Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 4

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Nov 10, 2015

The Fallout series continues in a post-apocalyptic Boston, Massachusetts.

Fallout 4 Tips & Tricks - (NO Spoilers)

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Okay I might be missing something, but how do I rotate walls 90° at corners? It just snaps and keeps going straight so I cant close in my building without having a gap by not snapping.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

@thatonedudenick: Have you tried using floors as a snap to grid? Someone suggested it earlier in this thread and it totally works great. Now I just lay out the floor first and snap the walls to that.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thatonedudenick: Have you tried using floors as a snap to grid? Someone suggested it earlier in this thread and it totally works great. Now I just lay out the floor first and snap the walls to that.

Ah. I wasn't using floor tiles. That makes sense. Thanks!

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#155  Edited By Bane

@e30bmw said:

I have a couple of questions about companions.

1. Can you romance more than 1 companion? If so, I'm gonna do it for everyone haha.

2. Does it make it super obvious when you reach the top level with a person (so you get their perk). The only one I have so far is Nick and his was obvious because I did his quest to get it. But I gather that most companions you just have to reach top rank. I've had it pop up that a companion "admires" you and we had a little chat. Is there a next level I have to reach?

1. I don't know.
    2. Yes, it's super obvious. You'll get a game-pausing, in-your-face message that you've earned their perk.

Edit: Last night I tested some tips I read here and around the web:

• You can't recharge fusion cores with the generators you pull them out of. Once you pull out the core you can no longer interact with the generator. Maybe there's another type of generator I haven't come across yet that allows this, but I think it's unlikely.
    • You can't store weapons in the weapons station, armor in the armor station, etc. All of the crafting stations pool their storage with the others in the same settlement.
    • You can't share weapons and armor through supply lines. You can only share junk and weapon/armor mods as far as I can tell. I didn't test aid or misc items.
    • A crafting station's inventory only show what's been stored locally at the particular settlement they're located. Inventory shared through supply lines is not displayed, but is still accessible. Example: I stored a unique armor mod in Sanctuary (a red helmet light). The workshop in Red Rocket didn't show it in the inventory, but the power armor station equipped the one stored at Sanctuary before it tried to build a new one.

Also, does anyone know how shipments of items that you buy from merchants is supposed to work? I broke down and bought a shipment of screws from Trashcan Carla. She took my caps, but didn't give me any damn screws! Those shipments are a bad deal, by the way. That shipment of screws cost me roughly 30% more per screw than buying the junk that contained screws and scrapping it myself.

Avatar image for bernard_bernoulli
    Bernard_Bernoulli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paulkemp: You need to have a Power Armor Frame for pieces of Power Armor. You can exit the frame anywhere, and the armor will stand there like a mannequin

Eselhut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bane: Shipments are just weightless junk items that break down for large amounts of the resource they are for. Put them in your workbench and they count toward your resource total.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eselhut: I swear I did that, and when I went to build the weapon mod I wanted it still said "Screws 2/4", not "Screws 27/4". I'll have to double-check my workbench when I get home.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

I can't get my FOV to change. I've followed all the guides, even used an ini editor from Nexus. Not working. :/

eternalshades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After finding out I had an awesome gun in my inventory I didn't use for hours because I didn't notice it was there, I found it really helpful to rename all my weapons to a more consistent shorthand.

Personally I find the extra verbiage on the gun names to be mostly useless. I don't really care if it's a "tactical snub-nosed green-sight assault rifle of the marksman" once I'm out of the gun editor, all I need to know is the gun archetype (pistol, launcher, rifle, shotgun, sniper, and "special" being my main classes) the ammo type, and how much damage it does.

ex:

pistol - .308 - 27dmg

pistol - 10mm - 32dmg - SUPP

rifle - 5.56mm - 51dmg - fire

rifle - cell - 38 dmg

shotgun - shell - 42dmg

shotgun - shell - 64dmg

sniper - .38 - 48dmg - SUPP

sniper - .50 - 58dmg - NV

supp = suppressed

That way I can very easily see if I have overlap in ammo type, how much damage each gun do, and it since I'm using lower case for the first word new guns don't get mixed with old guns which makes it very easy to go through new items. It also makes it very obvious which weapon is more powerful when there are redundancies (see shotguns in the example).

This might be a little less helpful for people who don't invest in the weapon modification perks like gun-nut, because then you probably care a lot more about the individual mods on a weapon. As I'm playing with those perk, I already know each gun already has the mods I like/want.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

After finding out I had an awesome gun in my inventory I didn't use for hours because I didn't notice it was there, I found it really helpful to rename all my weapons to a more consistent shorthand.

Personally I find the extra verbiage on the gun names to be mostly useless. I don't really care if it's a "tactical snub-nosed green-sight assault rifle of the marksman" once I'm out of the gun editor, all I need to know is the gun archetype (pistol, launcher, rifle, shotgun, sniper, and "special" being my main classes) the ammo type, and how much damage it does.

ex:

pistol - .308 - 27dmg

pistol - 10mm - 32dmg - SUPP

rifle - 5.56mm - 51dmg - fire

rifle - cell - 38 dmg

shotgun - shell - 42dmg

shotgun - shell - 64dmg

sniper - .38 - 48dmg - SUPP

sniper - .50 - 58dmg - NV

supp = suppressed

That way I can very easily see if I have overlap in ammo type, how much damage each gun do, and it since I'm using lower case for the first word new guns don't get mixed with old guns which makes it very easy to go through new items. It also makes it very obvious which weapon is more powerful when there are redundancies (see shotguns in the example).

This might be a little less helpful for people who don't invest in the weapon modification perks like gun-nut, because then you probably care a lot more about the individual mods on a weapon. As I'm playing with those perk, I already know each gun already has the mods I like/want.

Not to mention this method has the advantage of doing things alphabetically. Then your pistols, rifles, etc. are all in the same spot as opposed to scattered to hell and gone in your inventory just because the mod starts with a different letter.

Seriously, the way this game names its gun mods is dumb.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@e30bmw: You can romance multiple companions.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By odinsmana

@e30bmw:To eloborate on a previous answer there are three levels of positive affinity you can get with your companions. "Admires" is the second one (I think). After you reach each new affinity level the companion will have a new conversation ready for you (I think you have to listen to them to get the perk). After they reach the third level "Idolize" they will talk to you and then you get the perk and sometimes the option to romance them.

P. S. Fun fact: You don`t need to have your companions with you to benefit from their perk.

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sessh said:

@e30bmw: You can romance multiple companions.

Sweet, thanks. I'm gonna romance everyone haha.

@e30bmw:To eloborate on a previous answer there are three levels of positive affinity you can get with your companions. "Admires" is the second one (I think). After you reach each new affinity level the companion will have a new conversation ready for you (I think you have to listen to them to get the perk). After they reach the third level "Idolize" they will talk to you and then you get the perk and sometimes the option to romance them.

P. S. Fun fact: You don`t need to have your companions with you to benefit from their perk.

Okay cool. Right now I just have the one from Nick and it's pretty sweet. I'd like to get every one eventually.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Might as well romance every companion that you can. You get the "Lover's Embrace" perk when you sleep while they are in your party, which gives you 15% experience boost. Essentially 5% more than the "Well Rested" perk.

ObiKwiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@amafi said:

is there a way to get around the atrocious hacking minigame?

I don't remember a lot about playing New Vegas, but I thought I remembered the hacking game being merely bad, not god-awful.

This thing works great.

http://kennelbound.com/fallout3/

shodan1138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@obikwiet said:
    @amafi said:

I don't remember a lot about playing New Vegas, but I thought I remembered the hacking game being merely bad, not god-awful.

This thing works great.

http://kennelbound.com/fallout3/

The hacking minigame is the same across all the modern fallout games, but in Fallout 4, when you get locked out, it's only for ten seconds as opposed to forever. So there's really no consequence for trying (and failing) multiple times.

BigSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any excess resources your settlements generate will show up in your workshop. I've got 4 industrial water purifiers making me about 100 bottles of purified water each day. I am living the dream of being a Water Baron.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

@bigspoon: Going along with that, if you have shops in your settlements, make sure to check your workbench for caps under Misc. Maybe that's already been mentioned, so I'll throw in this one for free. Food weighs you down a surprising amount, so keep your food to an absolute minimum and restore your stock when you head back to a settlement.

poveren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

For companions such as Codsworth, if I just keep crafting and crafting can I get to Idolized in a single attempt or is there a time element as well?

ObiKwiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@bigspoon: Food weighs you down a surprising amount, so keep your food to an absolute minimum and restore your stock when you head back to a settlement.

The same can be said for mods (if you are a "gun nut"). They can be safely stored in your workbench. I also think they are shared between settlements if supply lines are set up. Not sure about that though. I always port back to sanctuary to clean out my inventory.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poveren said:

For companions such as Codsworth, if I just keep crafting and crafting can I get to Idolized in a single attempt or is there a time element as well?

There seems to be a cool down timer before the "Codsworth liked that" text will show up again. Having a bed near by and simply sleeping for 2 hours before upgrading something else might do the trick.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hangman's Alley has some structures that can't be scrapped in workshop mode. Does anyone know how to get rid of them? I already tried clicking on them and typing 'disable' in the console, but that didn't work.

My plan is to use Hangman's Alley as a base for my companions and I. As I began to redesign the place these existing structures kept foiling my plans. I'll work around them if I have to, but I'd rather just get rid of them.

diehappygames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amafi said:

For those who haven't discovered this yet: Nick Valentine can hack! Especially if you already enjoy having him as your companion, command him to hack any terminals you run into. I don't know if he can handle ALL difficulties, but the hardest I've had him crack is expert and it works every time.

Vigilance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Those looking for some help with VATS- Perception matters a lot. I traded out my combat helmet for a beret and sunglasses (both with Perception bonuses) taking me from 7 to 9 and the difference has been quite noticeable.

Also, each piece of armor with the Ultra Light mod gives you a +5 AP bonus.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

You can zoom-in on your pipboy (map, inventory etc) by pressing the change camera button (touchpad on the PS4 and probably the equivalent on other platforms).

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Those looking for some help with VATS- Perception matters a lot. I traded out my combat helmet for a beret and sunglasses (both with Perception bonuses) taking me from 7 to 9 and the difference has been quite noticeable.

Yeah VATS felt terrible at the start of the game to me but it got drastically better when I went with Perception.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Luck has some great tail-end skills that can help make up the difference too, if you're going for a weird, fun build. With Mysterious Stranger, Four-Leaf Clover, and Grim Reaper, you can keep your criticals and AP stocked easily. Throw in a couple of ranks of ricochet and the "store a critical" perk, and you've basically got a weird badass.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure if this is just a bug in my game, but McCready's companion perk is suppose to give you a permanent +20 to head shots. Instead, mine is set to 95 constantly.

Speaking of companion perks, get Piper's asap as it doubles the exp from all locations discovered.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turambar: 95% is the highest a VATS accuracy shot can go. Think it's been like that since 3. Annoying, but that's how it is.

Cagliostro88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By Cagliostro88

@turambar said:

Not sure if this is just a bug in my game, but McCready's companion perk is suppose to give you a permanent +20 to head shots. Instead, mine is set to 95 constantly.

Speaking of companion perks, get Piper's asap as it doubles the exp from all locations discovered.

There is a known bug that makes mcready perk give +2000% accuray to headshots in vats instead of +20%. You'll always have 95%, even if you snipes from miles away

Bumpton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This is maybe a silly question, so sorry if it's already been answered!

I keep reading that certain junk is in really short supply when it comes to crafting. I'm early on still so I'd like to mark the important stuff for search right away! Can you guys suggest what junk items in particular I should tag? The only two I see repeatedly are screws and adhesive. Any others?

Also, is there a way to tag specific components? I only see the option to tag when trying to craft and I don't have the item. I'm on PC, btw.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bumpton: I come up short on aluminum a lot. Open your pip-boy, go to the junk section of your inventory, and there's a button to switch to component view where you can tag specific components.

MrSensible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bumpton: I also keep Copper, Circuitry, Crystal, Nuclear Materials and Fiber Optics tagged. Copper and Circuitry are especially important for building turrets and powering settlements.

The Level 2 Scrapper perk highlights tagged components (or any containers with tagged items) in the world, which has been a game-changer for my scavenging runs. Now I'm always stocked up on rare components, which are often found in junk items that you might not expect.

Bumpton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@mrsensible: @bane:
    Awesome! Thanks, guys! I was definitely already eyeballing that level 2 Scrapper perk...

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turambar said:

There is a known bug that makes mcready perk give +2000% accuray to headshots in vats instead of +20%. You'll always have 95%, even if you snipes from miles away

Also, just do you know, there is a PC mod that fixes it but if you're on console... I cant help you.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By hatking

@sessh: Lots of useful stuff in there (DID NOT KNOW ABOUT SUPPLY LINES UGH), but I like VANS. I was fucking lost in the city when I was trying to find Valentine. I kept rounding corners into group of Super Mutants or legendary enemies that I wasn't equipped to handle at that moment. Ends up I wasn't taking the "right" path. I got VANS and got straight to where I was going without crossing the path of anybody too rough. It's not the best perk, but in this game the perk points come fast and loose. I suspect I'll be in the 80's before I finish the main story. So, even if it only serves its purpose a few times, I'm okay with it.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By Turambar

Something quest related this time.

If you reach the point of no return with the non-Brotherhood of Steel faction by doing the first step of a quest called Mass Fusion, you will be locked out of a number of Brotherhood quests before they would reach their point of no return normally.

Console commands got me around that on the PC, but console players beware. If you started that quest, do not talk to the first npc it tells you to until you're ready.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By Shadow

Specialize in unarmed or melee (yes they're different and yes there are unarmed weapons that don't get melee bonuses)

There's a very good reason I've never run out of ammo

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@shadow: Eh, I feel like unless you: A. never use vats at all and B. use automatic weapons all the time to boot; there is like no reason to ever run out of ammo anyway. I am knee deep in literally thousands of rounds of ammo for every gun in my 10 quicklsots.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tennmuerti:

Also it's way more fun than using guns. And more challenging finding ways to close the distance. Usually involving sprinting serpentine at them from sniper range to literally punch their heads off

warcrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok tips and tricks! Here's a workshop video covering the basics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEYty7x6BME

Here's a collection all the Fallout 4 videos I made. It includes an adhesives guide, Power Armor guide, 1080p/60 Ultra settings on PC, and my Review. Hope it helps!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUeP4wqAXXLAPtA87Yx1JEi9Mn7H57Rnd

DasUberOgre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know if it's been touched on or if it's more of a console centric glitch but if you want to save your sanity -- DISABLE DISTRESS BEACONS BEFORE SCRAPPING THEM.

If yous scrap them in your settlement the game will forever ping a distress beacon in the spot where it was scrapped and you will never be able to turn it off because it doesn't exist anymore. Also seeing as the most they get you is a few steel it's almost never worth picking them up in the first place. Just turn them off and move on.

Also note that if you do NOT deactivate a beacon and instead stash it in your workbench the same still happens. It will ping from your workbench.

warcrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Understanding Supply Lines: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nmuIS6wnFo

unregistered00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By unregistered00

Supply Lines.

Just in case some people are just getting a hang of the settlement building, only one line (provisioner) per settlement is needed (e.g. Sanctuary > Red Rocket > Greentop > Whatever > .... Hangman's > Castle > etc.) and they will all share the junk supplies. No need to have more than one provisioner going out per settlement (redundant). Doesn't matter how far it is so don't bother with an organized supply line. Your provisioners are pretty much immortal when outside the green settlement range).

Got a supply web before and the only way that I undid it is the hard way (fast travel > bell > plant or build a scavenger rack > assign them to it > make sure that the "this thing has been assigned" pops up". If it doesn't maybe you're at the cap of your charistma level +10 settlers thing.

Also, just in case you don't bother with guides, just bother with this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CR8nOTDhh8 . Advanced base building guide. I'm regretting that I haven't watched it before I hit level 39 with 16 settlements running.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Companion affinity, specifically MacCready.

There is a cooldown using in game time for certain actions giving you affinity. It will reset on a 'new session' though. Meaning any time you load. So with MacCready he likes it when you steal something so hover over something you can steal, quick save, load, and when you take it you'll get the affinity. Then go up to the next thing, quick save, load, and steal again. Each time you load it resets the cooldown.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Oh my god. I just realized that you can tag enemies MGSV/FarCry style if you have a recon scope equipped on your gun.

No idea if it's been posted on here yet but this is a game changer for me.

poveren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Does a companion need to be in your party to get the max affinity. For example, I've been running around with Valentine so far, but I do all of my stuff in Sanctuary, which is where Codsworth hangs out and "loves" every time I craft something. Will I eventually get the idolized pop up or do I need to have him in my party and then have the conversation etc. ?

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#200  Edited By ArtisanBreads
    @nevergameover said:

Oh my god. I just realized that you can tag enemies MGSV/FarCry style if you have a recon scope equipped on your gun.

No idea if it's been posted on here yet but this is a game changer for me.

Wow no way. That is big. I was wondering what those scopes could offer you can't get from the lesser ones.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.