Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

In-game Advertisement...

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Evilsbane

Well I got DA: Origins this weekend and started playing it on the PC Beautiful game when maxed out, I am really digging the story I don't know how they did it but they made a fantasy game fresh. 

But then I got to camp for the first time and a frown hit my face for the first time since I clicked New Game. Dude standing in camp starts talking about a really cool quest about getting his castle back and it sounded great then I saw (Download New Content) What in the Fuck is that, I understand that the DLC has been done for months since the game got delayed and that is ok no problem but here I am soaked up in the world and this crap hits me in the face, I don't know why it bothered me, stuff like billboards and signs don't bother me at all but for some reason this coming up in conversation with an NPC in a fantasy game irked me and really pulled me out of the otherwise fantastic game experience I was having, I know it seems nit-picky but it just really rubbed me the wrong way.

What do you guys think: Characters selling DLC good idea or just odd and out of place?

Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Lowbrow

It was kind of weird, but not really offensive. Although that type of thing could get really old really fast if there was more than one of those situations in the game.

NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By NoXious

I liked it alot, I just had a problem with the dude coming to your camp.

At least here you get the feeling the DLC is actually part of the world.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Evilsbane
    @Lowbrow: Wait this happens again with other NPC's?  *sad face*
    Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Lowbrow
    @Evilsbane said:
    " @Lowbrow: Wait this happens again with other NPC's?  *sad face* "
    No, I dont think it does. That should be the only time in the game where it happens. At least I haven't run into anything else besides that one time.
    HotSauceMagik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HotSauceMagik

I was definitely a bit surprised by it, but I have to admit its a helluva way to get me to buy some DLC.  I'm not gonna buy it because I tend to get bored of these games about once per playthrough.  When you come back everythings new again.  Maybe I'll buy it on my second run.

MikeHaggarKJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MikeHaggarKJ

I don't like it, but considering how massive and fantastic of a game they've created I think it's forgiveable to say at the least.
    I mean there's so much content, sidequests etc even without DLC so the game is already worth more then its price as it is.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Jeffsekai

It was a good way to sell it. Don't know why everyone is freaking out.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Evilsbane
    @Jeffsekai: I just don't like being sold stuff in a game where I know this sounds Nerdy as hell but it breaks the immersion of the world I like to get into a game like this I get really involved with the characters and to have one sell me something in real life just kinda knocks you back into the reality that your just playing a game that wants more of your money.

But this really isn't indicative of the game because it is an amazing game I never got a chance to play Baldurs Gate and the like so this is like a whole new thing for me and I am loving it.
    Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Nate
    @Jeffsekai said:
    "It was a good way to sell it. Don't know why everyone is freaking out. "

I don't think it's reason to "freak out", but I do think it's a pretty bad idea. Evilsbane's original comment that it pulls you out of the immersive game rings true to me. In a good RPG (like DA:O) you get so caught up in the story and world that you forget you are sitting in front of a screen. A little reminder to buy DLC pulls you right out of that world, and that seems kind of lame.
    Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Darkstar614

I enjoyed the Penny-arcade comic about this very issue. It's pretty silly. "It's your family's problem! You by the DLC, then get back to me."

They should have just left that NPC out of the game. It's not like people who want more content aren't going to know about DLC.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By damswedon

wait so thats what that guy does. i had already bought the dlc before then. its kinda dirty.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Vorbis

Didn't bother me at all, thought it was a goodway to setup the DLC rather than just randomly finding a new area on the map. Maybe the Quest icon above his head was pushing it abit...

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By Driadon

I can see why EA would encourage this sort of experimental DLC push as, after all, Bioware doesn't have the best track record when it comes to DLC and a push like this would more likely give the questionable consumer that extra 9 yards needed to buy it. 

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By wefwefasdf

Advertising for DLC should be left out of main game. Have something pop up every once and the while at the title screen? That's fine. Having an NPC talking about it... not okay.
    Shiftshaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Shiftshaper

I just think they shouldve gona all the way and have the guy wearing a hirt with the name of the DLC, and everytime you talk to him he starts this great advertiement speech monkey-island style.
    Metzo_Paino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Metzo_Paino

I didn't mind it. It's a prety clever way non-clunky way to work it into the game, though perhaps he should be in a city somewhere rather than at your camp.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By EvilTwin

I loathed it.  It makes me hate EA and Bioware something fierce.  I'll probably get over it, though.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Evilsbane
    @Shiftshaper: I think that is exactly what I am worried about. In fact its kinda already been done, at least it was in CrimeCrap.
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By Driadon
    @Evilsbane: Except that game failed HARD even with the monthly fee, initial price and the advertising everywhere. It scared away customers and I'm sure publishers would have taken note at that.
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Evilsbane
    @Driadon: We can only hope.
    Madyew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By Madyew

I thought it was pretty clever. I much prefer it over Fallout 3's radio station method. It doesn't feel as disjointed.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23  Edited By Jeust

it felt like virtual prostitution... lol 

Mainly because i just want to see the dlc when i am going to buy it, and not having an npc constantly reminding me of what he has to offer me.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Evilsbane
    @Jeust said:
    " it felt like virtual prostitution... lol"

Actually think about it that is EXACTLY what it was its sitting there lures you in with a quest icon then tells explains why you want to do this and says "Like what you see? Well for only $9.95 you can have all this"
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25  Edited By Jeust
    @Evilsbane said:

" @Jeust said:

" it felt like virtual prostitution... lol"

Actually think about it that is EXACTLY what it was its sitting there lures you in with a quest icon then tells explains why you want to do this and says "Like what you see? Well for only $9.95 you can have all this" "
    Yep... At least they could of made him look pretty!
    ahab88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ahab88

In a way, I kind of like the idea. Have the character tell you this sad story and get you all excited to go on a quest and then make you buy it. It certainly gets you hooked easier than reading a description on the Xbox Live marketplace. At the same time, reading "Download New Content" next to a text option did take me out of the game a little.
    Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By Alphiehyr
    @Evilsbane said:
    " Well I got DA: Origins this weekend and started playing it on the PC Beautiful game when maxed out, I am really digging the story I don't know how they did it but they made a fantasy game fresh.   But then I got to camp for the first time and a frown hit my face for the first time since I clicked New Game. Dude standing in camp starts talking about a really cool quest about getting his castle back and it sounded great then I saw (Download New Content) What in the Fuck is that, I understand that the DLC has been done for months since the game got delayed and that is ok no problem but here I am soaked up in the world and this crap hits me in the face, I don't know why it bothered me, stuff like billboards and signs don't bother me at all but for some reason this coming up in conversation with an NPC in a fantasy game irked me and really pulled me out of the otherwise fantastic game experience I was having, I know it seems nit-picky but it just really rubbed me the wrong way.  What do you guys think: Characters selling DLC good idea or just odd and out of place? "
    Same for Killzone 2. The new patches implemented Killzone 2 DLC advertisements during load times for multiplayer.
    septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28  Edited By septim

Agreed. Dragon Age does such a fantastic job of getting you immersed in the world and the characters it makes this sneaky type of ad seem even more over-the-top obnoxious. 

The only thing we can do is to not buy this content as if you do, get ready to see this in just about every EA game made. I can just imagine Dead Space 2 only being able to buy some weapons with real money or something. Outrageous.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Evilsbane
    @septim:  I don't intend to buy any of for that reason alone regardless of the content being worth it or not I refuse to support those kind of tactics in this type of game.
    Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By Teran
    @Evilsbane said:

Characters selling DLC good idea or just odd and out of place? "

Meh, not a good idea.  Not odd or out of place either though.  I just paid $60 for the game, I don't want to be told the devs want more money before I have really had time to form an opinion of the game.

I personally am slightly against it (though I bought the digital deluxe version and got it all to start) because I don't want to start playing a game and then be reminded I'm really only playing part of the game.  I would say this is a bit innovative but I don't really like it.  On the other hand, the dlc is quite good, one of my favorite parts of the game in 1.5 play throughs.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.