Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fez

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Apr 13, 2012

A puzzle platformer developed by Polytron that uses a 2D perspective shifting mechanic to solve puzzles and complete levels. The main character, a white creature named Gomez, wears a fez and is obsessed with collecting hats.

Monolith Theory *spoilers*

Lokno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Lokno

So I spent days trying to figure out the monolith puzzle on my own, only hearing rumors that it was very hard. So I was a bit surprised to find that, when I finally gave up, that the solution was external, and no one has worked out how you obtain the code in-game. I was a little miffed, but then it occurred to me:

The game is about the gift of extraterritorial knowledge. The monolith is a direct nod to one of the most famous examples of this concept in fiction. So then, isn't it perfect that the solution to that puzzle internally is brute force (with millions of practical combinations to try), and the only quick way to progress is interference from an external source?

alexpiercey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By alexpiercey

I suppose nothing can be "too meta" for this game.

flufflogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By flufflogic

The fact that there's a website of brute force codes that asks you to tell it which works for you tells me that, yes, this is truly a puzzle of experimentation.

Lokno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Lokno

Here's some additional reasons I think my theory checks out:

• Assuming the logic to find this code exists, with so many eyes trained on the problem, it is hard to believe no one found that logic, even now.
    • The only clue is that the map is burned, missing the other part of the solution. This is the absolute truth: the solution has been lost to that world.
    • The symbol under the monolith is an infinite Polytron logo, implying that this is an everlasting mystery.
    • If I spent five years on a game, and created a near impossible but logical challenge, I would be heartbroken if the solution was leaked. I would want to know if someone could solve it. The solution was given without fuse to an insider, and in my opinion this is a red flag.
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Bollard

@Lokno: Makes sense.

Phoenix778m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Phoenix778m

I still think it would have been better to have to solve.the second part of the map with a mirrored image. That makes more sense to me.

Lokno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Lokno

@Phoenix778m said:

I still think it would have been better to have to solve.the second part of the map with a mirrored image. That makes more sense to me.

Yeah, that's a cool idea. I agree that a solution in game would have been more rewarding, especially from someone that tried to complete everything in a vacuum. I'm really intrigued that a community grew around this game and its mysteries; people took something that could have just have been frustrating and made it into a collaborative game. Nevertheless, I can't shake the feeling that Fez is a little incomplete. Phil got bored of the platformer, built up this meta game around it, and than later became bored of that too. The platforming is never taxing and reward for solving the challenging encoded puzzles trails off. I'll be really interested to see if Phil does a postmortem of the project at GDC.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.