Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Duke Nukem Forever

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Jun 14, 2011

After approximately fourteen years of development, the heavily infamous sequel to Duke Nukem 3D was finally released, in which the macho Duke must damper yet another alien invasion.

Dallas news shows Duke Nukem to a rape crisis centre

• 57 results
    Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Rayfield

Kidnapping women and slapping them too-- is it okay if it's in a video game made for adults? A Plano company is in the hot seat as their upcoming release gains national attention for what some say is sexism. Video game enthusiasts have been waiting 12 years for a new Duke Nukem video game to hit the market. One is due in just a couple months and some of the content is already raising questions.

It's only the trailer she's watching, but still Jana Barker can't believe her eyes. She says the images she's seeing only help perpetuate a culture of violence against women.

" We're never going to be able to stop it, as long as these kinds of games, are put in the hands of the public," said Dallas Area Rape Crisis Center Executive Director Jana Barker.

Barker heads up the Dallas Area Rape Crisis Center. She's talking about the new 'Duke Nukem Forever' game. The game is made in Plano by a company called Gearbox. Its June release is highly anticipated.

""People have been waiting for this game for a long time," said Video Gaming Personality Patrick Scott Patterson.

Patterson is a record holding gaming pro who says there is always controversy when a new M-rated game comes out. He says they're not for children and that's the point.

"It really boils down to the parents being responsible and making sure that their children are not playing these games," said Paterson.

But Barker says the game shouldn't suitable for anybody. It reportedly has a feature called "Capture The Babe" mode where users have to kidnap and slap women. Barker says behaviors like that are carried out in real life when people become too de-sensitized,

"Is this how you want your mother, your sister, your daughter to be treated. Is this the message you want to bring to people that this is how you treat women?" said Barker.

Patterson says if it bothers you -- don't buy or play it. He says people are to quick to cast stones.

"They're probably going to be judging the game without ever actually playing or seeing the content that they're complaining about," he said.

Barker says she's seen enough to call for boycott. She doesn't think it belongs on the market.

"If you really believe in violence against women and stopping it and changing our society's view towards women, you have to do it," said Barker.

The one thing Barker and Patterson did agree on is that controversy sure does sell.

We reached out to Gearbox repeatedly for an interview. Nobody got back to us.      

http://www.the33tv.com/news/kdaf-duke-nukem-sexist-video-game-controversy-story,0,2891098.story    
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Andorski

I chuckled every time I read about how gamers have been waiting to play this game.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JJOR64

Wait a second...  This isn't Fox News?

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Blow it out your ass

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By BraveToaster

Those ladies deserve an uppercut.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#6  Edited By LordAndrew

Kidnapping women?

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Rockanomics

Professional journalism-ho! Cookie-day?

Garfield518

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Garfield518

I'm enjoying the comments more than the article.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By ch13696

I can kidnap women and beat them in this game. Oh, Duke Nukem. You never fail to make me happy. =p

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FCKSNAP

Aw they beat me to it! Except I was gonna show Heavy Rain to some parents of a lost child.

Maybe it should be Limbo? "See? This right there, your son could also be getting stabbed in the chest by a giant spider!"

Ishatawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ishatawk

Among the ads on the right side of the article:  Tramp Stamps! Cheerleaders ranked by attractiveness! Hot girls stretching suggestively! Gigantic tits! Asses! 

Good job, guys.

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FCKSNAP
    @Ishatawk said:
    " Among the ads on the right side of the article:  Tramp Stamps! Cheerleaders ranked by attractiveness! Hot girls stretching suggestively! Gigantic tits! Asses!  Good job, guys. "

No Caption Provided
    Tasteful reporting.
    sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By sameeeeam
    @Rayfield: I missed your gratuitous use of the caps lock button.
    Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Lemoncookie01

Why won't someone think of the children?!!

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Rayfield

Comments are indeed hilarz.  

teremist at 8:52 AM March 31, 2011

The last thing we need is another venue that demeans women and portrays them as objects to be abused. The very people who are most susceptable to accepting the message that it is somehow okay and macho to abuse women, are the very ones that will buy this game. THAT is the point. Our society is saturated with these subtle messages, from a variety of sources, that imply doing harm to women is not only OKAY, but what a macho guy has every right to do. From rude "jokes," to TV, movies, and video, these types of portrayals increase the acceptance (and implied approval,) of violence against women. The number of women and little girls who are the victims in real life , has risen to the level of a super epidemic. (Check the FBI stats for yourself.) Anyone who has a woman or female child in their life that they cherish, ought to email a protest to gearbox, and refuse to purchase ANY of their wares.    

UnoHoo at 11:32 PM March 30, 2011

What ADULT plays GAMES anyway?!  People are 'children' a lot longer these days; this company is just trying to capitalize on that fact.  NO true parent would let their kids have access to garbage anyway.  You can't be 'cool' and be a GOOD parent.  I had access to video games when I was a BOY, but grew out of it; I learned to get outside & play sports; MUCH more satisfying.    

I especially like the second one. Is there a hidden message? ADULT GAMES NO GOOD BOY MUCH

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I hope someday I can be quoted as a Video Gaming Personality in a news story.

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Rayfield
    @Snapstacle: 

BREAKING NEWS FROM OUR DALLAS AFFLIATES: GUESS WHO'S MOTHERFUCKING ASSETS UP IN THIS BITCH? MORE ASS IN YO FACE AT 11 DAWG.
    MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MisterChief

Eat shit and die.

Avatar image for shadowknight508
    ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By ShadowKnight508
    @JJOR64 said:
    " Wait a second...  This isn't Fox News? "
    Agreed...surprised to see this TV station pick up the story before FOX News takes it and goes nuts with it.
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By scarace360
    @shadowknight508 said:
    " @JJOR64 said:
    " Wait a second...  This isn't Fox News? "
    Agreed...surprised to see this TV station pick up the story before FOX News takes it and goes nuts with it. "
    So was she a gold star mother also cause if not her opinion is invalid
    McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By McGhee

If a boycott of this game does become popular, I may buy it just to say "fuck you". And I've never played a Duke Nukem game.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Read this...then saw this 

No Caption Provided
    RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RobotHamster

Looks like someone doesn't have any gum.

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Toxin066
    @President_Barackbar said:
    " Blow it out your ass "
    That about sums it up.
    Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Rayfield
    @SuperfluousMoniker said:

"I hope someday I can be quoted as a Video Gaming Personality in a news story. "

Patrick Scott Patterson was the 'gaming expert' they contacted for a quote. Found his blog. Here's his version of events... 

Before I could write a full take on how Fox News presented Duke Nukem Forever, I received a telephone call.  It came yesterday afternoon from a reporter from The33 News, the local CW affiliate.  They wanted a "gaming expert" they could talk to about this upcoming game release, and I agreed to the interview.

Please watch the report before reading on by clicking here and then read on.

The local news story uses the phrase "smacking a woman around for a while" which is clearly only feeding off of Fox's overblown view of the topic.  They got comments from me in what looks to be an attempt to be a counterpoint from a woman who heads up a Dallas-area rape crisis center. 

This was not disclosed to me prior to my interview.  I was under the impression they had spoken to Gearbox Software, the studio producing the game, as well, but the story only featured a shot of the outside of their Plano headquarters and a statement that nobody from the company returned their calls.

I stand by the comments I made that actually made the airwaves.  It is the parent's responsibility to keep such gaming content out of the hands of their kids, and for those adults who find it offensive, it's their right to simply avoid playing or purchasing the game.

What bothers me is what they left out.  The story aired the opinions of the Dallas woman calling for a boycott of the game by airing her statement that "behaviors like that are carried out in real life when people become too de-sensitized."

I made a statement that could have acted as a direct counterpoint to that claim that was not used in the story, as I was asked a question that used that exact wording.

"There are just as many studies that show that people with violent tendencies are drawn to those kinds of games, rather than the games themselves being the cause of violent behavior," I said to the reporter, "but the media never seems to report on those studies as much as the ones that claim they cause it."

I suppose my statement proves itself here, as sure enough the story allowed someone to claim the game could/would/can cause a person to act in such a manner while the counterpoint that disagrees with it wasn't included.

Bottom line, I've played video games for 30 years this year.  Not once has any game ever caused me to act out anything within them.  My police record contains nothing more than an unpaid traffic ticket going across my lifetime.  Anyone who would act violently because they played a video game was already the type of person who would act that way regardless, and anyone claiming such a game could trigger such behaviors is misinformed.

My website saw a small bump in traffic since the story aired, mostly locally, and all from search engine searches.  Some have resulted in e-mails from people who take me as "defending the content of the game" or "seeing no problem with violence against women" and other such comments.

Perhaps this is a result of my edited comments, but I assure you that I don't support nor am defending anything.  I think any man that would strike or abuse a woman is the scum of the earth and something I have zero tolerance to even hear about.  The idea that my statements about a video game could or would possibly mean I have no issue with something like that is insulting.

I simply do not feel that Duke Nukem Forever will or could be the root cause of such behavior.  It's over-the-top and quite sexist.  I grant that.  I also note that it's no worse than countless films, television shows and even past video game releases going back to the 1980s.  Search for Leisure Suit Larry or Custer's Revenge in the same search engines you used to find my website.

The only thing this controversy is sure to do is sell the game, thereby exposing more people to the very content that some are objecting to.  Good job on the boycott, which I'm sure will double the pre-orders of the game. 

We live in a world where too many people blame entertainment or other people for the choices that people make.  Duke Nukem Forever is not going to bring out anything in anyone that doesn't already have it, nor is any other video game.  If the time that's used coming up with scapegoats was used instead to help stop those people, it would go a lot further.

Anyone wishing to speak with me about the topic can visit my website at www.PatrickScottPatterson.com or e-mail me directly at psp@patrickscottpatterson.com.

DEFENDING VIDEO GAMES TO IDIOT REPORTERS AND HANGING OUT WITH OLIVIA MUNN. DUDE MUST BE DOING SOMETHING RIGHT.
    DEFENDING VIDEO GAMES TO IDIOT REPORTERS AND HANGING OUT WITH OLIVIA MUNN. DUDE MUST BE DOING SOMETHING RIGHT.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Example1013
    @Rayfield: Dude should sue the newspaper for defamation of character or libel or whatever they call it in Texas. He'd probably have success, both in court and in the realm of actual good journalism.
    landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By landon

It's shit like this that makes me wonder what's the point of college.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@example1013 said:
    " @Rayfield: Dude should sue the newspaper for defamation of character or libel or whatever they call it in Texas. He'd probably have success, both in court and in the realm of actual good journalism. "
    They didn't actively attempt to defame his character, and taking something someone says out of context is hardly illegal, just look at film advertisements.
    Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Example1013
    @President_Barackbar said:
    " @example1013 said:
    " @Rayfield: Dude should sue the newspaper for defamation of character or libel or whatever they call it in Texas. He'd probably have success, both in court and in the realm of actual good journalism. "
    They didn't actively attempt to defame his character, and taking something someone says out of context is hardly illegal, just look at film advertisements. "
    Well, it usually wouldn't be, but I'd say he at least has a little bit of a case. If he's now being personally attacked for the out-of-context quotes, he might be able to say something. This is especially true because he could probably claim himself a private figure, which would work in his favor.
    chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By chrissedoff
    @example1013: you must  not be from america. fox has gone to court to defend their right to lie in news reports as freedom of speech. i'd say the odds of this guy even trying to sue are at one in ten thousand and his odds of winning such a lawsuit at about one in a trillion.
    Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Example1013
    @chrissedoff said:
    " @example1013: you must  not be from america. fox has gone to court to defend their right to lie in news reports as freedom of speech. i'd say the odds of this guy even trying to sue are at one in ten thousand and his odds of winning such a lawsuit at about one in a trillion. "
    People who make it on national television are generally considered "public figures", if only by nature of the fact that they've been on national television. The laws apply differently between public figures and private figures, and private figures get much better libel protection. I'd say this guy could probably make a convincing argument that he's a private figure, meaning he'd have a much better chance of winning than anyone who's ever been on Fox can dream of in a libel suit.
    GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By GalacticPunt

Oh those old news media fear-mongers.  First Mass  Effect is dubbed a "rape simulator" because it had slow-mo, consensual, boring, missionary sex scenes.  Now this story is written in such a way that just about anyone who reads it will think Duke is slapping women in the face.  Even I thought that until I saw the Penny Arcade strip.  Slapping women in the face is a horrible act, and would be truly offensive as a game mode.  Playfully slapping their asses is fine, that's just Duke's idea of foreplay...

*Puts on sunglasses*
    "Deal with it.  And shake it, Baby."

pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By pwnasaurus
    @Rayfield: hey rayfield i just wanted to say i really missed these posts and your dripping sarcasm its nice to have you back.
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DystopiaX
    @example1013 said:
    " @President_Barackbar said:
    " @example1013 said:
    They didn't actively attempt to defame his character, and taking something someone says out of context is hardly illegal, just look at film advertisements. "
    Well, it usually wouldn't be, but I'd say he at least has a little bit of a case. If he's now being personally attacked for the out-of-context quotes, he might be able to say something. This is especially true because he could probably claim himself a private figure, which would work in his favor. "
    No, because to prove libel you have to prove without a doubt that this person absolutely ruined your life to the degree that you'll never be able to live normally again. They can say all that they want, and since he even admits that they did quote him directly, just out of context, he doesn't have a case at all. It sucks, but libel is something that's incredibly hard to prove and win successfully, and something that a lot of people like to throw out because it gets taught in every constitution class. What's not taught is how rarely it's able to be used.
    Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Example1013
    @DystopiaX said:
    " @example1013 said:
    " @example1013 said:
    Well, it usually wouldn't be, but I'd say he at least has a little bit of a case. If he's now being personally attacked for the out-of-context quotes, he might be able to say something. This is especially true because he could probably claim himself a private figure, which would work in his favor. "
    No, because to prove libel you have to prove without a doubt that this person absolutely ruined your life to the degree that you'll never be able to live normally again. They can say all that they want, and since he even admits that they did quote him directly, just out of context, he doesn't have a case at all. It sucks, but libel is something that's incredibly hard to prove and win successfully, and something that a lot of people like to throw out because it gets taught in every constitution class. What's not taught is how rarely it's able to be used. "
    Doesn't mean he can't sue, though. 

I WILL NEVER GIVE UP!
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By DystopiaX
    @example1013 said:
    " @DystopiaX said:
    " @example1013 said:
    " @example1013 said:
    No, because to prove libel you have to prove without a doubt that this person absolutely ruined your life to the degree that you'll never be able to live normally again. They can say all that they want, and since he even admits that they did quote him directly, just out of context, he doesn't have a case at all. It sucks, but libel is something that's incredibly hard to prove and win successfully, and something that a lot of people like to throw out because it gets taught in every constitution class. What's not taught is how rarely it's able to be used. "
    Doesn't mean he can't sue, though.  I WILL NEVER GIVE UP! "
    Of course he can sue. you could sue anyone. I could sue you for disagreeing with me on the internet. Doesn't mean he'll win.
    Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Example1013
    @DystopiaX said:
    " @example1013 said:
    " @DystopiaX said:
    " @example1013 said:
    " @example1013 said:
    Doesn't mean he can't sue, though.  I WILL NEVER GIVE UP! "
    Of course he can sue. you could sue anyone. I could sue you for disagreeing with me on the internet. Doesn't mean he'll win. "
    Yeah I've basically just kept posting for no rational reason. I realized I lost 3 posts ago, but, fuck it, it's not like I didn't give it the old college try.
    GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By GalacticPunt
    @example1013:  Conceding a point on the internet?!?  It's an April Fool's Miracle!
    Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Example1013
    @GalacticPunt: I do this all the time...when I think I'm wrong. (one could discover that this has happened all of 3 times on these boards; yeah, I'm arrogant as fuck)
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By napalm

Why the fuck is the fat fucking retard wasting the time of a crisis center to show them something trivial that actually has nothing to do with them? What a fat fucking ugly piece of shit. Maybe she should do some reporting on the crisis center and how they are helping people, rather than showing them something trivial like a fucking videogame. 

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#41  Edited By KarlPilkington

Someone should slap that bitch.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Underachiever007 said:
    " @Rayfield: I missed your gratuitous use of the caps lock button. "
    so did i man.. Rayfield posts the most explosive articles, in his own way !! 

ontopic, if that Capture The Babe mode is real, thats not nice..
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#43  Edited By FancySoapsMan

bitch be crazy

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By CaptainObvious

Hail to the king baby.

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Rattle618

I think that bitch needs to get kidnapped and beaten by the duke, that will change her mind.

FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#46  Edited By FlyingRat
    @Napalm said:
    " Why the fuck is the fat fucking retard wasting the time of a crisis center to show them something trivial that actually has nothing to do with them? What a fat fucking ugly piece of shit. Maybe she should do some reporting on the crisis center and how they are helping people, rather than showing them something trivial like a fucking videogame.  "
    Really helping out the argument that gamers can be mature, well developed people there, guy.
    ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ninjakiller

I never wanted to commit a violent act against women until I saw that article.  

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By HandsomeDead

Maybe we should roll out BioShock, yet again, to show games can be art.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Origina1Penguin

This "controversial" multiplayer mode sounds much like the Have Mercy mode in The Warriors. I don't remember hearing all this shit then.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This article has made me want to go out and slap and rape women before the game comes out just to prove they're wrong 
    I should make it a Facebook event so all of you can join as well 
    SOLIDARITY FOR DUKE!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.