Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

The combat system is PHENOMENAL

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By Jost1

I'm having tons of fun with it. Once it starts getting more complex it gets really engaging. It's not quite at the same level as the infinitely awesome Final Fantasy 12 system but certainly an improvement on 10's.  And speaking of 10, those characters were more annoying than anyone in 13. Well except for Vanille maybe.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By xyzygy

I know. I can't get over how much fun I'm having with it.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By LiquidPrince

Indeed.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Drebin_893

It's adequate.

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CornontheCobbe

Have to agree, it's great alright. Sometimes it actually is a challenge to think of which enemy to attack in order to stun them, which i found most of the other FF games were not as difficult. Except maybe FF13 or so.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Drebin_893 said:
    " It's adequate. "
    Disagree.
    Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jost1

Just to be clear, I'm not a MASSIVE fan of the series or anything. I don't even like VII that much, and I tolerated X. I like VIII and IX.

The only ones I really love are 6 and 12. But 13 is shaping up for sure. The speed of combat, the way you can cancel a move combo, the paradigm shift stuff, it's all great.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8  Edited By KaosAngel

Just use Jammer and and then Enchanter, and just nuke with Blaster Blaster Attacker, or if you have Lightning...use Blaster Blaster Attacker and then switch inbetween her limit break to Blaster Attacker Attacker. 

Once you find out the same tactics work for all mobs, it's kinda dull.  Hah, once you get Lucky Break (gives easy chance for early Break on target), you just nuke and deal over 200,000 damage a hit.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Drebin_893
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " @Drebin_893 said:
    " It's adequate. "
    Disagree. "
    Fair enough.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @josty81 said:
    " I'm having tons of fun with it. Once it starts getting more complex it gets really engaging. It's not quite at the same level as the infinitely awesome Final Fantasy 12 system but certainly an improvement on 10's.  And speaking of 10, those characters were more annoying than anyone in 13. Well except for Vanille maybe. "
    god there is so much about this post that is part of the reasons i cant stand the final fantasy franchise. 
    raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By raviolisumo
    @TwoOneFive said:
    " @josty81 said:
    " I'm having tons of fun with it. Once it starts getting more complex it gets really engaging. It's not quite at the same level as the infinitely awesome Final Fantasy 12 system but certainly an improvement on 10's.  And speaking of 10, those characters were more annoying than anyone in 13. Well except for Vanille maybe. "
    god there is so much about this post that is part of the reasons i cant stand the final fantasy franchise.  "
    Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jost1

@TwoOneFive:
    Yet you're on a subforum dedicated to it ;)
    raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By raviolisumo
    @josty81: You can get to this thread from the front page.
    Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jost1

WELP

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Addfwyn
      Yes, this is probably the best combat system an FF game has had, it takes some time to get off its feet, but it is one the deepest and most engaging the series had had in a while.   Certainly the most challenging it has had in a while.  Also, I have no idea what Kaos is talking about if he claims to have never used more Paradigms than that, especially Sentinel.

@Wes899:

You can also just...not go into threads for games that you dislike, unless you like trolling. 
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I really like the combat system so far, I can die easily if i'm not paying attention and using a defensive healing paradigm shift. Also I thought it was stupid only controlling one characters, however I was wrong. The combat is really too fast and haivng other characters help you, when you direct them through the paradigm shift helpful. They at least put alot of effort in the battle system. 

edit: I do find a few of the boss a bit too difficult though witht he combat system, you can die and the boss might not even lose alot of power until they are staggered which was difficult to do.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By Meowayne
    @josty81 said:
    "the infinitely awesome Final Fantasy 12 system"
    Riiiight.
    Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By Rockdalf

XII's combat system was horrible from over complexity.  Sure it was in-depth but I don't get off tweaking when I'm supposed to be healed and when they should deal damage.

This combat system is alright.  Before you get paradigms it's just a series of how long you can mash "x" and wait to use a potion.  After paradigms it's a series of mash "x" and know when to switch to a healing paradigm then switch back to your other paradigm then continue mashing "x".  At least it'll stress test my new controller. :(

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Rockdalf: It gets easier or harder depending who is in your party as well, yesterday I got through a section with just Snow and Hope and while there was a lot of flip flopping between healing and attacking like usual there were also mobs that could do an attack that would one shot whoever it hit which required you to stay on your toes and switch Snow to a tank so he could taunt and block so the party could actually survive... Those battles were honestly some of the most intense fights I have had in a while, there was seriously no room for error.
    Avatar image for bobby_the_great
    Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Bobby_The_Great
    @josty81:
    It's Hope for me. I can't stand that kid.  

And I agree, this game get's to be a lot of fun.
    lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By lucas_kelly

I prefer a traditional battle system.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#22  Edited By gla55jAw

I am enjoying the battle system, but it is in no way better than FFX's. You can't dis actually being able to pick your abilities.

RedHerb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RedHerb

To me, this game is somewhat reminsiant of Tales of vesperia. Just more stream lined. I think it's the combo system, the fast paced battles, the breaking or fatal strike system, linear dungeons with non random battles, the battle screen and the AI controlled party members.

Except in FF13 your more the director of the battle rather then the actor. 

Also Lighting carries her sword around in sheath like yuri...

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Addfwyn
    @gla55jAw:  
    You can pick your abilities in XIII too, in fact if you know what you're doing, it speeds the battles up notably from just using auto-battle.  Especially when it comes to Saboteur/Synergist/Ravager (and sometimes Sentinel).  Medic and Commando you can usually leave on auto okay, as long as you time your abilities with Commando right.  
    Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Cornman89
    @RedHerb said:
    " Also Lighting carries her sword around in sheath like yuri... "
    Also like Luke from Abyss. And it's badass every time.
    RedHerb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RedHerb
    @Addfwyn:
    Right because status effects stack up to eight times(?), so spamming the debuffs for phyiscal and magic and attack is often better then what the auto battle chooses which might be 3x poison or something more general.

But then again those support classes are often AI controlled so that's no good if you want to do that. I don't know, this battle system...sometimes i get it but others times...

Also with the Ravager when is it better not to just auto battle?
    Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Addfwyn
    @RedHerb: Well, later on when you have more control over your party, I'm partial to controlling the classes like Sab myself. 

I find Ravager is one of the best to manually control, cause the auto-battler lacks a lot of context awareness.  It won't always aoe appropriately, or it may cast an aoe spell of an element that a nearby enemy will absorb.  Also if you want to keep juggling an enemy, sometimes you will want to place Aero more often or in different spots of your combo, in order to float them longer (Aero holds them in the air for a few seconds longer than other spells).  Finally, it isn't really aware of their stagger bar, just a binary whether they are staggered or not.  If my first spell will stagger them, I'll want the followups in the chain to be a spell like Fira that does extra damage on stagger.  It's a bunch of little things, but it adds up to making it more efficient overall.  
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By LiquidPrince

Having a blast with it.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#29  Edited By gla55jAw
    @Addfwyn said:
    " @gla55jAw:  You can pick your abilities in XIII too, in fact if you know what you're doing, it speeds the battles up notably from just using auto-battle.  Especially when it comes to Saboteur/Synergist/Ravager (and sometimes Sentinel).  Medic and Commando you can usually leave on auto okay, as long as you time your abilities with Commando right.   "
    Yeah I know you can pick your abilities but it's different.. I meant more of being able to control all three characters and their input. But I am enjoying this battle system.
    RedHerb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By RedHerb
    @Addfwyn: 
     I see, well that does make sense. I'm playing the bit with team Hope and Snow, chapter 6 or 7.  The sentinel seems to be much more reliant on being in a three man team.  What's vengance all about, doing 500 damage every so often? also do you really need to use provoke x3, does it stack or get more people? 
    Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Addfwyn
    @RedHerb:  
    It spams provoke because provoke basically works like a debuff, so it can fail.  If you see a red ! next to their name, they are provoked.  Otherwise, it didn't work.  It's an AOE as well iirc. 
    Hope/Snow is chapter 7, love that chapter.  Sentinel isn't terribly useful there, cause as you said it's much better in a 3-man team.  It's particularly good when you know a big attack is coming, and you have the time to throw down a provoke/challenge and set up one of the sentinel blocks.  Vendetta is really weak, never really used it.
    spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By spacetrucking

Isn't the FFXIII combat system essentially the same as Dragon Age or older CRPGs now ? If you think about it, the ATB functions the same way as the global cooldown in those games. The abilities with 2-3 ATBs are pretty much spells with longer cast time and cooldowns. The only difference is that you have to go through 2-3 additional menus here to activate those skills instead of picking them straight away from a cursor wheel. It unnecessarily slows down your ability to perform quick actions in combat. Also, you can't control where your character stands which is both good and bad (less positional control, more cinematic combat). 

I'm enjoying it though, I just wish I didn't have to go through so many menus to do what I want.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#33  Edited By Soap

I personally think it's the worst battle system in a final fantasy game. The lack of control you have is staggering, so many battles can be lost to the idiocy of the god damn AI that it's staggering. I can't believe they allowed it to ship like this.

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Cornman89
    @Killjoi said:

" Isn't the FFXIII combat system essentially the same as Dragon Age or older CRPGs now ? If you think about it, the ATB functions the same way as the global cooldown in those games. The abilities with 2-3 ATBs are pretty much spells with longer cast time and cooldowns. The only difference is that you have to go through 2-3 additional menus here to activate those skills instead of picking them straight away from a cursor wheel. It unnecessarily slows down your ability to perform quick actions in combat. Also, you can't control where your character stands which is both good and bad (less player control, more cinematic combat).   I'm enjoying it though, I just wish I didn't have to go through so many menus to do what I want. "

Artificially regulating the flow of battle is, for better or worse, the whole point of turn-based battle systems. Character orientation is only important in games like Grandia, where your position actually impacts who gets hit by what.

Dude, Grandia is awesome.

I get your point about extra layers, though, and could see how FFXIII's groundwork could be adapted to a system that gives you more direct control. Like, if you had a Paradigm-esque system in place for your companions, but the party leader controlled like Bayonetta, that might make for an interesting action RPG, and is maybe something Square will look into in the future.
    spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By spacetrucking
    @Soap said:
    " I personally think it's the worst battle system in a final fantasy game. The lack of control you have is staggering, so many battles can be lost to the idiocy of the god damn AI that it's staggering. I can't believe they allowed it to ship like this. "
    I see what you did there :p 

Actually, I know where you're coming from. The lack of control over party members is unfortunate but at the same time, I don't think you can control all 3 people at the speed the battle takes place in. They should have just gone the full distance and allowed us to pause the combat BioWare style and give us full control over everyone.

Or...maybe I just want FFXIII production values (and crazy Japanese style summons) with Dragon Age combat because I keep thinking of everything I could do in that game and it makes me want to fire up my Origins again.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TwoOneFive

glad to say i have no clue what you guys are talking about.  

spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By spacetrucking
    @Cornman89 said:

" @Killjoi said:

" Isn't the FFXIII combat system essentially the same as Dragon Age or older CRPGs now ? If you think about it, the ATB functions the same way as the global cooldown in those games. The abilities with 2-3 ATBs are pretty much spells with longer cast time and cooldowns. The only difference is that you have to go through 2-3 additional menus here to activate those skills instead of picking them straight away from a cursor wheel. It unnecessarily slows down your ability to perform quick actions in combat. Also, you can't control where your character stands which is both good and bad (less player control, more cinematic combat).   I'm enjoying it though, I just wish I didn't have to go through so many menus to do what I want. "

Artificially regulating the flow of battle is the whole point of turn-based battle systems. Character orientation is only important in games like Grandia, where your position actually impacts who gets hit by what. Dude, Grandia is awesome.  I get your point, though. If you had a Paradigm-esque system in place for your companions, but the party leader controlled like Bayonetta, that might make for an interesting action RPG, and is maybe something Square will look into in the future. "
    Is Grandia also fast paced like FF13 ? If yes, then I'll give it a try. I enjoy the sense of urgency with the FF13 battle system.

To be honest, I haven't played a turn-based RPG since FF6. (Does watching the P4 endurance run count ? :p ) Except for Demon's Souls, I haven't even played a JRPG for the last decade so I really don't know much about the evolution of turn-based combat. I'm usually more of a CRPG or Diablo guy so I'm seeing similarities everywhere because that's all I really know and like.
    liquidsol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By liquidsol
    @Rockdalf said:
    " XII's combat system was horrible from over complexity.  Sure it was in-depth but I don't get off tweaking when I'm supposed to be healed and when they should deal damage.  This combat system is alright.  Before you get paradigms it's just a series of how long you can mash "x" and wait to use a potion.  After paradigms it's a series of mash "x" and know when to switch to a healing paradigm then switch back to your other paradigm then continue mashing "x".  At least it'll stress test my new controller. :( "
    How far have you got into the game?  Some of the later battles require way more strategy than that.
    Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#39  Edited By Soap
    @Killjoi said:
    " @Soap said:
    " I personally think it's the worst battle system in a final fantasy game. The lack of control you have is staggering, so many battles can be lost to the idiocy of the god damn AI that it's staggering. I can't believe they allowed it to ship like this. "
    I see what you did there :p "
    Oh god, I've been banging my head so much against that game recently that I didn't even realise that I'd put that lol.

My main problems with it are the placement of characters, sometimes they chose to bunch up together even when it's getting them owned by a monster with a area effect attack or something. Also, any RPG that allows me to raise other party members and other party members to raise other party members but no one to raise me is horrible. It really limits the combat system.
    Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Cornman89
    @Killjoi said:

" Is Grandia also fast paced like FF13 ? If yes, then I'll give it a try. "

They're pretty different. If anything, the Grandia series is slower-paced than FFXIII. I would recommend Grandia 2, but only if you have a Dreamcast lying around. There's a PS2 port but... yeah, that's not an option.

As for the pausing in the middle of battle like Dragon Age thing... I don't think that would work too well in this game. See, FFXIII speeds up command-execution compared to previous FFs, but fights still generally take the same amount of time to win, which means a lot of repetition. This, actually, was the one big problem I had with FFXIII's battle system--you can hit dudes really fast, but to compensate every boss has like a billion HP, which makes it feel like every boss goes on for too long. Pausing battles to micromanage would make them unbearably long.
    Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Vorbis

I can agree that it's annoying when your whole party is grouped infront of a monster and all of them are being hit by a melee attack, but sometimes they're spread out with only one being hit. The ability to move players would of been nice. But other than that i'm enjoying it alot.

Starting tough fights with syn/med/sab, then com/rav/rav to nuke, bringing in a medic or sentinel depending how badly things are going.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#42  Edited By Rhaknar

im close to 8 hours in, and i too am loving the combat... watching the paradigm system in videos or reading about it, and actually playing with it is completely different.

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43  Edited By Rockdalf
    @liquidsol said:
    " @Rockdalf said:
    " XII's combat system was horrible from over complexity.  Sure it was in-depth but I don't get off tweaking when I'm supposed to be healed and when they should deal damage.  This combat system is alright.  Before you get paradigms it's just a series of how long you can mash "x" and wait to use a potion.  After paradigms it's a series of mash "x" and know when to switch to a healing paradigm then switch back to your other paradigm then continue mashing "x".  At least it'll stress test my new controller. :( "
    How far have you got into the game?  Some of the later battles require way more strategy than that. "
    20 hours or so, I have yet to not use Auto-Set with my leader.  You know.. except when I'm using items, or techniques or changing paradigms.  I understand it gets difficult and requires strategy, but there's yet to be a reason to not use auto-set.
    Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
    Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Soap said:
    in Final Fantasy 12, I essentially set my party to attack what my lead was attacking, then i set my lead to auto attack when i ran to my target. So all i did was walk around and put the controller down, its big flaw in what was a really good system in FF12. 

the SNES/PS1 era games made you fight it its basic form no matter what you did, and it was fun AND it worked.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Rockdalf: Trust me from experience as I and others have said in numerous posts, you can finish battles in half the time by not using auto battle. The AI just isn't aware of everything going on.
    kuwabaratheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#46  Edited By kuwabaratheman

I think it's definitely up there. I'm not sure if I like it better than X's battle system yet, but I'm really enjoying it. I don't even really notice not having control of everyone, because it feels like I do. Paradigm Shifting basically is giving orders to your party members, and the AI always seems to understand what I want it to do.

DAFTPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By DAFTPUNK
    @Meowayne: second that
    inkeiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By inkeiren

This is the most I've enjoyed an RPG since FFX. I am so glad I bought this game.

And yes, the combat is fantastic.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.