Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy VIII

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Feb 11, 1999

In the eighth numbered Final Fantasy title, Squall and his band of mercenaries fight to save their world from conquest and destruction. It introduced several new concepts to the franchise, including a subplot with an alternate main character, level-scaling enemies, and the Junction system.

Playing My First Final Fantasy Game - Parts 9-20: Final Fantasy VIII is Breaking Me

• 64 results
    jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

@zombiepie I just finished Myst.

haha how many times did you have to run through the same puzzles

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

@karkarov: you sound like a fun guy to be around at parties.

@zombiepie: The later party members you pick up will be better. Don't lose hope!

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Final Fantasy VIII sucks so much

I do not envy you

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@dochaus said:

@zombiepie: The later party members you pick up will be better. Don't lose hope!

Don't lie. Irvine is the worst

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#57  Edited By hassun
    ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#58  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

@theblue: @hassun: @dochaus: @bocam: @thatpinguino: @marinoAlright this is going to break your hearts, but I can now say with about 90% assurance that I cannot play this game anymore. So here's my problem:

The PC controls are causing me to not be able to play this game. One example, I attempted to perform Zell's limit break, but all of the prompts are either PS1 controller prompts or incredibly inconvenient keyboard keys. Then we have Squall, who I just found out I have to press G and not X to perform his. There are entire screens where I have no idea how to navigate them.

I'm sorry but I cannot play this game.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombiepie: Can't get your hands on a controller? Either way I don't remember having any issues playing FFVIII on PC...

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It's still baffling to me why anyone would pick 8 for their first Final Fantasy. I'd think picking up the HD version of 10 would be the more obvious choice. Or the start of the 3D era, 7. Or one of the beloved SNES ones, 4 and 6.

Chillicothe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#61  Edited By Chillicothe

The longer it's been since I've played this, the better in my more RPG experienced mind FF8 gets.

Oh, and the batshit has ONLY just BEGUN (wait until someone tips you about the hidden battle tricks that turn it into an entirely differently played game).

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#62  Edited By TheBlue

Of all the things to make someone ragequit FF8, I did not expect keyboard controls to be the one to do it.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#63 ZombiePie  Staff

@hassun: @theblue: IT'S ALL GOOD IN THE HOOD G! I BEAT DIABLO AND WE ARE BACK ON TRACK!!!

@paulunga said:

It's still baffling to me why anyone would pick 8 for their first Final Fantasy. I'd think picking up the HD version of 10 would be the more obvious choice. Or the start of the 3D era, 7. Or one of the beloved SNES ones, 4 and 6.

Sure, but as I indicated on the first blog entry I do not own any Sony platforms, and the Steam versions of IV and VI are the DS remakes which didn't feel authentic. Also, it's going to be funnier if I'm playing 8.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@zombiepie: Final Fantasy 8 on PC was my first one as well. The controls are batshit insane, but you'll get used to it.

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#65  Edited By paulunga

@zombiepie: Yeah, I get the reasoning, though VII is also available, isn't it? (not that that one is all that much better without any nostalgia to back it up) Incidentally, I also played this game on PC back in the day. On a keyboard. I remember it not bothering me that much because back then you had weird ass control schemes and other hoops to jump through to play on the PC all the time.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#66  Edited By MEATBALL

Quistis is 18, a year older than Squall. If you were Squall tell me you wouldn't. >_>

tonka_92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By tonka_92

one thing to reduce your insanity, I find it preferable to just physically attack or use the magic command than to summon, simply because of the animation time (and if you have a good Str-J or Mag-J you'll deal more damage anyway), you may have to heal slightly more, but you will go less crazy. Also you are at the point where you can increase your salary by doing the seed tests in the menu, so look those up and money won't be an issue for buying potions

if you are dead set on summoning, there is a boost ability that I don't want to know how badly is implemented in the pc version, which is another reason to drop the summoning

also, there are two pages of abilities on the GFs if the controls have obscured this, and several GFs have refining abilities where you can turn common drops into magic, learn those ASAP to avoid draw-grinding

other than that, enjoy the ride

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Ha, bravo.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By hassun

@meatball: If you were Squall you totally wouldn't. After all, you'd be Squall.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#71  Edited By ViciousReiven

Easily, unironically, the best Final Fantasy, I can't fathom how people can be so wrong about that.

Crommi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Crommi

@tonka_92 said:

also, there are two pages of abilities on the GFs if the controls have obscured this, and several GFs have refining abilities where you can turn common drops into magic, learn those ASAP to avoid draw-grinding

This cannot be emphasized enough and I don't recall if game ever tells you about it. I like the Junction system because it allows for greater customization of your party, but tutorials also make it look more confusing than it really is, not helped by the terrible controls of the PC-port. Basically, getting full stacks of basic spells by extracting them from items makes the game much more enjoyable as you don't have to rely on long-cast GF summons.

Still, FF9 or FF10 would have been better (=boring) choice for first FF game. FF7 is mixed bag, for many it was their first FF game but it has not aged well at all, controls are clunky which is not helped by the poor camera-control common to early 3D titles. Also sounds and graphics are not up to what you'd expect from PS1 game and it feels like a game between generations. Even the SNES games have fared better, you could put FF5 and FF6 on Steam today and they'd be objectively better than most of the 2D-RPGs being sold there.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.