Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

I just can’t get used to this new battle system!

matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By matt

The only thing really stopping me from enjoying FF13 at the moment is its new battle system. I feel like everything happens to fast and I can’t really see what’s going on. Because of the speed it seems to me that auto attack is the only thing I can use to keep up but then I’m just hitting A over and over without any real tactics. I don’t know maybe I just need to play some more. Does anyone else feel the same or have any tips? 

StickShifter05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By StickShifter05

play some more, it gets better.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Addfwyn

Well, at the start you're just using Attacks, it takes an hour or two before the combat system really opens up.  You'll want to get used to the pacing by that time though, cause it starts to get pretty crazy and difficult after that. 

You can turn the combat speed down in the settings, you may find it more comfortable on the Slow setting.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#4  Edited By Brackynews

Don't worry, you have about 15 hours of tutorial progress to get used to it. ;)
    But seriously, how far along are you?  Much like FFXII, the more advanced battle system stuff gets unlocked later into the game.  Part of why I grit my teeth with the gambit system is that the best gambits come so late. Not even the best ones, but the ones that would be patently useful early on.  Slow burn, that's all.

matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By matt

Just past the bit where the thing you fight at the very begging comes back and you fight it again (Trying to avoid spoilers).

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Addfwyn

Oh yeah, you have a TON of time before stuff starts to open up a lot more.  Try slowing it down in settings if you need to.

matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By matt
    @Addfwyn:  Yeah that was good suggestion I completely forgot about that option. I will try it out next time I play, thanks.
    sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By sopranosfan

Yeah Square Enix's new battle system for every game is one of the best and worst thing about every new game that comes out.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Jeust
    @Brackynews said:
    " Don't worry, you have about 15 hours of tutorial progress to get used to it. ;)But seriously, how far along are you?  Much like FFXII, the more advanced battle system stuff gets unlocked later into the game.  Part of why I grit my teeth with the gambit system is that the best gambits come so late. Not even the best ones, but the ones that would be patently useful early on.  Slow burn, that's all. "
    But you could manage well without them. :p
    ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By ricetopher

At the beginning of chapter 8, and by that point the battle system has been fully explained. Only difficulties are coming from not being able to work with the party set-ups I'm given. 

A few tips to those having trouble:

• Every other "turn" (depletion of ATB gauge), if you switch paradigms you get an instant ATB recharge. This is more useful than it sounds.
    • Later on, you'll be using the Sentinel paradigm more directly. It's boring, but many of the fights it's needed in you won't survive if you're entirely offensive. 
    • The stagger gauge depletes slower if commandos are being used as opposed to all ravagers. Start damaging your target with a commando paradigm and then switch to a ravager heavy paradigm to build up the stagger meter quickly.
    • Every time you're switched to a new party line-up, go over your paradigm setups before you fight (if possible). Usually the generated paradigm setups won't match your fighting style.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.