Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dying Light

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Jan 27, 2015

Dying Light is a first-person, open world game set in a zombie apocalypse. The player character is able to free-run to get around the environment quickly.

The earlier you preorder Dying Light, the more bonus you get

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AMyggen

From NeoGAF:

No Caption Provided

Have we seen anything like this before from preorders? It seems like another layer of shitty preorder incentives. They've also made a multiplayer mode exclusive to preorders.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

" PRE-ORDER NOW AND BYPASS ALL THAT BORING CHARACTER PROGRESSION AND WEAPON UPGRADING STUFF! "

I dunno. Game-breaking weapons have always been the weirdest pre-order items to me. Why would I want an extremely powerful weapon right at the start of the game?

Anyway, yeah, this is pretty stupid.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

Drakengard 3 did this earlier in the year, but I'm sure most people don't remember that because no one played it. Sadly.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By yinstarrunner

Is there anything that more plainly screams, "Please purchase our product before you find out how shitty it is"?

If anything, this makes me lose interest in the game. Buyer beware.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wemibelec90: I did, you're not alone ;_; i even have a caim avatar

rand0mZer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eww.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#7  Edited By BeachThunder

" PRE-ORDER NOW AND BYPASS ALL THAT BORING CHARACTER PROGRESSION AND WEAPON UPGRADING STUFF! "

I dunno. Game-breaking weapons have always been the weirdest pre-order items to me. Why would I want an extremely powerful weapon right at the start of the game?

Anyway, yeah, this is pretty stupid.

Yep, that really fucked up Dead Space 2 on PC :|

Also, this seems a little dodgy.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Rafaelfc

Don't preorder games!

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Don't pre-order games. You should know better by now.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't pre-order games. You should know better by now.

That's not the point here. Of course you shouldn't pre-order games, I haven't in years. But in a case like this they lock multiplayer content for people who don't pre-order (at least for a while), which just makes for a shittier experience for everyone. I also don't like the "PRE-ORDER EARLIER TO GET A BETTER REWARD!" thing going on here as a general rule.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
    deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll never understand the "Pre-order now to completely break the game! Balance? Smooth difficulty curves? Fuck that noise!" stuff and this seems like an even dumber version of that. Combined with locking an entire mode behind pre-orders, this just seems poorly thought-out in every possible way.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

While I'm not a fan of preordering games for a variety of reasons, I do think if the practice exists people who do so should get the best deal.

Afterall they are taking the most risk basically going sight unseen.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I never preorder, and I rarely even buy games day one anymore, but when stuff like this comes up it just strengthens my resolve to wait. I'll grab the GOTY or Ultimate edition or whatever on Steam down the road when it includes all of this junk for a deeply discounted price.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't get why people are so down on pre-orders. I rarely pre-order games, and when I do, it's for the cosmetic stuff. Pre-order weapons and armor just tend to unbalance the early game anyway, and that's no fun. Let people do what they want.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

HAHAHA

Dezztroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I'm almost certainly going to get the game, this actually makes me want to pre-order it less. I don't want a full arsenal of powerful weapons right when I start playing.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

GTAV did that on PS4 & Xbox One. I think if you ordered before November 4th, you got an additional $500k.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I don't think it's a shady pre-order incentive (I bet those weapons aren't actually that great). It actually seems like a pretty clever one as pre-order and business and what not goes.

I don't pre-order most games, but I don't see the problem with them doing this. It's a decent incentive to get people to pre-order without seeming all that bad/unbalanced.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

*extended fart noise*

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

dying light more like buying lite

Mustainium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I payed off my preorder with trade credit like two months ago and there's no way I still have the receipt.

That sucks.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is really dumb about this, is you don't even have to actually pre order the game. I went to the site to check it out and it just asks you to filling in where you bought, a receipt number and the purchase date. There is no way for them to verify that shit. Its just a market ploy, and sadly it will work. I was thinking like they partnered with gamestop or something and you had to do it through the partnered retailer. This is just stupid.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

Ah, the state of the industry crumbling as we speak. I remember back when a vendor showed the goods first and you payed afterwards. Nostalgia....

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The biggest bummer here for me is that it's Techland doing this. These kind of gross moves are (sadly) ubiquitous now, and if it was, say, Activision, I wouldn't even give it a second thought. But Techland has always seemed that they flew under the AAA radar enough to be simultaneously more experimental than the usual big games while also being a bit less sleazy. (or maybe CDProjekt Red has just made expect more from Polish devs.)

To be fair, though, this could have easily been a WB required marketing move that Techland never wanted in the first place.

What a tangled web we weave...

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Corevi
    @sterling said:

What is really dumb about this, is you don't even have to actually pre order the game. I went to the site to check it out and it just asks you to filling in where you bought, a receipt number and the purchase date. There is no way for them to verify that shit. Its just a market ploy, and sadly it will work. I was thinking like they partnered with gamestop or something and you had to do it through the partnered retailer. This is just stupid.

Just tried filling out the info with a fake EB receipt number and it worked. Haven't preordered the game nor do I have any intention to play it until it's ~$10.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By frymillstrum

If people just stopped pre-ordering games this kind of shit wouldn't continue to progress the way it has. That's never going to happen though. I think the last game I pre-ordered was Gears of War 3.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.