Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Duke Nukem Forever

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Jun 14, 2011

After approximately fourteen years of development, the heavily infamous sequel to Duke Nukem 3D was finally released, in which the macho Duke must damper yet another alien invasion.

THE VERDICT: What do you think of Duke Nukem Forever?

• 59 results
    Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#51  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    @SethPhotopoulos said:

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

Nothing is done. tons of people are yet to play the game, and tons of people are yet to realize that lazy ass reviewers based their reviewers on a console port, rather than the lead version. 
    Most were only given the 360 version.  They aren't lazy they did their jobs and your mad because the don't agree with you (the old cliché)  or because they couldn't play the version your playing.
    Halo 5 comes out on X720 and PS4 in 2015. in 2015, the Playsation became number 1 again (like the PS2's glory), and therefore most reviewers review the PS4 version of Halo 5, and they decide the game is bad.Is that OK to you? Isn't a Halo game best reviewed on it's home platform ? The X720 version is solid, and the PS4 port is crippled, yet they base their opinion on the crippled version because it's on their console of choice. Does that make sense?  Edit: OK let me rephrase: Not because the PS4 is their platform of choice, but because it's the only review version they got. Do they go "Well, we received the PS4 version, and it sucks, therefore the game sucks" ? What about the lead version? Do they not pursue it to decide whether the game actually sucks or not ?
    They score the version they got.  The PC version and the PS3 XBox360 version of the games are 98% the same game with only marginal technical improvements on the PC version.  The core of the game is still the same.  The story, the game play, the writing, the characters, the level design are 100% the same as the PC version except for the graphics and load times.  If the PC was a completely different game to the console versions you would have a point.  Here are complaints that are mostly non technical.

"Many critics took issue in regards to the level design and shooting mechanics, particularly when compared to both the original Duke Nukem 3D and those of current modern shooters. GameSpot felt that the "joy of that game's shooting has been flattened", with a "little sense of impact", finding the overall design to be "tedious". Eurogamer commented that "few of the locations [inspired] the sort of exploration and excitement that made Duke 3D such a memorable experience. Duke Nukem Forever is linear to a fault, and huge chunks of the game are spent simply walking from one fight to another through uninspired corridors." IGN criticized "the frequent first-person platforming segments that make up an unnecessarily large percentage of the story mode", even when stating "shooting sections are simple fun". Games Radar concluded "Duke Nukem Forever’s world-record development time has produced an ugly, buggy shooter that veers back and forth between enjoyably average and outright boring, with occasional surges of greatness along the way." GamePro felt that "Unexpected moments", "are really the game's biggest strengths. But they're few and far between."

Others questioned certain other design choices when compared to Duke Nukem 3D with Kotaku stating that "Old-school shooters, and this is definitely trying to be one of those with its basic AI and lack of cover mechanics, always had two great things going for them: speed and a ridiculous arsenal of weapons... Forever eschews this in favour of a plodding pace and two guns", noting its negative mix with modern shooter conventions, a view echoed by The Escapist who felt "why a game like Duke, having been almost cryo-frozen for more than a decade, then awoken and peppered with modern touches, feels so out of place.

In regards to the humor of Duke Nukem Forever, certain aspects received a mixed response. In one regard, some critics like Team Xbox favorably mentioned the voice work of Jon St. John being an "excellent job as always with Duke’s persona", while others like Machinima.com appreciated the comedic gameplay tips and pop culture references, however the same critic also noted that "parts of the narrative and dialogue show clear evidence of the game’s elongated development. Many pop culture references seem so 2002, with one-liners co-opted from 'guy' movies like Old School, Highlander, and Commando, which in itself could cause blank stares from most of the current potential audience." Australian gaming website PALGN found the game only "saved only by its humor and nostalgic value.". While Official Xbox Magazine UK thought that the humor "isn't so much offensive or misogynistic as just suffering from an adolescent fixation with boobs and crowbarred-in innuendo. We say 'for the most part' with good reason, though". The same critic took issue with one sequence in which Duke encounters abducted women who have been forcibly impregnated with aliens, having to kill them before the alien's birth does so, finding it "doesn't mesh with the rest of the game's tone at all". This scene was received even more negatively elsewhere, being called "outright revolting" and turning Duke into a "thoroughly detestable psychopath" by 1UP and Destructoid respectively. Joystiq noted that the game's multiplayer "Capture the babe" capture the flag mode, involving "spanking a woman into submission," "really is as painful as it sounds."

Hell the score for the PC version is average.  So saying that the PC version is worlds better than the console version because it has better graphics and frame rate is crazy.  Liking things is subjective but don't say that the only problems were the differences between console and PC.
    Aggregate scores
    AggregatorScore
    GameRankings(PS3) 50.48%
    (X360) 48.13%
    (PC) 45.07%
    Metacritic(PC) 55/100
    (PS3) 54/100
    (X360) 50/100
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#52  Edited By Vinny_Says
    @Napalm:  I would not mind playing DNF, but that game is 60 dollars. Before I spend that money I like to see what my money is going towards so I look at reviews and forums and all I've gotten from that is a picture of a bad game. 
    Here comes Mr. Metallic and tells me that the game is good and everyone else is "wrong" because they reviewed the wrong version. Am I not allowed to know why? I was fooled by these same types of threads regarding Alpha Protocol and I don't want to waste my money again.  

If your only response to my question is to stop talking then I'm sorry i bothered you.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#53  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @blacklabeldomm:  I didn't say the game is a masterpiece or that it deserves its price tag, because it doesn't.  

I said they were wrong to base their judgment on the shitty version (console) rather that the OK/playable/fun version. Playing it on PC, it looks better, loads up better, controls better, and the level design is not by any means horrid, on any version for that matter. The shooting is enjoyable, the platforming is pretty retro and fun (what the hell is wrong with some platforming?) and the turret and RC car sequences (in addition to a few more) are enough to keep the ride full of variety 

What i'm saying here is that the game is not the abomination people claim it is. It's an old outdated game that is playable and enjoyable. It runs well on hardware, looks pretty alright, and keeps you engaged. In addition to Duke being pretty goddamn cool (I know you think he sounds tired and tries too hard to be funny, but it really is not like that when you play in real time)
    Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#54  Edited By KowalskiManDown

It's not out and out bad, it's just super fucking boring. I got no joy from playing the game, and I got no joy from hearing Duke spout off lines that would've been funny about ten years ago. I honestly cannot understand how anyone can defend this game, it's way below standard.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#55  Edited By Jams

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

@blacklabeldomm: I didn't say the game is a masterpiece or that it deserves its price tag, because it doesn't. I said they were wrong to base their judgment on the shitty version (console) rather that the OK/playable/fun version. Playing it on PC, it looks better, loads up better, controls better, and the level design is not by any means horrid, on any version for that matter. The shooting is enjoyable, the platforming is pretty retro and fun (what the hell is wrong with some platforming?) and the turret and RC car sequences (in addition to a few more) are enough to keep the ride full of variety What i'm saying here is that the game is not the abomination people claim it is. It's an old outdated game that is playable and enjoyable. It runs well on hardware, looks pretty alright, and keeps you engaged. In addition to Duke being pretty goddamn cool (I know you think he sounds tired and tries too hard to be funny, but it really is not like that when you play in real time)

Well said.

@Napalm said:

@blacklabeldomm said:
    I haven't played it
    Stop talking.

Well said.

@Napalm said:

@blacklabeldomm: You've already got it into your head that the game is shit, and you have a colored opinion by other opinions other than truly your own, so there is no reason to "convince" you when you're set on a viewpoint already that isn't going to change. Play it yourself and form your own opinion.

VERY well said.

@Napalm said:

@Ahmad_Metallic: But, that's what this blacklebeldomm fellow wants. He wants you to explain why it's competent, just for him to point to other peoples' opinions tell you that you're wrong and then accuse you of failing to "convince" him. It's a vicious cycle by retards who roam the internet. Throw it in the can, tell him to get bent and call it a day. Don't waste any more of your time on this garbage.

Followed.

I chose the second option. While I'm having a blast playing the PC version, I don't think it's by any means a spectacular game. It's just good fun and I really dig the platforming. I actually think the platforming puzzles are well thought out because I never found myself lost for too long. I say it deserves a good 3.5/5 review. I really do think it should have stayed a PC exclusive. A lot of the complaints would be non existent and the $49.99 price tag would be a little easier to swallow. Although I should reserve judgement about the multiplayer since I haven't played it yet; It looks like absolute trash.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By ShaggE

As a Duke game, I rate it a nice solid "Blow it out your ass". 

As a game game, my rating jumps up to "I've got balls of acceptably strong material, but not anywhere close to steel".

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#57  Edited By Sooperspy

Played the 360 demo. That was enough.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By niamahai

doesn't live up to the 2002 trailer.

Santa_8aby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Santa_8aby

The game does seem to be getting fashionably bashed, and maybe it's because it's an easy target.  After playing it, it didn't blow my socks off, but it wasn't the abomination that some make it out to be.  Admittedly though, Duke getting off at slapping wall-boobs was uncomfortably creepy.  Afterwards, I almost felt like I needed to go register as a sex offender.

That said, games as controversial as these make me wonder what the general consensus would be if there were no game reviews.  It would really show what people's true opinions would be of such things, because many are influenced by the media, whether they want to admit it or not.   It is an intriguing thought, at least.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.