Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2014

Concept »

The twentieth Electronic Entertainment Expo took place June 10-12, 2014 at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, California.

Next-Gen Graphics, where are they?

• 74 results
    glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Eh, I can wait. God of War 3 was the first game on PS3 that made my jaw drop on the floor. I mean, Uncharted 2 was pretty spectacular, but GoW still triumphed over that...and that came out pretty much three years after PS3 was released. Add another three years to that 'till the best looking game (imo) on the console game out, that being TLOU.

Sure, waiting for 3-6 years to see some really spectacular games on new consoles is maybe a bit too much of waiting around at this point, but still, you probably have to wait 'till next year at least.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Here they are.

Indeed the visual goodness that I need & deserve.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@reisz said:

I'm rather tipsy and will freely admit to not reading the responses in this thread (and therefore my status as a terrible person) but DId you see The Order? That's like the exact perfect example of graphics emphasized over gameplay.

We haven't seen too much of that game yet, tbh. Not alot of gameplay anyways, so it could still harbor very tense and cool gameplay segments. I mean, right? Right?

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marcsman said:

@ll_exile_ll said:
    Loading Video...

Here they are.

Isn't that CG?

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I've been pretty underwhelmed with this new generation's graphics until I saw Batman Arkham Knight at last night's Sony conference. Looks good!

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Assassin's Creed Unity and The Witcher 3 looked pretty good, as did MGS5. Haven't seen the new Uncharted trailer yet, but from what I've hear that looks pretty good too.

Is it "next-gen" quality, no. But it's getting there. Maybe give it another year or two.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

@pyrodactyl: Honestly, after seeing what they could do on a PS3 with The Last of Us, I wouldn't be surprised if that's how the game ends up looking with a PS4. Naughty Dog are a buncha Playstation wizards.

http://www.gamechup.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/the-last-of-us4.jpg

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Coafi

I'll tell you where they are not... in a WiiU game! BOOM!

Nintendo probably has them, tho.

CDUB901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By CDUB901

@marcsman said:

@ll_exile_ll said:
    Loading Video...

Here they are.

Isn't that CG?

knowing Naughty Dog, I wouldn't be surprised if that was all in-game. They are freaking amazing when it comes to utilizing the power of a console.

Berserker976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Know what blows my mind? That people still doubt Naughty Dog so easily.

This whole discussion is incredibly stupid. There are dozens of games coming that look absolutely fantastic. Some of the best looking games of the past few months have been WiiU games. I just wish for once everyone could be happy about the insanely cool shit we all have access to today and stop whining about resolution and framerate.

So much stuff looks amazing what's wrong with you all?!

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#61  Edited By Jeust

@leebmx said:

I thought a lot of the new stuff looks real purty. Assassin's Creed looks amazing I thought. You can see all the lighting and particle effect advantages that they are getting from the new consoles. It's never going to match the leap from SD to HD but I can see and apprectiate the upgrade.

This. We've reached a point in gaming history and technology where graphical improvements over the prior generation are bound to significantly less impressive and blatant, than in prior cycles. Who can't notice the change in graphics from the NES to the SNES, the SNES to the PS1, the PS1 to the PS2, and even the PS2 to the PS3? But can you really notice the change in graphics from the PS3 to the PS4?

There are better quality-wise assets, particle effects and lighting this generation, compared to the last, but from what I've seen that's where many games draw the line, making the games prettier, but not that dissimilar from the prior generation games.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those crowds in Assassins Creed Unity are amazing looking. The only other game I can think of with such detailed and packed crowds is that last Hitman game but it only managed those by having very small play areas with them.

Th3irdEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Th3irdEye

OP says he is a PC gamer. I think what's really going on is that last gen went way too long. People started moving over to PC because of the huge fidelity gains over the super old consoles. Now that "next gen" is here, it's not so much of a leap. At least that's how it went for me. Sure stuff looks better, but it's all incremental. I feel like if we all went straight from an old console to a PS4 or XBOne without ever playing or even seeing footage from PC versions of games, we would be amazed at how good everything looks.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Dussck

I think the press conferences shown alot of great looking games (absolutely a big step above last gen!), but that Uncharted 4 teaser was not ingame. That's just impossible. I've seen the highest quality footage available on the web and there's no flaw anywhere to be seen. No rough edge, aliasing or whatever and that with alot of moving foliage going on! Also the motionblur and depth of field blur is close to perfect.
    I work alot with CG renders and even when rendering multiple hours per frame (instead of realtime) it's sometimes hard to crush the aliasing problems.
    I have no doubt the ingame stuff of that game will drop my jaw, but this teaser is NOT realtime rendered.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Dussck

@th3irdeye said:

OP says he is a PC gamer. I think what's really going on is that last gen went way too long. People started moving over to PC because of the huge fidelity gains over the super old consoles. Now that "next gen" is here, it's not so much of a leap. At least that's how it went for me. Sure stuff looks better, but it's all incremental. I feel like if we all went straight from an old console to a PS4 or XBOne without ever playing or even seeing footage from PC versions of games, we would be amazed at how good everything looks.

I don't think the difference in graphics was THAT big on PC and last gen consoles. Sure, PC version had (potentially) much higher resolution, texture res and some extra effects, but it was never the case that a game like Arkham City looked like Arkham City on Playstation and like Arkham Knight on the PC (exceptions are crazy mods for skyrim and GTA4 for instance). The basis was the same for those versions (ofcourse crippled by the lack of power in the older consoles). So PC gamers will also see a leap in graphics this generation and ofcourse they will still have access to better image quality, which is also needed because most of the time when you play games on a pc you are just a couple of inches away from the screen instead of sitting on the couch staring at a distant TV.

Sorry for double post.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

The jumps of graphical fidelity and world building just become more fine as time goes on. The big problem we have now is most games look better on your HDTV then they can on a downloadable stream unless you download the highest quality feed and run it with no bottlenecks.

To be honest I think there is balanced needed between geometric complexity, resolution and frame rate. You can bump up the frame rate and make it all 1080p, but is that really what we want? I'd rather have a pirate ship look like a real ship and not some vaguely wooden box. I'd rather have chips of concrete burst off a wall realistically and stay damaged when a 50 cal hits it. Everything is a trade off, and I think that what current games are facing looking more realistic, running better, or being finer resolution - choose two. Actually it even more complex when you add-in improved physics, AI, sound/dialogue, lighting/filtering, etc because we want it all to advance as if improving games across the board is possible on a $400 machine.

mithhunter55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The art styles coming from Nintendo are so much more interesting then a lot of what we see coming for ps4 and XbOne. Developers are still trying to push realism even though that cant even do 1080 60 fps on most games again. PC + Nintendo best combo honestly, PC graphics will always look far more "next gen". Especially since a lot of us have been playing on PC for years now the jump from those graphics to the ps4 and xbone is just far less noticeable. High end graphics cards from 4 years ago were better.

P.s. I really hope Halo 3 comes out on PC haha

Avatar image for deactivated-5985ee6460d86
    deactivated-5985ee6460d86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel that the actual look of most games aren't a huge jump from past gen but the stuff happening around their worlds are. Like Witcher3, No Mans Sky, Batman, etc. just have so much stuff happening around them that I feel ps3/360 would not be able to handle it. Just look at Watch Dogs, nothing amazing on ps4 but it looks better than ps3.

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#69  Edited By BrittonPeele

This is why your mind isn't being blown away by graphics anymore (taken from this Polygon piece):

No Caption Provided

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Oh good, it's another thread where a PC gamer gets their kicks by looking down their nose at console graphics.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uncharted 4 you butt.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#72  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

This whole discussion is incredibly stupid. There are dozens of games coming that look absolutely fantastic. Some of the best looking games of the past few months have been WiiU games. I just wish for once everyone could be happy about the insanely cool shit we all have access to today and stop whining about resolution and framerate.

So much stuff looks amazing what's wrong with you all?!

Yeah, really. I saw so much cool "next gen" looking stuff yesterday.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All the games look good, if your platform is PC i don't think any PC game version would be shown at the Microsoft and Sony conferences lol.

And texture, lighting, particles, animations, fps > resolution IMO

metalhammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Gears was the first to get my attention in the last gen - and that was at least a year after release, if memory serves?

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's evidence all over of graphical evolution. When I go back and play a title on my 360 after playing games like Ryse, Forza 5, and others on X1, I really notice the difference. Better looking games have already released and the new stuff being shown at E3 just keeps looking better and better.

At E3 good looking games are all over that show the evolution to this gen graphics: Destiny looks fantastic, as does Uncharted 4, The Witcher 3, and The Order to name a few.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.