Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Elite: Dangerous

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Dec 16, 2014

The fourth entry in the Elite franchise, from the series' co-creator David Braben and Frontier Developments.

Where Am I Taking Heat Damage From?

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#1  Edited By sammo21

So I jumped back into the game after about a 6 month absence. I head to a local spot to farm some bounties and when I'm scanning a ship I start taking heat damage from seemingly nowhere. I'm in the middle of an asteroid field so I'm not close to a star and its not like I have anything overheating. The heat damage randomly stops and I continue. 20-30 minutes later I am getting scanned by someone and I begin taking heat damage again, so much so it eventually kills me. There were no hostiles and I wasn't near a sun...any idea wtf killed me? I've tried investigating online and found nothing. Hopefully some other duders here can clue me in so I can either look to avoid something I was unaware of or correct something. Thanks in advance.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Frontier made some changes to heat in the six months you've been gone. Here are the things I can think of off the top of my head, although none of them really explain what happened to you.

• weapons generate more heat when firing
    • engineered weapons can have an experimental effect called thermal shock which imparts heat into the target
    • shield cell banks generate crazy amounts of heat (bring heat sinks!)

If it's truly random, perhaps your ship didn't take the six months of updates very well and you've got a bug on your hands. I'd start a support ticket, I bet they'll be able to tell you what happened.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

@bane: I'll run through all my setup again. I was pretty bummed because I had amassed at least 2 million + worth of bounties but the fact that I had no active attackers either time I was taking the heat damage was weirding me the hell out.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Did you accidentally turn silent running on? There's a button that closes all your heat sinks to make you harder to detect on enemy scanners, and even moving while that is on can cause an overheat.

nigel2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By nigel2

@bollard: thank you so much - I was wondering why the hell I started burning up out of nowhere when I engaged supercruise.

For anyone else experiencing this you can see if "silent running" is engaged if it says silent running just above your fuel gauge

Default key binding is DEL

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.