Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fable III

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Oct 26, 2010

The third game in the Fable series sets you with the task of overthrowing your own brother, the tyrant ruler of Albion, as the kingdom enters the industrial era.

Has the review put anyone off?

• 133 results
    tofford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By tofford

This holiday few games have really interested me but Fable 3 was something I expected to pick up. I had loads of fun in Fable 2 and I know that the review is someone's opinion but I do not want to fork out £40 for something that will disappoint me. Anyone else put off or are you sticking to your guns?

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

I ordered it for 35 bucks, so I bet that'll be worth it.

Bad reviews mean little to me (even tho 3/5 ain't THAT bad) since a lot of games which I loved have been reviewed decently with scores round 80.
    I'm sure it'll be fun, if not, Molyneux wins again!

Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Muttinus_Rump

Yes.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By ShaneDev

I might get it some day if its on the PC but I think I had enough Fable with Fable 2. The review was surprising but it didn't really effect me either way.

Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Mrskidders

I don't really listen to reviews anymore, if I want a game then I will get it.  Saying that, I have been playing Fable 3 this morning and its not very good really.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @Mrskidders said:
    " I don't really listen to reviews anymore, if I want a game then I will get it.  Saying that, I have been playing Fable 3 this morning and its not very good really. "
    Maybe you should start listening to reviews.
    McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By McGhee

No, but ever since Fable 2 my expections for 3 have been really low. This means when I do get around to playing it I'll probably like it a lot more. lol
    ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By ptys

Was considering trying it, but now I won't. Just don't have the time. Microsoft needs to get some 5 star first party STAT.

Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mrskidders
    @HandsomeDead: Nah, I liked the first 2 fable games so I had to give this one a go regardless of reviews.  It would be like watching the first two star wars films and then skipping the third because of shit reviews, you would feel like you had missed out.  I don't pay for games anyway so it's not like it matters.
    Avatar image for stealthmaster86
    Stealthmaster86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Stealthmaster86

Sometimes it does, but it has to have a universally bad score.  One 3 out of 5 won't keep me away from playing a game.

Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Raymayne

A review written by Brad Shoemaker will never sway my opinion on a game in any way, shape, or form. He's a nice guy and I enjoy him as a member of the GB team, but the way he forms concrete opinions on games before they've even come out, and rigidly defends titles he loves (like SC2) with no hint of compromise, or acceptance of any shortcomings his beloved games might have, and unfairly bashes games he simply has no interest in makes him an absolutely terrible games journalist in my opinion. Had that review been written by Ryan or Jeff, I would've paid a little more attention, but no, this has no bearing on whether or not I'll buy Fable III.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By MooseyMcMan

No, if anything, I'm more excited, because I feared that the end results could have been much worse than what they are. I can put up with a few bugs and a crappy interface for selecting weapons and whatnot.  

And after reading Brad's review, I realize that you can screw up the ending really easily, so I'm going to be super careful and not ever advance the story until all my sidequesting is done (which is probably how I would have played anyway). 

WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By WatanabeKazuma

I honestly don't know what to expect from Fable 3, I think I will see what the general opinion is around here before I make any sort of decision.  

I found both games so far to be pretty disappointing, the story-lines are never strong and the side stuff is too shallow for me to be interested. I actually can't see why it is such a big franchise, maybe that’s just me though.

Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mrskidders
    @Raymayne said:
    " A review written by Brad Shoemaker will never sway my opinion on a game in any way, shape, or form. He's a nice guy but the way he forms opinions on games before they've even come out and rigidly defends titles he loves (like SC2) with no hint of compromise, and unfairly bashes games he simply has no interest in makes him an absolutely terrible games journalist in my opinion. Had that review been written by Ryan or Jeff, I would've paid a little more attention, but no, this has no bearing on whether or not I'll buy Fable III. "

In before shitstorm.
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#15  Edited By BeachThunder

I was already off, but I guess I'm even more off now...not that it matters.

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

"Bad reviews mean little to me (even tho 3/5 ain't THAT bad) since a lot of games which I loved have been reviewed decently with scores round 80. I'm sure it'll be fun, if not, Molyneux wins again! "
    This I agree with. I love Mirror's Edge and that was given a 3/5 here.
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

The score?  No.  Hearing that it has a vague "point of know return" that can lead to you not wanting to return to the game afterward?  Yeah.

btw, I'm just paraphrasing Brad's review.  No spoilers beyond what you learn from reading it.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Actually, the review's got me interested. While Brad didn't like it so much, he mentioned a lot of things that I personally love the sound of.

But I just bought New Vegas, sooooooo... fuck you Molyneux.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By mrfizzy
    @tofford: less put me off as confirmed my suspicions. i wasnt planning on getting it but i really good review may have swayed me.  
    Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By GunslingerPanda
    @Raymayne said:
    " A review written by Brad Shoemaker will never sway my opinion on a game in any way, shape, or form. He's a nice guy and I enjoy him as a member of the GB team, but the way he forms concrete opinions on games before they've even come out, and rigidly defends titles he loves (like SC2) with no hint of compromise, or acceptance of any shortcomings his beloved games might have, and unfairly bashes games he simply has no interest in makes him an absolutely terrible games journalist in my opinion. Had that review been written by Ryan or Jeff, I would've paid a little more attention, but no, this has no bearing on whether or not I'll buy Fable III. "
    I will assume this is a joke. Ryan and Jeff are much much worse with that shit than Brad is. Example: BlazBlue, fucking awesome game that they hated on because "DURRRR ANIMAY"

/inb4 the animeisforjerks jeffwannabes show up
    Johnnyredwine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Johnnyredwine

The lack of menus and having to navigate your character to everything just seemed a bad design choice that would get tedious after a while -- the review  just affirmed that. I loved the previous two Fable's though, so I will still probably pick this up as I was looking forward to it.

edit: now that I think about it, I've found all the Fable games generally quite poor in design choices -- and really clunky games in general -- but i've always had fun playing them, so I was willing to look past it. Maybe the same will happen with Fable III.

lacke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By lacke

It has. I never intended to get this game at full price but some big electronic boutique chains where I live sell big releases for €30 (Reach, SC2 for example) for the first few weeks and I might have picked it up for that price if it had gotten a 4 or 5 stars. While I really enjoyed Fable 2 the interface changes sound like it's going to bug me a lot. Now I'll wait until it's €20 or a GOTY version depending on how much DLC that'll be released, as I intended to from the beginning.

Then again, it's Brad. The reviewer I agree the least with (not counting Dave and Alex (or Andy)).

Grimace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By Grimace
    @GunslingerPanda said:
    " @Raymayne said:
    " A review written by Brad Shoemaker will never sway my opinion on a game in any way, shape, or form. He's a nice guy and I enjoy him as a member of the GB team, but the way he forms concrete opinions on games before they've even come out, and rigidly defends titles he loves (like SC2) with no hint of compromise, or acceptance of any shortcomings his beloved games might have, and unfairly bashes games he simply has no interest in makes him an absolutely terrible games journalist in my opinion. Had that review been written by Ryan or Jeff, I would've paid a little more attention, but no, this has no bearing on whether or not I'll buy Fable III. "
    I will assume this is a joke. Ryan and Jeff are much much worse with that shit than Brad is. Example: BlazBlue, fucking awesome game that they hated on because "DURRRR ANIMAY"  /inb4 the animeisforjerks jeffwannabes show up "
    Everyone has their own preference or bias when it comes to games. Some are more harsh than others and some are just Jim Stirling.
    ashton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ashton

Not really. I loved fable 2 so if 3 is a slight improvement or just the same game with a few tweaks ill still buy it. Also I dont make my decisions off one review.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By HandsomeDead

Is this turning into another thread where people don't really know what a review is and bitch because the game they've been looking forward to isn't a 5/5 classic?

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Dingofighter

Was a bit surprised when I saw it had gotten 3/5 stars, was expecting 4/5 at least, and I thought there was something really wrong with the game.
    When I read the review and saw what it was that lowered the score though, I didn't think there was any really major things he complained about and I'm looking forward to friday.

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mwng

It's got John Cleese in it, if that's not a reason to pick it up day 1, I don't know what is.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Reviews almost never put me off. Its simply someone else's opinion and even though I like to hear what they think of it, ultimately its my opinion that matters and I'll still play it anyway. 

Also, why are some people freaking out over the score? A 3/5 seems pretty good it you ask me.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28  Edited By Chris2KLee

I'm gonna hold back now until it drops in price for sure.

Ursus_Veritas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By Ursus_Veritas
    @wasteguru said:
    " Reviews almost never put me off. Its simply someone else's opinion and even though I like to hear what they think of it, ultimately its my opinion that matters and I'll still play it anyway.  Also, why are some people freaking out over the score? A 3/5 seems pretty good it you ask me. "
    Because a lot of people look at game reviews with a bizarre twist, and anything below 8/10 or 4/5 is 'the biggest piece of shit ever ZOMGZ HERP DERP!!!!'. No one can interpret a scale correctly - like you said 3/5 is a 'good' review score, but to some people it's the indication that this is the worst video game of all time. It's like Game Informers review of The Force Unleashed II today: They give it a 7.8/10, and then call it the 'biggest disappointment of 2010'. 0_0 

Any way, to answer OP's question, No, not really. Fable games have always hovered around these sorts of score, and I love the series, so I'm not too fussed about it. I'm getting it as a gift for Christmas due to being strapped for cash, and I can't wait to play it!
    photomic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By photomic

Hasn't put me off at all.

Loved the first one and the second one to bits, and played them constantly, so I expect to the do the same with the third. 

Anyway, they reviewed Dead Rising 2 the same and I'm still having a barrel of laughs with it :P

EDIT:
    @Ursus_Veritas: 
    Did Game Informer seriously say that about a 7.8 score? "Biggest Disappointment" is a bit much considering most people slated the first one for being poor (which was a bit harsh, in my opinion), why would they expect such a huge jump in quality?

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Ursus_Veritas:  60-70% is not a good game and don't give me that stars are not percentages stuff too because as you can see I'm rounding up generously.  Molly has failed his audience once again in his pursuit of more casual players.
    excido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By excido

I don't own a 360, I have a ps3, wii, and pc(and both handhelds). That said if this game comes out for PC and assuming Microsoft doesn't try to price it too high then I would love to pick it up. I enjoyed Fable 1 and this genre in general is appealing to me, as long as it's above mediocre then I think I fall in to that "if you like this type of game" category and I'll enjoy it. But I have to say that if it got a 1 or 2 stars I'd probably only pay 20 bucks for it but at 3/5 I'll give it a shot at 40 bucks. I'm hoping it comes to Steam or at the very least discounted on the new games for windows live store that relaunches next month.

Ursus_Veritas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By Ursus_Veritas
    @SeriouslyNow: 60% is still above average - it's a 'good' score. It's not great, it's not perfect, but it is above average.  GB's FAQ says that the 3/5 on their scale is the half way point, where ' An inherent appreciation of this game's specific gameplay style, characters, subject matter, and so on may play as big a role in your enjoyment as the actual quality of the game.' So a 3/5 game has good quality, but there's a factor of 'if you don't like thing x, you won't like this game. If you like thing x, this game is good for you!' about it. 

Sure, if Fable III had got a 1 or 2 star review, I'd be worried. But 3/5 is nothing really to get *that* bothered about.
    Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#35  Edited By Dimsey

3 out of 5 is fine and the review seemed to incicate that despite it's shortcomings it's still  fun and fun is kind of why I play games.
    I'm still going to be picking up Fable 3 as soon as I can and I doubt I'll be disapointed with what I get.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By CL60

No. I NEVER listen to reviews. EVER, I form my own opinion.. by playing it myself, not reading a review.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I was put off by the fact that it's a fable game

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Seems pretty normal for Fable really.  A few design flaws and shortcomings.. but fun gameplay and enjoyable all the way through.  3/5 is a bit disappointing, but Fable is rather hit and miss.  Some people can't get over the flaws, while others can look past them and just love everything about it. 

Look at how varied the opinions are for Fable 1 and 2.  Some consider F2 one of the best 360 games and others consider it one of the worst.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Ursus_Veritas:  Above average doesn't cut for it for a game of this magnitude.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By CL60
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    "

Seems pretty normal for Fable really.  A few design flaws and shortcomings.. but fun gameplay and enjoyable all the way through.  3/5 is a bit disappointing, but Fable is rather hit and miss.  Some people can't get over the flaws, while others can look past them and just love everything about it. 

Look at how varied the opinions are for Fable 1 and 2.  Some consider F2 one of the best 360 games and others consider it one of the worst.

"
    This is true.
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By c1337us

I had no real interest for Fable III since I finished playing II so purchasing this game before a price drop or two was unlikely. But I'll probably just give it a rent at this point or borrow it off a friend who pre-ordered it when they are done.

StartAndPause

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By StartAndPause

A little bit to be honest, release date in the UK is Friday so I'll read a few more reviews first but I'm worried it won't live up to expectations now.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#43  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Raymayne said:
    well thats the first meaningful thing you ever said since i started seeing you posting around here 
    and i agree with what u say wholeheartedly. i just dont like Brad's take on games and dont count on his reviews
    Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
    deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Swayed me off completely. I don't like the sound of annoying, meaningless extra steps to access your menus, which is an integral part in an RPG. I may play it down the road.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#45  Edited By Trilogy
    @Raymayne said:
    I semi-agree with you. I trust Brad a bit more than you do but I do notice how hardheaded he gets when he likes or doesn't like a game. That being said, his favorite games from the year are some of my favorite games so it's hard to really throw the guy under the bus integrity wise.

@GunslingerPanda said:
    " I will assume this is a joke. Ryan and Jeff are much much worse with that shit than Brad is. Example: BlazBlue, fucking awesome game that they hated on because "DURRRR ANIMAY"  /inb4 the animeisforjerks jeffwannabes show up "
    Sorry if you're a butthurt anime fanboy but some people just don't like the same things you do and for real reasons. You ever think they just don't like the damn game? Apparently the fact that they don't like anime makes their opinion invalid on a video game. Maybe it makes their opinion invalid on anime itself...but not a video game that has more aspects to it then the cut scenes. You don't see them reviewing anime do you?

And by the way, saying things like "in before people disagree with me" doesn't protect you from being criticized on the internet. You're not Nostradamus.
    jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By jacdg

No, can't really see why it would, unless if was an insanely criticizing reviews, plus I only let reviews influence me if I'm REALLY unsure about the game, that is not the case with Fable 3, I won't buy it before next year though.

SavUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SavUK

I will certainly purchase Fable 3, but will probably wait until DLC is announced and hold of for the complete edition a la Fallout 3 GOTY etc. I have had a lot of fun playing the previous Fables, played through Fable 2 three times. Brad raised valid points in the review, the menus in Fable 2 were clunky and I don't blame Lionhead for coming up with something new, even though it sounds like it hasn't paid off. I enjoy the atmosphere and humour, which sounds as if it is still intact. The way Brad described the end game, although frustrating for him, does sound kinda awesome :) in that your choices/decisions do have grand repercussions!?

paulm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By paulm
    @ptys said:
    " Was considering trying it, but now I won't. Just don't have the time. Microsoft needs to get some 5 star first party STAT. "
    why it's not like Sony has much going on this year ether
    Avatar image for thehuntsmen5434
    thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49  Edited By thehuntsmen5434

No, Fable has always been what Brad was describing.  I like these games though because of how you craft your own story.  I could careless about Fables story I just have fun starting families and owning real estate.  Back when Fable II was out I went back and forth between that and Fallout 3. I remember liking the side stories in Fallout 3, but wished I had some of the economy and family freedoms I had in Fable II.  I'd say if you liked fable II just get Fable III.  Honestly how much worse could it really be?  In Fable II my game glitched and my daughter wouldn't react to me, my wife had disappeared, and my dog was stuck 3 miles offshore.  So in my rage I killed everyone in town, met a new wife, and had a new kid.  Then after that whole leaving for ten years thing my old wife re-appeared and wanted a divorce, bitch.

Fable III is gonna be hilarious I can't wait.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50  Edited By Marz

I wasn't really going to buy it day 1 but now i'll probably wait till it's discounted.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.