Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Dec 26, 2013

A collection for PS3, PS4, Vita and PC, containing Final Fantasy X International and Final Fantasy X-2 International + Last Mission featuring HD visuals and a remastered soundtrack.

Chocobo Catcher

BretF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Been having issues with this minigame on the vita. The Chocobo controls seem wonky. Doesn't seem to matter whether I tap the D-pad or hold it in. How was everyone's experience with this minigame? On the vita version and the PS3 version does the PS3 controller help? Lowest I was able to get 3 seconds.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@bretf: I did it on vita with, I believe, the analogue stick. The controls for the Chocobo are definitely wonky, but then, they were wonky on the PS2 version as well. It's probably intentionally aggravating; you really aren't supposed to be at it without a significant amount of luck (especially with the positioning of the flags on the first ramp down towards the field and then the appearances of the birds; if a single one hits you you're probably going to fail.)

My basic approach was to try it a few dozen times in the evening before I went to bed. If you miss more than four flags on the first ramp, or get hit by two birds, just put the Vita down and read a book or something; at the very least the race will complete itself without requiring your input. (This applies when you have enough experience to know what you're doing; up until that point, all the practice you can get is valuable.) At some point muscle memory takes over, and eventually you'll get a lucky setup and get down to 0. You'll have some exasperating moments before then, though, for sure. Probably took me ~200 races to get it done.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TheBlue

@bretf: It's supposed to be messed up like you can't totally control the Chocobo. Do not hold the D-pad though, only tap it. There are a lot of good tip tutorials on Youtube that I used. One very important strategy if to always do long sweeping zigzags the entire time. Quick, sudden movements will get you hit every time. Also important to know is that the birds will alternate aiming for you and aiming for the other guy. It's a good idea to keep track of when they're going for the other guy to stay out of his way and grab some balloons. I'm pretty sure you need at least 13 balloons to get 0.0.

It's really tough and frustrating, I know. It took me a good long while to feel like I was good at the game and even then, it comes down to luck and rng. I thought it was going to take me days until one race it just happened. Keep at it and if you get frustrated, come back later.

Oh, and like Rorie said, if you don't get at least 4 balloons on the first ramp, don't even bother at that point, just let the race end to save yourself the trouble.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I've completed this mini-game many times on multiple playthroughs. While the advice for not bothering if you don't get many on the first ramp is generally good, it is totally completeable without getting any on the first ramp (I got to 0 once but making a B-line for the shortest paths and managing to get 12 balloons on the way, none on the first ramp). Its also possible if get hit by birds (but due to the added pause, one bird hit adds more time than a balloon grab) and I have got 0 with 16 balloons and 2 birds before. Also, remember that the wave of birds change between aiming for you and aiming for the other rider, but either of you can be hit by all the birds (so you can take theirs, or they can block yours). For some runs, being behind is better as the balloons are spread so far apart the first rider cannot claim all of them (And you can use them to block the birds coming for you) whereas other times the balloons are very close together and so you want to be in front to obtain them.

Final thing about the winning of it, you will get the sigil but you will also get a guy at the top-left of the calm lands to move out of the way of blocking a small passage. Beneath is a Celestial weapon but the Celestial Mirror is required to obtain it. If you don't have it when you complete this quest, don't worry, all you have to do is get the Mirror and beat the Rider again for the man to get out of the way again (and no worries about getting a 0.0 timer this time, simply winning is enough).

Good Luck! (Also do the Chocobo game/maze at the Requiem Temple - where you get the Cloudy Mirror - for some fantastic items, the earlier you do it will allow you to put Master Theif on equipment which is incredibly helpful at getting items - always getting rare items in steals).

BretF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally got it today. Got hit once and grabbed 15 balloons.:D Glad that hell is done. Thanks for all the advice everyone.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By rorie

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.