Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Far Cry 6

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Oct 07, 2021

Far Cry 6 takes place in a tropical country known as Yara, which is ruled by a dictator who has instigated a revolution.

Far Cry canon (Fary Cry 5 spoilers)

Cleric22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

So with FC6 on its why my co-op buddy and I decided to finish Far Cry 5. We sort of fell off of it in the wake of many other co-op games but got back to it this weekend. I wasn't going to play FC New Dawn because it was basically a reskin of 5 and what I ASSUMED was to be non-canon.

Then I beat FC5 and when THE COUNTRY GOT NUKED We were a bit taken aback by the implications about how New Dawn is canonical. New Dawn was cheap and on sale so I agreed to play through it.

So I haven't looked into it too deep but I'm wondering where FC6 is going to sit in the game world. The series never really had a canon per se, but there are connections at least between 4 and 5. Has anyone looked into this yet?

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#2  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I can't imagine anyone but Herk (who appeared in at least one other FC) would be in FC6. But it could always be a parallel world with fanservice callbacks.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm gonna guess they just ignore Far Cry 5, or at least continue from an ending where the nuclear war doesn't happen. The story of 5, and particularly the ending, were pretty universally panned, so it makes sense they'd want to walk that back. Kind of hard to blame them to be honest - that ending was really stupid.

Cleric22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@therealturk: We literally just beat it a day ago, and it was stunned silence followed by weird sputtering. I can't believe I never knew this ending.

On another note new dawn was 20 bucks on sale and the crafting stuff is neat.

Kunakai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sparky_buzzsaw: CIA agent Willis (2, 3, 4 and 5) has good reason to be there.

Cleric22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kunakai: I forgot about him! Was he in 5? Like I said I've been playing it off and on since launch so my lore is a bit fuzzy.

Kunakai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cleric22: Yeah, only for a single mission as far as I remember.

(I kept shooting him after completing the mission for reasons I can't quite remember. )

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

...But what about Jack Carver?

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@facelessvixen said:

Incidentally, anyone remember when Far Cry was about fighting biomutants created by a mad scientist trying to take over the world rather than climbing a bunch of towers and bad excuses for weed jokes?

Cleric22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@therealturk: To be fair they got rid of the towers at least in 5.

I do remember the old game! I played it back in college and was really surprised at the turn it took. Still though I like that its (generally) more grounded in later games. I think if FC 2 had co-op it probably would have been my favorite overall.

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mikewhy

@therealturk: You seem pretty flippant on far cry already, but New Dawn already showed us that the nuclear event did very much happen. They make the ending and any choices you made in 5 useless in that game.

> Incidentally, anyone remember when Far Cry was about fighting biomutants created by a mad scientist trying to take over the world

Yeah, wasn't that one game, from 17 years ago?

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikewhy: Technically there were two mutant zombie far cry games. The original and the console version (Primal?) where hawain shirt man transforms into one

But yeah, basically Far Cry 2 came out and nobody ever looked back. Hell, wasn't a big part of the marketing of FC2 even that it was controversial and about the political hell that is blood diamonds? And then it was around 5 that it became "our game about doomsday preppers where we say they are right is not political"

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

@facelessvixen said:

Incidentally, anyone remember when Far Cry was about fighting biomutants created by a mad scientist trying to take over the world rather than climbing a bunch of towers and bad excuses for weed jokes?

Remember how the first game was just an homage to The Island of Doctor Moreau by H. G. Wells? But very few people who played Far Cry 1 read the book, or saw the most excellent film, and didn't know it.

infantpipoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

User Lists: 24

#15 infantpipoc  Online

@therealturk said:

@facelessvixen said:

Remember how the first game was just an homage to The Island of Doctor Moreau by H. G. Wells? But very few people who played Far Cry 1 read the book, or saw the most excellent film, and didn't know it.

Played original Far Cry in 2013 myself. Where former Giantbomb staff member Austin Walker called similarity between MGSV and FC2, I would call similarity to FC.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.