Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age II

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 08, 2011

This sequel to Dragon Age: Origins features faster combat, a new art style, and a brand new, fully voiced main character named Hawke.

I'm a little confused as to why people hate this game

• 104 results
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By jmrwacko

I thought it was brilliant, way more entertaining and visceral than Dragon Age Origins. Then again, I'm from the camp of people that thought Mass Effect 1 sucked and loved Mass Effect 2. I can't understand though why people are saying Dragon Age 2 is Bioware's weakest game. Not that it's a bad game at all, but I'd throw that title to Jade Empire.

Btw, voiced protagonist = yes pl0x. Hated Dragon Age: Origin's silent protagonist, just felt awkward.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By shirogane
    @jmrwacko said:
    "

Not that it's a bad game at all, but I'd throw that title to Jade Empire.

"
    What...Jade Empire was decent. Are you forgetting about the Sonic game that Bioware made?
    ___pocalypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ___pocalypse

I haven't beaten it yet, but I agree with you. I've been having a lot of fun with it and while I don't think it's perfect, I don't really understand the hate. I wasn't a huge fan of Mass Effect 1 either, though I loved (still love) ME2. 

I feel like the voiced protagonist isn't always the best route, but it works for me in DAII. I don't always have the right answer, but I do like having an actual conversation with my party members instead of just staring at them vacantly while they react.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jmrwacko
    @Shirogane said:
    " @jmrwacko said:
    "

Not that it's a bad game at all, but I'd throw that title to Jade Empire.

"
    What...Jade Empire was decent. Are you forgetting about the Sonic game that Bioware made? "
    They made a Sonic game? oh god.
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Enigma777

Most of them are just PC fanboys who are angry about the current trend of consolizing games, especially since Origins was hailed as a beacon to the RPG's of old. 

With that said I do feel like the overall story was weaker and the world was just smaller. Usually you expect the sequels to be bigger and better, and I just didn't get that feeling in DA2 (when referring to the in-game world and levels - the combat is a different story).

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jmrwacko

I thought there was more synergy in regards to how the characters interacted, tbh. Commander Meredith, Enchanter Orsino, and the Grand Cleric were introduced relatively late into the game, but I really liked the character interactions between the three big honchos of Kirkwall and the grand champion. Also, almost every character besides maybe Merrill and Aveline play an important part in the main plot of the game, which you couldn't really say about Dragon Age: Origins. Sure, Alistair and Morrigan played big roles in the stories, but the other characters were sort of subsidiary. I went through the entire first game without even interacting with Sten and Zevran.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By warxsnake

honestly, by the 10th time i revisited each of the 5 different locations, i was like fuck this and lets get this over with. Until then, the combat was the only redeeming factor, and even then, the consequences of using the same locations over and over apparently didn't bring up some red flags @ bioware QC, as large bosses that I would have to fight in the sameass caves would get stuck when I took advantage of the surrounds (large spider cant follow me along stairs so he freezes and I spam ranged, and so on). And I got tired of the same spawn locations used. Oh hey, I'm getting close to a pocket-area, I guess 20 people are going to magically spawn here any time now right? 

The design of the game eradicates any sense of adventure and discovery, finding new things, or coming up/adapting with new strategies, since the exact same tactics you used in the first hours of the game still apply @ the 60th hour. The level design and workflow is a complete 180 from what Mass Effect2 offered. At least in ME2, every quest felt unique in all aspects (location, design, and thus tactics used).  

@Enigma777 said:

" Most of them are just PC fanboys who are angry about the current trend of consolizing games, especially since Origins was hailed as a beacon to the RPG's of old. "  
     Bullshit. 
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By shirogane
    @jmrwacko:
    Sonic Dark Brotherhood is the game. Apparnatly GB isn't letting me make links right now so you'll have to search it. 

I also felt DA2 was a better game in terms of the mechanics and that stuff, mostly, but there were things that did make it feel inferior to DA:O. Especially the story, mainly the end. That whole last act was pretty messed up. 

Aveline does seem to have a pretty big role in the game compared to the other characters. Merrill maybe not so much. But both of them have more important roles than Fenris or Isabella, who you could go through the game without even recruiting if you're unlucky. 

And i felt the dialogue options in this game were baaad. It's like they took the ME wheel, and made it even more vague. Now you don't even know what your character is going to say anymore. Not to mention most of the dialogue didn't feel like it matter what choice you made.
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By wrighteous86
    @jmrwacko said:

"Commander Meredith, Enchanter Orsino, and the Grand Cleric were introduced relatively late into the game, but I really liked the character interactions between the three big honchos of Kirkwall and the grand champion.  "

Yeah the best part was when those deep and interesting characters were thrown out the window to make way for Video Game Boss #1 and Video Game Boss #2. 

And when your interactions with them meant nothing because everything happened the exact same way, regardless.
    Vexed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Vexed

I'm confused as to why people like this game.  It's just one of those polarizing games.  Just be happy that you enjoy it, I wish I could've =)

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Red

It's a flawed game, for sure, but it still offered me 30 hours of RPG-fun, and I'll probably play through it again sometime soon.  
    While on the subject, I'm a little confused as to why people hate Jade Empire. I love Jade Empire.

Liam_mk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Liam_mk

BECAUSE ANDERS IS AN EMO BITCH!!! Other than that and the shitty ending I loved it. Played it twice already. But God, when Anders costume turned black i was so upset. Also the Sonic game Bioware made was excellent!

mr_faraday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By mr_faraday
    @Red said:

"It's a flawed game, for sure, but it still offered me 30 hours of RPG-fun, and I'll probably play through it again sometime soon.  While on the subject, I'm a little confused as to why people hate Jade Empire. I love Jade Empire. "

Me too, i LOVE Jade Empire! Its in my opinion one of the most underrated games of the last 10 years.
    Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Jaktajj

I'm pretty glad people are hating on this game - when I finally get round to playing it I'll probably be expecting it to be shit and end up really enjoying it! >_>

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love it so much so far.  I'm ~7 hours in. 

Kraank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Kraank

I really didn't like it. I didn't really like any of the characters or story, and going thru the same cave/building was kinda dumb. But I played Origins for the story and characters, which is what lacked for me in 2.

Jaize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jaize

'Tis a good game, but the voiced protagonist tends to sound quite cocky. Instead of acknowledging that s/he holds the life and death and the fate of hundreds in their hands, the protagonist sounds like its all a joke. I guess that's the problem with voiced characters, its a hard ballance to hit.   

But weakest game? Not even close. And Jade Empire is, I agree, an unsung great. 

thuiscool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By thuiscool

Haters gonna hate.

I personally liked the art style. Although it makes elves looked more puny, the qunari are awesome looking.

StrawHatLaw13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By StrawHatLaw13

Jade Empire 2 would be nice. 

OT: I think it was how they tried to streamline the combat w/ the "hack n slash"  is what turned some people off.  It's different.  But strategy is still involved.

Deadboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Deadboy

Not enough boob in this game ....  I want bigger boobs. That's why it fails, small boobs.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By owl_of_minerva

The simple answer is that I hate to see action elements in RPGs as the genres come from different sides of the spectrum: action games test reflexes, whereas RPGs are a subset of strategy games. Although good hybrids between the two genres exist I didn't find DA2 to be one of them as the roleplaying felt trivial: character builds were lacking in variety and the story couldn't be meaningfully changed. I wasn't impressed with the condensed story, the characters, the graphics, the PC control scheme, the style change and the reused environments. The game felt cheap and rushed, athough it's probably just as much EA's fault as Bioware's.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FourWude

It's fantasy by the numbers. The generic part is only part of the problem, it's as if Bioware didn't even try. They must have gone through the motions whilst making it. Repetitive characters, locations and a complete lack of diversity. Bioware also managed to strip away the depth in combat from DA1 as well. 

Generic, cliched, by the numbers, lack of variety and depth in the game world.... one thumb down from me.

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By xMP44x

I'm going to have to use the demo to voice my opinion on the game, as I have not played the full title. Considering the praise Origins got, I was curious to see how good the sequel would be. Unfortunately the demo left me incredibly disappointed, as the combat was just button-mashing and I felt no real connection to the characters in it. I know you need to build up a connection to the characters with a large amount of story, but with Mass Effect 2's demo I felt immediately that there was some sort of connection between the characters. Combat proved to be the major turn-off for me, however.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

For the record,i don't hate it because its a bad game, i hate it because its a bad Dragon Age game, imho Origins was much better.

Kiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Kiro

If you can look past the reuse content and horrible ending, Dragon age 2 is pretty good.
    The combat is much better, people who say it lacks the depth of DA1 is kidding themselves. DA1's combat was as deep as a pond.

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By foggel

I was convinced that ME1 was going to suck. Ended up loving the shit out of it. And loved ME2 even more. I also love DA2 as much as DA:O so it does not correlate:3

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#27  Edited By ptys
    @jmrwacko: I played Mass Effect for the first time after having played the sequel twice and think it's an awesome game. Sure two is better but one is still up their with my favourite games of all time. I get annoyed when people completely write it off as that's what deterred me from trying it in the first place. DA2 is growing on me, but finding the leveling up really slow!
    sparklykiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By sparklykiss
    @___pocalypse said:
    " I feel like the voiced protagonist isn't always the best route, but it works for me in DAII. I don't always have the right answer, but I do like having an actual conversation with my party members instead of just staring at them vacantly while they react. "
    Reading this in combination with your avatar is hysterical and creepy at the same time. 

The game has its flaws, but it's still enjoyable. It is really frustrating that pretty much every map is a rehash of the last one, but it does make sense, considering you're the Champion of Kirkwall and such. I do miss the huge world that you get to explore in Origins. (Mostly trying to justify the game because I love Anders just too darn much.)
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jmrwacko
    @Jaize said:

" 'Tis a good game, but the voiced protagonist tends to sound quite cocky. Instead of acknowledging that s/he holds the life and death and the fate of hundreds in their hands, the protagonist sounds like its all a joke. I guess that's the problem with voiced characters, its a hard ballance to hit.    But weakest game? Not even close. And Jade Empire is, I agree, an unsung great.  "

I only mentioned Jade Empire as the weakest title because I enjoyed DA2 more than JE and I've thought every Bioware title is great, so I was really claiming that JE was more the worst of the best, like comparing Porsches to Lamborghinis.

And yeah, I forgot about the Sonic game they made, so I guess my point doesn't hold up anway.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By xyzygy

It's because Bioware took almost every shortcut possible when making this game. Instead of having a really interesting world, they set you down in this lifeless, static city in which NOTHING changes over the course of 10 years. You keep revisiting the same areas over and over, it's one massive backtrack. The story choices you can make are almost irrelevant and they force you into these corners in ridiculous situations.  

These things are unnecessary and just stupid. More development  time was definitely needed to smooth out this rushed game.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CL60
    @xyzygy said:

" It's because Bioware took almost every shortcut possible when making this game. Instead of having a really interesting world, they set you down in this lifeless, static city in which NOTHING changes over the course of 10 years. You keep revisiting the same areas over and over, it's one massive backtrack. The story choices you can make are almost irrelevant and they force you into these corners in ridiculous situations.  

These things are unnecessary and just stupid. More development  time was definitely needed to smooth out this rushed game. "
    Did you not finish the game? 

Plus all of Biowares games have lifeless static cities. It's nothing new when it comes to Bioware.
    FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FreakAche

I'm ignoring the existence of this thread due to OP calling Jade Empire a bad game.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#33  Edited By ThePickle

Haven't played it, but it seems to be what the crazy people say when they say Mass Effect 1 is better than Mass Effect 2. Typical "they dumbed it down" bullshit. 

NickLott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#34  Edited By NickLott

I don't think DAII is a bad game, it just feels incredibly rushed and with an 18 month dev cycle, games composer saying as much  and the amount of issues that it does have, I'm pretty sure it was. 

There's a lot of changes I like about it but there's a lot of thing I prefer in Origins. I think it could have been a great game instead of just a good game if it had more time in the oven. 

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By xyzygy
    @CL60: She didn't for me. Last I seen her was when she took that item. I was nearing full friendship with her too, although her skill wasn't unlocked.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#36  Edited By ajamafalous
    @jmrwacko said:
    " Then again, I'm from the camp of people that thought Mass Effect 1 sucked and loved Mass Effect 2. "
    Well there you go.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By CL60
    @xyzygy said:

" @CL60: She didn't for me. Last I seen her was when she took that item. I was nearing full friendship with her too, although her skill wasn't unlocked. "

Did you do her questioning beliefs quest? If you're friends with her and did that quest she comes back.
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#38  Edited By Undeadpool
    @jmrwacko: They changed major parts of a game (Dragon Age: Origins) that people didn't realize they thought was perfect until the sequel was announced. If that sounds confusing, it's because most of the hate is completely misdirected and non-sensical. There are legitimate gripes to be had, but ultimately it seems like more people are enjoying it than not. It's the whole "silent majority" thing.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By xyzygy
    @CL60: Is that the one where you basically go and talk to her for a bit in the Hanged Man? if so then yeah I did that. I did every single quest that popped up in my journal.
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Undeadpool
    @xyzygy said:

" It's because Bioware took almost every shortcut possible when making this game. Instead of having a really interesting world, they set you down in this lifeless, static city in which NOTHING changes over the course of 10 years. You keep revisiting the same areas over and over, it's one massive backtrack. The story choices you can make are almost irrelevant and they force you into these corners in ridiculous situations.  

These things are unnecessary and just stupid. More development  time was definitely needed to smooth out this rushed game. "
    Maybe they didn't WANT you to be able to make everything all better. Maybe they wanted to show that sometimes bad things happen and you have to react to them. One of the things that pissed me off about Origins was that almost every "difficult" decision (Circle of Magi, Redcliffe, Brecian Forest) that the game presented to you had a way to make everyone happy. Therefore, it wasn't a difficult decision at all. 
    dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By dagas

I just finished it for the third time. I think I liked DA:Origins more (hard to say at this point since it has been a while), but DA2 is certainly not a bad game. I think it's a case of what I like to call FF8 syndrome. Like FF7 was loved and FF8 changed so much that people didn't give it the chance it deserved DA2 is a lot different from Origins. People don't like sequels to be different. That said there certainly are a number of things everyone can agree is bad like the recycling of dungeons etc. 

I'd say it improved on many things, but also made some things worse compared to DA:O.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By DystopiaX
    @dagas said:
    " I just finished it for the third time. I think I liked DA:Origins more (hard to say at this point since it has been a while), but DA2 is certainly not a bad game. I think it's a case of what I like to call FF8 syndrome. Like FF7 was loved and FF8 changed so much that people didn't give it the chance it deserved DA2 is a lot different from Origins. People don't like sequels to be different. That said there certainly are a number of things everyone can agree is bad like the recycling of dungeons etc.  I'd say it improved on many things, but also made some things worse compared to DA:O. "
    I don't think that's necessarily true. I know people who never played Origins, played DA2, and hated it, for many of the reasons people stated here- recycling of dungeons, randomly spawning enemies making tactics/positioning a joke, etc.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#43  Edited By Afroman269

Yay, another DA 2 thread! 

I too also liked Mass Effect 2 more than ME 1 but Dragon Age 2 was just a fucking disappointment. I loved the combat enough that it kept me engaged in playing the game from start to finish but mostly everything else kept stabbing at my love for the game. Lack of variety in environments, no sense of time passing, disjointed story, bullshit endgame. It piles on.  

@Enigma777

said:

" Most of them are just PC fanboys who are angry about the current trend of consolizing games, especially since Origins was hailed as a beacon to the RPG's of old.  

Come on man, you know that statement is full of shit. They were at first because they didn't get their hands on it and were raging over the first videos of gameplay but nearly everyone now, at least on the PC version, can agree that the combat is the same but sped up which is perfectly fine. The lack of tactical view is a downer but nothing to get one's panties in a bunch over. 
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Enigma777
    @Afroman269:  Swing by the Bioware forums. It's chock-full of people complaining about it.
    Avatar image for ravenousrattler
    Ravenousrattler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#45  Edited By Ravenousrattler

oo....jade empire, that game gives me the chills, easily the worst game bioware has made.What i don't understand is why people who gave their #1 spot on best of 2010 to mass effect 2 but somehow dragon age 2 is the worst thing ever.

greenygrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By greenygrey

I don't hate it, I just found it to be a watered down experience compared to Origins. Dragon Age 2 is to Origins, as Invisible War is to Deus Ex. It's good, but not great. This is coming from a guy who prefers Mass Effect 2 over the original Mass Effect, well, marginally.
    Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#47  Edited By Commisar123
    @jmrwacko: 
    I didn't hate it and it wasn't the worst it was just dissapointing follow up to ME2 and DAO
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By xyzygy
    @Undeadpool said:
    " @xyzygy said:

Maybe they didn't WANT you to be able to make everything all better. Maybe they wanted to show that sometimes bad things happen and you have to react to them. One of the things that pissed me off about Origins was that almost every "difficult" decision (Circle of Magi, Redcliffe, Brecian Forest) that the game presented to you had a way to make everyone happy. Therefore, it wasn't a difficult decision at all. 
    "
    Then why even have a choice at all? If Bioware wants the story and choices to be a certain way.... that ruins the whole concept of choice. Which is why I said the "choices" are almost irrelevant.
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Undeadpool
    @xyzygy said:
    " @Undeadpool said:
    " @xyzygy said:

"
    Then why even have a choice at all? If Bioware wants the story and choices to be a certain way.... that ruins the whole concept of choice. Which is why I said the "choices" are almost irrelevant. "
    Because SOME choices do have an impact, in fact a great many of them do, but to me it seems like Bioware was just trying to say "Some things you can change, and some things you can't." I, frankly, loved it. I loved that I couldn't wave my magic Charm/Coercion/Intimidate ability and make everything all better, that you HAD to decide what to do after this horrible thing happened. You couldn't prevent the horrible thing, you just had to decide how to deal with it.
    triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#50  Edited By triple07

No idea. I just finished it and loved it. Sure it has some problems but I can overlook that because it was just a really enjoyable game. I think some of the problems stem from not having enough time so maybe that's what irks people or maybe they don't like change.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.