Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Why are the graphics so bad?

• 106 results
    torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By torus

The visuals are technically proficient, but the art design is beyond uninspired.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By demontium
    @Geno: Some are touched up (lol like the fallout 3 isn't even a screen, its a touch up) and some are not, yyou need all from the same imaging source. 

Also, DAO is still in development, and the other games are not.
    JammyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53  Edited By JammyJesus

Graphics arguments are for 11 yearolds.
    CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By CoverlessTech

Fucking kids.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By the8bitNacho

Baldur's Gate's graphics sucked.
    Baldur's Gate II's graphics sucked.
    Icewind Dale's graphics sucked. 
    Neverwinter Night's graphics sucked.
    KotOR's graphics sucked.
    Jade Empire's graphics were OK.
    Mass Effect's graphics weren't great.
    Star Wars: The Old Republic's graphics suck.

I think there's something of a trend forming here.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#56  Edited By Claude

Thank god this isn't a Wii thread. Graphics, gameplay... superiority, it's all here.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By CL60

The graphics are bad? News to me, I thought they were alright. Nothing groundbreaking. But they are still good. People have set there standards way to high when it comes to graphics.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#58  Edited By the8bitNacho
    @demontium said:
    " @Geno: Some are touched up (lol like the fallout 3 isn't even a screen, its a touch up) and some are not, yyou need all from the same imaging source.  Also, DAO is still in development, and the other games are not. "
    I'm pretty sure DAO has gone gold.  We're two weeks from release here.
    Ubiquitous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#59  Edited By Ubiquitous
    @MAN_FLANNEL said:
    " @turbomonkey138 said:
    " @Bane said:
    " @MAN_FLANNEL said:
    no "
    @MAN_FLANNEL said:
    no "
    @MAN_FLANNEL said:
    negative "
    I find your contributions to this topic intriguing and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.  Seriously though, nice job with the one word replies that add absolutely zero to the topic. "
    Hmm don't bother mate . If you make a topic that requires thought on GB you get about 30 users who only come on the topic and post shit . Mainly becuase they want extra post count . Its what the influx from others sites to GB did . It brought idiots "
    Yeah and that's why I average 2 posts a day.  Good job. "

uh huh... 15 posts today, 5 posts yesterday. Hast we been decived!? Anyway I just wanted to point out how silly you are.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#60  Edited By Diamond
    @endaround said:
    " The graphics aren't bleeding edge but on the PC they are fine.  New gametrailers vidoes:  http://www.gametrailers.com/video/deathbed-gameplay-dragon-age/58072#      Lighting effects are much better on the PC then what has been seen on consoles. "
    I don't want to be a hater, but what?  The graphics in that video in particular are a joke.

Bioware just isn't as up to snuff with technology, modelling or artists as some other companies, but they're not complete crap at it either.
    NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By NoXious

Thank god the game has some gameplay to make you forget about "horrible graphics"  unlike 99% of the games being pushed out nowadays.

The day graphics make a game fun, is the day gaming officially dies. Or we can all hope gaming becomes a taboo once more!

Tynian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Tynian

I´m a HUGE Bioware fanboy, but i have to admit that the graphics in this game are, well, not spectacular. But this is an RPG, so for me it´s all about the story. And nobody tells a story like Bioware. NOBODY

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#63  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@Bane said: 
    @MAN_FLANNEL said: 
    no "
    @MAN_FLANNEL said: 
    no "
    @MAN_FLANNEL said: 
    negative "
    I find your contributions to this topic intriguing and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.  Seriously though, nice job with the one word replies that add absolutely zero to the topic. "
    Make me lol, why dont you ...

@Lowbrow said: 

" You guys are basing the graphics of a game off of a screenshot of the the xbox 360 version of said game that was recorded with a video recorder, then uploaded to the internet and not in the actual resolution that the game would be displayed in in real life.  Ohrly? "

Good call. 

@Kazona said:     actual size? "

sexy.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#64  Edited By Captain_Insano
    @Kombat said:
    " Baldur's Gate's graphics sucked. Baldur's Gate II's graphics sucked. Icewind Dale's graphics sucked.  Neverwinter Night's graphics sucked. KotOR's graphics sucked. Jade Empire's graphics were OK.Mass Effect's graphics weren't great. Star Wars: The Old Republic's graphics suck.  I think there's something of a trend forming here. "
    yet the majority (if not all of those games) were fucking AWESOME

I don't think DA:O looks that terrible, nor does it look all the mind blowing. I'm not getting a Bioware RPG purely based on graphics
    KimChi4U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By KimChi4U

To be honest, graphics weren't really a huge consideration when I made the decision to get this game. I loved Baldur's Gate and when I heard this would be something in a similar vein, I knew I would pick it up. I was thinking of picking it up for either the PS3 or 360 for either nerd points or nerd trophies but after seeing the 360 QL, I decided that I would get it for the PC. Even though my PC might struggle a little with this game, the thing that really bugged me about the console versions wasn't the graphics... it was the radial menus and the pause mechanics.  Sifting through radial menus in a game that has tons of menus would be tedious and not being able to keep the game paused after choosing an action would drive me crazy. 

I also think this game will drain hours upon hours of time from my life because for some reason I can't explain, this game seems like it'll be refreshing in a "I haven't played a game like this for a while" kind of way.

ToxicAntidote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#66  Edited By ToxicAntidote

First of all, don't judge a game based on the graphics. Second, don't judge the games graphics based on screen shots only. Screen shots are often uploaded with average and/or really bad resolution. Watch some of high definition videos instead and/or play the game with good graphic preferences applied. Only then can you truly see how the graphic is meant to be.

Avatar image for deactivated-663a0c8d9c4fc
    deactivated-663a0c8d9c4fc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The graphics are undeniably less than impressive, and even worse is that the art design is bland to say the least. That said, even if DA:O looked like Uncharted 2 it still wouldn't be for everyone; it all comes down to whether the gameplay is any better than what we've seen in the lame, confused and laughably easy RPG boilerplate Bioware has been churning out since Throne of Bhaal was released (their last decent product if you ask me).

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#68  Edited By Geno

I'm not saying that graphics supersede gameplay, I'm just saying that DAO graphics could be a lot better, and for me personally I think it'll detract from the experience. Epic battles are more than about tactics, they're also about crazy mage spells and well-animated enemies in a well-textured, well-lit/shadowed environment. 

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#69  Edited By Yummylee
    @Geno said:
    "I'm not saying that graphics supersede gameplay, I'm just saying that DAO graphics could be a lot better, and for me personally I think it'll detract from the experience. Epic battles are more than about tactics, they're also about crazy mage spells and well-animated enemies in a well-textured, well-lit/shadowed environment.  "

I think the pause feature is already enough to diminish the epicness of the battles, especially if its needed to be used as often as the previews usually use it.
    Avatar image for deactivated-663a0c8d9c4fc
    deactivated-663a0c8d9c4fc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Abyssfull: Most epic battles I've experienced in games (regardless of platform and the quality of the graphics) have been turn-based or (as in the case of BG) have included a pause function, and there's a good reason for that. Pure realtime combat can never be as large-scale or complex as turn- or pause-based systems, since there's only so much information the player can process at any given moment (especially if he or she controls more than one character at a time). A pause function gives the developers the perfect excuse to throw legions of enemies at the player without creating an overwhelming and unfair situation.
    delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#71  Edited By delta_ass

Pausing feels very artificial to me. In a bad way.

SmithSyndicate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By SmithSyndicate

To those of you bashing the graphics/comparing them to Oblivion: have you used the character creator?  Have you seen actual screens rather than something captured with a camera?  Have you fucking played Oblivion lately?

Even on my laptop, which can't pull off highest graphics, the faces alone in the character creator were better than anything in Oblivion/the humans in Mass Effect.  Not to mention they actually had expressions, which both those games seem to lack.  The voice acting also looks top-notch, which Oblivion can't hold a candle to.

Then once you take into account that the camera isn't always meant to be zoomed in, I think the graphics look pretty damn good for a massive rpg that has what seems to be a lot going on in the screen at all times.

tooPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By tooPrime

This thread looks like it came from System Wars circa 2005. 

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Geno
    @SmithSyndicate said:
    " To those of you bashing the graphics/comparing them to Oblivion: have you used the character creator?  Have you seen actual screens rather than something captured with a camera?  Have you fucking played Oblivion lately?  Even on my laptop, which can't pull off highest graphics, the faces alone in the character creator were better than anything in Oblivion/the humans in Mass Effect.  Not to mention they actually had expressions, which both those games seem to lack.  The voice acting also looks top-notch, which Oblivion can't hold a candle to.  Then once you take into account that the camera isn't always meant to be zoomed in, I think the graphics look pretty damn good for a massive rpg that has what seems to be a lot going on in the screen at all times. "
    I've used the character creator, it was underwhelming to say the least. When you do the talk animation on any character (and  I tried this with 2 different character builds, male and female) their teeth clip through their lips. Clipping also seems to be an issue elsewhere, have you seen their newest trailer? 
    SmithSyndicate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By SmithSyndicate
    @Geno: I can't say I spent much time in it, but to my memory it seemed up to snuff with the likes of Mass Effect, and not terribly far behind Oblivion.  Was this clipping something to do with an odd setting on your character's overbite/underbite slider?  You can get some goofy results from those.

Regarding the newest trailer, I would assume I have seen it but can't recall exactly what you're referring to.  The newest on Giantbomb?  I will search, unless you would be so kind as to link me.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Geno

The overbite/underbite I set to normal standards. Or at least what I perceive to be normal.  

And yeah check out this trailer. Clipping, and a complete lack of character awareness. I'm not sure why they would release this to promote their game:  http://www.gametrailers.com/video/dog-and-dragon-age/58137

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#77  Edited By Willy105

It looks fine. And better because it runs faster on less super powerful game machines.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#78  Edited By KowalskiManDown

Who cares? They're not terrible.

Dustpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#79  Edited By Dustpan

I really don't see a problem with the graphics.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

It's amazing how quickly gamers become spoiled. It looks fine.

Dustpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Dustpan

You totally are comparing this to Crysis.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b65b74e68e3e
    deactivated-5b65b74e68e3e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The graphics are good enough. Mass Effect looked better, but the frame rate was so bad that I couldn't play it anymore . Maybe the lower graphics will give a smooth frame rate. I'll be happy with that.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By FunExplosions

I really hate the blood splattering effect. Everything else is fine with me, though. I'll probably zoom out when I get the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They arn't the best I agree and could use more polish but I'll still be picking this one up.

ITSSEXYTIME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By ITSSEXYTIME

So many people have no idea what they're talking about :/

1. Just because a game is older/newer that does not automatically mean it should be graphically better.  It's all about the engine.

2. You used the most boring ass screenshots of DA you could find and threw them up against some high fidelity shots of other games.  

Included some better ones on the right.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Hitchenson

What? They look fine. Man, some people.

SammydesinasNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By SammydesinasNL

No offense to the people who have been waiting for this for a long time, but couldn't they have waited 6-12 months and release it with the same engine Mass Effect 2 uses?
    Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Teran

Graphics look fine to me.   Half the jpegs in this thread are awful quality, I wouldn't make a judgement call based on that because no matter how good a game looks, if you take a screen shot and then reduce the image quality it's going to look like crap.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#89  Edited By Seppli

I read a review of it in a German PC maginze (Gamestar). They gave it a 9.2.

In one word. A memorable RPG experience. It's the best Bioware game yet. Classic in design and technology. A masterpiece in storytelling and writing. It's essentially Baldur's Gate 2 in perfection.

There is no higher praise than that. 

Dated graphics. Certainly. Memorable game. Yes.

I'm gonna play it 100%. Why wouldn't I? Because of dated graphics... don't be silly.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By turbomonkey138

I didn't think the graphics were bad tbh . I thought they looked rather good .

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Teran
    @Abyssfull said:

I think the pause feature is already enough to diminish the epicness of the battles, especially if its needed to be used as often as the previews usually use it. "
    Yes, battles are much more epic when they spiral out of control because you can't precisely control multiple people at once in real time. 

Oh wait, no they aren't. 

The pause function is exactly what makes the battles in this game epic.  This isn't an action rpg, if you want simplistic fights go play Diablo 2 where you can mow down thousands of creatures by yourself.  I have nothing against Diablo 2, but I prefer my rpg fights to be deep and strategic, not a right click spamfest.
    mhkjtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By mhkjtha

they dont look bad, but not great either. i dont see what the big deal is.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Yummylee
    @Teran said:
    " @Abyssfull said:

I think the pause feature is already enough to diminish the epicness of the battles, especially if its needed to be used as often as the previews usually use it. "
    Yes, battles are much more epic when they spiral out of control because you can't precisely control multiple people at once in real time.  Oh wait, no they aren't.  The pause function is exactly what makes the battles in this game epic.  This isn't an action rpg, if you want simplistic fights go play Diablo 2 where you can mow down thousands of creatures by yourself.  I have nothing against Diablo 2, but I prefer my rpg fights to be deep and strategic, not a right click spamfest. "

Wow, why don't u pull the tree trunk out of your arse before replying, with dragon age origins and the fact that even the music stops is really what tones down the ''epicness'' for me...and don't go try and make me look like some shallow moron who just likes alot of fast paced explosions and sword clashing. I enjoyed the pause feature in the KOTOR games for example, but the battles had a much more strategic slowdown to them rather than anything epic...god i'm really starting to hate that term now.
    Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Teran
    @Abyssfull said: 
    Wow, why don't u pull the tree trunk out of your arse before replying, with dragon age origins and the fact that even the music stops is really what tones down the ''epicness'' for me...and don't go try and make me look like some shallow moron who just likes alot of fast paced explosions and sword clashing. I enjoyed the pause feature in the KOTOR games for example, but the battles had a much more strategic slowdown to them rather than anything epic...god i'm really starting to hate that term now. "
    You're awfully defensive.  I never called anyone a shallow moron, those are your words, not mine.  There's nothing wrong with Diablo 2, it's a fun game.

Music is music, I normally have it turned off after the first few hours of play because it's often not very good and grates on my nerves.  I agree that the kotor fights weren't particularly epic feeling but they were all somewhat small scale.  In Dragon Age I crave complex multilayer fights that challenge players to strategize at a level that simply would not be possible with a full real time system.  Yes you have to pause a lot, every time you need to issue new orders or alter your strategy however this makes for a more epic gameplay experience, not less.
    ITSSEXYTIME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By ITSSEXYTIME
    @SammydesinasNL:

*sigh* No, for several reasons.  The biggest is that changing an engine isn't that simple, and they woudn't be able to support modding.  

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Yummylee
    @Teran:
    Yeah i know you never called me specificaly, a shallow moron. But thats certaintly the impression i got when you assumed that because I think the constant need to pause seriously slows down the pace, that I'm instead into ''simplistic'' RPG's
    endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By endaround

Music does not pause

Figglesworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Figglesworth

This game has been in development for 5+ years  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Age:_Origins#Development  , so It doesn't surprise me that it doesn't have all the bell and whistles of more recent games.  

I personally don't have a problem with the graphics, it just doesn't seem to have any style.

Avatar image for martinvsyolatengo
    martinvsyolatengo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the game looks beatiful in motion. A bit dated on the technical side, true, but nothing the art style, the story and the gameplay doesn't make up to. 

:)

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#100  Edited By ttocs

The graphics aren't that bad...and even if they were, who cares.  It's the gameplay you want and/or the story.  I'll take a great story and gameplay over graphics any day of the week.

I kinda see where you are coming from though, so I can't be all piss and vinegar.  If I had a really nice PC I would want the same, but I do think gameplay and story are more important.  The game isn't out yet so you can't exactly get the final picture until you see the game in action.  Screenshots only go so far.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.