Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2014

Concept »

The twentieth Electronic Entertainment Expo took place June 10-12, 2014 at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, California.

I just got back from the Sony E3 Movie Theater deal.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By OldManLight

While i know i shouldn't complain because it was free, the event itself left a bit to be desired.

The biggest crime to me was they couldn't keep the stream up and running the entire time. Several times the stream cut in and out for 30-60 seconds at a time with an ear shattering pop accompanying it.

The other thing that made it kinda shitty was some of the people who attended. The attitude in the lobby was good, people were talking with each other and generally being nice. That changed once we got into the theater and people decided to put on their "i'm too cool for this nerdy shit" act and began to actively heckle any applause or just outright call people "loser" and "nerds". This behavior made even less sense to me because the event was sold out, sold out quickly, and there were people waiting to get in, in case people didn't show. There was also situation where some harsh words were exchanged between a 20 something male and a 30 something woman that lasted the entirety of the "Powers" portion of the conference. Many STFU's were exchanged, threats of physical violence, then a good Samaritan notified the theater staff and a girl came in and asked the instigating male to leave or she'd have to call the police. Sigh...

The final bummer was the "big surprise" they had been teasing. It ended up being a PSN code for access to the Destiny Alpha, Battlefield Hardline Beta, $5 PSN store credit and a 30 day trial to Sony's Music Now service. Also, a pretty lame ass poster. The audible sigh of letdown from the entire crowd when Jeff Keighley's voice uttered these words was enough to drown out the rest of his sentence. They definitely oversold this "big surprise" especially when they asked people to stick around for an extra 30 minutes after the 2 hour press conference.

For what it's worth, it was free, there was some cool stuff to see but i could have had just as good a time watching the stream in the comfort of my home. At least i have $5 to spend on PSN now :D.

Corwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Corwag

Ill take the Hardline beta code if you don't want it :)

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

yea that atmosphere sounds like it sucks, but hell a destiny alpha and a battlefield beta sound ok.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By OldManLight

@corwag: i actually was considering offering it up but the $5 PSN code is the thing i want and it's all tied to the same PSN code on the lanyard.

OGJackWagon69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By OGJackWagon69

I would've gone just to have been the guy who jumped out of their seat when they showed vib ribbon, then booed them when they didn't deliver on it after they kept mentioning it.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By OldManLight

@corwag: i just redeemed the lanyard code, supposed to get it on the 16th, If you want it it's yours i'll PM you once i see it.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Artikay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Were you at the one in New York too?

That popping was killing my left ear. I didnt hear any arguing though, but i was close to the front and most of the loud hecklers were in the back.

Peoples reaction to LBP3, MKX and Uncharted 4 were great though.

Also that random footage of a lady clapping when they were setting up the screen.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@oldmanlight said:
    There was also situation where some harsh words were exchanged between a 20 something male and a 30 something woman that lasted the entirety of the "Powers" portion of the conference. Many STFU's were exchanged, threats of physical violence, then a good Samaritan notified the theater staff and a girl came in and asked the instigating male to leave or she'd have to call the police. Sigh...

That sounds like an interesting situation. How did the fight start, and what was his problem anyhow?

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By OldManLight

@spaceinsomniac: @artikay: Nah, i'm in Columbus, OH. Everyone here did cheer for MKX, LBP3, and Uncharted 4. From what i gathered, it sounded like the dude was either talking or making lewd comments the entire time and the lady got sick of him and called him on it. Then of course, other people decided to chime in with their "how bout you both STFU!", because that always works...

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I also went to the event and i was not as letdown by it and say it was a good time. Mostly because i was not expecting anything crazy for a free event. It was a good "something to do" event and surprised to see it was a pretty big turn out. The crowd was noisy when it was ok to be noisy and quite when it counts. The only complains is yes the stream was cutting out pretty bad before the event and i little bit during the event.

The other complaint was the show was already long and the "30 minute exclusive access" put it over the edge of too long. On top of that the exclusive access was nothing but fluff. It was pretty much like "Hey, ND is making uncharted 4 and it will star drake right. Alright, let's move on to the next game!" so it was pretty pointless if you watched the show at all. Overall is was a good time and i would not mind going again.

Muanthuun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was in the Columbus one as well, and nearly went back to take of the dude myself. However, the woman did just fine. I heckled a little, but was only to show my nerd superiority when people clapped about getting Playstation Now. Just wanted to point out, I been in it since nearly the beginning lol.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also went to the event and i was not as letdown by it and say it was a good time. Mostly because i was not expecting anything crazy for a free event. It was a good "something to do" event and surprised to see it was a pretty big turn out. The crowd was noisy when it was ok to be noisy and quite when it counts. The only complains is yes the stream was cutting out pretty bad before the event and i little bit during the event.

The other complaint was the show was already long and the "30 minute exclusive access" put it over the edge of too long. On top of that the exclusive access was nothing but fluff. It was pretty much like "Hey, ND is making uncharted 4 and it will star drake right. Alright, let's move on to the next game!" so it was pretty pointless if you watched the show at all. Overall is was a good time and i would not mind going again.

oh yeah, i usually enjoy jeff keighley for his enthusiasm and the fact that he seems to be a nice guy who's really comfortable and has a good time talking to people about games but that 30 minutes was useless for anyone who had just watched the press conference.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I had a decent time with this.

The funniest thing was a guy behind me was going nuts about Batman. The only hostility I remember was people who seemed to get angry about the existence of Entwined.

AddamXavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

So apparently the codes they gave out expired last night, no notification whatsoever. Totally sucks. everyone contacting support says they are basically saying "too bad. " They really botched this promotion in my opinion. Anyone else not get their code submitted in time? I can't believe they didn't even give us 48 hours, hell, E3 isn't even over.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16  Edited By KaneRobot

Sucks that the crowd behavior was poor, but the sense of entitlement people feel at this kind of stuff is getting ridiculous. Did people really think Sony was going to give out copies of Last of Us PS4 or something, and were then legit disappointed when the free item didn't live up to their ridiculous expectations?

The event was free. People should be happy they got anything at all (although if the above post is correct - then yeah, fuck them for having it expire less than 2 days later).

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

So apparently the codes they gave out expired last night, no notification whatsoever. Totally sucks. everyone contacting support says they are basically saying "too bad. " They really botched this promotion in my opinion. Anyone else not get their code submitted in time? I can't believe they didn't even give us 48 hours, hell, E3 isn't even over.

I don't know if that is true for all the codes. You might be talking about the destiny Alpha which had its own deadline of when the alpha was going to close. Everything else had an expire date posted on the email somewhere.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.