Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

What Do You Think of Bioware's Blatent Disregard For DA:O?

Avatar image for deactivated-65d51c2303ca6
    deactivated-65d51c2303ca6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Is it just because their baby ME:2 is coming out, or do they honestly not care about Dragon Age? The game has been nigh unplayable since the title update that screwed up the specializations and a Bioware employee was quoted saying "They are currently not working on a patch". Yes I know there is a fix to the problem that includes clearing the Xbox 360 cache and reloading an old save, but quite frankly if the company doesn't care enough about it's own broken game, why should I bother? I am extremely disappointed in Bioware. Let's see if they treat Mass Effect 2 the same way. What do you think? Am I overreacting? I just don't understand why you would publicly say that this game is going to have two years of DLC, than not worry about fixing the many bugs in the game.   

Ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Ninja

Well its different teams for alot of that stuff, So you wouldn't think that Mass Effect 2 would have much of an effect on the patching quality of DA:O but I'm not sure.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Ninja:
    True, but you would think a company would want to keep the quality of all of their games as high as possible. 
    Avatar image for the_philosopher
    The_Philosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By The_Philosopher
    @ProlificShadow: 
    Is this only for the 360 version? I haven't had any trouble with the PC version.
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

Bioware makes some glitchy ass games. 

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By End_Boss

Bioware is probably slightly distracted while releasing one of the most hotly anticipated titles of recent years, yes.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Driadon
    @MAN_FLANNEL said:
    " Bioware makes some glitchy ass games.  "
    But they're no Bethesda. 

Separate teams. People can say whatever they want, but knowing Bioware, they'll try to find a fix.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The_Philosopher:
    Yes, I should have specified. This is just the xbox 360 version. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@End_Boss:
    So because you are making a high profile game you can just forget about your "two years of DLC" game? Just leave it broken?
    Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Jams
    @ProlificShadow said:
    "@The_Philosopher:Yes, I should have specified. This is just the xbox 360 version.  "

Oh, I was wondering what you were talking about since I bought the PC version. I too thought they had multiple teams working on these games. Especially since DA:O and ME2 are being released kind of close together. That and aren't Bioware making the Kotor MMO?
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By AndrewB

Once again, PC version here. There was no patch for us (at least, not through Steam), but no sign of DLC, either. Though I do agree with you. And the thing that introduced it in the first place, trying to "fix" specializations so you couldn't "cheat" to get them, is totally unnecessary. It's just a poor gameplay decision. They're trying to lock you down so that you can't play the game how you want to. You've got to rush to the areas that have the class unlocks you need right away when you start a new game, and in some cases, fuck up the storyline and your relationship with characters just to get certain classes.

I like the system the way it is right now. I got all my class unlocking finished on my second playthrough, and now I can start a new game and go with my character the way I want to go. All that matters is that I figured out how to unlock them. Is it necessary to force you to do it every single time? I think it detracts from the game's enjoyment, and I really don't care about keeping "continuity" when I'm playing the game again and again for the simple enjoyment of it. If they "fix" it, I'll simply resort to console commands, if I have to.

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CowMuffins
    @ProlificShadow said:
    " @End_Boss:So because you are making a high profile game you can just forget about your "two years of DLC" game? Just leave it broken? "
    I'm sure they're putting all their teams to work on bugs and other issues in Mass Effect 2. Just like how there were no TF2 updates because they all had to work on L4D2.
    dvdwalker8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#13  Edited By dvdwalker8

http://social.bioware.com/forum/Dragon-Age-Origins/Dragon-Age-Origins-General-Discussion-NO-SPOILERS-ALLOWED/Title-Update-Specialization-issue-and-Return-to-Ostagar-Update-608506-1.html     
    Not sure why it is taking them so long but they are working on a fix for it. Mass Effect 2 coming out so soon after it has probably distracted them a bit. It's a shame because I would like to play more DA but with all the problems they've had I'm just going to stay away from it until they say they have fixed it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AndrewB:
    Not only that, but on the 360 the specializations - A. Don't actually function properly B. are all re-locked once you exit the game. 
    Garden_Ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Garden_Ninja
    @ProlificShadow said:
    " @End_Boss:So because you are making a high profile game you can just forget about your "two years of DLC" game? Just leave it broken? "
    If they've really commited to two years of DLC, I doubt they'll leave it broken.  They are just busy with the release of ME2.  According to your own post, they are working on a patch, so just play something else for a couple weeks.
    Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jams

Oh and DA:O team are probably working on Awakening.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Milkman

I've had zero problems with the PC version. I don't even know what you're talking about.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jams:
    True, but why would you leave your game broken while working on future content for it? 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Garden_Ninja:
    I don't have a problem playing other things, I've got sooo much stuff to play, but I just think it's irresponsible on their part. 
    Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jams
    @ProlificShadow said:
    "@jams:True, but why would you leave your game broken while working on future content for it?  "

I guess they figure that fix you mentioned would be good enough for a while.
    ZmillA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ZmillA

They already have your monies, why should they care?

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#22  Edited By Cerza
    @ProlificShadow: So you can include the fix in the future content, which gives your consumers one more reason to buy it.

Edit: Also, I am on the PC version and haven't encountered any problems. So I don't know what you are complaining about.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By xyzygy

The team that makes Dragon Age is different then the one that makes Mass Effect. So with this knowledge, why the hell would Mass Effect stop them from making a patch? The Dragon Age team is probably busy with Awakening.

L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By L33tfella_H
    @xyzygy said:
    " The team that makes Dragon Age is different then the one that makes Mass Effect. So with this knowledge, why the hell would Mass Effect stop them from making a patch? The Dragon Age team is probably busy with Awakening. "
    Also, the console versions of Dragon Age: Origins aren't done by Bioware to begin with, they're ported by Edge of Reality.
    Garden_Ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Garden_Ninja
    @ProlificShadow said:
    " @Garden_Ninja:I don't have a problem playing other things, I've got sooo much stuff to play, but I just think it's irresponsible on their part.  "
    When was the title update that borked the game?  Unless it was basically just after launch, "irresponsible" is a little extreme.

@Cerza said:
    " @ProlificShadow: So you can include the fix in the future content, which gives your consumers one more reason to buy it.  Edit: Also, I am on the PC version and haven't encountered any problems. So I don't know what you are complaining about. "

Absolutely not.  This is a bug fix, not DLC.  I don't mind paying for DLC, but with patches being as easy as they are, bug fixes should be free.

@L33tfella_H said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    " The team that makes Dragon Age is different then the one that makes Mass Effect. So with this knowledge, why the hell would Mass Effect stop them from making a patch? The Dragon Age team is probably busy with Awakening. "
    Also, the console versions of Dragon Age: Origins aren't done by Bioware to begin with, they're ported by Edge of Reality. "

So it's really Edge of Reality's "Blatant Disregard for DA:O"?  

Personally, I'm a little peeved that BioWare never gave us a title update for Mass Effect to fix the fucking inventory screen.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By xyzygy
    @Garden_Ninja: What was wrong with the inventory screen? 
    skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#27  Edited By skrutop
    @Garden_Ninja said:

" So it's really Edge of Reality's "Blatant Disregard for DA:O"?    Personally, I'm a little peeved that BioWare never gave us a title update for Mass Effect to fix the fucking inventory screen. "

Why would they have done that?  It was inefficient and poorly designed, but it wasn't broken.  As for DA:O, let's assume that Bioware is the company responsible for patching it (which is debatable), and that the DA:O team is working on Mass Effect 2 (also debatable, but that's your assumption in the original post).  So you have limited staff, a bug in Dragon Age, and a highly anticipated Mass Effect 2 that you have to get out of the door.  Which would you choose?
    Garden_Ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Garden_Ninja
    @xyzygy said:
    " @Garden_Ninja: What was wrong with the inventory screen?  " 

Did you play the PC version by chance? Supposedly, they fixed it in the PC version, but In the 360 version, multiple copies of the same item don't stack, and similar items aren't sorted in any meaningful way, and there is no option to auto-equip more powerful version of the same thing.  It wasn't bad with weapons or armor, but it got annoying with weapon and armor upgrades.  So, say you have an assault rifle with Chemical Rounds.  If you want to check if you have Chemical Rounds II, you have to scroll through all ammo upgrades to see if you had them.

@skrutop said:
    " @Garden_Ninja said:

" So it's really Edge of Reality's "Blatant Disregard for DA:O"?    Personally, I'm a little peeved that BioWare never gave us a title update for Mass Effect to fix the fucking inventory screen. "

Why would they have done that?  It was inefficient and poorly designed, but it wasn't broken.
    True, it was functional.  Honestly, the only reason I'm annoyed is that they fixed it in the PC version.  When that came out, I thought sure that they would patch the 360 version also.    Regardless, it's a fairly minor issue, and still a great game. Plus, it looks like ME was a similar issue to Dragon Age, in that someone else did the PC port.

@skrutop said:
     As for DA:O, let's assume that Bioware is the company responsible for patching it (which is debatable), and that the DA:O team is working on Mass Effect 2 (also debatable, but that's your assumption in the original post).  So you have limited staff, a bug in Dragon Age, and a highly anticipated Mass Effect 2 that you have to get out of the door.  Which would you choose? "
    I think this bit is directed at the OP, but in case it isn't, I don't think BioWare is behaving irresponsibly here, and I think the OP is overreacting, hence why I put "Blatant Disregard for DA:O" in scare-quotes.  They should fix it, sure, but just because they are prioritizing ME2 release over a bugfix in DA:O, doesn't mean they have given up on it, or giving gamers the finger.
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29  Edited By Cube

BioWare will try to find a fix, don't worry.

Jiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jiggah

IT'S GETTING A FREAKING EXPANSION PACK...

What blatant disregard are we talking about here?

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#31  Edited By CenturionCajun

I think the putting up and then pulling of the Return to Ostragar DLC a couple of times now should show that they are having some kind of serious issues. I'm sure they are working on it behind the scenes and will release a title update and the DLC as soon as it is functional.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mordukai
    @ProlificShadow: Can you please specify what the problem is. I have the PS3 version and besides the frame rate problem I have not encountered any game glitch that would make this game unplayable for me. 
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By penguindust

Bioware said there would be lots of DLC for the original Mass Effect, too but if turned out to be more difficult than they had perceived.  Not to be a downer, but the game remained littered with defects to this day.  They've learned a lot over the years as witnessed by the DLC currently out for DA:O and the (questionable) day-one DLC for Mass Effect 2.  I sincerely doubt they've forgotten Dragon Age, and I'm sure they're working on it, but these things take time.  They've got a lot on their plate right now with the DA:O expansion one the way.  I think they had to bump "Return to Ostagar" prior to it's release, so they're obviously very busy.  Mass Effect 2 is probably their biggest title of the year, so the front office appears to be focused on that, and maybe they are, but I'd bet the DA:O guys aren't even paying attention to that.  If you think Mass Effect 2 is pulling resources away, then I wonder how you feel about all the assets required to get Star Wars: The Old Republic up and running. I suggest you be patient.  Of course, I'm playing on the PC so things don't appear as catastrophic as they might to you.

mackdaddicus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mackdaddicus
    @ProlificShadow said:
    " Is it just because their baby ME:2 is coming out..."
    Bioware started work on DAO in 2003, if anything would count as their baby it would probably be that. 
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By pause422

No problems at all wit the PC version whatsoever. Game is great.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#36  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Garden_Ninja said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    " @Garden_Ninja: What was wrong with the inventory screen?  " 

Did you play the PC version by chance? Supposedly, they fixed it in the PC version, but In the 360 version, multiple copies of the same item don't stack, and similar items aren't sorted in any meaningful way, and there is no option to auto-equip more powerful version of the same thing.  It wasn't bad with weapons or armor, but it got annoying with weapon and armor upgrades.  So, say you have an assault rifle with Chemical Rounds.  If you want to check if you have Chemical Rounds II, you have to scroll through all ammo upgrades to see if you had them.

@skrutop said:
    " @Garden_Ninja said:

Why would they have done that?  It was inefficient and poorly designed, but it wasn't broken.
    True, it was functional.  Honestly, the only reason I'm annoyed is that they fixed it in the PC version.  When that came out, I thought sure that they would patch the 360 version also.    Regardless, it's a fairly minor issue, and still a great game. Plus, it looks like ME was a similar issue to Dragon Age, in that someone else did the PC port.
    What you described is exactly how the inventory works in the PC version.
    skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#37  Edited By skrutop
    @Garden_Ninja: Yeah, the bit about the staffing and choosing between ME2 and DA:O was directed at the OP.  We have no real idea how those teams are structured, and who is accountable for what.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38  Edited By jakob187

Here's the issue:  BioWare is in charge of patching up the PC version, not the console version.  The console versions were ported by Edge of Reality, so if what I've read is correct, THEY are responsible for patching the console versions.  When it comes down to it, BioWare sees DA:O as a PC game first and foremost, and the consoles merely as a way of making us pay for a bunch of DLC and not get important shit (LIKE THE REDCLIFFE GLITCH) fixed. 

Because of this lack of interest in FIXING their game and instead their focus of PUMPING OUT DLCs AND AN EXPANSION PACK...I sold my copy back and have no intentions of picking up another one until I KNOW that this shit has been fixed. 

@Jiggah said:

" IT'S GETTING A FREAKING EXPANSION PACK...  What blatant disregard are we talking about here? "
    We're talking about the fact that DA:O for the consoles hasn't had a single patch done for it yet, although there are a ton of known glitches and problems in the game...some of which are game-breaking.
    guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By guiseppe
    @ProlificShadow said:

" Is it just because their baby ME:2 is coming out, or do they honestly not care about Dragon Age? The game has been nigh unplayable since the title update that screwed up the specializations and a Bioware employee was quoted saying "They are currently not working on a patch". Yes I know there is a fix to the problem that includes clearing the Xbox 360 cache and reloading an old save, but quite frankly if the company doesn't care enough about it's own broken game, why should I bother? I am extremely disappointed in Bioware. Let's see if they treat Mass Effect 2 the same way. What do you think? Am I overreacting? I just don't understand why you would publicly say that this game is going to have two years of DLC, than not worry about fixing the many bugs in the game.    "

If you go to the Bioware forums a Bioware employee actually states that they are working on a patch and have begun testing one as well. With their new and improved testphase.

"In the meantime, there is good news - a fix is already in test for the 360 issue and looking very good, we hope to have a new update out as soon as possible and will update you as best as we can. If successful through the updated test plans, it will still deliver the expected fixes as well as restore the game saves for anyone affected by this week's title update. For now, we do not have a timeframe for when the fix will pass approval and certification, but we will keep you updated."

- Victor Wachter, Bioware.
    Dragon Age Community Facilitator.

That was written three days ago, so hopefully we'll have a fix soon.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By xyzygy
    @Garden_Ninja: Oh yeah, I see what you mean. I thought you were saying that the inventory system was bugged or glitched, but yes I agree it was very annoying to manage at times.
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @MAN_FLANNEL said:
    " Bioware makes some glitchy ass games.  "
    troll alert ...but wait hang on ....
    No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    Never mind ...
    Garden_Ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Garden_Ninja
    @ajamafalous: Well that's disappointing.  I could have sworn they said they fixed it in the PC version.  I just Googled it, and they did change it, but I can't find anything more specific than it being more "user friendly".  Based on your comment, I guess they made it work nicely with a mouse and keyboard, rather than fix the fundamental problems.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Garden_Ninja said:
    " @ajamafalous: Well that's disappointing.  I could have sworn they said they fixed it in the PC version.  I just Googled it, and they did change it, but I can't find anything more specific than it being more "user friendly".  Based on your comment, I guess they made it work nicely with a mouse and keyboard, rather than fix the fundamental problems. "
    Well, you just double-click to equip an item, but they aren't sorted in any meaningful way, as you mentioned.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#44  Edited By Marz

A full blown expansion is ignorning Dragon Age?

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By endaround

Ok so MS surprises everyone and releases Return to Ostagar without informing anyone.  Bioware is caught unaware and tries to get out the PC version.  The 360 version ends up bugged and pulled.  The number of people who bought in the few hours it was up get specialization bugs that have a workaround.  Bioware is getting  the bug fixed for the actual release.

crunchbitejr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46  Edited By crunchbitejr

"Unplayable" is by far too strong an adjective. You can still play it and  90% of people will not notice.

Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Matfei90
    @ProlificShadow said:
    Wait a month after ME2 rolls out, then you can start saying that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.