Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

How is this not a hustle?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b45500a95f79
    deactivated-5b45500a95f79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I'm sorry but I was originally pro DLC for this, but really...  one quest per DLC...  They were already completed during the game's developement it seems.  Is this really the only way they can make money on games now?  I understand you need to pay voice actors and engineers and all but I don't understand where the cost benefit ratio is balanced.  I posted this on the bioware forum and was shut down after about 3 posts, they informed me that the forums are getting spammed by complaints so I have to post within a topic.
    delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By delta_ass

Caveat Emptor.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No kidding.
    Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Cerza

It's a no win situation with the DLC. Would you rather they wait a month and then release it? If they did that then people would just accuse them of holding out on content that should have been on the disc. DLC has killed the traditional expansion pack so there's not much you can do other than buy it if you like the game enough to buy it, or keep your money and don't buy it. Vote with your wallet that's all it comes down to.

Edit: Do keep in mind that Dragon Age was repeatedly delayed and that has a lot to do with why there is so much DLC available for it at launch. I do see your point, but like I said there isn't much you can do beyond voting with your wallet.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Andorski

When your in such a luxurious hobby... you are bound to get screwed.

SolemnOaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By SolemnOaf

The way DLC has been and is being handled with Dragon Age has made Mass Effect 2 no longer a day-one buy for me.  I'll wait 'till it's $20 or until the 'Complete Collectors Edition' is released. 
    Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Lowbrow

So don't buy it.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ryanwho

I thought GWJ did a good commentary on it. Its like, would this be better if they waited a month so you could pretend it wasn't finished on launch day? I would wager at least half of Fallout's DLC was finished on launch day, that's why they could space the DLC so closely together. It seems like you're mad that they're breaking the illusion you had when most DLC is already complete on launch day. What's more, this game is supposed to be pretty long as-is. Im not being an apologist, but if you think they'll read your feedback and go "okay we'll just include this stuff in the game next time" you're fooling yourself. At best, they'll just wait a month or two so people on the internet don't bitch as much.

RawShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RawShark
    @Andorski said:
    " When your in such a luxurious hobby... you are bound to get screwed. "
    I don't hear this enough. So true.
    Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By Ineedaname

Game was pushed back, so they released DLC on time as it would have been. That's how.

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

#11  Edited By Savage
    @Lowbrow said:
    " So don't buy it. "
    Indeed.  As with anything you might purchase, it's about weighing cost against value.  Does the product cost more than it's worth to you?  If so, you shouldn't buy it.  If not, then it's worth your money.  This is an individual decision, and a lot of factors may often influence it, but this is what it boils down to.
    Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Teran
    @Andorski: Luxurious hobby?  I don't think you understand what a hobby is.  I also don't think you have many if you think video gaming is a "luxurious" hobby.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also believe this business is also flawed.  If I play through this 3 times and they release another quest, I can't see myself starting another character for another armor set and some uber items.  I can however see myself paying 15 - 20 bucks for a new continent or a influx of new NPCs.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Andorski
    @Teran said:
    " @Andorski: Luxurious hobby?  I don't think you understand what a hobby is.  I also don't think you have many if you think video gaming is a "luxurious" hobby. "
    With consoles being around $300, decent gaming PCs being around $700 (I spent an even $1000 on mine last year), retail games ranging from $50-60, good HDTV set-ups running another $1000-2000 (not including getting a sound system), and with electronics having a low resell value... I don't see how it's not an expensive hobby to take part in.
    Gregomasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Gregomasta

Dude, play all 6 story lines, by then maybe DLC will have cheapened.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @Kenobi: You know how its not a hustle? you can still finish the game without doing these missions therefore you don't have to buy them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@StaticFalconar: It is a hustle because this is stuff that should be sold in larger packages.  Such as  3 new characters, new area, 10 armor sets for the price of 15 -20  dollars.   At the rate they are going that amount of features could cost another 50 bucks.  Pay more get less, that's what I'm seeing.

Plus it's what you're saying is like If someone sells you shoes, but then stops you before the register and makes you buy new improved shoe laces that cost 10 bucks while the shoes cost 30, is not a hustle.  You dont have to buy the shoelaces but they try to temp you.  That's a hustle.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @Kenobi said:
    \

Plus it's what you're saying is like If someone sells you shoes, but then stops you before the register and makes you buy new improved shoe laces that cost 10 bucks while the shoes cost 30, is not a hustle.  You dont have to buy the shoelaces but they try to temp you.  That's a hustle. "
    You and I have different definition since being hustled to me is you buy a pair of shoes for 30 but it doesn't come with shoe laces. Worse, the only shoeleaces that work with it cost ten bucks and you have to buy it from them. That is hustled.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@StaticFalconar: That could be a valid interpretation.   To me a hustle is something the you can still get out of, with something.  What you describe as a hustle I think of a straight up con job.  Meaning you get screwed no matter what.  Being hustled is a hardcore pusher or salesman pushing something for illegitimate reasons.
    Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Teran
    @Andorski: Spoken like a man who doesn't go fishing every weekend.  Hobbies come in many shapes and sizes, however video gaming is very cost effective unless you buy a very large number of games.  I'm not made of money myself so I have to pick and choose, Dragon Age over Borderlands for example.  I do however have a gaming PC, a PS3, and an Xbox 360 purchased over several years.  I could make some kind of cost analysis over time I suppose but I know that if I were to go fishing every weekend I'd be spending quite a bit more money over a year.
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Andorski
    @Teran said:

" @Andorski: Spoken like a man who doesn't go fishing every weekend.  Hobbies come in many shapes and sizes, however video gaming is very cost effective unless you buy a very large number of games.  I'm not made of money myself so I have to pick and choose, Dragon Age over Borderlands for example.  I do however have a gaming PC, a PS3, and an Xbox 360 purchased over several years.  I could make some kind of cost analysis over time I suppose but I know that if I were to go fishing every weekend I'd be spending quite a bit more money over a year. "

I fail to see how one hobby being expensive makes another one cheaper.  I can go Jay Leno and make collecting and owning rare cars my hobby, but that doesn't diminish the expenses taken by other recreational activities.

And... are you sure you know about fishing?  One of my summer activities done solely out of boredom takes no more than a rod, bait, fishing line (for when you get tangled), and gas money to Redondo Beach's pier.  Sure, we can talk about real fishing, where you own your own boat, pay for lot space, etc., but I would compare that to having your own theater set-up in the household (pretty common for middle to upper-middle class people in my experience).  So yes... gaming is an expensive hobby that is mainly geared towards those with stable incomes when trying to keep up with the "latest and greatest."
    Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Teran
    @Andorski: I wouldn't try to differentiate between "real" or "fake" fishing so allow me to clarify.  I live near Phoenix, Arizona.  Fishing here requires a bit more effort and cost to do.  Yes I could technically fish in a man made lake in the burbs around Phoenix and significantly cut costs but fishing for me and many others is about more than just catching a fish as I'm sure you know.  It's nice to get away to someplace quiet perhaps with a friend or two and just enjoy your hobby.  To examine the cost of gaming one need only look at the demographics of the average gamer.  Are you sure it is really that expensive?  I suspect that a very large percentage of gamers fall into an age group that is the least likely to be wealthy and least likely to have stable income.

I suppose what I have been trying to say is that all hobbies are leisure activities for the people doing them.  Calling gaming a luxurious hobby is just silly because it implies that there are non-luxurious hobbies which seems a bit like an oxymoron.
    Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By Vorbis

For me, so far I have paid £25 for a 100hour game, compared to the 5hour campaign for £45 in another popular game at the moment I would say thats a pretty good deal.  I will gladly give them more money for extra content.

As people have said, the game was delayed and the game went Gold months ago. What are the programers to do meanwhile? twiddle their thumbs? no, they work on DLC, why not when they still have the voice actors hanging around?

This DLC was just something they could work on for some extra money while they waited for the game to come out, I hope the DLC will be bigger in future but time will tell.

Vigilance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Vigilance

It's not a hustle because they're being very honest about what you're getting. 

Saying "here's our DLC, it's $7 and here's what you get", as long as they're being honest with that, and they have been, it's definitely not a "hustle". 

Just because YOU don't think something is worth the money, does not make it a hustle. 

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By CL60

1 of the DLCs is free if you bought the game new.

Chrion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Chrion

Just think of it as a very high end quality game that cost 70 bucks to buy. And the DLC thats coming soon as the actual DLC

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By dbz1995

If 50 Cent ain't in it, den it ain't no hustle, dawg. You dig?

@Vorbis said:

" For me, so far I have paid £25 for a 100hour game, compared to the 5hour campaign for £45 in another popular game at the moment

DINGDINGDINGDINGDING BOOM POW WHIPCRACK!

I cannot emphasise how awesome this attack is on Dragon Ball Z Raging Blast.
    Sinkwater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Sinkwater

For god's sake, its $7 dollars.  The quest it gives you is fucking awesome.  It's worth it regardless of when it was made or released.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By asurastrike

It's not like the game isn't a full package. Dragon Age is 50 hours long, if you don't want the DLC don't buy it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.