Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Yatzee's take on Dragon Age: Origins

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Jeust

Here it is...

The last reviews from yatzee (this included) have really surprised me, as he said some things with i actually identify with.  

I too played aproximatly twenty five hours (twenty one point something) and am at 15%, and the game really doesn't seem all that remarkable.

But... i can't stop playing to see what happens next.  

It's hard to really find a place on my favourite list to this game.  

But it got to me.

Thoughts about the review/personal criticism of the game? 

Thanks for letting me know about the review  @Apathylad.  
    apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By apathylad

No thanks needed. :P I probably would have gave a brief comment on the video if I read that thread that was posted by the Mods. 
    Anyway, I was hoping Yahtzee would review Modern Warfare 2 since I found his commentary on the story of CoD 4 to be pretty funny, but maybe that will happen next week.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jeust
    @Apathylad:  

Possibly, especially because he's lazy enough to only review it a while after launch. :p
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By mordukai

here we go again. personally I have no idea why he keeps playing video game. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I need my ear drums for another day, therefore I will not be listening : (

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Cube

People still watch/listen to this hack? 

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Cerza
    @Cube said:
    " People still watch/listen to this hack?  "
    exactly what I was gonna say.
    ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ShaneDev

He's getting better cuz some of the more recent ones were pretty poor, but i think its a fair assumption of the game ( i haven't played it) and he seems to enjoy it.  I thought his Uncharted 2 review was spot on for the most part apart  from saying every game looks as good as Uncharted. 

PS I could never understand how people dislike or hate him for his reviews, his opinion is his opinion. 

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#9  Edited By apathylad
    @ShaneDev said:
    " He's getting better cuz some of the more recent ones were pretty poor, but i think its a fair assumption of the game ( i haven't played it) and he seems to enjoy it.  I thought his Uncharted 2 review was spot on for the most part apart  from saying every game looks as good as Uncharted.  PS I could never understand how people dislike or hate him for his reviews, his opinion is his opinion.  "
    I completely agree, especially since he's more of an insult comic along the lines of the Angry Video Game Nerd than a formal journalist. I don't take his reviews that seriously. I really enjoyed his Scribblenauts video since he demonstrated his mastery of the English language.
    nrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By nrain

Love this guy, just put down your fanboy love of a game and let him pick it away into nothing but shit that's been shit before. Incidently I'm one of the guys hunting him down to kill him after the MGS4 review :@

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#11  Edited By delta_ass

I think that was a pretty good review. He said Dragon Age was a cliched fantasy WRPG and indeed... Dragon Age is a cliched fantasy WRPG. About as cliched as a Fantasy WRPG can be, just as a Final Fantasy game is about as cliched as a JRPG can be.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheFreeMan

I haven't played Uncharted 2 or Dragon Age, but I found this one significantly more entertaining and funny than his UC2 review. I also enjoyed the entire contest announcement bit.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By maxszy
    @PeasForFees said:
    " Well, he did play the piece of shit console version anyway "
    Console version is definitely NOT a piece of shit. It may be slightly inferior to the PC version but man, it works and works quite nicely.

As for Yahtzee, he's funny but his types of jokes have just gotten old. He was great when I first heard him but its just kind of rehashing his style over and over again on new games. It gets old eventually.
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By End_Boss

Lots of controversy about this dude. What's so wrong about a guy who spends five minutes railing on a video game (even a beloved one) if it's funny? Are we all taking video games that seriously now?

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jeust
    @End_Boss:  

Suppose that we do... :p
    Vigilance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By Vigilance

I love zero punctuation.  

He's sort of a less coherent version of Jeff.  

I really *really* am tired of gushing reviews.  

Remember when GTA was the best game of all time? When playing it was like watching the Godfather?  

Except now its like a year later and Uncharted 2 is the best game of all time?  

Too many reviews these days seem written like they want to be quoted on the game's website, or on the back of the box.  

Tell me enough to know if I will like a game, write it well, and be funny doing it. 

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By Whisperkill

Yeah I have really gotten to like him recently, some good insight that not many other people want to talk about...
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#19  Edited By Geno

LOL, very interesting review. I should check out more of his stuff. 

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By Milkman

The fact that people still call these "reviews" is just stupid. It's a comedy video, meant to nitpick the small flaws with games and blow them up into a 5 minute video. It's for fun, folks. Stop taking it so seriously.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#21  Edited By ryanwho
    @Mordukai said:
    " here we go again. personally I have no idea why he keeps playing video game.  "
    Me neither. He should just watch movie.
    DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By DanielJW
    @ryanwho said:
    " @Mordukai said:
    " here we go again. personally I have no idea why he keeps playing video game.  "
    Me neither. He should just watch movie. "
    I think he should stick to write book.
    NoDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NoDeath
    @ryanwho said:
    " @Mordukai said:
    I found that far funnier than I probably should have. As for Yahtzee, I still enjoy his reviews. Just don't take them too seriously, they're there for entertainment not purchasing decisions.
    SolemnOaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SolemnOaf

So, does he really not know why there needs to be a distinction between fantasy and dark fantasy, or is pretending to be stupid part of his bit now?
    thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By thatfrood
    @SolemnOaf: is saying that isn't dark fantasy. is just regular fantasy.
    SolemnOaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SolemnOaf
    @ThatFrood:
    Uh, no.  Fantasy when applied to fiction takes on an entirely different meaning by itself than when denoted with the term 'dark'.  If you can't figure that, then come speak to me again when you're out of elementary school.
    Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By Vorbis

I like his "reviews" about games i'm not fond of, but with a game like this he has the habit of pointing out things I don't want to see.

MrKart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MrKart
    @DanielJW said:
    " @ryanwho said:
    " @Mordukai said:
    I think he should stick to write book. "

Perhaps he should just listen to music. 
    Damn, combo breaker. 

It is nice to see his reviews having a bit more truth to them lately--there was a long stretch where it was obvious that his opinions were blown way up to try and create humor and amusement out of it, only for it to backfire and sound like mindless complaining. Now he's at least believable.
    Rio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Rio

Um ok do you people actually take everything he says seriously? Do you guys not get the point of what he does?  I find that amusing.  

Edit: some of you I should say.

Vigilance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Vigilance
    @Rio said:
    " Um ok do you people actually take everything he says seriously? Do you guys not get the point of what he does?  I find that amusing. "
    Yeah. This shows that many people take game reviews way too seriously.  

Zero Punctuation is clearly about the comedy first. He is not there to provide you with a sober analysis of the pro's and con's of a game. 

That said, I can usually tell if I'll like a game from his rants, which I suppose is the main job of a review. 
    MrKart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MrKart
    @Rio said:
    "Um ok do you people actually take everything he says seriously? Do you guys not get the point of what he does?  I find that amusing. "

It's not a matter of not getting what he does, it's the fact that HE doesn't even seem to get the point of what he does. If he's just there to satirize games and make fun of them through images and such, then why does he sway back and forth incessantly between purposefully blowing things out of the water for comedic effect and legitimately critiquing the game he's talking about. I don't know, it's hard to explain, but with, for instance, James Rolfe (AVGN) he has an established character with a clearer (at least in my opinion) persona of "my suckiness at this game leads to my anger leads to me nitpicking at the littlest of details." Yahtzee seems completely random and unfounded though in what he's trying to be, and if that's the direction that he's trying to head in with his reviews, that's fine. But I just think that a big reason why a lot of people aren't fans is simply because he can't make up his mind about whether he's doing humor for the sake of humor, or if he's trying to openly critique the sensitive areas of certain games, or a combination of both or what.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@End_Boss said:
    " Lots of controversy about this dude. What's so wrong about a guy who spends five minutes railing on a video game (even a beloved one) if it's funny? Are we all taking video games that seriously now? "
    Well the problem I have isn't about him dissing a game, I don't give two shits about that, I just can't stand listening to him, as soon as he opens his mouth I have to exit out of the video before my ear drums slide clean out of my head.
    Rio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Rio
    @MrKart: And some people, like yourself, over analyze things a bit much.  I think the general point behind his "reviews" are quite clear, whether or not you cant tell if hes a confused individual or otherwise.  Hes taking the obvious points of the game and describing them in the most negative way he can think of, while at the same time dropping hints toward how he actually feels about the game.  Some hints are more obvious than others (such as this video).  Thats about as much depth as he requires.  I'm not saying he is an analytical genius that requires various theories to dismember his craft.  Hes just trying to be entertaining in a very obvious way.  So when I see anyone take him serious I find it quite amusing. 

edit: I said obvious too much. And I didnt mean to sound insulting when saying you over analyzed, kinda came out that way though.
    delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#34  Edited By delta_ass

He shat on some aspects of the game but still admitted that he was going to keep playing it. For Yahtzee, that's about as glowing of a review as he's likely to give.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.