Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

Final Fantasy XIII: The first 2 hours

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

I have never played a Final Fantasy game before, so FF13 is really my first experience (I have played RPG's before thou). 

First off, the production values floored me. Its very clear that Square-Enix didn't skimp out here. So after the awesomeness of the visuals have worn off, I started to look at the game more objectively. First off the story didn't make any since at first. It's not that its a super complicated story, but they don't explain it very well. Its like they assumed you already knew the history of the world and the terms they keep throwing out like "Le'ci". The game does have a mass effect like codex thou, and after 5 minutes of reading it, the story made complete sense. Kind of weird that I had to read a couple of paragraphs to get the story; couldn't they just have explained it in there beautiful looking cut-scenes? The structure so far is very liner. I can tell I'm still in the setup part off that game, and I assume it will get more open later on. Still, I've been fine with the liner feel so far, and it hasn't bothered me. As for the combat, its a mixed bag. On the one end, I can tell that the combat will get more advanced later on; as I'm slowly getting little pieces added on. But on the other hand,  What I have to work with at the moment has been rather slow, with not much effect on my part. The only things I can do are attack, secondary attack, or auto-attack (which just picks one of them for me). When I comes to a combat structure like this, it seems like the fun and challenge is in picking strings of different moves and coming up with strategies for each enemy. So far, the game has been holding my hand so much that the fun and challenge of combat just isn't there. 
    I plan on sticking with it thou; I like the characters (expect Vanille), and the story seems interesting. I just hope that the combat picks up, or I may not want to keep playing.

Inf225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Inf225

Don't worry... this game is gonna come back and kick your ass and then some.. give it another couple hours...

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Addfwyn

The reason they don't explain it directly to you is that it'd be very out of character.  The entire 'show, don't tell' philosophy.  Having Saze lecture you on what the world is like would just take you out of it, and be very poor storytelling.  They prefer to hopefully let you figure it out by context, but if you really can't they did include the datalogue as a crutch. 

Yes, the combat gets MUCH more involved, probably pretty soon from where you are at.  You'll unlock the paradigm and role system soon, and the difficult will ramp up by the boss of the next area.  

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By jeanluc  Staff
    @Addfwyn said:
     Yes, the combat gets MUCH more involved, probably pretty soon from where you are at.  You'll unlock the paradigm and role system soon, and the difficult will ramp up by the boss of the next area.   "
    I figured a much; I just don't like games that require a few hours to get good.
    Magresda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Magresda
    @wasteguru said:

" @Addfwyn said:

Yes, the combat gets MUCH more involved, probably pretty soon from where you are at.  You'll unlock the paradigm and role system soon, and the difficult will ramp up by the boss of the next area.   "
    I figured a much; I just don't like games that require a few hours to get good. "
    Pretty much all JRPG's take a couple hours to get some steam going, whether that be through combat or story. I don't know if you're there yet, but it makes sense story-wise to introduce paradigm and crystarium at the point they did.
    CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By CharleyTony

HEy there is a codex,, it is called a datalog... in the menu (triangle or Y)... 

but I do agree that the game needed a full spoken intro that explains everything, not everyone is gonna read some text in a menu. At least Mass Effect's codex has spoken dialog for it ! 

Auto-attack is the stupidiest thing I have ever heard or seen. That feature and the fact that you dont control the other party members makes this game almost play itself... 
    I want a menu that says this: 

fight 
    magic 
    special thing only you can do 
    item 

/end of story 

Hope it picks up after the lame first hour !!! LOL
    Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Addfwyn

I'd recommend breaking yourself of the habit of using auto-battle early on if you can help it.  The auto-battle is often somewhat questionable in how it assigns attacks, and will generally make fights take a bit longer by not properly using aoe or abilities that are more powerful in certain situations (basically it lacks context awaeness)

This will make it very difficult to get some of the trophies that require 5-staring specific fights, including the boss of the game, since it is based entirely on speed of completion.  You can probably get through a lot with the auto-battle, maybe even most of the game, but you probably won't do it with as high rankings as you can get otherwise.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Addfwyn said:
    " I'd recommend breaking yourself of the habit of using auto-battle early on if you can help it.  The auto-battle is often somewhat questionable in how it assigns attacks, and will generally make fights take a bit longer by not properly using aoe or abilities that are more powerful in certain situations (basically it lacks context awaeness) This will make it very difficult to get some of the trophies that require 5-staring specific fights, including the boss of the game, since it is based entirely on speed of completion.  You can probably get through a lot with the auto-battle, maybe even most of the game, but you probably won't do it with as high rankings as you can get otherwise. "
    Which nets you better stuff. Also like I believe I mentioned in a different thread in the options menu you can change the cursor to automatically start on abilities. Fully suggest it to everyone that cares about finishing battles faster with higher ranks.
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Yukoei
    @Addfwyn said:
    " I'd recommend breaking yourself of the habit of using auto-battle early on if you can help it.  The auto-battle is often somewhat questionable in how it assigns attacks, and will generally make fights take a bit longer by not properly using aoe or abilities that are more powerful in certain situations (basically it lacks context awaeness) This will make it very difficult to get some of the trophies that require 5-staring specific fights, including the boss of the game, since it is based entirely on speed of completion.  You can probably get through a lot with the auto-battle, maybe even most of the game, but you probably won't do it with as high rankings as you can get otherwise. "
    People actually use Auto-battle? I havent used Auto-battle once and im like 15 hours in.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Yukoei: Apparently they do, I dunno it just sort of seems like a version of "easy mode" you find in other games. I generally never play on easy and go straight to normal or hard so yeah all the more reason to avoid it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.