Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Broodmother (Minor spoilers I guess?)

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Did anyone else find the Broodmother extremely difficult? Haven't seen her mentioned at all, but in my opinion she was the toughest fight in the entire game. She was the only boss I had to switch to easy to beat.

I ended up beating her by standing up the back of the room near where the minions come in. I had my casters as far back as possible, with Sten and Oghram infront tanking the tentacles/minions.

DeviantJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By DeviantJoker
    @Khann:  

Hmm. Did not have this trouble.  Game has yet to been switch off of 'Hard Difficulty'. The first fight I utterly lost - horribly looking over the fact the tentacles were wreaking so much havoc on me. 

Second game loads up and I essentially set everyone to the back. My guys were around 16-18, I believe. Cone of Colds on the Tentacles as they popped up in the back with a combined beat down on them one at a time until they'd disappeared from the back. Next come the minions - tear apart her minions as they'd pop and then move forward at Broodmother and throw offense at her while everything was down. 

Repeated this maybe 3 times and she (and all her saggy teets) flopped to the ground. Minus throwing up a few group heals and the normal heals, there was nothing much else to it. I was actually kind of surprised to see the rather quick difference between the first and second go at it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah, maybe I was just way underlevelled for the fight. I think I fought her around 12-13.. might have been what caused so many issues.

SolemnOaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By SolemnOaf

My first playthrough I did Orzammar right after Redciffe, due to the proximity of Orzammar to New Haven, and I remember the Brood Mother fight being difficult, but not as difficult as some of the dungeon fights had been.  Mostly due to the enemy placements where the last foe you killed would immediately spawn the next mob which was really hard to deal with at level 7 or 8 or whatever it was.  The brood mother seemed suceptible to many of the paralyze-type spells, or stunning attacks, wheras most other bosses weren't.  I had gotten Tempest just in time for the boss fight.  If you can find the time to set one or a couple of AoE spells, the main challenge becomes the strategic positioning your party needs to make sure your archers or mages aren't standing next to any melee attackers. 
    maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By maxszy

I just took down the broodmother today and that ugly (holy shit ugly!) mother.. I had a little trouble with, but I actually got her down on my second attempt. In the end, it was just my main and Alistair (use him as my tank) for the whole second half. I've no idea how I pulled that off. It was awesome though :-P As for level.. I was level 13 so I don't think it was level range. The stuff scales anyway right?

The one fight that I have had to turn it down wasn't even a boss fight, but rather:  (Redcliffe quest line:)

I don't know why, but I for the life of me couldn't get past that part. Bumped the difficulty down just for that, and I got it first try. Since then though, its been tough for sure in parts but I've somehow managed to get through it. :-P
    runrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By runrabbit

Man this boss was awsome, especially how they implemented the voices etc. Really good atmosphere there! I just stood on the rock in the back, melee protect mages from darkspawn and tentacles and range kill her. Some other tactics here: http://www.dragonageinfo.com/bosses/broodmother/    
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By c1337us

I am only just starting out in the game (maybe 6-7 hours) but I haven't run into anything at all I would say is too difficult. In fact I have been waiting for the challenge to amp up a little bit. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Maxszy:

@runrabbit: Yeah that's what I ended up doing.
    Galbrezu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Galbrezu

Beat it on hard second try, first try everything fell apart when the darkspawn adds showed up, and proceeded to turn the fight into a giant clusterfuck. Second try, Kill tentacles, Beat on Broodmother, Kill Darkspawn, repeat.

Having 2 casters with cone of cold helped a lot.

Mangaminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#10  Edited By Mangaminx

Beat this fight by simply casting Blizzard and Inferno on the Brood-Mother and having everyone whack on her with mage healing. Worked pretty well but I was definitely a much higher level at this point.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Rhaknar
    @Khann said:
    " Did anyone else find the Broodmother extremely difficult? Haven't seen her mentioned at all, but in my opinion she was the toughest fight in the entire game. She was the only boss I had to switch to easy to beat.  I ended up beating her by standing up the back of the room near where the minions come in. I had my casters as far back as possible, with Sten and Oghram infront tanking the tentacles/minions. "
    I thought the last boss was much harder, yes, even with the balistas
    Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Teran

I got her my second attempt.  I just moved my fragile characters away when tentacles popped near me and killed all the adds before focusing on her.  I ended up with two waves of darkspawn adds and two sets of tentacles, very easy to do once I saw how the fight worked. 

@Rhaknar: Really?  I thought he was pretty easy... I let shale and my rogue die and just focused my spirit healer on keeping herself and the protagonist up and beat it on my first try.  The ballista actually felt unnecessary to me as I had so many npc allies helping (leaders of all the factions I recruited).  It might have just been I was uniquely specialized to take on that fight.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Rhaknar
    @Teran said:
    " I got her my second attempt.  I just moved my fragile characters away when tentacles popped near me and killed all the adds before focusing on her.  I ended up with two waves of darkspawn adds and two sets of tentacles, very easy to do once I saw how the fight worked. 

@Rhaknar: Really?  I thought he was pretty easy... I let shale and my rogue die and just focused my spirit healer on keeping herself and the protagonist up and beat it on my first try.  The ballista actually felt unnecessary to me as I had so many npc allies helping (leaders of all the factions I recruited).  It might have just been I was uniquely specialized to take on that fight. "
    leaders of the factions? all i could choose was one of the armies to help, and it was just a handful of guys >_> how did you get the leaders

and I was trying to not let anyone die myself, and nobody did :P
    Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Teran
    @Rhaknar: I thought the leaders showed up for everyone.  I played the "Good" guy in the first play through so I had Redcliffe forces, Dalish Elves, Dwarves, and Mages as available armies to help me in the final sequence... there was a fifth slot that was blank which makes me wonder if I missed one somewhere. 

At any rate, when the boss fight started for me, the leaders of each of these armies showed up to lend a hand.  I had Arl Eamon, First Enchanter, and the leader of the Legion of the Dead all helping me out.  I believe there was a second dwarf representative and a elf, but I really can't recall for certain.  I should probably load it back up and double check.  At any rate, these guys seem to be very durable and first enchanter's presence in particular seemed to massively increase mana regen on my spirit healer.  It made a manageable fight extremely easy and the ballista almost felt like a joke... probably put in just to make it more cinematic or just give people an easy out if they don't want to be bothered by a tough fight to see the end, perfectly understandable... I just hope it's more difficult in hard and nightmare.

Just to clarify, difficulty was set to normal for the entire game. 

Oh and another thing, I never called on any of the armies to help me... perhaps that has something to do with it.
    Norbington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Norbington

Had no problem with the brood mother; killed her first time.

Had to turn it down to easy at the end. I am pretty ashamed after playing the rest of the game quite happily on normal :(
    Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Cerza

I found her to be a little overwhelming at first, but I got her down on my first try.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Turambar
    @Teran: 

@Rhaknar:

Not sure if you noticed or not, but during the fight, Earl Eamon will join the fight halfway through.  If you sided with the mages, First Enchanter Irving will join, and the Knight Commander if you sided with the Templars.  The head dwarf of the Legion of the Dead can also be recruited to join via a conversation after you finish the Ozammar quest line.  Not completely sure about the Dalish however.  Lifting the curse didn't seem to net me anyone.
    Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Teran
    @Turambar: I suspected as much regarding the anvil of the void, though do you know if you can still recruit the Legion of the Dead if you choose to preserve it?  I assumed dwarves was a given regardless of which side you chose but the choice actually came down to Branka (or whatever her name was) and golem(s) or the Legion of the Dead leader. 

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jmrwacko
    @Khann: I actually went into that fight with mostly melee dmg and only one mana potion, so it was actually prohibitively hard for me. I managed to beat the fight on my third try with only one character left standing, and then I had to burn all my injury kits so he didn't die on the two remaining adds.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.