Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Doom

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 13, 2016

In a world with health regeneration and cover-based systems, one of the longest-running first-person shooter series returns to its brutal, fast-paced roots.

Doom - first impressions (rip and tear)

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

@gundogan said:

@korwin: It is better to set that in your config file (in c:\users\yourusername\saved games) than in the launch options. It might trigger the developer mode which locks you out of online play and can corrupt your save if you continue playing.

Curious, has this been reported as an issue elsewhere? I saw Dan talking on Twitter he was having the developer mode problem, but did he mention anything about those pre-launch options? I have them in the launch right now and haven't had any issues, but I'm probably only like 4-5 chapters deep.

sinjunb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Started playing on Nightmare after beating the game on Ultra-Violence. Early game can be a bit difficult because of the lack of tools at the start but as the game goes on there's more than enough resources lying around for you to use to complete every major arena encounter so long as you keep moving. In UV I used the super shotgun most of the time and maybe another weapon if the situation called for it. Nightmare is a bit different; I find myself using most of the weapons I have on me while trying to keep enemies at range. There's also some rune combinations with certain weapons which can really break the game's difficulty.

I'd like to give Ultra-Nightmare a shot but the way I keep dying to the environment I'd rather not blow a run because I got crushed by a door. Maybe after a couple patches.

Mastered super shotgun was what I used like 80% of the time once I unlocked it on UV, is that still viable on Nightmare?

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#203  Edited By gundogan

@nickhead: I don't think he did. Might just happen on random. It was running fine for me the first 3 hours or so with luanch options set and then I got hit by it. Backed up my save, removed the game and reinstalled without cloudsaving and launchoptions and it was fine after on the same save. Whatever you do, don't continue when you get the message because that might lock your save in that mode, making online play impossible untill you get rid of that save.

Oh and finished my first SnapMap level. I guess sharing works with codes you can search for them ingame so here is mine: UWL77AL7. Singleplayer level with 200% increased movement speed, but also 200% monster health and 400% monster damage. Nothing amazing in terms of design, but surprised at how easy it is to make somewhat of an okay level.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

The map design is freaking fantastic. I'm blown away at how much fun I have exploring, and how great it feels to hop around the smaller arena chunks. A FOR GOOD JOB

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@gundogan: Cool I'll keep my eye out, I figured choosing No when that option came up would give a chance to manage before continuing.

Also, I am so excited for people to make stuff with Snap Map for the exact things you did. A lot of my time with classic doom was playing custom campaigns where the monsters were in extreme abundance with a ton of health, and plenty of high powered weapons around. It was a blast.

Avatar image for purplepartyrobot
    PurplePartyRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinjunb: I think its a huge risk to use the super shotgun on Nightmare, but still completely viable. Plenty of enemies on Nightmare do a large amount of damage with their melee attack. Even the Possessed do like 40-50 damage on a melee. Still, for close quarters nothing beats the super shotgun. What I've found works well in nightmare is to soften up targets at range before bringing out the super shotgun to finish the job. That way you can just kill them in a couple of shots to their weak spot at most and spend less time circle strafing them at close range. That said, with good positioning and situational awareness running around with the super shotgun 80% of the time is completely viable on Nightmare.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I went from 0 interest to slightly intrigued due to all the people saying it's alright the past few days, to fucking enjoying myself to no end. The game is just fucking amazing. It plays so fast and tight, the weapons are fantastic, the demons are great and pretty fucked up, the secrets are super fun to find, and the story is so "good stupid" i'm just playing with a smile on my face. I just got to chapter 5 and man, it is so damn good.

I did one round of multiplayer to see what it's like and even that was fine. I liked the fast action and almost no respawn time, and it was a nice change from my last FPS multiplayer experience of Halo 5's Warzone, which involved way too much pacing around looking for the fight. The small maps of Doom Multi make the action always near. Between this and Dark Souls 3 it has been a great god damned few weeks of gaming for me.

Also I usually hate video game product type stuff, but I'd totally buy a Doom Marine figure.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So... does anyone not like this game?

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209  Edited By ivdamke

@csl316: The only people I've seen that aren't calling it amazing are reviewers from all sites but Giantbomb, aka terrible people.

Strangestories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really loving it but I've had menus break on me twice now, both times requiring me to forcibly close the game, and I'm maybe halfway through the campaign. This is on PS4.

sinjunb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@takayamasama: I'd totally buy a doomguy figure from this game. Can't believe Beth isn't selling one on the store.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By gundogan

@sinjunb: Can't believe Bethesda isn't selling the soundtrack. Tried ripping it from the gamefiles, but no luck so far. Edit: managed to do that, but since the soundtrack is dynamic based on the player input, you get a lot of small files which need to stitched together.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@csl316 said:

So... does anyone not like this game?

NO!

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

No Caption Provided

This is an attractive video game.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

For the past couple of days I've been watching my friend play and I've been loving every second of it! When the music kicks in after closing a Gore Nest and having to fight waves of baddies is so HYPE! I need to get this game and play it on my own.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For the past couple of days I've been watching my friend play and I've been loving every second of it! When the music kicks in after closing a Gore Nest and having to fight waves of baddies is so HYPE! I need to get this game and play it on my own.

The game is surprisingly fun to watch if the player is good, the flow of the combat loop is so smooth and chains together so well.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@korwin said:
    @monkeyman04 said:

The game is surprisingly fun to watch if the player is good, the flow of the combat loop is so smooth and chains together so well.

I don't know man.. I watched some gameplay over at Polygon and it didn't look like it controlled all that great!

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:
    @korwin said:
    @monkeyman04 said:

I don't know man.. I watched some gameplay over at Polygon and it didn't look like it controlled all that great!

Oh Dear. I mean I don't expect a reviewer to be some eSports god... but there's a limit.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By ivdamke

@korwin: I actually put the 'Gritty' Render setting on and I much prefer it over the vanilla. It clears out the brown post processing filter they have I also jacked up sharpening to 4.0 and I much prefer that too. The features in this game are real great.

In other news I just finished the Knee-Deep in the Dead of Doom 1 again which I haven't played in years and years and that shit still plays fantastic. It's a significantly easier game than Doom 2016 but man I still yearn for that ridiculous sprint speed from the original. Doom 1 needs a speed run mode that has Haste permanently on the player.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@baronsamedi: yeah i wish there was a mode or just straight up cheats that let you mess with that stuff

permanent haste would be incredible

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By OurSin_360

My stutters may have been caused by the taa antialiasing i was usingbut I need to test more. Sucks cause its real good anti aliasing imo.

Im about 3 or 4 hours in but anybody else find the levels way to samey and hard to navigate? I feel like im running through the same area (sometimes with fire) over and over. No real variety at all, its like the old school factory level where every thing looks ths same. Haven't gotten to the hell part yet so maybe it changes up?

chrisjames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johntunoku: Try putting shadows to medium or low. There seems to be a bug with AMD cards and shadows in this game that really kills FPS. I also have a 390 and got an increase between 20 - 40 FPS when I did this. Hopefully a fix comes soon.

cubiclegnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In my case, this is an example of where an open beta may have lost them a sale. Had I not played the beta and waited until release, I would have most likely purchased the game, then invested the time to figure out why it wasn't running well on my machine. My PC isn't the latest and greatest, but it's no slouch. Unfortunately, I couldn't reconcile the poor performance with the quality of graphics I was seeing. It both ran and looked like shit. In all likelihood, I could have resolved the problems in short order, but with updated drivers and zero dollars invested, and a backlog of games miles long, I simply couldn't be bothered.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kein259: AMD released some drivers (16.5.2.1) with DOOM performance improvements for the 390.

ToySoldier83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone have an idea when the vulkan api will be patched in? Apparently it will boost performance.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kein259 said:

@johntunoku: Try putting shadows to medium or low. There seems to be a bug with AMD cards and shadows in this game that really kills FPS. I also have a 390 and got an increase between 20 - 40 FPS when I did this. Hopefully a fix comes soon.

Yeah lol. I'm on a 7970 and thought it was finally seeing its last days when I got 17fps in Doom. Set shadows to low, rest to ultra = 90fps. GUESS IT'LL LAST UNTIL THE NEW AMD CHIPS.

Yes I straight up went from unplayable sub 20 to 90 fps. That shadow bug is real messed up.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After further testing the game seems to stutter at times when characters spawn whether on screen or not. Loweing res and anti aliasing tones it down a bit though.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

My first impression is this...

Within the first 20 or so seconds I disabled my 360 controller in the menu. For the first time in what feels like forever, I'm playing a shooter on PC with a mouse and keyboard as Thor and Odin intended!

To me the game plays like if someone made a single player game that captures the feeling of the flow of combat in the multiplayer of Quake 3 Arena. If that makes any sense? It's rad as hell, but I'm only 2 hours in so I just don't know if it'll stay interesting, but the game does have a strong opening for sure.

I'm jumping around, mantling on stuff, switching weapons, hitting the glory kills, shooting red barrels and basically just making split second decisions and reacting to situations that just arise naturally over the course of the different encounters. Normally I dislike being locked into arena like combat, but it totally works here.

Can't wait to play more.

Strangestories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By Strangestories

In addition to the menus breaking twice requiring me to force-close the game, I had a boss straight up disappear right when it went into its second phase. Reloading to last checkpoint luckily fixed it.

This game is still awesome but holy crud am I having some unfortunate bugs on PS4.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So the singleplayer's obviously great, but how are y'all liking the multiplayer? Better than the beta now that the full game's out?

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pillclinton: The new maps and demons are good fun. The chaingun is hilarious and pretty good up close. The Hellshot and Combat Shotgun are so-so.

Not liking the hack modules that give you 100 armor when you spawn after a death without a kill. That's a bit too much.

But I'm liking it just like I liked the beta. If you disliked the beta, the full game will not change that.

JohnTunoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tobbrobb: Thanks for the tip, worked like a charm.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#234  Edited By Sessh

Just noticed that your Doom Marine does the Terminator 2 thumbs up when you die from falling into lava. I love this stupid game.

Platforming still sucks in this Doom too by the way.

@pillclinton I definitely like it more than the Beta. It's fun for a few matches here or there, but nothing I'll stick with.

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I just found and beat the cyberdemon and I love this goddamn game so much.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game just gets better the more you play it! GOTY

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sessh: Ahhhhh, I noticed the thumbs up and thought it was bizarre, but it didn't click at all!

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, that final boss fight was fantastic.

Also fuck that post-boss scene. I knew it was gonna, but man I hate cliffhangers like that. Wonder if they will do story DLC.

Honest question: Can Doom Guy love?

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sessh said:

Just noticed that your Doom Marine does the Terminator 2 thumbs up when you die from falling into lava. I love this stupid game.

@pillclinton I definitely like it more than the Beta. It's fun for a few matches here or there, but nothing I'll stick with.

Platforming is awful honestly, so far it hasn't been used for much but collectibles but i just got the double jump and it feels terrible trying to land jumps and i still dont' have a good grasp on if i can't make a jump or if i just didn't get the stupid timing down.

Other issues, i feel the world design is pretty generic with a lot of places looking too similar which makes searching for collectibles pretty exhausting(mitigated a lot by the map icons but that honestly makes it less fun to find). Game is starting to feel a bit to easy on hurt me plenty and i play with a gamepad(honestly don't see what people are talking about needing a k/bm for single player? Haven't tried mulitplayer yet but i may give it a shot and see how the gamepad fairs. Anyway it looks and plays like a updated version of an old school shooter, and has both the good and bad that comes with it. Combat is crisp and fun to do, navigating the world is a bit frustrating at times without looking at your map guides, old school simple level design of 'get this key, kill mob, open door'.

I'm still not to the hell part yet though so hopefully that changes something up, but atm i kinda wish they just made a horde mode where i mow down demons for points, as the other stuff feels like a chore.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: The combat gets more involved as you go along. It's gets harder too but that's mitigated by your upgrades. I'm also on ultraviolence so I dunno if less than that remains ezpz. UV isn't super hard either. If you can bump it up to that though, I recommend it.

sinjunb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241  Edited By sinjunb

@sessh said:

The platforming is so basic and minimal here that I don't see it as a problem at all. The movement and jumping feels really good.

Also, let's talk about moments. Spoilers for the end.

Sticking the BFG into the Spider Mastermind's mouth and blowing it to pieces has to be the most satisfying and awesome moment in an FPS since finishing off all those Striders at the end of HL2 E2. Maybe flat out the coolest moment in any FPS, but my memory is bad so maybe someone else can think of other examples.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinjunb: i thought the movement and platforming was a lot of fun and wish there was more of it

the jump and double jump feels really nice and the mantling is pretty generous. the verticality in some

of the combat encounters made them extra satisfying and fun

Technician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just beat the campaign on Ultra Violence and I have 75% of the trophies so I think I'm gonna go for the platinum, seems like a pretty easy one. One of the best games I've played so far this year, definitely gonna show up on my GOTY list (unless the second half of this year is incredible).

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having a ton of fun but definitely glad I started on Ultra-Violence. The encounters just barely seem to be able to keep up with my upgrades as it is. Never really seem to be in that much danger so long as I follow the golden rule of Don't stop for nothin'

Said rule is also the cause of most of my deaths via the strongest demon of all: Gravity.

sinjunb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245  Edited By sinjunb

Started a Nightmare playthrough. Loving the challenge of it but I wish there was some kind of incentive to finish it. No unlocks or even a special cheevo. ?

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinjunb: All training for this:

Loading Video...

sinjunb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gundogan Mind blowing that someone was able to do it already. Nightmare is ridiculously tough, literally a single mistake and you're dead. I died like 4 times on the very first level, imps are a lot more aggressive about throwing fireballs and they do a ton of damage.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248  Edited By ivdamke

@sinjunb: I'm just about to finish up my Nightmare play through, it gets easier as it goes on due to the upgrades. Though there are a couple arenas where I died within a second of the demons spawning. I simply can't get enough of this game.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@sinjunb said:
    @sessh said:

The platforming is so basic and minimal here that I don't see it as a problem at all. The movement and jumping feels really good.

Sure, there's not that much platforming going on and movement in general does feel nice, but I've fallen too my death more often than I like while going for some secrets. Every place you jump to that doesn't have a railing is a terrible death trap.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.