything if you find absolutely every secret. That being said, there are upgrade items that are placed on the core progression route so players who aren't searching for secrets will get at least 1 mod per weapon and max out I think 3 upgrade trees on your suit.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colourful_hippie: it ran super smooth with borderless fullscreen but the res was always 1080p. Turning on tripple buffering helped some but it still happens, ive even dropped the res to a bit under 1440p. Screen tearing isn't horrible in this game but i still cant stand it.

Avatar image for purplepartyrobot
    PurplePartyRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Started playing on Nightmare after beating the game on Ultra-Violence. Early game can be a bit difficult because of the lack of tools at the start but as the game goes on there's more than enough resources lying around for you to use to complete every major arena encounter so long as you keep moving. In UV I used the super shotgun most of the time and maybe another weapon if the situation called for it. Nightmare is a bit different; I find myself using most of the weapons I have on me while trying to keep enemies at range. There's also some rune combinations with certain weapons which can really break the game's difficulty.

I'd like to give Ultra-Nightmare a shot but the way I keep dying to the environment I'd rather not blow a run because I got crushed by a door. Maybe after a couple patches.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.