Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 3

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

In Bethesda's first-person revival of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series, the player is forced to leave Vault 101 and venture out into the irradiated wasteland of Washington D.C. to find his or her father.

Fallout 3: Broken Steel DLC Out, Somewhat Functional

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad
    Don't hit me!
    Don't hit me!
    The third Fallout 3 DLC pack, Broken Steel, hit the respective Marketplaces of Xbox Live and Games For Windows Live today, but the third time hasn't exactly been the charm for Bethesda.

The 800-point ($10) add-on appears to at least be purchasable and playable on the Xbox 360, though it's apparently having some minor issues with achievement points at the moment. After a relatively smooth launch for the first pack, Operation Anchorage, you'll recall that the second add-on, The Pitt, was mad broken on the 360 on the day of its release. After some time and effort, Bethesda managed to get a fully working version posted later that week.

This time around, it's the PC version of the DLC that's got significant issues. Specifically, Broken Steel refuses to install after the download completes, so those of you looking to boost your level cap and continue the main storyline in the PC version of Fallout 3 may want to wait a little bit until these issues are resolved.

Shacknews went straight to Bethesda, who delivered comment on both platforms' issues.

Broken Steel's PC installation issues are "a games for Windows Live DRM Install error", a Bethesda representative has told Shacknews. "Microsoft is working on fixing it, and we'll let everyone know once we've verified it." Regarding the Xbox 360 achievement anomalies, "The Xbox Live servers don't seem to be fully synched yet with the additional achievements," Bethesda explains. "This should fix itself automatically soon. People won't lose any achievements."

I'm personally really excited about Broken Steel. Since I never had a chance to dig into the game properly when it was released--and given the discontent I've heard with the game's ending and the unfortunate inability to continue questing after the credits rolled--I'm actually glad I waited until now to play Fallout 3. With this last add-on, it seems like Bethesda's made Fallout 3 into the game it ought to have been in the first place.

Check back for more coverage from us on Broken Steel in the near future. Meanwhile, here's what it looks like!

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brad
    Don't hit me!
    Don't hit me!
    The third Fallout 3 DLC pack, Broken Steel, hit the respective Marketplaces of Xbox Live and Games For Windows Live today, but the third time hasn't exactly been the charm for Bethesda.

The 800-point ($10) add-on appears to at least be purchasable and playable on the Xbox 360, though it's apparently having some minor issues with achievement points at the moment. After a relatively smooth launch for the first pack, Operation Anchorage, you'll recall that the second add-on, The Pitt, was mad broken on the 360 on the day of its release. After some time and effort, Bethesda managed to get a fully working version posted later that week.

This time around, it's the PC version of the DLC that's got significant issues. Specifically, Broken Steel refuses to install after the download completes, so those of you looking to boost your level cap and continue the main storyline in the PC version of Fallout 3 may want to wait a little bit until these issues are resolved.

Shacknews went straight to Bethesda, who delivered comment on both platforms' issues.

Broken Steel's PC installation issues are "a games for Windows Live DRM Install error", a Bethesda representative has told Shacknews. "Microsoft is working on fixing it, and we'll let everyone know once we've verified it." Regarding the Xbox 360 achievement anomalies, "The Xbox Live servers don't seem to be fully synched yet with the additional achievements," Bethesda explains. "This should fix itself automatically soon. People won't lose any achievements."

I'm personally really excited about Broken Steel. Since I never had a chance to dig into the game properly when it was released--and given the discontent I've heard with the game's ending and the unfortunate inability to continue questing after the credits rolled--I'm actually glad I waited until now to play Fallout 3. With this last add-on, it seems like Bethesda's made Fallout 3 into the game it ought to have been in the first place.

Check back for more coverage from us on Broken Steel in the near future. Meanwhile, here's what it looks like!

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Demyx

Sucks for PC users.

I really need to play more Fallout

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
    Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Ouch. Bethesda hasn't had the best of luck with this sort of thing.

TravisT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By TravisT

Will wait another week or two even on the 360 to buy it.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By RHCPfan24

So, hold on, if I haven't beaten the game yet and I play through the game with this DLC activated and get this new ending, do I get the "Take it Back" achievement for beating the game as well? I think it would work like that, but I am not sure if there is an achievement for beating that mission in the DLC pack as well.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Hitchenson

I loved Broken Steel. Ran into no issues, bar this achievment thing. But, seriously, Bethesda need to get a new test team.

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FlipperDesert

Welp, I'm glad I got sick of Fallout 3 already. What is it with Bethesda and bugs/broken game sections?

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hitchenson
    RHCPfan24 said:
    "So, hold on, if I haven't beaten the game yet and I play through the game with this DLC activated and get this new ending, do I get the "Take it Back" achievement for beating the game as well? I think it would work like that, but I am not sure if there is an achievement for beating that mission in the DLC pack as well."
    You'll get the Take It Back achievment, when you complete Take It Back. You'll then get the end of game cutscene, and after that wake up two weeks later in the Brotherhood Citadel and begin Broken Steel.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

people are having problems with the 360 dlc as well me included.
    the game has froze up 4 times since i installed the broken steel dlc, and now it wont load my saves they appear in the memory area of the 360 but ingame they do not appear in the load list, so im deleting the dlc, an the game install, clearing the cache and installing it and downloading the dlc hoping that fixes it.

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Death_Burnout

*sigh* no offense to Bethesda...but they kinda suck! i can't count how many times their games/add on's go out with problems.

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By zityz

i'll wait until the pc version is resolved and then im diving into all 3 dlc packs at once!

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By toowalrus

This thread is here.

...nah just kidding. I still haven't bought Fallout 3, I'm sure that by the time I do the problems will be fixed...

gzl5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By gzl5000

Wow, HUUUUGE surprise.

I'm so done with Bethesda and Fallout. Broken DLCs, having to pay for a decent ending, breaking VATS on PC and then waiting months to fix it...no more.
    MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MeierTheRed

Bethesda is getting sloppy with theire dlc

darkjester74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By darkjester74

Going to wait a few days until this sorts itself out before picking it up.  Doesn't it sound to you guys like Bethesda is trying to pin this on MS?  They mention DRM issues which MS is supposed to fix and sync issues with the Live servers.  I don't really care who is to blame, as long as it gets fixed quickly.

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#16  Edited By meptron

Bethesda always has great concepts for their games, but their execution is so sloppy. They need to test their stuff more before releasing it.

Kinarion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Kinarion

In the future, Red Bull comes to life.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Bethesda really can't get any luck with the fallout 3 DLC, can they.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By AndrewB

I frickin want to play this tonight. Bethesda has really dropped the ball when it comes to DLC for early Oblivion development, and much more so for Fallout 3. Of course it only affects the PC version, this time. And a DRM issue, at that. I want to give you my money, Bethesda. Please, let me.

legendary1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By legendary1

Its even worse then this... far worse... the 1.5 Patch required to use the DLC will pretty much fuck up any mods you might use. AFAIK basically any mod placed objects will crash the game the 2nd time they are loaded, so the only way to keep the game running is to have them permanently loaded no matter where in the game you are, which does horrible, HORRIBLE things to your performance. Also mod npc skins are screwed up. Thread on the bethesda forums is here
    http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=986090 .

Considering Bethesda still haven't fixed the problems the 1.4 patch brought (VATS targetting messed up in many ways), PC used are pretty much SOL with the new patch/DLC unless you want to give up all of the nice mods.

PJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PJ

"The Xbox Live servers don't seem to be fully synched yet with the additional achievements,"

Wow, they are really trying hard to blame Microsoft for the DLC being broaken. If it were any other company then that might seem reasonable but since its Bethesda it just looks liket they are blaming someone else for their ineptitude to make shit work properly. No other DLC have had theese kinds of isues that ive heard of, and twise in a row for the same game, its just proves that its all on the developer and not the service its on.

Bethesda might be the worst awesome developer there is.

Avatar image for atomic_tangerine
    Atomic_Tangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Atomic_Tangerine

I guess we could even go as far as to say that Broken Steel is BROKEN!  LOLZ!

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By CL60
    PJ said:
    ""The Xbox Live servers don't seem to be fully synched yet with the additional achievements,"Wow, they are really trying hard to blame Microsoft for the DLC being broaken. If it were any other company then that might seem reasonable but since its Bethesda it just looks liket they are blaming someone else for their ineptitude to make shit work properly. No other DLC have had theese kinds of isues that ive heard of, and twise in a row for the same game, its just proves that its all on the developer and not the service its on.Bethesda might be the worst awesome developer there is."
    That doesn't prove anything. It could simply just be them getting unlucky.
    Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Kazona

I'm wondering if Bethesda even has a QA department...

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#25  Edited By spiceninja

What the hell is wrong with Bethesda? All 3 of the DLC add-ons have come out busted. Are they so determined to hit their release dates that they just rush these things out unfinished?

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#26  Edited By ahoodedfigure

And a new generation learns about Bethsoft's version of the open beta.

LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By LiveOrDie1212

its M$'s fault.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Diamond

360 version is working fine for me so far, even got an achievement.

I think Bethesda scheduling DLC releases caused this problem, they had to rush to meet specific dates.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By dagas

...again?...I feel sorry for the people who buys these DLC's.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By hatking

OA worked just fine for me, and this I just bought today and(so far) has been working perfectly.  I don't know about The Pitt yet, I bought it today as well but haven' gotten into it yet.

Sabata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Sabata

I think the real cause of all of this is that "Shit happens."  In Bethesda's case, it happens a lot.

OptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By OptimusPrime

Where is the fuse to start the train? pm me please.

sneakysnake128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By sneakysnake128

Bethesda has the worst consistency issues of any video gaming company I've ever seen.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By maxszy

Well that's really too bad.

I bought Op: Anchorage and enjoyed it, yet it wasn't really more of what I really loved about the game. I heard the Pitt is but I put off getting it because of all the issues and just haven't yet. So I doubt I will be grabbing this any time soon.

MjHealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 15

#35  Edited By MjHealy

They never "fixed" The Pitt. I turned it on last night when I downloaded Broken Steel, the frame rate is awful, sound bugs and then the game crashed. Hopefully this won't carry over to the main Fallout 3.

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Captain_Fookup

The sad thing is no major gaming site is going to call them on their constant releasing of unfinished games and "DLC".

SoFX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SoFX

I wouldn't be surprised if it was due to the involvement of the DRM shit that they think is useful. That shit hurts people who actually buy the software, but the pirates have none of these issues because the DRM is removed from their copies. You have all heard this statment neumerous times, I just wish the devs would refuse to impliment this crap. Refuse DRM, its hurting the industry more than piracy ever did.

wizeguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By wizeguy

it should of been called "broken content" that would of been more right.

belowradar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By belowradar

I finished the DLC on my 360 this afternoon.  The only weird thing that's happening on that end is that it's not showing the 3 level 30 achievements.  My achievements shows that I've completed them all but those 3 are greyed out.  Weird.  I enjoyed the add on content quite a bit.  The Tesla Cannon is sick.  I replayed Pitt and did Broken Steel and only got to level 27.  I'm debating on replaying Operation Anchorage and seeing if that would put me close to 30 cause I've got 160 hours in and I'd hate to have to start over again just to get the last 3 achievements.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#40  Edited By spazmaster666

What I did to make sure I don't lose any of the achievements for BS was to simply create a save file right before I completed a mission and right before getting level 30 achievements. That way even if the achievements earned don't get updated when the servers do (right now when I go to the dashboard, my achievements listing for Fallout 3 still says 1180/1200 rather then 1310/1350, which is what it should be) I can just load those saves and get the achievements again in a few minutes.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Media_Master

Bet it'll be broken

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Afroman269

360 version works just fine

Doobit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Doobit

How long do you think I'll have to wait to get a GotY edition on the PC with all the DLC bundled in?

chapman12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By chapman12

thank god a major website has actual proof there gona fix it i was gettin pissed about this

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.