Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Duke Nukem Forever

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Jun 14, 2011

After approximately fourteen years of development, the heavily infamous sequel to Duke Nukem 3D was finally released, in which the macho Duke must damper yet another alien invasion.

2K's PR Responds About Intent to Withhold Games From Reviewers

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By hatking

If you're unaware of what has happened with the Redner Group in response to the tepid reviews of Duke Nukem Forever, I suggest checking out this  blog post by DrDarkStryfe. 

I decided to take it upon myself to email Jim Redner himself with my concerns for the gaming industry and his part in what it has become.   

Hello,

I'm an avid video game fan.  I've enjoyed playing them since the day my father took me to a garage sale and bought me a NES back in the early 90's.

After a few years I became a fan of the FPS genre.  I used to stay at my mom's office after school and play Doom 2 on her work computer - I didn't own a computer that could handle the game at the time.

In my early twenties my father, once again, played a role in my love of this industry by taking me to the local GameStop and buying me an Xbox 360 for a late Christmas gift.

It's safe to say that as a life long lover of this medium I am both saddened and upset by the methods that certain companies implore just for the sake of money.

I'll be honest, I've never heard of your company prior to the recent posts on Twitter that I've seen.  However, I can say, if that is the way you wish to conduct business, that you are a part of the problem.

I beg of you.  Please do not take the actions you threatened in your aforementioned posts (holding review copies of games from reviewers based on perceived "venomous" remarks).  These actions are a part of the larger problem that is killing the fun for future generations.  

I understand that it can be difficult to see something you've spent so much time with be disliked to this degree, but as an aspiring writer I can assure you that there is nothing you're going to be able to do to make people love something outside of hard work and a little luck.  It pains me to have to explain such obvious things to people who are controlling an industry I love, but if my words bring forth the true feelings of the gaming community, then it was not in vain.

Further, I can assure you that these actions are only going to cause more harm than good for your future endeavors.  I imagine as a public relations group you're familiar with how these knee-jerk negative reactions can destroy the face of a company.

I'm only one voice, but I represent a community of millions.  Do not work against the industry we love.  Do not be a part of the problem.  Do not make an industry built on having fun all about making money.

Sincerely

I had doubted that my email would have ever been read by the man much less responded to.  However, much to my surprise, when I checked my email this morning there was a response from Jim Redner himself. 

I agree with your statement completely.

I was acting immature. I was hurt by the reviews on a project that I poured my heart into. I cannot begin to convey how disappointed I am in myself.

I hope that you will not look down on 2K, because I acted on my own behalf.

I suspect that I will be out of an industry that I love and have loved ever since I owned Intellivision.

Thank you for your response.

Best wishes,

Jim Redner

The Redner Group, LLC.

What do you guys think?  Should his actions be forgiven as something done on impulse?  Or should he be accountable for his words?

I for one am willing to move on and forgive.  I know that I've said things in haste before that I immediately regretted.  I believe its only human, and that forgiving such actions would show a maturity in the gaming community that isn't really present anywhere else. 

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Dany

Remember when emails were between two people and not the public?

Yeah, we know, he apologized on twitter for being a dumbass

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By hatking
    @Dany said:

Not everybody has a twitter account.  Further, this is a video game website where video game things are discussed.  I don't get your issue.
    TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By TheHT

He poured his heart into Duke Nukem Forever? Yeesh.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By mfpantst

PS- 2k has tweeted that Redner or whatever no longer represents any 2k product.  I guess he's  not got balls of steel then.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By pweidman

That result should have been expected and is correct imo.

However, gotta admit that I feel for that guy. If he's sincere, then hopefully he finds work in some other niche in the industry that fits his personality better.

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By beej

@Lucidlife: You've clearly gotten to the heart of the issue here! Fuck what we were actually trying to discuss we have unfounded accusations to make! Also why is your avatar that motorcycle? Do you own it? I bet you're trying to make us all jealous, by showing how totally cool you are or something.

@HatKing: I'm willing to forgive the guy, he seems to be sincere about apologizing, people talk before they think all the time. It's not an excuse, but it certainly makes me empathize with him since I know that he's aware of what he did wrong.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By hatking
    @beej: I agree.  I feel bad for him because it seems 2K can't afford to take the negative publicity and they let him go.  Hopefully he can find work somewhere else and let these events serve as a reminder to not allow frustration to control him.
    apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By apathylad

This sums up how I feel about this whole mess:

No Caption Provided

Yes, Redner should have never written that stuff, but really, angry people say all sorts of stupid things.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By hatking
    @TheHT said:
    He poured his heart into Duke Nukem Forever? Yeesh.
    I was wondering about that bit too.  I wonder if he was the PR guy attached to the game since the beginning.  If so he should be given an award for even maintaining the slightest bit of interest in the game that has been in the dark for so long.
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Slaker117

Twitter, enabling your own stupidity since 2006!

A single person should never operate a company held Twitter account alone.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By mracoon

I do feel sorry for him but he crossed the line and suffered the consequences. Clearly it was a heat of the moment thing but it's his job to keep a good image and unfortunately for him he didn't.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By delta_ass

I'm pretty sure tons of people could throw stones.

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By phish09

I think that game companies should get rid of these PR firms in general.  They add no value to a game from a consumer perspective and really they just increase the cost of games for us.  

I'm not about to hang this one PR guy out to dry, but I think that the less PR people in this industry in general, the better off games will become.

ApolloBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By ApolloBob

I'm just amazed that when people are upset and in reactive mode they are compelled to rush to twitter.  Sit down and take a few breaths for chrissake - drink some water - get off the damn computer.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Enigma777

As a PR practitioner, all I can say is: "He dun goofed!"

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By MEATBALL

It was a hotheaded threat. An immature reaction. Very unprofessional. But it was largely just a symptom of the fact that we constantly have access to a platform to publicly vent before we've had any time to cool down or reconsider our immediate, often completely dumb, thought process. While it's a worrying glimpse into a darker side of the industry's PR process, Redner is clearly apologetic for his comment and seems fully aware that such actions wouldn't be right. Honestly, I hope his mistake doesn't keep him from being able to find any other work in the industry.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Three0neFive

I suspect that I will be out of an industry that I love and have loved ever since I owned Intellivision.

Y'know, at first I was like "fuck this guy, what a conceited asshole". Then I saw this and now I kinda feel bad for him. :(

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By chilibean_3

Dude seems to be genuinely sincere in his apology. He fucked up real bad and is going to feel the deserved consequences but at least he really does seem to be sorry about it.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By Binman88
    @HatKing said:
    @Dany said:

Not everybody has a twitter account.  Further, this is a video game website where video game things are discussed.  I don't get your issue.
    So reference the twitter apology instead, is what @Dany was getting at I guess. Was there no privacy/confidentiality declaration at the foot of his email? Maybe he doesn't have a problem with it, and a lot of people wouldn't, but I'd have asked permission before posting a private email. Just the way I see it.

As for the discussion, I don't really care about what he said. Forgive and move on. Not important enough to dwell upon.
    mattbosten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mattbosten

I can understand why the person involved had the reaction he did seeing the game he's 'put his heart and soul into' tanking in terms of review scores (I imagine it'll sell fine as a curiosity piece) but you can't bring your emotions to the working environment. I think the main issue with his comments were the threat to restrict access to review copies of games to publications who featured 'poisoned' reviews and that forced 2K's hand in terms of dropping them. I think another tweet from Justin McElroy nailed this on the head - "Also, please tell me you understand the only unusual thing Rednerdid was admit the blacklisting publicaly".

No matter who you are, you have to be careful what you say online when you're attaching your name/company to what you're saying.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By bybeach

Said he was sorry. I don't need his skin, much as I didn't like the threat. One thing I do notice, the GB staff are continually buying games for QL and reviews.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By beforet

@ApolloBob said:

I'm just amazed that when people are upset and in reactive mode they are compelled to rush to twitter. Sit down and take a few breaths for chrissake - drink some water - get off the damn computer.

The thing is, Twitter is really easy to use without thinking about what you're writing. Like how it's really easy to say something stupid in a conversation when you're not thinking about what you're saying. The guy probably wasn't near his computer; he most likely made that tweet from his phone.

ApolloBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ApolloBob
    @Beforet said:

@ApolloBob said:

I'm just amazed that when people are upset and in reactive mode they are compelled to rush to twitter. Sit down and take a few breaths for chrissake - drink some water - get off the damn computer.

The thing is, Twitter is really easy to use without thinking about what you're writing. Like how it's really easy to say something stupid in a conversation when you're not thinking about what you're saying. The guy probably wasn't near his computer; he most likely made that tweet from his phone.

Oof - yeah you'll have to forgive me - I'm still a dinosaur rocking a plain old cell phone.  I perpetually forget everyone has the internet in their hands now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.